PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Lauda have mercy!

rabbit
01-11-05, 02:07 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/14658/

A move stateside is Mathias Lauda’s new priority for the 2005 season, his manager - and brother - Lukas revealed to Autosport magazine. 22-year-old Mathias, the son of three-time World Champion Niki Lauda, is reportedly in negotiations with Gerry Forsythe’s outfit.

Lauda made 10 FIA F3000 starts this season, with a best finish of sixth at Monza. However, the Austrian is unwilling to attempt a sophomore season in the GP2 series, the championship regarded as F3000’s successor.

“It is easier to find a budget of three million dollars for Champ Cars than 1.2 million for a series such as the GP2, where no one knows how it will evolve,” said Lukas Lauda. “More so, if you are performing nicely in Champ Cars as a rookie, as seventh or so, you are the hero. If you finish third or fourth in GP2, no one will give a toss.”

Lukas is believed to be in Chicago at the moment in an attempt to seal the deal with Forsythe, which could put the Austrian alongside Paul Tracy, Rodolfo Lavin and a possible fourth Forsythe entry in this year’s Champ Car World Series. “Mr. Forsythe even wants to invest some money into the career of Mathias,” concluded Lukas.

RichK
01-11-05, 02:14 PM
Lazy Racing! Lazy Racing! :laugh:

theunions
01-11-05, 02:24 PM
Mathias=Lukas?

JohnnyQ
01-11-05, 02:56 PM
So he has his sights set on 7th? Looks like Gonzalez and Phillipe have some competion?

JohnnyQ
01-11-05, 03:11 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/14658/

I'd love to sit in on those negotiations.

Mathias- I want to drive a Champcar. :)

Forsythe- Give me 20 million and make sure your Dads in the pits every race for photo opts. :laugh:

Mathias- I thought you wanted to invest in my career? :cry:

Forsythe-Oh..we do. We'll invest in your career when your check clears.

L1P1
01-11-05, 06:15 PM
“It is easier to find a budget of three million dollars for Champ Cars than 1.2 million for a series such as the GP2..."

Well that's a positive statement.

Railbird
01-11-05, 08:27 PM
That whole paragraph was pretty positiive comming from a kid with his connections.

Three years experience ain't much though.

GOFAST1
01-11-05, 08:48 PM
In my opinion, this is great news all around. The old man that used to mock this formula is not going to be the biggest PR machine through Europe and the world. He's 22 and I am all in favor of young drivers coming to champcar to make it exciting, instead of 40 and up, merry-go-round sunday drives. I don't remember Alex Zanardi being a big deal in F-1 before he came to champcar, and when he came to the states, he changed the rules, he changed everything. he was the measure of greatness. i'm sure he's going to be better than walter sales and the rest of the gang in the bench mark community. Give the kid a chance, and right now in the time of build-up, we need any help we can get with sponsors, names, etc...

Dr. Corkski
01-12-05, 06:00 AM
There is a reason no one wants to pay for him to race in Europe anymore even if he has a famous last name.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-12-05, 10:39 AM
As I recall in Meine Story, Herr Lauda asked for a million dollars from Ron Dennis to drive the McLaren. One dollar for his driving ability and $999,999 for the PR involved.

Perhaps they can do the same for the Rat Jr.

Forza Lancia
01-12-05, 12:58 PM
In my opinion, this is great news all around.... He's 22 and I am all in favor of young drivers coming to champcar to make it exciting, instead of 40 and up, merry-go-round sunday drives. I don't remember Alex Zanardi being a big deal in F-1 before he came to champcar, and when he came to the states, he changed the rules, he changed everything. he was the measure of greatness. i'm sure he's going to be better than walter sales and the rest of the gang in the bench mark community. Give the kid a chance, and right now in the time of build-up, we need any help we can get with sponsors, names, etc...

Well, if I recall correctly, Alex had finished second (to Christian Fittipaldi!) in the F3000 championship a couple of years before he came to CART, so he was more accomplished than Mathias. But I still agree with your sentiments. Let's see what he can do with a competitive team -- and the name exposure for ChampCar can't hurt. It's good to know that upcoming drivers are seeing ChampCar as good career move.

formulaben
01-12-05, 04:16 PM
Lazy Racing! Lazy Racing! :laugh:

:rofl:

Easy
01-13-05, 03:30 PM
Mathias=Lukas?

Lukas=Older brother/manager/sponsor finder

Niki hasn't helped Mathias all that much with his racing career. He didn't want his sons to race so he offered no assistance.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-14-05, 10:27 AM
Lukas=Older brother/manager/sponsor finder

Niki hasn't helped Mathias all that much with his racing career. He didn't want his sons to race so he offered no assistance.Kind of like what his grandfather did with him.

Joe in LA
01-14-05, 03:38 PM
I believe Niki is now helping him a bit--once he realized Mathias would not give up easily, he got more involved.