PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman Escapes uninjured

fourrunner
01-08-05, 08:25 PM
This is the last thing we need

http://www.comcast.net/News/ENTERTAINMENT//XML/3010_General_Auto_Racing_News/74f1747a-29d9-41d2-9fd0-73ca45a75bb5.html

I Love this guy!!

Do your thing Paul but stay safe !!

Sean O'Gorman
01-08-05, 09:00 PM
That was the same car that was in this crash:

http://members.cox.net/sogorman35/grandamcrash.jpg

Supposedly the car is toast now; hopefully they can find a new one in time for the race, it'll be a shame if Newman, Bourdais, and da Matta can't race.

Anteater
01-08-05, 09:08 PM
Glad to hear that Paul's OK!

pinniped
01-09-05, 02:57 AM
79!!!??? This guy is awesome.

(I guess he likes grand am too :p )

DaveL
01-09-05, 12:06 PM
I'm glad he's ok but I'm sorry, I think he's too old to be playing race car driver.

CART License
01-09-05, 09:57 PM
"Newman was driving a Daytona Prototype sports car for next month's Rolex 24 when he spun on the road course, said Adam Saal, Grand American Series spokesman. The car didn't hit anything, but when Newman tried to restart the engine it caught fire"

Anteater
01-10-05, 04:28 PM
I'm glad he's ok but I'm sorry, I think he's too old to be playing race car driver.

Paul Newman may be in agreement with you; on Speed News, he pretty much said that this is his last hurrah. He is going to be 80 just before the Rolex 24! :eek:

Sean O'Gorman
01-10-05, 05:29 PM
:(

I'd keep racing until I was physically incapable if I was him. I'd be racing on a much more frequent basis too. I couldn't imagine what life would be like after stepping out of a race car for the last time. It'd be like sitting on your couch and waiting for death, I guess.

They actually showed clips of Daytona test days and of Newman walking away from his burning car ten minutes into the news last night. It is a shame that the only time that Grand-Am or ALMS get any mainstream press is when a famous person's race car burns to the ground.

cart7
01-10-05, 05:33 PM
IIRC, didn't Paul take a top 5 in the Speed GT race at Limerock last year in the rain? :confused:

rabbit
01-10-05, 05:34 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/51654_pn.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
01-10-05, 05:36 PM
IIRC, didn't Paul take a top 5 in the Speed GT race at Limerock last year in the rain? :confused:

I think it was Trans-Am, in '03.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-11-05, 10:57 AM
At 79 they should start taking away his liscense!

L1P1
01-11-05, 06:20 PM
On the Today show Campbell Brown said only that Newman was practicing for "an event in Florida next month." Seems like the fact that he's running in the Rolex 24 at age 79 would be noteworthy in itself.

Winston Wolfe
01-11-05, 07:31 PM
On the Today show Campbell Brown said only that Newman was practicing for "an event in Florida next month." Seems like the fact that he's running in the Rolex 24 at age 79 would be noteworthy in itself.

Campbell Brown only says what the teleprompter tells her to.
She probably forgets anything and everything she just said, anyway ? :shakehead
Newman is alot better at 79 that alot of people are at 59, fer crissakes.
As long as he can pass the vigorous physical requirements of racing, why does age have anything to do with it. He is smart enough to know when he CAN'T do it any more. There doesnt have to be a bunch of keyboard jockeys calling for banning him from racing. When he starts doing stupid **** on the track, he'll "pulls the chute" and take himself out..... last thing he wants to do is kill himself driving a car for fun, when he still has millions of dollars to spend, and more charitable efforts to support before he calls it quits for good.

Sean O'Gorman
01-11-05, 07:54 PM
Campbell Brown only says what the teleprompter tells her to.
She probably forgets anything and everything she just said, anyway ?

"You stay classy, San Diego. I'm Ron Burgundy?" :saywhat:
"Dammit! Who typed a question mark on the Teleprompter? How many times do I have to tell you, anything you put up there, he will read!"

:laugh:

racer2c
01-11-05, 07:59 PM
"You stay classy, San Diego. I'm Ron Burgundy?" :saywhat:
"Dammit! Who typed a question mark on the Teleprompter? How many times do I have to tell you, anything you put up there, he will read!"

:laugh:

Holy Crap! I thought the same thing just five minutes ago when I read that!

I saw Anchorman last night. Very funny.

Sean O'Gorman
01-11-05, 08:07 PM
:thumbup:

Oh yeah, and you can't forget "And I'm Ron Burgundy. Go f**** yourself, San Diego."

pinniped
01-11-05, 08:09 PM
What Wolfeman said....I used to think that Newman was too old to drive a few years ago. Then he ran in the 24 at age 75 or so and was still competitive. I also caught that drive of 03, he was in a Rocketsports Jaguar if I remember correctly, and drove the wheels off of that thing! It was quite exciting to watch, regardless of his age.

Some persons can be very capable at old ages. I used to see this old coot around here who was 65 if a day, and he would blow past me on uphills when I went mountain biking...