PDA

View Full Version : And the Pooky goes to...

dando
01-10-05, 12:16 AM
This covers both series, so I put it in Others. RM's latest musings on Speed:

http://speedtv.com/commentary/14574/

There are a few good jabs and some well-deserved kudos in there. My fave:

• Bobby Rahal and Adrian Fernandez walked off with a WEAZEL after slinking out of Champ Car to join the IRL full-time. Nobody faulted their business motives (money from Honda) in this economy but it was truly insulting to hear the three-time CART champ, former CEO and longtime IRL basher suddenly singing the praises of Tony George's vision. Ditto for Muchacho and Michael Andretti. Play the game boys, just don't throw away all your dignity. Take a lesson from Gil de ferran -- he did it honestly and KOOL Aid never touched his lips.

-Kevin

nrc
01-10-05, 12:20 AM
What did weasels ever do to deserve that kind of slurr?

racer2c
01-10-05, 12:27 AM
Miller's flip floppin' bugs the crap out of me any more. Pick a side and stick with it. :thumdown:

Ankf00
01-10-05, 12:47 AM
Dave Barry has hereby banned the use of the term "flip-flop."

mueber
01-10-05, 10:21 AM
My fav.: "The WEASEL was named in honor of Roger Penske"

Andrew Longman
01-10-05, 10:33 AM
My favorites...

• Bob Jenkins got a POOKY for actually saying on the IMS public address system that "Felipe Giaffone's average speed should be safe enough to get him in the show." Four laps in the Marmon Wasp got you in the show the past two years. (and what a week later he was doing a CCWS broadcast?)

• Ed Carpenter hit everything but the Lottery in 2004 to nail a SLAMMY. :rofl:

• Tony George cashed in with a POOKY and a WEASEL. First, the IMS president announced a new qualifying format for May that gives each car 12 chances to qualify if needed. Boy, that's guaranteed to bring back the crowds. Can you imagine the thrill of watching Kosuke Matsuura go out at noon, 3 and 5 o'clock? Especially on Bump Day. Oh yeah, there hasn't been any bumping the past two years because there isn't enough cars. On top of that, the IRL founder announced his all-oval series would be running two road races and a street race in 2005 which means he now has officially reneged on everything the League supposedly represented -- all ovals, American short track drivers, no road racing, no engine leases, no foreign races, no Japanese manufacturers controlling the teams. You get the picture. (got it long ago)

• Chip Ganassi carried off a SLAMMY for failing to win an IRL race as defending champ Scott Dixon only led three laps all season. As an added bonus, none of his 3-car NASCAR team qualified for The Chase for The Cup. (I did not realize his cup teams were also so off :thumbup: )

Wheel-Nut
01-10-05, 10:49 AM
My favorites...

• Chip Ganassi carried off a SLAMMY for failing to win an IRL race as defending champ Scott Dixon only led three laps all season. As an added bonus, none of his 3-car NASCAR team qualified for The Chase for The Cup. (I did not realize his cup teams were also so off :thumbup: )

If memory serves me, Sterling Marlin hit everything except the Daily double.

Beevis
01-10-05, 12:26 PM
Dave Barry has hereby banned the use of the term "flip-flop."My guess is that Mr. Barry was simply borrowing the list from the good folks at Lake Superior State University.

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

Peter Venkman
01-10-05, 10:51 PM
"...the IRL founder announced...."

Not to be picky, but wouldn't that be IRL Flounder?