PDA

View Full Version : Mars rovers

KLang
01-04-05, 01:28 PM
CNN story (http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/01/03/rover.anniversary/index.html)

Today marks one year that Spirit has been on Mars. The initial mission was to last 90 days but both rovers are still functional and still conducting research after a year.

Big :thumbup: to both Nasa and JPL!

dando
01-04-05, 10:47 PM
Considering the co$t for this project, this is a huge success. The Viking landers lasted far longer than expected, but the project co$t was huge as well. After the Mars Observer failure and the Columbia disaster, this is great news for NASA/JPL. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

G.
01-05-05, 12:11 PM
Did anyone catch the PBS special on this? I think it was a Nova program.

Any good? I was unable to watch it.

KLang
01-05-05, 12:14 PM

I recorded it last night. Not sure when I'll get a chance to watch it. Nova usually does not disappoint.

Hard Driver
01-06-05, 12:38 AM
:thumbup:

Pretty Cool stuff they have done.

cart7
01-06-05, 05:30 AM
Considering the co$t for this project, this is a huge success.

-Kevin

What was the cost for building a remotely controlled,motorized, rock, gravel and sand collector/analyzer?

And, as far as a huge success, how low had Nasa set the bar so this could be considered a success? Just landing on Mars without disappearing during the landing? Lasting more than a couple weeks before dieing? Finding the meaning of life? Discovery of Jimmy Hoffa's remains? Finding the real contents of Al Capones vault had been moved there? :confused:

I'm not trying to sound negative about this but I'd just like to know exactly what substantial information could be derived from this mission that would create a positive in anyone's life, except those making a living directly off this kind of space science, considering the costs involved?

pfc_m_drake
01-06-05, 07:55 AM

I watched it and thought it was excellent. I'm sure it'll be re-run...you might want to check your local listings, because I know that our PBS station typically re-airs this week's Nova episode during the weekend in the dead of night (like 3 in the morning or something).

Ankf00
01-06-05, 10:32 AM
What was the cost for building a remotely controlled,motorized, rock, gravel and sand collector/analyzer?

And, as far as a huge success, how low had Nasa set the bar so this could be considered a success? Just landing on Mars without disappearing during the landing? Lasting more than a couple weeks before dieing? Finding the meaning of life? Discovery of Jimmy Hoffa's remains? Finding the real contents of Al Capones vault had been moved there? :confused:

I'm not trying to sound negative about this but I'd just like to know exactly what substantial information could be derived from this mission that would create a positive in anyone's life, except those making a living directly off this kind of space science, considering the costs involved?
NASA's budget is miniscule compared to the rest of the federal budget, it's miniscule compared to pork barrel spending alone