PDA

View Full Version : SPEED Channel it is.

KLang
01-13-05, 01:06 PM
ChampCar announcement (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8644)

The Champ Car World Series today finalized its 2005 television schedule, announcing a return to SPEED Channel for seven of the 14 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford events, beginning with live coverage of the inaugural Grand Prix of Edmonton July 17.

One of these years it would be nice if they tie these things up a bit earlier.

mueber
01-13-05, 01:26 PM
It’s progress. Lord knows the quality of the broadcast has to improve. Congrats all around.

KLang
01-13-05, 01:31 PM
Missed this the first time I skimmed the article:

In addition, Champ Car has added another race to its network television package for 2005. NBC will broadcast the May 21 event in Monterrey, Mexico live from the temporary road circuit in Fundidora Park. The event will move to Saturday from its original Sunday date. The addition gives Champ Car a total of seven races on network television in 2005, with four events on CBS and three on NBC, including the season-opening Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. Each of the first six races of the Champ Car season will be shown live on CBS or NBC, marking the first time since 1997 that Champ Car will open its year with six consecutive races on network television.

Gnam
01-13-05, 01:33 PM
2005 Champ Car TV Schedule:

NBC - Apr 10: Long Beach
NBC - May 21: Monterrey
CBS - Jun 4: Milwaukee
CBS - Jun 19: Portland
CBS - Jun 26: Cleveland
CBS - Jul 10: Toronto
Speed - Jul 17: Edmonton
Speed - Jul 31: San Jose
Speed - Aug 14: Denver
NBC - Aug 28: Montreal
Speed - Sep 24: Las Vegas
Speed - Oct 16: Korea
Speed - Oct 23: Australia
Speed - Nov 6: Mexico City

*bold indicates LIVE race coverage

Mama Mia! That's a-lotta live coverage!

nrc
01-13-05, 01:41 PM
Seven events on network. The rest on Speed. All but three events live. A nice big plate of crow for the "Midnight on CNBC" crowd. :D

G.
01-13-05, 01:43 PM
Something to look forward to in the month of May!

I don't really know what to make of this. Better go see what Depender thinks...

devilmaster
01-13-05, 02:00 PM
Hopefully, they still have race director.. quals and such would be nice to see as well.

Steve

JoeBob
01-13-05, 02:02 PM
Semi-related. CBS will also be airing 4 F1 races this season. San Marino, Barcelona, and Nurburgring will be shown tape delayed - the Canadian GP will be shown live. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050113/lath071_1.html

devilmaster
01-13-05, 02:12 PM
Semi-related. CBS will also be airing 4 F1 races this season. San Marino, Barcelona, and Nurburgring will be shown tape delayed - the Canadian GP will be shown live. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050113/lath071_1.html

Will CBS still show an ALMS race or 2? makes a semi impressive lineup for the losers of the last nascar contract....

2nd question - does this mean Speed has lost the rights to F1?

Steve

JoeBob
01-13-05, 02:15 PM
There's a thread on the F1 board with all the details, steve. :)

devilmaster
01-13-05, 02:28 PM
So back on topic:

If Speed no longer has F1, Varsha has time for Champcar?

The Doctor
01-13-05, 02:32 PM
So back on topic:

If Speed no longer has F1, Varsha has time for Champcar?

Speed still has F1. Showing all races, practice, or whatever gimmicky qualifying they come up with. Four races on CBS will air on SPEED after the CBS broadcast. Probably the following week as they did with ABC races.

Edit: And still showing F1 Decade.

devilmaster
01-13-05, 02:39 PM
Speed still has F1. Showing all races, practice, or whatever gimmicky qualifying they come up with. Four races on CBS will air on SPEED after the CBS broadcast. Probably the following week as they did with ABC races.

Edit: And still showing F1 Decade.

Ok, the reason I thought they were gone, was after I read JoeBob's link, I went to http://www.speedtv.com/programs/ and looked up F1 in their program list. I don't see any F1 mention.

Steve

Sean O'Gorman
01-13-05, 02:45 PM
Hopefully this means that a closer relationship with SPEED will help bring the Atlantics back to live or same day coverage again.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-13-05, 02:47 PM
A great move.

RichK
01-13-05, 02:57 PM
Great TV package! Because of the late start with SPEED, we probably won't see any qual/practice, but maybe they can build on the relationship for next season.

:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
01-13-05, 03:34 PM
2005 Champ Car TV Schedule:

NBC - Apr 10: Long Beach
NBC - May 21: Monterrey
CBS - Jun 4: Milwaukee
CBS - Jun 19: Portland
CBS - Jun 26: Cleveland
CBS - Jul 10: Toronto
Speed - Jul 17: Edmonton
Speed - Jul 31: San Jose
Speed - Aug 14: Denver
NBC - Aug 28: Montreal
Speed - Sep 24: Las Vegas
Speed - Oct 16: Korea
Speed - Oct 23: Australia
Speed - Nov 6: Mexico City

*bold indicates LIVE race coverage

Mama Mia! That's a-lotta live coverage!

Great package! The fauckers drive by RA on the way from Montreal to Vegas. ****. Maybe next year.

JohnnyQ
01-13-05, 03:50 PM
Anythings better then Spike. Glad they made the move back to SPEED. Judging from past CART moves I figured they were in negs with the FOOD CHANNEL.
I wonder if Tags wife will be making the move for the ever exciting lifestyle segment? :rolleyes:

tllips
01-13-05, 04:34 PM
Speed announcement on WhoWon (http://www.whowon.com/sResults.asp?SanctionID=198&StoryID=141474)

by Eric Mauk
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- The Champ Car World Series today finalized its 2005 television schedule, announcing a return to SPEED Channel... :saywhat:

OOPS! my mistake, I confused Eric Mauk with John Lopes. :eek:

JoeBob
01-13-05, 04:39 PM
Will CBS still show an ALMS race or 2? makes a semi impressive lineup for the losers of the last nascar contract....

3, actually. Here's the CBS racing schedule for ChampCar, F1, and ALMS:

April 16 - ALMS - Road Atlanta
April 24 - F1 - San Marino
May 8 - F1 - Spain
May 22 - ALMS - Mid-Ohio
May 29 - F1 - Nurburgring
June 4 - ChampCar - Milwaukee
June 12 - F1 - Canada
June 19 - ChampCar - Portland
June 26 - ChampCar - Cleveland
July 10 - ChampCar - Toronto
July 17 - ALMS - Infineon

theunions
01-13-05, 04:39 PM
Speed announcement on WhoWon (http://www.whowon.com/sResults.asp?SanctionID=198&StoryID=141474)

:saywhat:

Does Mr. Mauk get to finish his two weeks out at OWRS? Or is he employed separately by WhoWon?

I find it odd that he would be reporting on ChampCar if he now works for Whinedretti.

That came from a ChampCar PR e-mail.

Lopes was the one who left to go to AGR.

Skater_36
01-13-05, 04:58 PM
Great TV package! Because of the late start with SPEED, we probably won't see any qual/practice, but maybe they can build on the relationship for next season.

:thumbup:

I agree. This package is better than last years so it's a step in the right direction.

Gnam
01-13-05, 05:22 PM
3, actually. Here's the CBS racing schedule for ChampCar, F1, and ALMS:

April 16 - ALMS - Road Atlanta
April 24 - F1 - San Marino
May 8 - F1 - Spain
May 22 - ALMS - Mid-Ohio
May 29 - F1 - Nurburgring
June 4 - ChampCar - Milwaukee
June 12 - F1 - Canada
June 19 - ChampCar - Portland
June 26 - ChampCar - Cleveland
July 10 - ChampCar - Toronto
July 17 - ALMS - Infineon

Is CBS tryin to poke NASCAR in the eye by giving road racing a home on network TV?

FCYTravis
01-13-05, 05:32 PM
Jim Liberatore also noted that the package includes tape-delay coverage on SPEED for the entire 10-race 2005 Trans-Am Series schedule. Nice to see Trans-Am back on TV.

indyfan31
01-13-05, 09:21 PM
Jim Liberatore also noted that the package includes tape-delay coverage on SPEED for the entire 10-race 2005 Trans-Am Series schedule. Nice to see Trans-Am back on TV.

Good grief! Champ Car, F1 and Trans Am? I may have to start watching Speed more than once every 2 weeks. :)

Rogue Leader
01-13-05, 11:48 PM
the best part

“CBS Sports is excited to be back televising the premiere open-wheel racing series in the United States.” said CBS Sports Senior Vice-President of Programming Rob Correa.

premiere.... DAMN RIGHT!

JohnHKart
01-14-05, 07:26 AM

Oh thank god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jumping up and down here! I missed the entire season in 2004 thanks to their screwed up non coverage. I've always caught most of the TA races the past 12-14 years so that was a first. And I'm a Tommy Kendall fan so missing the season really sucked. The second seat at Rocketsports seems to rotate, I hope he will be back, but I doubt it.

John

Racing Truth
01-14-05, 12:36 PM
:cool: When compared to last year, this is like "night and day." Network coverage, plus SPEED, who cannot possibly be as awful as Spike.

Andrew Longman
01-14-05, 01:15 PM
Love the package, but does this mean that the preliminary 14 race schedule is now the final? I take it that means RA and a few other rumors are out?