PDA

View Full Version : IRL to meet with Engine Mancfacturers.

devilmaster
01-10-05, 04:07 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_Story.asp?ID=110390

Indy Racing League officials will sit down with its three engine manufacturers today to discuss engine regulations for the 2007 season and beyond.

Series officials are also going to use the meeting to try and persuade Chevrolet to reverse its decision to leave the sport at the end of this year.

"I told them that keeping Chevy should be their top priority," Honda Performance Development general manager Robert Clarke told the Indianapolis Star. "Bringing in someone new will be more difficult than keeping Chevy, and both are going to be very difficult, it seems."

But Chevy IRL manager Joe Negri says there's no chance the manufacturer will be back in 2006. Depending on the regulations adopted for 2007, its possible Chevrolet could make return.

However, if the IRL elects to switch back to a production-based power plant, then Honda and Toyota are expected to re-evaluate their commitment to the series.

General Motors announced its decision to leave the IRL in November, saying the series no longer met its business objectives. GM Racing director Doug Duchardt also blamed declining television ratings and attendance for the decision to leave.

Engine costs have tripled since 2002 as a result of Honda and Toyota joining the series. Only 19 cars are expected to turn up for the IRL test later this month and the 33 car field for the Indianapolis 500 is not looking good at this point.

Honda will supply engines for 10 cars and may add one more for the 500 while Toyota has commitments to supply seven cars. Chevrolet will supply two cars but could add to that total for the May race.

The IRL hopes to have a decision on the new engine formula by May.

oddlycalm
01-10-05, 07:34 AM
My bet is that TG annouces within a year that the i500 will return to the junk formula from the 1930's as a move to reconnect with the true roots of US racing... :gomer: Now if I can just find a supercharged Studebaker motor and pick up one of the many rollers being auctioned off and fire up the cutting torch.... :laugh:

oc

Spicoli
01-10-05, 09:54 AM
I hope this meeting goes poorly. :gomer:

cart7
01-10-05, 10:04 AM
Haaa! and at the same time, sewers in the Indy area are exploding left and right!

Coincidence?

I think not. :cool:

Ozarkian
01-10-05, 01:17 PM
My bet is that TG annouces within a year that the i500 will return to the junk formula from the 1930's as a move to reconnect with the true roots of US racing... :gomer: Now if I can just find a supercharged Studebaker motor and pick up one of the many rollers being auctioned off and fire up the cutting torch.... :laugh:

oc

I think you're on to something here, because, as I remember, riding mechanics were always part of the "Vision."

Methanolandbrats
01-10-05, 01:30 PM
Yup, years ago I said the 500 was going to turn into a multi-day vintage festival. Afterall, the formation of the IRL was an attempt to turn back the clock. They've got the track and museum and that will soon be the only option.

Michaelhatesfans
01-10-05, 01:39 PM
IRL to meet with Engine Mancfacturers.

:laugh: Take your kneepads, Tony!

racer2c
01-10-05, 01:49 PM
"I told them that keeping Chevy should be their top priority," Honda Performance Development general manager Robert Clarke told the Indianapolis Star

Meaning that will be their only option left! The IRL will announce that in keeping with their original 'vision' and to regain control over the evil Japanese engine manufactures, they are going with a production based engine. This will give T&H an easy out leaving Chevy the sole supplier. Sponsors will drop like flies. Sponsors leave, teams fold, no more IRL.

Ankf00
01-10-05, 02:04 PM
I hope Barnhardt has a raging case of dysentery the day of.

Ozarkian
01-10-05, 02:42 PM
It's funny, but I'm just not seeing a good resolution for the .1rl. The good thing is that it's all Brian Barnhart's fault. At least that's what Tony will tell Mari and his sisters, while explaining that it's really hard to find good help these days ...

Spicoli
01-10-05, 02:53 PM
Cokeboi will get his arse handed to him by the nice Japanese men. :gomer:

hope Fred rested up! :p

Andrew Longman
01-10-05, 03:27 PM
IRL to meet with Engine Mancfacturers.

:laugh: Take your kneepads, Tony!

He'll need more than that. I expect he'll be walking kinda funny for a while afterwards

Wabbit
01-10-05, 03:55 PM
What would be really funny is if Honda and Toyota re-upped for another 3 years, and Chevy changes it's mind about leaving. :rofl:

Spicoli
01-10-05, 04:02 PM
What would be really funny is if Honda and Toyota re-upped for another 3 years, and Chevy changes it's mind about leaving. :rofl:

And Carmen Electra was a virgin again! :gomer:

pinniped
01-10-05, 04:04 PM
Stock blocks ahoy! Uncle Clem can't wait, he's got a bunch of old Holley 4-barrels and some Craftsman tools lying around.

Andrew Longman
01-10-05, 04:17 PM
How about they go back to turbines? Granatelli would be happy :)