PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle

rabbit
01-10-05, 09:14 PM
Well, after 70 hours without electricity, I am back in the land of the non-Amish.

We got nailed with nearly two inches of ice Wednesday night, toppling trees and power lines and leaving 80 percent of Lima and more than half of the county without electricity. At one point nearly 90,000 just in Allen County were affected. There were so many power lines down that the city was put into lockdown mode with only emergency personnel allowed to be out on the roads for nearly two days.

When I was finally able to get out and about, I couldn't believe it. The place looked like a tornado had gone through. In fact, the AEP line guys said this was as bad as any tornado they had seen. Wires were tangled like a bowl of spagetti. Then, on top of that, we got five inches of snow Friday night, knocking down even more trees. I still haven't been to Ada, where I go to school. We haven't had class in nearly a week. The city was impassable and the university's gym was turned into a shelter.

Fortunately, I have a wood fireplace and had just picked up a truckload of wood before Christmas. So I had some heat. The only thing we really lacked was hot water for showers. It was kind of nice to spend some quiet time with the family, playing board games and coming up with creative ideas to break the boredom. But I'm glad to see things start to get back to normal.

Audi_A4
01-10-05, 11:46 PM
Welcome back to civilization.
Where is Lima and Allen County?

Al Czervik
01-11-05, 12:02 AM
Where is Lima and Allen County?

Northwest Ohio

AEP = you will have to find an Alternative to Electric Power.

Michaelhatesfans
01-11-05, 01:02 AM
Back in the saddle

Oh, a blackout. I thought you got laid! :cool:

rabbit
01-11-05, 01:16 AM
Oh, a blackout. I thought you got laid! :cool:
90,000 people without power for three-plus days... I imagine there was some of that too. ;)

rabbit
01-11-05, 01:20 AM
Where is Lima and Allen County?What Al said. Lima is right on the I-75 corridor, just a smidgen South of halfway between Detroit and Cincinnati.

Michaelhatesfans
01-11-05, 01:23 AM
90,000 people without power for three-plus days... I imagine there was some of that too. ;)
Now you've got me hoping my power goes out. :laugh:

Ankf00
01-11-05, 02:29 AM
ABC news is reporting OGorman sightings at local power relay stations attempting to take down transformer relays... more on this story at 10:00pm.