PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car HQ – Past, Present and Future

racer2c
01-03-05, 10:25 PM
I’m not sure if this is even relevant to the bigger picture, but I was wondering about CART’s decision to move HQ from Michigan to Indy a few years back and whether or not that has proven to be a wise decision, a non issue, or a bad decision in terms of the vicinity to IMS and the politics that may arise from cross-pollination.
If I remember correctly, Jargon Joe wanted HQ in Vegas along side the Champ Car museum and kiddie park. I also remember that Michigan wasn’t a popular HQ with some CART employees.
The stated reason of moving was about logistics with Indy based teams and ancillary departments etc, but I also think there was a wee bit o’ olive branch mentality in moving to Indy.
Is there a better home for Champ Car HQ that would help define their own identity in a city that is a staple of the series i.e. LB or say, move back to Michigan to be close to Ford or is it better to stay in Indy so that the location allows for better ear to the door, keep your enemies close, sort of thing.
Maybe our fellow OC Indyites can shed some light on whether the move was a meaningful one or more of just a non issue. It did stir up some press when they moved to Indy though.
Just thinkin'.

RTKar
01-03-05, 11:00 PM
Stick it in the middle of the country, near a major transportation hub, in a major market, near some of the largest ad agencies around.....Chicago

Build the series and maybe we'll see a race in Cook County, preferrably downtown.

Sean O'Gorman
01-03-05, 11:09 PM
Move it to Cleveland, so I can run the show.

Oh wait, that wouldn't work, they might have to work to attract fans. :D

JoeBob
01-03-05, 11:30 PM
ChampCar needs to be in close contact with the teams, and should be as close to the teams as possible. This helps with communications in regards to rules and marketing. I can't think of any reason that they shouldn't be as close to their main "customers" as possible.

You can always find places to race (as we're seeing with the schedule) finding teams is much harder - stay close to the teams.

Beevis
01-03-05, 11:40 PM
The ONLY good thing about the Michigan location was it was at Exit 69, Big Beaver Road. (And no, I am not making that up.)

devilmaster
01-04-05, 01:10 AM
The ONLY good thing about the Michigan location was it was at Exit 69, Big Beaver Road. (And no, I am not making that up.)

I will confirm that....

Steve

CARTNUT
01-04-05, 02:36 AM
For your viewing pleasure:

Link to Big Beaver Road (http://www.bholcomb.com/Ben/96.jpg)

Regards,

'NUT :gomer:

cart7
01-04-05, 10:29 AM
They should've bought out the Coke lot, built the HQ and then turned the rest of it into an RV park. Think of the additional income during May, June and Aug., then they could've snuck over at night and stuck Cart stickers all over the happy earl campers. :laugh:

Shoot, I can see Lizzerd and the Camp 'n Brew crowd set up right next to each other now! :gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-04-05, 10:46 AM
The move to Vegas had to do first with favorable tax advantages in Nevada. Beyond that Joe thought establishing a new image separate from Indy as a distinct entertainment product would be a good goal and putting CART in the worlds #1 playground would be a good way to do that. I think the objective was correct but Vegas on balance may not have been the best choice.

Putting HQ in Indy was aimed at putting the series closer to the people in the business. If you want a career or to start a business in racing it helps to be in either Indy or Charlotte. Kinda like being in IT and locating in Silicon Valley or Boston. People cross pollinate, network and move around. Its good for them and good for the industry.

There are exceptions like NewmanHaas, Rahal, Petty, Rusport and Penske (geez that's a pretty impressive list), but that was the idea.

I have no idea though how that has worked out for them and whether it actually benefited CART/CCWS

Joelski
01-04-05, 11:07 AM
Buy RA, put the HQ there and then build on the the best racing and the best track as it's home base! :gomer: :runsfromcheerleadercomments:

This could work at any of the really great tracks; Laguna, Mid Ohio (my pick!), hell even Road Atlanta with it's more temperate climate than what Champcar staff are used to...

The advantage of wresting RA from the grip of an unmotivated owner besides being the US' most favored road course is cheaper airfare and lodging than larger cities, the Oshkosh fly-in, and the track's many other events (which recieve more enthusiasm than CC, which would be the ultimate block to accquiring it).

Anything's better than what the have now.... :rolleyes:

Ferdman
01-04-05, 01:08 PM
SoCal. Long Beach is there and so is Cosworth. Get connected with the marketing and starpower of Hollywood.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-04-05, 02:52 PM
IMO Indy is fine.

oddlycalm
01-04-05, 03:30 PM
I'm in favor of buying out Road America, but leave the headquarters where it is. No big upside to moving the offices, so it would just be an unecessary expense.

oc

fourrunner
01-04-05, 06:38 PM
I have a 20 x40 foot garage in the back of my property that I can clean out for them to use

I'll make them lunch also!

It's outside Philly in an upscale neighborhood!

SurfaceUnits
01-05-05, 11:03 AM
AbI, because they get zero press coverage there. Well, they do get bad press coverage there.

Andrew Longman
01-05-05, 11:39 AM
I have a 20 x40 foot garage in the back of my property that I can clean out for them to use

Cheesesteaks with?

How 'bout some south Philly canoles? Mmmm

And I don't know what you're smelling but it might be that sewage treatment plant on your side of the river down by the airport. I do know that everyone's IQ drops 25 points when they cross the bridge over to Northhampton County :D

stymie
01-05-05, 04:00 PM
Wasn't one of the factors to moving to the Indy location based on the location of many of the teams' shops? I think that is still the case, so at this time Indy is still a good fit, based on the move reasoning.

Winston Wolfe
01-05-05, 04:48 PM

who you kiddin'... they aint no "upscale" type 'hoods anywhere near Philly ! :p

These whine and Cheeze eatin' folks need sumpin' better dan dat !

fourrunner
01-05-05, 05:39 PM
Cheesesteaks with?

How 'bout some south Philly canoles? Mmmm

And I don't know what you're smelling but it might be that sewage treatment plant on your side of the river down by the airport. I do know that everyone's IQ drops 25 points when they cross the bridge over to Northhampton County :D

LOL

My little digs at New Jersey are just in Jest ...25% of my business is over there in Medford, Lumberton, Marleton, etc. :)
Oh and Frenchtown is definitely da bomb!! :thumbup:

I know that IQ drop in NorthHampton County Definitely effected Michael Andretti ... oddly it missed Mario, so it must be the Baptismal Water in Nazareth !

BTW --- I will always be indebted to you for that incredible short cut from Rte 22 to Nazareth Raceway you told me about years back ... We used it from that point on saving an hour or more on Raceday avoiding that traffic backup for CART Races .... of course a friend of mine said the short cut wasn't necessary for the IRL Races! :)

fourrunner
01-05-05, 05:47 PM
who you kiddin'... they aint no "upscale" type 'hoods anywhere near Philly ! :p

These whine and Cheeze eatin' folks need sumpin' better dan dat !

Trust me ... Almost everything outside of Philly is Upscale ... Well except accross the Delaware in New Jersey ;)!!! Well Philly does have Society Hill, and Rittenhouse Square, and The Art Museum Area, which are definitely the Hoi Poloi ! :)

But my suggestion was purely a Ruse to get them to scedule a Northeast Race ANYWHERE in this region

BTW --- I asked this question directly to Billy Kamphausen in Laguna Seca in September .... Of course he was nice, and said they had a few spots interested but its still a few years off ... He obviously couldn't say where!
But he didn't say NO Never ... and he's a great guy to talk to anyway!! :)

Ankf00
01-05-05, 07:06 PM

fourrunner
01-05-05, 07:13 PM

Well said .... and very deep!!! ;)

Ankf00
01-05-05, 07:18 PM
Well said .... and very deep!!! ;)
just call me Rousseau :gomer: do that after you answer your pm's :p

fourrunner
01-05-05, 07:32 PM
just call me Rousseau :gomer: do that after you answer your pm's :p

I just replied ... but it says your box is full .... let me know if you got my reply :)

Ankf00
01-05-05, 08:02 PM
I just replied ... but it says your box is full .... let me know if you got my reply :)
stupid sent messages folder :mad: cleared now, please resend :)

Andrew Longman
01-06-05, 12:57 PM
LOL

My little digs at New Jersey are just in Jest ...25% of my business is over there in Medford, Lumberton, Marleton, etc. :)
Oh and Frenchtown is definitely da bomb!! :thumbup:

I know that IQ drop in NorthHampton County Definitely effected Michael Andretti ... oddly it missed Mario, so it must be the Baptismal Water in Nazareth !

BTW --- I will always be indebted to you for that incredible short cut from Rte 22 to Nazareth Raceway you told me about years back ... We used it from that point on saving an hour or more on Raceday avoiding that traffic backup for CART Races .... of course a friend of mine said the short cut wasn't necessary for the IRL Races! :)

Sadly that short cut wasn't needed much for anything the last few years, and not at all any more. But I found it just by desparation in the early 90s when I thought I was going to miss the green flag of a CART race. Glad I could help though.