PDA

View Full Version : Storm of the century?

dando
01-05-05, 10:56 PM
Could very interesting in the midwest early next week (like it's already not been):

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002141092_storm05.html

If the gloomy computer models at the U.S. Climate Prediction Center are right, we'll see this terrible trio:

• The "Pineapple Express," a series of warm, wet storms heading east from Hawaii, drenching Southern California and the far Southwest, already beset with heavy rain and snow. Flooding, avalanches and mudslides are possible.

• An "Arctic Express," a mass of cold air chugging south from Alaska and Canada, bringing frigid air and potentially heavy snow and ice to the usually mild-wintered Pacific Northwest.

• An unnamed warm, moist storm system from the Gulf of Mexico drenching the already-saturated Ohio, Tennessee and Mississippi valleys. Expect heavy river flooding and springlike tornadoes.

Meteorologists caution that their predictions are only as good as their computer models. And forecasts are less accurate the further into the future they attempt to predict. "The models tend to overdo the formation of these really exciting weather formations for us," said Mike Wallace, a University of Washington atmospheric scientist.

Yet the more Wallace studied the models, the more he became convinced that something wicked was coming this way.

Stay tuned.

-Kevin (aka: Weather Geek)

racer2c
01-05-05, 11:03 PM
Man I wish we would get some of that. We were at 70 yesterday and they are predicting 77 next Tuesday. Pretty crazy for January in DC.

dando
01-05-05, 11:09 PM
Man I wish we would get some of that. We were at 70 yesterday and they are predicting 77 next Tuesday. Pretty crazy for January in DC.
Yeah, my mom is 'complaining' about that wx in Hilton Head. :rolleyes: Other than the storm that brought ice to parts of SC and dumped 14" of snow on parts of NC just after Xmas, the SE/Mid @lantic has been pretty calm. Here, we've had 12" of snow, 1/2" of ice, and now ~4" of rain the past two weeks. :saywhat: You can have some of this. :)

-Kevin

devilmaster
01-06-05, 12:13 AM
Storm of the century?

Well, its only been 4 years and 5 days.......

;)
Steve

RaceGrrl
01-06-05, 12:51 AM
^ ^ ^ :D

chop456
01-06-05, 02:47 AM
Well in that case, you might as well go with "Storm of the Millennium!!!(tm)" :D

And when exactly did we turn into a nation of pu**ies? We got about 6" of snow here today and schools and churches are closed everywhere. Same thing everywhere between Indianapolis down to about Lexington last week. I remember about 2-3 snow days my entire childhood. And that's on top of having to walk barefoot the entire 23 miles. ;)

devilmaster
01-06-05, 02:56 AM
ugh. i should just go to bed.....

cart7
01-06-05, 05:19 AM
Quick, someone warn the Andrea Gale II!! No F'in swordfish is worth all THAT again!

anait
01-06-05, 11:40 AM
I remember about 2-3 snow days my entire childhood. And that's on top of having to walk barefoot the entire 23 miles. ;)

Yup. :D I don't remember getting ANY snow days. -35 C, not including wind chill, and I got bundled up to walk to elementary school. Mind you, I hated walking with a passion... :laugh:

Here schools usually close only for a blizzard. If the wind chill is extreme (below -30 C, I think), all recesses are held inside...some kids don't have adequate outdoor clothing for temps well above even that.

And what's with all the whining over a foot or so of snow??!! Sheesh, we've got about 3-4' of accumulated snow, in two major snowfalls, and the season's just begun. :p

peelo
01-06-05, 12:47 PM
And when exactly did we turn into a nation of pu**ies? We got about 6" of snow here today and schools and churches are closed everywhere. Same thing everywhere between Indianapolis down to about Lexington last week. I remember about 2-3 snow days my entire childhood. And that's on top of having to walk barefoot the entire 23 miles. ;)

:rofl: Chop, I deal with parents of small children nearly every day at work. The kids are great but the 80% of the parents behave like they're the only people in the world ever to have had children. I won't get into specifics here but with the way these folks act about their precious Madison, Taylor, Sarah, Jack, Sam or Max, sometimes we expect the Three Wise Men to come riding up any moment.

I've been at the job for nine years, so the rabidly concerned and whiny parents of babies I encountered back in 1995 are now rabidly concerned and whiny parents of elementary school children, fighting to protect the kids from any and all challenges, perceived and real, apparently including snow. It all makes perfect sense. :shakehead

-- Peelo (as in, "we don't have those")

Ankf00
01-06-05, 01:05 PM
this is the era of trophy children, they're all smart, they're all gifted, and if they're having trouble w/ hw or projects, hell, just go ahead and do it for them, give them tons of $ they haven't earned in the slightest, shelter them from all adversity and send em to the best school possible, of course your school is better than all other schools and #1 in your trophy child's major no matter what

Wheel-Nut
01-06-05, 01:19 PM
Could the reason schools are closed be because school bus travel would be treacherous.

School bus accident. . . . parents question why school was even open . . . .ambulance chasing lawyer latches onto story and sues school district . . . .

:saywhat:

dando
01-06-05, 01:26 PM
And what's with all the whining over a foot or so of snow??!! Sheesh, we've got about 3-4' of accumulated snow, in two major snowfalls, and the season's just begun. :p
Come on down and check out the driving around here with an inch on the ground and you'll understand. It's bad enough that rush hour around here resembles figure eight racing, add a little precip, and it's amateur night @ the demo derby. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
01-06-05, 01:38 PM
UPDATE: According to Accuweather Pro it looks like a major cold outbreak into the plains (yes, Texas) the middle of next week (Pacific NW to get a taste of it this weekend). Temp contrasts could be extremes of 70 on the warm side to -30 on the cold side. Cold air surge to push the warm air ridge off the east coast. Could be fun in the east if we can get some energy from the south.

-Kevin

devilmaster
01-06-05, 01:54 PM
this is the era of trophy children, they're all smart, they're all gifted, and if they're having trouble w/ hw or projects, hell, just go ahead and do it for them, give them tons of $ they haven't earned in the slightest, shelter them from all adversity and send em to the best school possible, of course your school is better than all other schools and #1 in your trophy child's major no matter what

What a perfect lead in! :laugh:

http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/Carlin-FTC.mp3

Warning: Don't play while at school, work, or if yer Politically Correct

Steve

sadams
01-07-05, 08:12 AM
Wheel-Nut nailed it. Lawyers and whinney parents are the reason schools are closed. :shakehead Buddy of mine was on the school committe and used to say if they didn't close school all it would take is one school bus mishap and the lawyers would be all over them. The town chose not to fight the law suites and just close school almost anytime there is snow.

cart7
01-07-05, 08:54 AM
:thumbup: :rofl: Thanks Steve, I needed that. :thumbup: