PDA

View Full Version : earl trouble in Texas

KLang
01-14-05, 12:51 PM
paddocktalk (http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3978)

According to the Dallas Morning News the IRL's future at TMS is now in 'limbo.' TMS President Eddie Gossage delivered a verbal warning to the future of the IRL in Texas. Increasing fees is the main point of concern.

"We have great races here," Gossage said. "But there again, if we can't afford them - and they're getting pretty doggone pricey - we're going to have to look hard at the future of Indy cars here at all. That's something that's really on my radar screen. We're not here to have a good time," Gossage said. "We're here to have a good time and make a dollar or two in the process."

Is it bad for me to get enjoyment from the distress of others? :)

racer2c
01-14-05, 12:57 PM
Increasing race fees, no ROI. Tracks pulling the plug. Suck it down IRL!

Wheel-Nut
01-14-05, 01:20 PM
Rome is Burning . . . I mean, The British are Coming . . . . Umm, . . . THE SKY IS FALLING!!

Andrew Longman
01-14-05, 01:21 PM
Eddie said IRL right? Not CART? Sounds like complaints against CART circa late 1990's. Nice going TG :p

RobGuru
01-14-05, 01:30 PM

No... absolutely not... if it's the EARL in distress.

Methanolandbrats
01-14-05, 01:47 PM
I thought FTG rented the place, ya mean Gossage has to pay to host that cage match?

Skater_36
01-14-05, 02:02 PM
TMS got the second cup date which means more money and another big event for the track. Gossage is letting the IRL know that a more favorable arrangement for TMS will have to be negotiated because their race is not as important to TMS anymore.

Andrew Longman
01-14-05, 02:07 PM

The Germans have a name for it. I forget what it is though. Something like "dileightudeiwitzpain"

From the article:

"Our fees are still very, very reasonable," Barnhart said. "I don't see that our relationship is any different than it was before."

Relationships are two-way streets. The relationship is different if Eddie says its different.

The IRL is already down to one event at the speedway, which hosted two races from 1998-2004 in a mutually beneficial partnership.

Gossage would like the IRL to remain a fixture on schedule. But the growth in fees has exceeded growth in gate and sponsorship, he said.

Sounds different to me

Winston Wolfe
01-14-05, 02:48 PM
paddocktalk (http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3978)

Any time you can have a press release, or a statement where you are quoted, and the word "doggone" is used..... it must be Texas related.

Does any of what Gossage says strike a chord with the "leaders" of the .1RL ?

Talk about trying to fight your way out of a wet paper bag!

These guys are beginning to resemble the string quartet on the decks on the Titanic more and more as time goes by.... ("Keep playing....keep playing" ) :shakehead

JoeBob
01-14-05, 03:11 PM
Here's the original source: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/motorsports/stories/011405dnspoirllede.5e72f30.html

FORT WORTH - Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage delivered a verbal bumper tap Thursday to the Indy Racing League.

Gossage's message: the IRL's future at the speedway could be in doubt because of increasing fees.

"We have great races here," Gossage said. "But there again, if we can't afford them - and they're getting pretty doggone pricey - we're going to have to look hard at the future of Indy cars here at all. That's something that's really on my radar screen."

The IRL charges different licensing fees to different tracks, with Texas Motor Speedway's fees at the high end.

IRL president Brian Barnhart was surprised by Gossage's remarks.

"Our fees are still very, very reasonable," Barnhart said. "I don't see that our relationship is any different than it was before."

Barnhardt hopes Gossage won't let the IRL "be thrown out the window simply because he has two (Nextel) Cup dates. And I don't think Eddie is the type of person who would do that." While a Nextel Cup race could attract upwards of 200,000 fans, an IRL event is fortunate to draw half that figure.

The IRL is already down to one event at the speedway, which hosted two races from 1998-2004 in a mutually beneficial partnership.

Gossage would like the IRL to remain a fixture on schedule. But the growth in fees has exceeded growth in gate and sponsorship, he said.

"We're not here to have a good time," Gossage said. "We're here to have a good time and make a dollar or two in the process."

TravelGal
01-14-05, 03:29 PM
The Germans have a name for it. I forget what it is though. Something like "dileightudeiwitzpain"

From the article:

Sounds like the former is going up and the later are going down. :D :gomer:

rosawendel
01-14-05, 05:50 PM

Lisa: Dad, do you know what Schadenfreude is?
Homer: (sarcastically) No, I do not know what Schadenfreude is. Please tell me, because I'm dying to know!
Lisa: It's a German term for 'shameful joy', taking pleasure in the suffering of others.
Homer: Oh, come on Lisa. I'm just glad to see him fall flat on his butt!

Andrew Longman
01-14-05, 06:39 PM
Lisa: Dad, do you know what Schadenfreude is?
Homer: (sarcastically) No, I do not know what Schadenfreude is. Please tell me, because I'm dying to know!
Lisa: It's a German term for 'shameful joy', taking pleasure in the suffering of others.
Homer: Oh, come on Lisa. I'm just glad to see him fall flat on his butt!

ding ding ding

Actually the literal translations means damage joy (schaden = damage, freude = joy) No real expression of shame there. But considering how much carnage there has been on track in the IRL and the damage TG has inflicted on open wheel racing, perhaps it is TG who takes a little too much joy and too little shame in watching things blow up.

TorontoWorker
01-14-05, 09:52 PM
While a Nextel Cup race could attract upwards of 200,000 fans, an IRL event is fortunate to draw half that figure.

What is this guy smoking? Fortunate?:rofl:

100K fans @ lets say a low price of $50 bucks each... There would be no problems. If they even came close to this number we wouldn't even be reading a press release such as this.

Or: 10-15K with half of those freebee's. Ummm, Houston: We have a problem...

The problem for the "in your eye league" is that eddie could put super modifieds out on the track and make double what the IRL makes at 10% of the cost. Now when your losing money on these guys - when the income doesn't even pay for the electric bill, it doesn't take long to figure out that this business plan is not working.

Looks good on them mode.

L1P1
01-14-05, 10:55 PM
The IRL should've never gone public. Now it's just about the money.

racer2c
01-14-05, 10:59 PM
:rofl:

Andrew Longman
01-17-05, 12:24 PM

Going public is the only missing piece CART pheonix that is the IRL, no?

Brickman
01-17-05, 12:53 PM
Going public is the only missing piece CART pheonix that is the IRL, no?

You are correct. Same shoes, same footprints, right off the cliff.

Andrew Longman
01-17-05, 01:01 PM
You are correct. Same shoes, same footprints, right off the cliff.

Except if they get bought it will be ISC buying IMS and/or the France's buying the IRL. That won't make me a ton happier.

KK will have a bit more trouble outmanuevering them than the boy wonder

Brickman
01-18-05, 03:24 AM
Except if they get bought it will be ISC buying IMS and/or the France's buying the IRL. That won't make me a ton happier.

KK will have a bit more trouble outmanuevering them than the boy wonder

I agree.

Tony could only emulate. KK has shown the committment with Cosworth to Outwit~Outplay~Outlast Tony and the manufacturers. ISC/France have the brain cells to market and manage, but open wheel Cars as we know them would be changed by them.

Andrew Longman
01-18-05, 11:07 AM
I agree.

Tony could only emulate. KK has shown the committment with Cosworth to Outwit~Outplay~Outlast Tony and the manufacturers. ISC/France have the brain cells to market and manage, but open wheel Cars as we know them would be changed by them.

I'm afraid you're right, and not change for the better. The Frances have not demonstrated that they understand the soul of the road racing fan or anyone that wants anything more than a good show (on TV no less).

They may succeed in making open wheel racing hugely successful in NA, but it won't likely be very interesting.