PDA

View Full Version : A new digital camera...

RTKar
01-12-05, 10:47 PM
I did a little online shopping, scraped the cob webs out of my wallet and ordered a new Canon digital SLR with a zoom lense for essentially what the camera alone would have cost at the local Wolf Camera store. I wasn't too happy with the quality of shots from a Nikon I had bought a couple years ago and after seeing what's capable with digital, it was time to switch....kind of bummed though, my favorite track for pics is RA.....

racer2c
01-12-05, 10:56 PM
SLR, sweet. What megapixel is that baby?
I have a Canon digital cam-corder which I've been pretty happy with.

RTKar
01-12-05, 11:12 PM
SLR, sweet. What megapixel is that baby?
I have a Canon digital cam-corder which I've been pretty happy with.

6.3 megapixel, some other cameras had better ratings but I went back to Canon which was my first SLR. I loved my old AE-1 and I talked to SteveH at RA last year who has the Rebel.

racer2c
01-12-05, 11:14 PM
*whistle* 6.3 SLR, SWEET!~

I'm looking forward to some race pics!

FCYTravis
01-12-05, 11:54 PM
The Canon EOS 300D/Digital Rebel. I know it well.

http://railpax.railfan.net/NAIAS2005/RonGuitar3.jpg

Lots more auto show goodies taken with my week-old DigReb can be found at http://railpax.railfan.net/NAIAS2005/

Good choice, RT! :)

RTKar
01-12-05, 11:56 PM
Looking forward to using it, now I just have to get rid of this 56K connection... :p

SteveH
01-13-05, 12:14 AM
Looking forward to using it, now I just have to get rid of this 56K connection... :p

Good choice, I'm very pleased with mine 1 year plus afterwards. :thumbup:

Wanna stock tip? :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
01-13-05, 06:06 AM
You have chosen wisely. :thumbup:

Canon2292
01-14-05, 12:30 AM
Excellent camera, be it the Rebel or the 10D! If your going to shoot Champcar races look into the 100-400L lens. I have a 300 IS L and a 1.4 extender, but the 100-400 would be even better for when you're at the track.
Have fun, you can't outgrow that camera. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
01-14-05, 01:05 AM
You'll like the new camera. I'm a professional photographer with 30 years of experience shooting Nikon gear. As far as the zoom vs fixed focal length goes, the 300 and extender is much better than the zoom. Fixed focal length lenses are sharper. I use an old 300 ED nikkor and 1.4 and it's the sharpest lens I own. Check KEH for used, long glass. Have fun.

RTKar
01-14-05, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the input. :cool:

Methanolandbrats
01-15-05, 10:43 AM
For anyone interested, here is a good article on how much digital SLR cameras have changed in a short time. The first SLR was 1.3 MP and cost $18,000 :) The Rebel and D70 are truly miracles.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6463-7191

Dirty Sanchez
01-15-05, 11:06 AM
new camera gear rules! :thumbup: you have chosen wisely as my year with the rebel has almost changed my life. it is an ideal introduction into the world of digital SLR. you won't regret it.

sounds like you may have a zoom lense on the way... but if you're interested in a used EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III USM (the zoom I used for the better part of last year with the Rebel/300D) drop me a PM. I am ready to let it go for a fair price.

this year I'm sacking up with a new set-up (canon ofcourse!)... and working hard to develop my skills. once you fall in love with watching racing through the viewfinder, its hard to imagine watching it any other way. 2005 can't come soon enough. :cool:

RTKar
01-15-05, 11:08 AM
Excellent camera, be it the Rebel or the 10D! If your going to shoot Champcar races look into the 100-400L lens. I have a 300 IS L and a 1.4 extender, but the 100-400 would be even better for when you're at the track.
Have fun, you can't outgrow that camera. :thumbup:

I may have to look into the 100-400 instead of the 75-300 that I bought. I was planning on adding an extender...I'll have to look at the prices of the 100-400. Thanks for the advice.

mapguy
01-15-05, 11:14 AM
new camera gear rules! :thumbup:

Word. Although I am more of a Pentax guy myself. Learned how to shoot on a K1000 and moved 'up' to a Program Plus. If I can afford it in the new year I am going to snag myself a Pentax *ist D.

Dirty Sanchez
01-15-05, 11:17 AM
I've never used the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L USM before... but I've read lots of reviews on it. It has a funky push/pull design that you won't find on other zoom lenses. Some people really, really hate it. Something to be aware of.

L glass rules... but honestly it may not be worth the pricetag for you at this point anyway (it runs about twice what the Rebel set you back)

Here (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Default.aspx) is a good resource on Canon glass.

Methanolandbrats
01-15-05, 11:41 AM
I may have to look into the 100-400 instead of the 75-300 that I bought. I was planning on adding an extender...I'll have to look at the prices of the 100-400. Thanks for the advice. The difference in sharpness at the long end between a zoom and a fixed focal length is huge. And you should'nt use an extender with a zoom, the images degrade a lot. Extenders are intended for long, fixed focal length lenses. I shoot Nikon and my favorite track lens is a 300 Ff4 Nikkor with or without a 1.4 extender. Both are razor sharp. The Kenko 1.4 Pro Converter is as sharp as the Nikon converter and available for Canon. I also use an 80-200 Nikkor that is almost as sharp as the the 300 for the short end. Here is some long Canon Glass for sale
http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=CE&cid=06&sid=newused&crid=9708190 KEH is a great company to deal with. I should add the 300 and 300 with 1.4 yields 450mm and 630mm equivelent with the 1.5 Nikon Crop, great focal lengths for motorsports.

Methanolandbrats
01-15-05, 11:57 AM
Also, don't discount long, non-autofocus lenses for motorsports. Autofocus is'nt important for motorsports anyway. Here is the current KEH manual focus Canon list http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=CA&cid=06&sid=newused&crid=9708259

I don't know which Canon versions are the best, but in the case of Nikon, you can get a 400 f 3.5 Nikkor, one of the sharpest wide open lenses ever made for about $1000 from KEH. That lens was over $4000 new.

By picking and choosing used stuff, you can build a very sharp, pro caliber outfit on a budget. Have no fear of KEH, their "excellent" equipment looks new and they have a return policy. Even their beat up "bargain" stuff works fine. Happy shopping.

RTKar
01-15-05, 12:07 PM
Thanks again M&B and Crapus, lotsa good links....looks like this will end up costing me more than I thought :p

Methanolandbrats
01-15-05, 01:10 PM
Thanks again M&B and Crapus, lotsa good links....looks like this will end up costing me more than I thought :p Does'nt have to cost you that much. Buy the used 70-300 for the short end and a used 300 f4 for about $1000 with the Kenko 1.4 Pro for $180. You'll have about everything covered with incredible sharpness on the long end. Hey Crapus, did you drop major cash on a 300 2.8 or 400 4.0?

Dirty Sanchez
01-15-05, 01:23 PM
you're confusing him with all that silly Nikon talk! :gomer: :laugh:

thanks for the KEH link, btw. there are some interesting deals there. btw, I like zoom lenses... but I also agree that a fixed focal length at the longer end is the way to go. I'm a fan of autofocus though (what I'm used to anyway). Heard good things about the 1.4x extender in terms of maintaining sharpness/image quality... you do lose one stop in exposure though (right?) so like a 300 f/4 becomes a ~450 f/5.6... not counting the crop factor ofcourse. crop factor on the Rebel is 1.6, btw ;)

best thing is to know what you are going to be shooting and then build your set-up with that in mind. that's one reason why I think zoom lenses are good to start out with because you have options. once you realize that you use a certain range more often, you can look for better, more expensive prime (fixed focal length) lenses.

Dirty Sanchez
01-15-05, 01:33 PM
Hey Crapus, did you drop major cash on a 300 2.8 or 400 4.0?Funny you should ask that question.

I don't have one yet... but, I think the 300 2.8L IS will be mine next month... would really love the 400 2.8L or 500 4.0L but I just can't get over the price tag. Canon's 400 4.0 isn't L glass (its the DO series) and I've read too many conflicting reviews on that lense to feel comfortable with the purchase.

I think the 300 2.8L w/1.4 extender will be a kick-ass set-up... especially if I can get closer to the action this year IYKWIM :D 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L (which I already have) will round out my bag.

Methanolandbrats
01-15-05, 01:37 PM
you're confusing him with all that silly Nikon talk! :gomer: :laugh:

thanks for the KEH link, btw. there are some interesting deals there. btw, I like zoom lenses... but I also agree that a fixed focal length at the longer end is the way to go. I'm a fan of autofocus though (what I'm used to anyway). Heard good things about the 1.4x extender in terms of maintaining sharpness/image quality... you do lose one stop in exposure though (right?) so like a 300 f/4 becomes a ~450 f/5.6... not counting the crop factor ofcourse. crop factor on the Rebel is 1.6, btw ;)

best thing is to know what you are going to be shooting and then build your set-up with that in mind. that's one reason why I think zoom lenses are good to start out with because you have options. once you realize that you use a certain range more often, you can look for better, more expensive prime (fixed focal length) lenses.

Heh, heh, Nikon vs Canon...just like Mac vs PC...WGAF...they both get the job done. All the points I made about Nikon Glass should transfer to Canon. The 300 f4 Canon should be an incredible lens, just like the Nikkor. I mentioned the 400 3.5 nikkor because it is typical of long, fast glass in that it is designed to be shot wide open and often those types of lenses lose sharpness when stopped down, so unless you're shooting low light or intending to shoot wide open, ya might as well buy the slightly slower lens. Yes with a 1.4 converter you lose a stop, so the 300 f4 becomes a 420 5.6. Still fast enough for most outdoor stuff. The only alternative is a 300 2.8 with converter, but that is NOT handholdable. I've gone through the "what lens do I use the most drill" for a long time. I've found the 80-200 f2.8 and 300 f4.0 or 300 with 1.4 to about cover all the places you can shoot without credentials. You can do slight crops in post processing and I do mean slight. As you know, you want to shoot tight so you don't crop much or quality suffers.

Dirty Sanchez
01-15-05, 01:51 PM
j/k about the canon vs. nikon comments... they both make awesome products. just having a little fun :laugh:

just thinking back to when I first got interested in digital photography a couple years ago... I was using this minolta and I thought it was just the coolest thing ever. :D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/MinoltaDimageF100/Images/specsview.jpg

you gotta start somewhere!!! :thumbup:

nissan gtp
01-15-05, 02:07 PM
j/k about the canon vs. nikon comments... they both make awesome products. just having a little fun

just thinking back to when I first got interested in digital photography a couple years ago... I was using this minolta and I thought it was just the coolest thing ever. :D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/MinoltaDimageF100/Images/specsview.jpg

you gotta start somewhere!!! :thumbup:

still good for "spy shots" :laugh:

BTW, you ever gonna get a body to go wit all dose lenses ? :D

Dirty Sanchez
01-15-05, 02:12 PM
still good for "spy shots" :laugh:

BTW, you ever gonna get a body to go wit all dose lenses ? :Dand "drunk mechanic shots" :laugh:

I still have the 300D... 20D will be here soon. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
01-15-05, 02:33 PM
not counting the crop factor ofcourse. crop factor on the Rebel is 1.6, btw ;). Ya, funny you should mention that, I'm about 99% of the way to ordering a D2X. 12mp Nikon body with a neat "high speed crop mode". In crop mode the factor is 2x and it shoots 7mp files at eight frames a second :eek: That way the 300 would be a 600 equiv or an 840 with the extender. Also the high frame rate would be very valuable for motorsports and all my youth sports work. That's the only thing I miss about my Nikon Film SLRs, the high frame rate. In regular, full frame 12mp mode it would be a step up for landscapes and commerical stuff too. Only drawback are the waves of nausea that accompany writing a $4,999.00 check. :D

oddlycalm
01-15-05, 05:53 PM
the waves of nausea that accompany writing a $4,999.00 check. :D I find that closing my eyes and repeating to myself "this is tax deductable, this is tax deductable...." makes me feel around 35% better. ;)

oc

Methanolandbrats
01-15-05, 07:05 PM
I posted some photos :D http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/methanolandbrats/my_photos

Dirty Sanchez
01-15-05, 07:47 PM
Nice! :thumbup:

I'm almost ready to start shooting traffic on the street, I'm jonesing so bad. :D

RTKar
01-15-05, 08:01 PM
Nice! :thumbup:

I'm almost ready to start shooting traffic on the street, I'm jonesing so bad. :D

...sit in your car like you're doing a speed trap.

Methanolandbrats
01-15-05, 09:19 PM
This thread has me kinda worked up too!

RTKar
01-15-05, 09:55 PM

March 6th...Melbourne ;)

racer2c
01-15-05, 10:13 PM
Too much information! :)

Dirty Sanchez
01-16-05, 02:46 PM
Ya, funny you should mention that, I'm about 99% of the way to ordering a D2X.read some reviews on that camera this morning... dang! :eek:

Methanolandbrats
01-16-05, 03:34 PM
read some reviews on that camera this morning... dang! :eek: We'll have to see after DP Review shakes it down. I'm hoping 12MP at ISO 100 yields a big jump in resolution. Hopefully they can match Canon's low noise at high ISO performance, so far they lag in that. The dummies lowered the flash synch speed. The D70 synchs at 1/500 which is a great feature and can really save many situations. All that said, the "crop mode" is very cool. I guess each camera has it's strengths and weaknesses, so a photographer needs one of each. :)

Dirty Sanchez
02-22-05, 02:31 PM
New Rebel 350D is coming...

link (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-350D-Digital-Rebel-XT-Press-Release.aspx)

RTKar
02-22-05, 10:58 PM

link (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-350D-Digital-Rebel-XT-Press-Release.aspx)

I gotta use the one I just bought a couple times first....you picking one up?

Methanolandbrats
02-22-05, 11:32 PM

link (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-350D-Digital-Rebel-XT-Press-Release.aspx) Screw that thing, post some wide open shots with your new "cannon" :D

Dirty Sanchez
02-23-05, 11:08 AM
I got the 20D... with biggie cannon. :gomer: :D Its a handfull... gonna take some getting used to. Hoping we get a warm weekend day soon so I can get some practice in.

Sebring is the first official test drive with the new kit.

Methanolandbrats
02-23-05, 11:31 AM
I got the 20D... with biggie cannon. :gomer: :D Its a handfull... gonna take some getting used to. Hoping we get a warm weekend day soon so I can get some practice in. Sebring is the first official test drive with the new kit. After a little time at the track you will really appreciate the angst film shooters went through with ASA 50 Velvia and a 300 2.8. Clouds moving in were cause for panic as shutter speeds dropped. Also,with transparency film, if you're 1/2 stop off, you're dead. I sure don't miss those days.

Dirty Sanchez
02-23-05, 04:01 PM
I see midgets on tricycles when I read that post. I'm a product of the digital age of photography. I like real photography but won't pretend to really know anything about it. :D

Methanolandbrats
02-23-05, 04:20 PM
I see midgets on tricycles when I read that post. I'm a product of the digital age of photography. I like real photography but won't pretend to really know anything about it. :D If you had to set your digital SLR on ISO 50 no matter what the light conditions :eek: , the game would be a whole lot tougher. That's all it means. That's why the first generation of long 2.8 glass was such a miracle for sports shooters. There was also no margin for error with transparency film....no saving em later with curves.

Dirty Sanchez
02-23-05, 05:34 PM
ISO 50 and long slow glass? impossible. :saywhat:

hey... do you use any kind of ballhead-a-ma-jig thingy? I'm thinking of just attaching monopod directly to the lense collar. thoughts? I don't want to spend anymore money right now dammit! :mad: :D

The Doctor
03-29-05, 09:55 PM
Question for the camera experts here.

Looking at starting to get a little more serious in my digital photog dabbling. I've been reading up and learning some of the basic settings, adjustments, etc. Been practicing some. Looking for something in the $500 range. The first two I've taken a serious look at have been the Konica Z5 and the Panasonic ZF5. 5MPs each, and from research it looks like the ZF5 has an advantage except for the CCD anti-shake on the Konica. Waiting for DP Review to get to it, too. Anything else in that range with a pretty good zoom that would be better? Looking for a good camera to begin honing skills and techniques on.
Thanks. :)

Methanolandbrats
03-29-05, 10:19 PM
Question for the camera experts here.

Looking at starting to get a little more serious in my digital photog dabbling. I've been reading up and learning some of the basic settings, adjustments, etc. Been practicing some. Looking for something in the $500 range. The first two I've taken a serious look at have been the Konica Z5 and the Panasonic ZF5. 5MPs each, and from research it looks like the ZF5 has an advantage except for the CCD anti-shake on the Konica. Waiting for DP Review to get to it, too. Anything else in that range with a pretty good zoom that would be better? Looking for a good camera to begin honing skills and techniques on.
Thanks. :) If you're dead set on a fixed lens camera, make sure you get one that is wide enough on the wide end. Usually that is the 35mm film camera equivelent of a 28mm lens. The wide end is critical for indoor family stuff, landscapes, architecture and other stuff. You can search by features on DP Review and find the wider fixed lens cameras. Nikon 5400 is sharper than hell and the price has dropped to the point it's almost free.
Here's another point. All digital cameras except SLR (interchangable lens) models have shutter lag. That means there is a significant period of time between you pushing the button and the photo being taken. This can be a problem even shooting slow moving stuff.
Since you're on this forum, I assume you want to shoot photos at the races. Please consider coming up with the cash for a Nikon D70 Kit. For $1200 you get a really good SLR with a sharp 28-105 lens. YOu can add a pretty good telephoto for $300. It's a kit you can grow with for a long time. Every single person I know who said "i'm getting more into photography" and then went and bought a point and shoot camera ended up buying the SLR a year later.

manic mechanic
03-29-05, 11:19 PM
Just my 2c worth, Doc.

I own a Fuji S602z (at the time it was the best of the fixed-lens digitals) and I rarely regret buying it. I have shot alongside the LAT guys trackside with it and the results are pretty good.

The latest model in that line (the S7000) is readily available for well under $600 and uses the same CCD sensor as the S2pro (12.3mp) to produce a 6.1mp image.

If you can't do the digital SLR yet, this style of camera has the flexibility to do just about everything that any member of your family wants to do (as I suspect it will be passed down if/when you decide to make the step to a better rig).

BTW: I have owned the 602 for almost 3 years now, and I'm looking at purchasing a Digital SLR as we speak.

manic

indyfan31
05-23-05, 12:41 PM
Well I took the plunge this weekend. Samys Camera had a package deal I couldn't resist. I got:

The D70 w/ 18-70mm
a Nikon 70-300mm
a camera bag, 1 Gig card, tripod, 2-year extended warranty, Epson R200 printer and 500 free prints for a grand total of $1395 (+tax) after 2 - $100 rebates.

It's bigger than I thought it would be, but a little lighter than the Canon. I'm still reading the encyclopedia that passes for a manual.

indyfan31
05-23-05, 12:57 PM
To further stir the pot in the Canon vs. Nikon debate. Back in '92 I bought two cameras for testing: A Minolta SLR and a Canon SLR (Rebel S). The Minolta had better picture quality but the Canon had a whole lot better features.
After a week or two I returned the Nikon, and regreted it for years.
Afterwards I also picked up an Olympus OM-1 that put the Rebel to shame in picture quality regardless of film or filters. Ever since then I vowed to stay away from Canon lenses.

IlliniRacer
05-23-05, 04:36 PM
After being extremely stubborn, I bought a digital camera:

Canon Rebel XT 8.0 MegaPixel.

What the he77 took me so long? The camera is awesome and I can use all of my lenses from my Elan 7.

BTW. I am selling my Canon Elan 7e body. PM me if you are interested.

Dirty Sanchez
05-23-05, 06:27 PM
picked up a Canon Powershot SD500 for candids today :thumbup:

pretty sweet little camera.

Methanolandbrats
05-23-05, 10:03 PM
Candids of what? :D

rocket
05-24-05, 08:13 AM
My new toy

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/fz20/index.html

Forza Lancia
05-24-05, 11:37 AM
My new toy

Good choice. I bought a Panasonic FZ10 about a year ago. You will have a lot of fun with your "new toy."

ilferrari
05-24-05, 11:44 AM
My new toy

Yeah, I got a FZ10 Lumix last July. The Leica lenses /12x optical zoom on the Lumix's are what make them stand out.

Dirty Sanchez
05-24-05, 11:58 AM
Candids of what? :Dwouldn't you like to know :cool:

there are many situations where I don't wanna lug the big SLR... and the SD500 is about a size of a pack of smokes. 7.1 megapixels, DIGIC II image processing and acceptable image quality. its primarily for the wife... but I will take it with me on trips as well.

If I want, I can always break out the big guns ;)

my next purchase will probably be a 15mm fisheye.