PDA

View Full Version : St. Pete circuit comments

mnkywrch
02-22-03, 02:53 PM
Finally got to see the St. Pete circuit on Speed.

I bashed CART because Denver & Miami stunk; I have to give them a big :thumbup: because St. Pete looks awesome!

However, one thing caught my eye - am I the only one who spotted the access road at turn out on the kink?

That doesn't seem right/safe at all to me.

cart7
02-22-03, 03:05 PM
circuit looks great. and yes, that access could get interesting.

Ziggy
02-22-03, 04:12 PM
Im pretty hard on the street racing as well, and I must say that watching the qualifications today, it looks promising. I do have some reservations about the grip levels on the ciruit. So far, so good. Watching the race tomorrow will be the acid test.

Ziggy

Dr. Corkski
02-22-03, 08:56 PM
The pitlane itself already looks better than the whole Miami circuit.

SteveH
02-22-03, 09:26 PM
I agree with Ziggy about the grip and also the amount of crown they have to contend with. Too many cars off in too few green laps today. I'm not sure what's in store for race day.

racer2c
02-22-03, 09:41 PM
I just have a sinking feeling that it's going to be spin city with red, yellow, yellow, red ad nausea.

With no traction control, 9 rookies, new circuit and a greasy street at that, race control should allow many more local yellows than in the past. One thing that that the casual fan and the race media like less than no passing is a race filled with yellow and red flags for 'crash-less' spins.

Railbird
02-22-03, 10:02 PM
What do you want to do?

Run the banks and let the downforce plant the rookies?

St Pete is a beautiful circuit that demands skill, isnt that what we want?

Screw the casual fan, he's just there to check out the boobs anyway.

And screw the press, they go which ever way the wind blows anyway. The buffet has a lot more to do with what they write than the quality of the event.

Drop the flag and party on.

rabbit
02-22-03, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
What do you want to do?

And screw the press, they go which ever way the wind blows anyway. The buffet has a lot more to do with what they write than the quality of the event.

Drop the flag and party on. Bingo, (except for the whole "screwing the press" part ;) )

racer2c
02-22-03, 10:33 PM
What do you want to do?

Oh, you know I'm 100% with you 'bird. I guess what I'm saying is to CART, "Let em race through the spins!"

Hot Rod Otis
02-23-03, 11:51 AM
What do you want to do?

Amen. Looks like a pretty decent circuit. Its got some room for them to stretch their legs out and really haul the mail. Some good overtaking spots, hopefully no follow the leader freight trains. Hopefully CART uses more local yellows and won't throw full course cautions everytime somebody spins.

Hey 'bird, us hardcore fans like to check out the boobs too. I missed Rahal hitting the wall @ MIS in 97 because I was, well uhh, you know.

mexican
02-23-03, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Hot Rod Otis
Hey 'bird, us hardcore fans like to check out the boobs too. I missed Rahal hitting the wall @ MIS in 97 because I was, well uhh, you know.

you beat me to it HRO :D

molive
02-23-03, 09:21 PM
As far as street courses go, this is as good as it gets. A 160Km/h average is pretty decent even for a road course. Not to mention the gorgeous location. St Pete is already a classic. :thumbup:

Gurneyflap
02-24-03, 11:33 AM
Two thumbs up...WAY better than Denver and Miami. Still wish could use a little more airport, though. I'm SO happy the speed is well up over 100mph...now, if we could just add .7 of a mile somewhere!

Hink
02-24-03, 03:35 PM
For a sub-2 mile street course it's one of the best ever. The fast chicane is built the way chicanes ought to be - FAST!

oddlycalm
02-24-03, 05:39 PM
Good course, good race. What appeared to be a lack of grip initially seems in retrospect to be a combination of the cars post-traction control and with higher low end torque combined with a tire compound hard enough to allow PT to slide the car around for a full stint. We didn't see any more yellows than in the past, and the race was far more fun to watch with all the sliding of the cars IMO.

Warlock!
02-25-03, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Hot Rod Otis
You guys are terrible...:shakehead

Winter Warlock!