PDA

View Full Version : Silly Season Help, Please...

NismoZ
01-08-05, 07:01 PM
Fact & Rumor: Bruno is out of the Team Newman Rolex ride. DaMatta is (probably) in. A one-off, sure, but does this portend any moves back at N/H? DaMatta may be asking for more than Haas wants to shell out, especially if he is to run a 3 car effort (which some are saying he does NOT want to do) DaMatta MAY be shopping his talents elsewhere (like PKV, or Forsythe) BUT King Carl has the option! NOW, can CC do itself a favor for a change by keeping the series, the teams, the drivers AND the fans happy by making sure there is a place for both of these guys? I'm just guessing Mr. Vasser would rather have Bruno as a teammate at PKV than DaMatta. I'm also guessing Haas would rather run 2 cars (with DaMatta instead of Bruno), but then again he could save even more by shopping Cris's contract than Bruno's (?) Remember what has been said about "keeping teams and the series strong" (KK) I think Haas will run a 2 car team and either Bruno or DaMatta will drive for someone else. Too silly?

devilmaster
01-08-05, 07:11 PM
Here's TSN's silly season page....

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/cart/feature.asp?fid=864

Steve

Railbird
01-08-05, 09:14 PM
Shorty either gets a seat or he doesn't, I wouldn't disrupt much just to see him on the grid.

NismoZ
01-09-05, 12:51 PM
Oh, I don't know. I think bringing in new talent is all well and good but when an opportunity comes to run a former champ I think it should be taken advantage of. I'd call Jourdain leaving and DaMatta returning to be a gain (or at least no loss) for the series. Bourdais and DaMatta on different teams might also be better for the series AND N/H. Like you say, it happens or it doesn't, and I suppose $$$ will be the determining factor.

NismoZ
01-09-05, 01:39 PM
And...If FORD is committed to NASCAR, Grand Am, USAC and NHRA (their statement) then what about ChampCar? No mention. I understand the sale of Cosworth changed some dynamics, but I wonder if Ford will have a role in CC at all? :( We can't have a Cosworth pace car or safety team, can we? Will the turbos have a manufacturer's name on them or not? KK might own Cosworth, but when was the last time a mere "Cosworth" powered a racecar? Ever? Hell, I don't care if it's a Cosworth/Chevy (or Chery :eek: ) but wouldn't a badge be a GOOD thing for the series at this point?

RTKar
01-09-05, 04:30 PM
And...If FORD is committed to NASCAR, Grand Am, USAC and NHRA (their statement) then what about ChampCar? No mention.

For what it's worth....Ford's chief technical officer, Richard Perry-Jones, in the latest issue of F1 RACING, in an article regarding the whys of Ford selling Jaguar F1, mentions the North American market being served by NASCAR and Champcar as their means of exposure to Ford.

Railbird
01-09-05, 04:45 PM
but when an opportunity comes to run a former champ I think it should be taken advantage of.

How many tickets wouldl Shorty sell? Would that be worth the 2mil outlay?

The first thing you have to remember racefan is where this deal was at this time last year.

Jag_Warrior
01-09-05, 04:57 PM
but when was the last time a mere "Cosworth" powered a racecar? Ever?

Last year. Minardi-Cosworth.

Badging is good for a check... and exposure/fan familiarity, I guess. If Kalkhoven does it up right, saying you have a Cosworth in your street ride will be just like saying your Honda is really a Mugen = street cred.

Racing Truth
01-09-05, 05:21 PM
Fair or not, da Matta's "star power" has suffered due to his time with Toyota. In retrospect, much of that has to do with Toyota, but the results are what they are.

If he wants a ride, and his options strike me as limited, he'll have to take less. If not, oh well.

NismoZ
01-09-05, 05:32 PM
Worth 2 mil? I don't know. I guess you'd have to ask the guy that's paying him. I assume that would be a team owner as opposed to the series itself. If he won the championship, I guess you'd have to say he WAS worth it. I'm guessing that a driver is normally hired for what he can do for a team, not the entire series. You may be right, however. Perhaps there are a few "young guns" out there whose "performance-to-pay ratio" would beat the heck out of da Matta's. For example, I'd say if Tracy is the highest paid driver, Forsythe is getting screwed!

Railbird
01-09-05, 05:52 PM
It's Forsythe's fault if he is but with three races in Canada I see PT as a positive for the series. In fact I would be more interested in seeing Ranger get a deal to fill Tracy's shoes in a year or two than to see an owner bend over backwards to reclaim some damaged goods from F1.

Like I said racefan, it hasn't been a year since KK bamboozled the gomers in court, give it time,

NismoZ
01-09-05, 06:13 PM
Yes! God please give me PATIENCE!...but HURRY! (PS..."with 3 races in Canada" would you rather see Andrew Ranger get a ride or some other driver of greater talent who might be rich and from Mexico? Was that "no more ride-buying" statement of KK's meant for his team only or a suggestion for the whole series? With most races in the US should teams be looking for more American drivers, then, even if there may be better drivers out there, with or without F-1 experience? I can't believe most "racefans" regard Cristiano as washed up or a reject.)

Railbird
01-09-05, 06:16 PM
Getting in a hurry only increaes the chances of a mistake.

what part of "less than a year" don't you understand?

NismoZ
01-09-05, 10:41 PM
Wow...talk about no patience! :laugh:

nrc
01-09-05, 10:47 PM
I'd love to see shorty back because he would be an instant front runner to add to the Tracy/Bruno/Seabass/Wilson/AJ mix. I think it would be intersting to see how Bruno would handle the frustration of two teamates out performing him. :)

manic mechanic
01-09-05, 11:26 PM
I think it would be intersting to see how Bruno would handle the frustration of two teamates out performing him. :)

If the guy could KEEP his head together for a full season, you might regret saying that, boss. ;) If '04 was any indication of Bruno's maturation (less whining), I'd say that he is well on the way to a championship. You don't finish 2nd in points 3 years in a row because you have limited talent, right?

Saying that would infer that the series is a bunch of also-rans... :p

open fire, folks!!

manic

nrc
01-09-05, 11:38 PM
Bruno is talented. He just doesn't handle pressure well. Always being under pressure from his teammate has made it difficult for him at times.

JohnnyQ
01-10-05, 09:07 AM
You don't finish 2nd in points 3 years in a row because you have limited talent, right?

manic[/QUOTE]

Great equipment with a diluted field?

pchall
01-10-05, 09:07 AM
Last year. Minardi-Cosworth.

Badging is good for a check... and exposure/fan familiarity, I guess. If Kalkhoven does it up right, saying you have a Cosworth in your street ride will be just like saying your Honda is really a Mugen = street cred.

CART ran almost exclusively with "mere" Cosworth powered cars on the grid for years, from 1979 until Ford paid for the XB. I don't see an image problem for Champcar if badging of the XG goes away after 2005.

NismoZ
01-10-05, 10:40 AM
Thankyou, that's sort of what I was hoping to hear. I don't see an image problem either, I was just hoping for some sort of economic input/sponsorship that might help the series along a bit.

Sean O'Gorman
01-10-05, 11:06 AM
If the guy could KEEP his head together for a full season, you might regret saying that, boss. ;) If '04 was any indication of Bruno's maturation (less whining), I'd say that he is well on the way to a championship.

A full SEASON? The guy can't keep his head together a full race! I think his whining got worse this year, just look at Toronto and Road America.

NismoZ
01-10-05, 11:53 AM
I have to tell you I had a first-hand look at his uh, "attitude" at RA during Fri. practice last year. I was a guest of a crew member in the N/H pits when Bruno pulled in and exited his car, literally hopping mad! Lots of hand gestures and stomping around. He was incredulous toward a lap-time just posted by Bourdais. Bruno had just set HIS fastest time of the day, but was blown away by his teammate! How could this happen!? We know now Sebastian had a pop-off malfunction and turned a lap with 900+horse power! ("What's the matter with my engine? I've got a ROCKETSHIP out here!" Bourdais could "feel" the problem!) In any case, before the reason for the disparity in times was related to him, Bruno was just PISSED and directed some of his anger toward the crew. (at least that's the feeling I got.) To say some in his own crew were less than sympathetic would be an understatement. To answer Bruno's own question of "How could he be THAT much faster than me!?", one crewman answered (aside) "Because Bourdais is a f***ing 5 times better f***ing driver, THAT'S why!" Hey, I've seen drivers blow up or complain OFTEN, and Bruno is not unusual in that regard. He's just a little more "public" about it than many. The "Latin" temperament? :) I've been waiting for a long time to tell this story in the right spot. I hope this was it. (and I still like the way he races, though! I admire recording artists a lot more for their music than their personalities, that's for sure!) :)

NismoZ
01-10-05, 12:07 PM
AND, pardon me if it only looks like I'm trying to "up" my post total, but I just read where Ford sold KK a BANKRUPT Cosworth, not a going concern! That surprised me, (but knowing what we do of KK I suppose it shouldn't) The ChampCar buyers had full knowledge of this and Ford was to pay off the outstanding debt (mostly to the pension plan, I think...go figure! :rolleyes: ) Banks stated a year to 18 months before it was out of trouble. Like you say, be patient.

nrc
01-10-05, 12:16 PM
AND, pardon me if it only looks like I'm trying to "up" my post total, but I just read where Ford sold KK a BANKRUPT Cosworth, not a going concern! That surprised me, (but knowing what we do of KK I suppose it shouldn't) The ChampCar buyers had full knowledge of this and Ford was to pay off the outstanding debt (mostly to the pension plan, I think...go figure! :rolleyes: ) Banks stated a year to 18 months before it was out of trouble. Like you say, be patient.

According to the story I read putting Cosworth into administration (equivelant of bankruptcy) was purely a tactic to head off any lawsuits from F1 teams.

pchall
01-10-05, 01:52 PM

Kalkhoven and Forsythe bought Cosworth Racing's assets out of administration. The arrangements mean that they acquired the company sans current debts and pension plan arrears that are being picked up by Ford.

Read and learn, little one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2005/01/10/cnford10.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/portal/2005/01/10/ixportal.html

JoeBob
01-10-05, 03:05 PM
GF and KK bought Cosworth pretty much the same way they bought ChampCar - they got the pieces they wanted, without having to take the pieces (read: debt) they didn't.

NismoZ
01-10-05, 03:08 PM
Geez, and you didn't like my "Bruno" story?:gomer:

nrc
01-17-05, 01:50 PM
The TSN page is updated saying that RHR appears to be moving from HVM afterall.

Ryan Hunter Reay likely will not be back with the team next year, saying recently at the Autosport International show in England that his 2005 Champ Car ride is a "bit of a step up" and "right on the same platform" as HVM.

Who is "a bit of a step up" from HVM that has a seat in play? Rocketsports? I wouldn't consider PKV a bit of a step up, but they have confirmed McGee coming in as GM so I look for improvement from them.

Walker's switch to Lola is confirmed. They say they plan on two cars, but according to their release they've only bought two Lolas. So that's still in the "hoping" category.

ladyracefan
01-17-05, 04:26 PM
Geez, and you didn't like my "Bruno" story?:gomer:

He was also pretty "animated" in Vegas after the race :cry:

RHR_Fan
01-17-05, 04:59 PM
As long as RHR is back I don't care what team he drives for!

~Nicole

nrc
01-17-05, 05:31 PM
As long as RHR is back I don't care what team he drives for!

~Nicole

Oh, I don't think you'd want him tooling around in a Coyne ride. :)

RaceGrrl
01-18-05, 12:08 AM
Well, Servia has certainly had a better ride than with Coyne, but I didn't mind watching him this year!

RHR_Fan
01-18-05, 12:40 AM
Oh, I don't think you'd want him tooling around in a Coyne ride. :)

I would like to see him in a good ride, but as long as he is in the series that's all the matters. And Coyne did pretty well this year considering. And if he could have a repeat at Milwaukee, that'd be great!

~Nicole

Jervis Tetch 1
01-18-05, 09:56 AM
I would like to see him in a good ride, but as long as he is in the series that's all the matters. And Coyne did pretty well this year considering. And if he could have a repeat at Milwaukee, that'd be great!

~NicoleCoyne can thank Oriol for that.