PDA

View Full Version : Lopes Gone-Official

NismoZ
01-07-05, 04:16 PM
Geez, and to AGR! How do we read THIS one? :confused:

Audi_A4
01-07-05, 04:26 PM
ummmm pretty easy to read. There are 2 open wheel series and he got a better offer.

racer2c
01-07-05, 05:05 PM
Geez, and to AGR! How do we read THIS one? :confused:

What the deal with you and no links? Now I gotta go searchin around. :saywhat:

JoeBob
01-07-05, 05:07 PM
Good luck to him in future endeavours. Here's the story:
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=175180&FS=CHAMPCAR

Andretti Green Racing Hires John Lopes as Vice President

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Jan. 7, 2005) - Andretti Green Racing (AGR) announced today it has hired John Lopes to serve as vice president.

Lopes, a 15-year veteran of the motorsports industry, will officially join Andretti Green's Indianapolis-based operation on Monday, Jan. 10. In his new role with the team, Lopes' primary focus will be business development, including new sponsor acquisition, special projects, administration and management services.

The announcement comes as Andretti Green prepares for the 2005 Indy Racing League® IndyCar® Series season, where it will look to defend the championship it won in 2004. The team will once again field a league-high four Honda-powered entries during the 17-race IndyCar Series season, which begins March 6 at Homestead-Miami Speedway in Homestead, Fla.

"To say that we're thrilled to have John join Andretti Green is an understatement," said Kevin Savoree, who owns the team along with partners Michael Andretti and Kim Green. "Michael, Kim and I have always had great respect for John and all the intangibles he brings with him. Personally and professionally, guys of John's caliber are very hard to find."

Lopes comes to AGR from Champ Car where he has worked as executive vice president of operations since 2001.

"I have known Michael, Kim, Kevin and many of the members of Andretti Green Racing for years and I have admired them as one of America's premier sports properties," said Lopes. "Andretti Green Racing's on-track and off-track success is staggering. I considered jumping back into the team side of our business for a while and I am eager to hit the ground running. Concurrently, I am sad to bid farewell to the dedicated staff at Champ Car who have accomplished so much in spite of great challenges. It has been my privilege to serve as an officer of Champ Car these past four years and I wish both the staff and the owners of Champ Car continued success."

Lopes graduated in 1985 from the United States Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., with concentrations in both engineering and international security. While at West Point, Lopes served as co-captain of the varsity football team and class president of the class of 1985. He served over five years as an air-cavalry aviation officer/helicopter pilot and served as an aviation headquarters commander in the Seventh Infantry Division during "Operation Just Cause" in the Republic of Panama.

Lopes began his career in motorsports in 1990 while attending Duke University School of Law where he graduated with a Juris Doctor in 1993. While in law school, Lopes managed marketing projects in the stock car racing industry, including Winston Cup. From 1993 to 1998, Lopes practiced law in Dallas, Texas, and extended his motorsports participation by representing drivers, teams and sponsors.

From 1998 to 2001, Lopes served as general manager of TeamXtreme Racing in the Indy Racing League. He joined Champ Car in 2001 (then known as CART) and managed the team owners franchise board. His scope of responsibilities as the executive vice president of operations also included logistics, safety, medical, electronics, chassis and engine programs, the competition department, management of promoter agreements and relationships, and other strategic planning initiatives, including the privatization of the company in 2004.

During his career, Lopes has also been involved in a number of charitable causes, including Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Dallas Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, Indianapolis Hemophilia Foundation and Camp Jubilee of Children's Hospital in Dallas.

fourrunner
01-07-05, 07:04 PM
Did they hire Lopes for his talent, or for his CCWS behind the scenes knowledge

Champ Cars biggest problems are "the Enemy Within"

I wish him the Worst !

racer2c
01-07-05, 07:35 PM
Started in the IRL, went to CART, now back in the IRL with an ex-CART team. Typical in my book when you have two similar sports in the same town.
How does this tie in to the layoffs before Christmas, or doesn't it?

coolhand
01-07-05, 08:19 PM
Started in the IRL, went to CART, now back in the IRL with an ex-CART team. Typical in my book when you have two similar sports in the same town.
How does this tie in to the layoffs before Christmas, or doesn't it?

More reason to move the Champ Car HQ.

Clown
01-07-05, 10:38 PM
Seems he never shook his kool-aid habit :gomer: :rolleyes:

RTKar
01-08-05, 11:29 AM
The guy once told me, "There WILL be a race in downtown Chicago." .....................I'm still waiting. :rolleyes:

G.
01-08-05, 12:33 PM
The guy once told me, "There WILL be a race in downtown Chicago." .....................I'm still waiting. :rolleyes:Oh crap. What if he takes that statement with him to the League of Lesser Racing? :saywhat:

Sean O'Gorman
01-08-05, 12:41 PM
So the IRL has a crap race on a crap street circuit? Who cares.

RTKar
01-08-05, 01:05 PM
So the IRL has a crap race on a crap street circuit? Who cares.

This would be one street race that should happen, Chicago's a MAJOR international market and business center....not just a warm local for a good party.

Railbird
01-08-05, 01:09 PM
BFD, I wonder if AGR will have the same fantastic results as Team Extreme.

jonovision_man
01-08-05, 01:41 PM
ummmm pretty easy to read. There are 2 open wheel series and he got a better offer.

Yup.

The trend of CC's best going to the IRL might be reversing, though. KK/GF have the series on reasonably stable ground, especially with the purchase of Cosworth.

Meanwhile the IRL's situation is getting dicey. Reason to be concerned with the engine manufacturers pulling out (Chevy) and Toyota musing about it... little reason for Honda to pad AGR's pockets if they have to supply the whole grid! :p

jono

NismoZ
01-10-05, 03:12 PM
I thought AGR DID have fantastic results. (relatively speaking)

rabbit
01-11-05, 01:59 PM
BFD, I wonder if AGR will have the same fantastic results as Team Extreme.
:rofl:

TedN
01-14-05, 09:13 AM
Interesting comments on Lopes here (http://www.deepthrottle.com/Donath/watch_the_door.shtml)

Ted

oddlycalm
01-15-05, 06:03 PM
Good, Lopes should have never been hired in the first place. This guy is butt kisser material, not the real thing.

oc

RTKar
01-15-05, 07:06 PM
Hind sight being 20/20......I guess there should have been a contract with a stipulation regarding not working for a competitor upon termination for a certain period of time.

TravelGal
01-16-05, 05:14 PM
Hind sight being 20/20......I guess there should have been a contract with a stipulation regarding not working for a competitor upon termination for a certain period of time.

Right on! I'd wager that contracts written since the 3 Amigos took over include such verbiage. Perhaps they couldn't add it to Lopes' because he had been around for so long.

I, for one, am glad to see him go. I completely agree that he never seemed enthusiastic. Struck me as a dud. Now he has insider knowledge but I think the business acumen of the series owners can overcome any tattling by him. That's particularly because he was not particularly effective even under terrific owners. What would he be under a dunderhead?

Not only that but I doubt someone woke up one day and decided to give Lopes his walking papers. If he was on the way out, the info sharing may have diminished in certain critical areas. We'll never know but this incident does not shake my confidence in our current leadership.

oddlycalm
01-18-05, 03:28 AM
there should have been a contract with a stipulation regarding not working for a competitor upon termination for a certain period of time. Unfortunately, while non-compete clauses are common and enforcible in the case of business sales, they are most often not in employment contracts. Courts have generally held that an employer can't prevent a person from working in their chosen field. In any case, AGN would probably not be considered a competitor.

oc

L1P1
01-18-05, 06:18 PM
Unfortunately, while non-compete clauses are common and enforcible in the case of business sales, they are most often not in employment contracts. Courts have generally held that an employer can't prevent a person from working in their chosen field. ...

I believe states vary on this point.

Shadow
01-18-05, 09:30 PM
I would not be at all surprised if Lopes was given the door - by simply not renewing his contract if it was up.

Spicoli
01-18-05, 11:13 PM
I believe states vary on this point.

Indiana is an "Employment at will" state. Non-competes aren't worth the paper they are written in. Courts laugh at you.

Spicoli
01-18-05, 11:14 PM
I would not be at all surprised if Lopes was given the door - by simply not renewing his contract if it was up.

You're getting warmer.

racer2c
01-18-05, 11:17 PM
Indiana is an "Employment at will" state. Non-competes aren't worth the paper they are written in. Courts laugh at you.

Employment at will? Here in the Old Dominion we call it 'right to work'. Rolls off the tongue a little better. :gomer:

Spicoli
01-18-05, 11:21 PM
Employment at will? Here in the Old Dominion we call it 'right to work'. Rolls off the tongue a little better. :gomer:

Well, this ain't Ol' Dominion. this here's Hooterville, so kiss mah grits boy!

And a double gomer back at ye.

:gomer: :gomer:

:rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
01-25-05, 11:03 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/14859/

Looks like it was a trade, apparently. :saywhat:

Spicoli
01-25-05, 11:30 AM
Trade my ass. Cottman always wanted to be at CCWS or with a CCWS team. He tried to get a team together in the "Pookfare" era (copyright Jim Wilke ;) ) but didn;t get it done for whatever reason.

Maybe AGR is seeing the .1RL ship sinking? Maybe AGR just wanted Lopez (who was original Gomer Version 2.7 EARL anyway)? Maybe its all just a coincidence?

But job swapping between 2 warring factions? Highly doubt it. :shakehead

Next up? Jos does a deal with Emmo and Jensen, managed by Stefan! :gomer:

jonovision_man
01-25-05, 11:50 AM
Trade my ass.

Sure, what would I get for it? ;)

Dirty Sanchez
01-25-05, 11:58 AM
Trade my ass.can we trade you for Defender and a box of rocks? :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
01-25-05, 01:02 PM
Trade my ass. Cottman always wanted to be at CCWS or with a CCWS team. He tried to get a team together in the "Pookfare" era (copyright Jim Wilke ;) ) but didn;t get it done for whatever reason.

Maybe AGR is seeing the .1RL ship sinking? Maybe AGR just wanted Lopez (who was original Gomer Version 2.7 EARL anyway)? Maybe its all just a coincidence?

But job swapping between 2 warring factions? Highly doubt it. :shakehead

Next up? Jos does a deal with Emmo and Jensen, managed by Stefan! :gomer:

Well obviously I didn't mean it was literally a trade. Guess I should've said swap instead.

Spicoli
01-25-05, 01:20 PM
can we trade you for Defender and a box of rocks? :gomer:

Hater. go pick on some kids. :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
01-25-05, 01:44 PM
If that's considered a trade, OWRS wins hands down.