PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiousity...

Andrew Longman
01-04-05, 01:28 PM
...does anyone know if the IRL has minimum car counts in its race contracts?

This time last year we were all worried about what would happen if CCWS didn't show up with 18 cars in LB.

Now the talk is where will 33 cars come from for the I500.

But in reality the possibility that TG will have less than 18 for a given weekend is very real, especially if Toyota pulls out after the I500 (which is a sweet but unsubstantiated rumor). I'm counting only about 15 solid cars and many of them run Toyotas

If for any reason he has less than the minimum that triggers lawsuits, running sponsors, canceled races, etc.

Hey, without real racing to think about on a cold January day, we can always dream. No?

Wheel-Nut
01-04-05, 01:37 PM
I think Wilke is your man for that answer!

Racewriter
01-04-05, 02:45 PM
Early in its evolution, the IRL's agreements with the tracks specified 18 cars as a minimum. I do not know if that has been changed.

NismoZ
01-04-05, 03:24 PM
I'm guessing the Toyota "pullout" is only the ANNOUNCEMENT (after the 500) of it's intent to leave at the end of the season. I can't even imagine teams being left in the lurch early in a season when contracts MUST be year to year(?) I also guess that the rumors of immediate pullout are fueled by an intense fan hatred of all those from the dark side and the resultant glee it would bring them. Be a helluva story, though!