PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car back to SPEED?

FCYTravis
01-05-05, 10:02 PM
Posted by speed1, aka SPEED Channel President Jim Liberatore on the SPEED Insider boards:

"possibly adding CCWS and/or Trans Am"

http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?p=1012462&highlight=#1012462

racer2c
01-05-05, 10:08 PM
I'd rather see them on Speed over Spike anyday even though Speed was very weak in '04 IMO.

pfc_m_drake
01-05-05, 10:19 PM
I know that some people will be so excited about the possibility of being on Speed that they won't be able to stand themselves. And I will say this: If the financial part of the Speed deal is the most attractive one on the table, then you've got to take it...no question about it.

The biggest drawback to Speed (IMO) is that Speed is what it is. Nobody accidentally 'drops by' Speed channel. Therefore, it becomes next to impossible to expose your product to potential brand new customers (e.g. fans). At least on Spike you've got the possibility of intercepting somebody dropping by for the daily Star Trek marathon.

Nothing against Speed...but I think you're residing yourself to the idea that you're only going to be marketing your product to those who would have tuned in anyway. However, I do recognize that there will probably be some races on network TV this year, and that's good. So, hopefully I'll be wrong and it will all work out for the best.

FCYTravis
01-05-05, 10:35 PM
Nobody accidentally tuned in on SPIKE either, and nobody's "accidentally" going to tune in on, say, CNBC, which nobody watches on the weekends - it's 24 hour paid programming.

RTKar
01-05-05, 10:42 PM
Let's face it, until there's some sort of brand identity that can be sold to the general public to pique their interest, no one is going to watch but us anyway.

racer2c
01-05-05, 10:59 PM
I don't subscribe to the "no one accidently stops by Speed". Men are channels flippers. Heck, women are channel flippers. Long gone are the days when people looked up a program in their TVGuide magazine and turned on the TV and switched to the channel that the program was on. Those days are long gone. Channel flipping is the norm. That's where the casual fan comes from, flipping, not some guy on a Sunday thinking, "hey, I think I'll watch an autorace today.
". Pulleze.
Hell, I was flipping channels tonight and stopped on Speed's show of the Geneva auto show.

pfc_m_drake
01-05-05, 11:11 PM
A couple of points:

I'm not down on Speed, nor am I plugging Spike. I just don't see what Speed gives you that's so very special that you can't get somewhere else (except for possibly the best economic package, and as I mentioned the decision becomes very clear in this case).

I also agree that race fans are going to be inclined to see what's on Speed. But then you're probably already going to be tuned into the Champ Car race already anyway.

Put it this way - everything else being equal (e.g. forget the fact that Speed tends to be a 'high number' channel on most cable packages, and often not available via the base cable package (whereas channels like Spike, CNBC, FoodTV, etc. typically are)), which channel would Joe Average Non-Racefan be inclined to surf by, Speed or Spike?

dando
01-05-05, 11:19 PM
Long gone are the days when people looked up a program in their TVGuide magazine and turned on the TV and switched to the channel that the program was on. Those days are long gone.

I do precisely that. Other than checking out what's on the History Channel @ a given time, I usually know what is on and when. In fact, I typically record shows days in advance....just like millions of other DVR/PVR users out there. :) In fact, Tivo might record a ChampCar race for me if I record and watch other forms of racing. That, my friend, is the present and the future.

-Kevin

racer2c
01-05-05, 11:23 PM
A couple of points:

Put it this way - everything else being equal (e.g. forget the fact that Speed tends to be a 'high number' channel on most cable packages, and often not available via the base cable package (whereas channels like Spike, CNBC, FoodTV, etc. typically are)), which channel would Joe Average Non-Racefan be inclined to surf by, Speed or Spike?

Just speaking from my provider, we've had Speed since it's inception whereas Spike was added last year. Having many racing and non-racing friends, I can assure you that they know Speed, watch Speed and will watch Speed, over anything on 'Spike'.
It's not 'Joe non race fan' that Champ Car needs to lure, it's 'Joe car guy' who stops occasionally on Speed to watch a race from any series.

racer2c
01-05-05, 11:26 PM
I do precisely that. Other than checking out what's on the History Channel @ a given time, I usually know what is on and when. In fact, I typically record shows days in advance....just like millions of other DVR/PVR users out there. :) In fact, Tivo might record a ChampCar race for me if I record and watch other forms of racing. That, my friend, is the present and the future.

-Kevin

If that's the future than NASCAR has won (like it hasn't already). Channel flippers are still the norm and the majority, today.

Methanolandbrats
01-05-05, 11:35 PM
SPEED is much better than Spike. The programming on Spike is a potpourri of trash aimed at retards. Just absolute crap. At least SPEED is identified with "motorsports". It would be much better to be sandwiched between a documentary on Jimmy Spencers Anal Polyps and The Greatest NASCAR Mechanic of 1967 than the alternative of being sandwiched between the WWF and Grandmaster Funk.

racer2c
01-05-05, 11:39 PM
SPEED is much better than Spike. The programming on Spike is a potpourri of trash aimed at retards. Just absolute crap. At least SPEED is identified with "motorsports". It would be much better to be sandwiched between a documentary on Jimmy Spencers Anal Polyps and The Greatest NASCAR Mechanic of 1967 than the alternative of being sandwiched between the WWF and Grandmaster Funk.
:thumbup:

RusH
01-05-05, 11:46 PM
Much better to be sandwiched between Maria Bartiromo and Suze Orman :p

pfc_m_drake
01-05-05, 11:53 PM
Oh, I don't know. They've certainly got some losers, but everybody does.

http://www.spiketv.com/shows/index.jhtml

But when I look at the grid I see things like 'Tough Truckin', 'Reality of Speed', 'Car and Driver Television', 'Horsepower TV'. You'd almost think they're targeting that 'Joe the Car Guy' you're looking to attract as a fan.

Again, I didn't mean to turn this into a Spike vs Speed debate. Obviously I'm the only one who feels this way, so we'll just leave it at that. If ChampCar ends up being on Speed, I'll certainly be tuned in...I just don't see it as the crucial detail that I know so many others do.

Methanolandbrats
01-05-05, 11:59 PM
Much better to be sandwiched between Maria Bartiromo and Suze Orman :p Suze Orman...........gezzus...........I'm pretty sure that's a dood.

Hard Driver
01-06-05, 12:07 AM
It is a fickle world. People like to go with the crowd, to be "in". It doesn't matter if it is speed or spike or abc, if it is good financially, then Champcar should go with the best package. As far as fans, people need to tune in to watch because they want to, getting the channel flipper is not how to attract fans. Fans need to intentionally tune in. This is what advertisers (sponsors) want too. So the question is not what channel it is on, it is how to make it compelling to watch. That requires having some knowledge of drivers and strategy and all that. It requires marketing. It requires being associated with "cool". It requires a lot of things other than spike vs speed.

RusH
01-06-05, 12:12 AM
Suze Orman...........gezzus...........I'm pretty sure that's a dood.

Couldn`t find another anchor over there.
Bartiromo open faced sandwich then.
:D

devilmaster
01-06-05, 12:20 AM
If this brings Bob Varsha back into the fold to do Champcar, I'm all for it. :thumbup:

Steve

Jag_Warrior
01-06-05, 12:50 AM
Obviously I'm the only one who feels this way, so we'll just leave it at that. If ChampCar ends up being on Speed, I'll certainly be tuned in...I just don't see it as the crucial detail that I know so many others do.

Uh, no you're not. I used to keep Speedvision tuned in whenever I had some free/TV time. My schedule is a little odd now, but I don't watch Speed so much - I can only take so much NASCAR. Before CCWS went to Spike, I never watched it. But now I watch it quite a bit on weekends to see the various car shows.

But yeah, it's not about Spike vs. Speed. SciFi will probably get higher ratings with the season opener of Stargate 1 than CCWS or IRL will get on cable. CCWS just needs to build a solid following (again).

Tim
01-06-05, 01:10 AM
I hope not since I don't get speed and won't be able to afford getting it.

Railbird
01-06-05, 06:31 AM
until there's some sort of brand identity that can be sold to the general public to pique their interest, no one is going to watch but us anyway.

yep

trish
01-06-05, 07:24 AM
Many people don't even get Speed.

RaceGrrl
01-06-05, 10:20 AM
Since the viewership on either channel isn't great, I'd prefer that CCWS be on SPEED.

Beevis
01-06-05, 11:49 AM
A couple of points:

I'm not down on Speed, nor am I plugging Spike. I just don't see what Speed gives you that's so very special that you can't get somewhere else
How about a show that's produced well enough to be watchable? I think Wayne, Garth and the boys at Aurora Cablevision could have produced better shows than the cr@p that Spike tried to pass off on us.

KLang
01-06-05, 11:54 AM
How about a show that's produced well enough to be watchable? I think Wayne, Garth and the boys at Aurora Cablevision could have produced better shows than the cr@p that Spike tried to pass off on us.

That wasn't Spike's doing, that was the production company hired by OWRS.

I don't think it matters which channel they are on as long as they can advertise the coverage during the network broadcasts.

I am also selfishly hoping for HDNet coverage as well.

racer2c
01-06-05, 11:57 AM
That wasn't Spike's doing, that was the production company hired by OWRS.

I don't think it matters which channel they are on as long as they can advertise the coverage during the network broadcasts.

It would be nice to actually 'hear' the commentators. The audio sucked bad.

KLang
01-06-05, 12:00 PM
It would be nice to actually 'hear' the commentators. The audio sucked bad.

I agree! But was that Spike or Beetlejuice (sp?) ?

ChampcarShark
01-06-05, 12:00 PM
Many people don't even get Speed.

I am one of hose.

racer2c
01-06-05, 12:15 PM
I agree! But was that Spike or Beetlejuice (sp?) ?

I don't know. My guess would be Spike.

Spicoli
01-06-05, 12:37 PM
Beetlejuice (SUCked Hard) is responsible for the content. IOW, if Linger did the production, then you would have seen a whole different class of final broadcast product.

PG tried to save money and hosed the product by some cut rate dealio with BettleAwful. We have all seen (usually in the workplace) how being stingy on the pennies can lead to having to redo the project, and you've accumualted a final cost that is above the initial "quality" production cost.

Of course, PG apologists will say: "At least we had something to watch" and "Its all they could find at the last minute." Bs....

Speed is a Nascrap junkie now. They need varied autoracing shows. CCWs is one of those. However, we are such a blip on the radar anymore, we don't have much weight. Who knows what will happen.

Gnam
01-06-05, 12:47 PM
I don't know. My guess would be Spike.

If I remember right, Spike wasn't responsible for content. As far as they were concerned CCWS races were just infomercials. Beetlejucie was the production company that had no experience with auto racing, had a contract dispute with their camera crews, and generally couldn't follow the racing action to save their life.

With Speed you get Varsha, exposure to racing fans, less NASCAR on TV, and maybe some screen time on Speed News. :thumbup:

You also have to compete with NASCAR, F1, WRC, MotoGP, SWC and others for time slots. So the 4pm Same Bat channel, Same Bat time idea may go out the window. :thumdown:

Racing Truth
01-06-05, 01:25 PM

That, but moreover, the series needs to be promoted outside of race broadcasts. Same goes for any series not called NASCAR. Hey geniuses, no one is watching race broadcasts other than NASCAR. Advertising during races is simply preaching to the small choir.

racer2c
01-06-05, 02:01 PM
If I remember right, Spike wasn't responsible for content. As far as they were concerned CCWS races were just infomercials. Beetlejucie was the production company that had no experience with auto racing, had a contract dispute with their camera crews, and generally couldn't follow the racing action to save their life.

With Speed you get Varsha, exposure to racing fans, less NASCAR on TV, and maybe some screen time on Speed News. :thumbup:

You also have to compete with NASCAR, F1, WRC, MotoGP, SWC and others for time slots. So the 4pm Same Bat channel, Same Bat time idea may go out the window. :thumdown:

We were simply speaking of the poor audio. Spicoli pointed out that Beetlesuck was responsible for the content.

Spicoli
01-06-05, 02:28 PM
Beetlesuck

:thumbup: :cry:

I think they are bankrupt too.

G.
01-06-05, 02:29 PM
So the 4pm Same Bat channel, Same Bat time. I really liked this last year.

racer2c
01-06-05, 02:41 PM
I really liked this last year.

You know, on one hand, tape delayed races are less exciting for me than a knowing it's live. On the other hand it is really nice to always know when the race is on. I didn't like the Saturday night race broadcasted Sunday at 4 though.

Ankf00
01-06-05, 02:57 PM
speed blows, it's not even part of time warner digital in texas, and if you have dish net you need to have the 180 channel plan instead of the 60 or 120

KLang
01-06-05, 03:19 PM
speed blows, it's not even part of time warner digital in texas, and if you have dish net you need to have the 180 channel plan instead of the 60 or 120

DishNetwork did move Speed into the top120 package a couple years ago.

Steve99
01-06-05, 03:49 PM
The thing that bugged me the most about the tape delay was that there was no way to sync up Race Director with it. I'd rather watch the race on TV and be able to have T&S and driver radios on my computer.

Spicoli
01-06-05, 04:48 PM

Cut more lawns = get more money = get cable/dish. :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
01-06-05, 05:18 PM
I'm with Devilmaster. Bob's great!

Ankf00
01-06-05, 05:48 PM
Cut more lawns = get more money = get cable/dish. :gomer:
I have better things to do than spend 80 bucks a month on TV...

Like pay for airfare to a race :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
01-06-05, 07:14 PM

Or get a job.

Ankf00
01-06-05, 07:24 PM
Or get a job.

After you, cabbie. :gomer:

Spicoli
01-06-05, 08:14 PM

so, a whole month's allowance to get to Cleveland?
:saywhat:

nrc
01-06-05, 09:36 PM

$40 a month gets you 130 channels including Speed on DirecTV. Or you can just get Race Director and stop crying.

Spicoli
01-06-05, 10:28 PM
$40 a month gets you 130 channels including Speed on DirecTV. Or you can just get Race Director and stop crying.

Or he can just hotwire it from his neighbor's trailer. :gomer:

Dave99
01-06-05, 11:39 PM
I like the idea of Champ Car being on a sports-based network. If not SPEED Channel, what other cable outlet would be best for Champ Car's non over-the-air broadcasts? Fox Sports Net? Certainly it isn't Spike. Or The Mouse.