PDA

View Full Version : Formula One versus Nascar

pinniped
01-10-05, 02:41 AM
Anyone else get a kick out of Frank Williams' comments tonight on Speed News...that Jeff Gordon is presently a "Nascar entertainer" who might have been able to become a "formula one racer"...lol...

Let's see if this one gets closed... :D

oddlycalm
01-10-05, 07:44 AM
Glad to see Frank hasn't lost the dry wit. On the other hand I heard from a reliable source (Ginger down at Piggly Wiggly in Spartenburg, SC) that Sir Frank had #24 shaved into the hair on his back last year. :confused:

oc

gjc2
01-10-05, 08:11 AM
Sir Frank is correct.

George

anait
01-10-05, 11:25 AM
Yes, that was definitely a zinger!! :D

Ziggy
01-10-05, 06:31 PM
Frank used to be addicted to Kung Fu movies

no kidding

and I liked the comment, very true :thumbup:

nissan gtp
01-10-05, 08:34 PM
he was pretty complimentary of Jeffie, but the entertainer thing was very funny :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
01-10-05, 08:59 PM
Frank is a funny guy. At one time he had two injured drivers and two damaged cars. A reporter asked "how will you replace your drivers?" Frank replied "I can get a driver with a phone call, it takes weeks to build a car". :rofl:

jonovision_man
01-10-05, 10:41 PM
Frank is a funny guy. At one time he had two injured drivers and two damaged cars. A reporter asked "how will you replace your drivers?" Frank replied "I can get a driver with a phone call, it takes weeks to build a car". :rofl:

:)

Classic Sir Frank, never one to value drivers highly... just ask Juan or Ralf... or Damon Hill... or Jacques Villeneuve... etc.

jono

cart7
01-10-05, 11:13 PM

HaHa, that's a good one. :rofl:

Jervis Tetch 1
01-11-05, 10:54 AM
:)

Classic Sir Frank, never one to value drivers highly... just ask Juan or Ralf... or Damon Hill... or Jacques Villeneuve... etc.

jono
or Carlos, A.J., Clay, Nelson, Nige...

It's that dry, British sense of humour. :p

pinniped
01-11-05, 08:15 PM
Williams does value experience - a lot - he rarely will take on a young driver, unless he for some odd reason has a seat vacant and has a good test driver who he can trust. But he just doesn't want to pay for that level of experience. In the mid-90s when his cars were as dominant as the current Ferraris, if not more so, he could get away with it...that's why he had Senna offering to "drive for free" in 03 and why he could push drivers out the door right after they had won world championships (and thereby began wanting to be really paid)...he did it to Mansell, Prost, and Hill didn't he? Not sure if he did that with Villeneuve or if JV had too much cash thrown at him by the whole BAR startup deal to ever refuse it...

jonovision_man
01-12-05, 08:13 AM
Williams does value experience - a lot - he rarely will take on a young driver, unless he for some odd reason has a seat vacant and has a good test driver who he can trust. But he just doesn't want to pay for that level of experience. In the mid-90s when his cars were as dominant as the current Ferraris, if not more so, he could get away with it...that's why he had Senna offering to "drive for free" in 03 and why he could push drivers out the door right after they had won world championships (and thereby began wanting to be really paid)...he did it to Mansell, Prost, and Hill didn't he? Not sure if he did that with Villeneuve or if JV had too much cash thrown at him by the whole BAR startup deal to ever refuse it...

Well, he took on Jacques with zippo F1 experience, gave Button his debut at a very young age. I just think he's looking for good bang for the buck. There are a lot of drivers out there who want to drive in a top team, he has a top team. We'll see if he's right this year, top young gun and not-as-good-as-Kimi Nick or Pizza-boy.

jono

pinniped
01-12-05, 01:55 PM
Well, he took on Jacques with zippo F1 experience, gave Button his debut at a very young age. I just think he's looking for good bang for the buck. There are a lot of drivers out there who want to drive in a top team, he has a top team. We'll see if he's right this year, top young gun and not-as-good-as-Kimi Nick or Pizza-boy.

jono

I guess that's true...he also took on ralfie boy when he was fond of crashing...