RacinM3
01-03-05, 04:22 PM
because he's driving a Cadillac.

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/05press1.html

FCYTravis
01-03-05, 04:28 PM
*BLING BLING*

The factory team should get special dispensation to run dubs :laugh:

In all seriousness, it's just another sign that World Challenge is where it's at right now...

pchall
01-03-05, 04:43 PM
*BLING BLING*

Pimp Daddy Papis?

What about wide whitewalls and one of those plastic crowns in the back window?

JoeBob
01-03-05, 04:44 PM
As if the chain wasn't appropriate when he was driving the vette...

Seriously, there's few guys any more who fall into the category of, "guys who will race anything with four wheels." Papis seems to fall into that category. In an era full of drivers looking for work, Max always seems to be racing something somewhere.

SurfaceUnits
01-03-05, 05:50 PM
....and a gold tooth :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
01-03-05, 06:08 PM
http://www.bestwigoutlet.com/prod_img/FNC1130_1089934378.JPG http://www.world-challenge.com/news/images/2005/papis.jpg

Winston Wolfe
01-03-05, 06:38 PM
*BLING BLING*

In all seriousness, it's just another sign that World Challenge is where it's at right now...

BLING, BLING and "That's WHACK"....

In all seriousness folks, can anyone tell me why CCWS doesnt have Speed as a support series to bulk up the weekend ?

IIRC, at the LBGP a few years back we used to have some sort of Touring Car Championship race as a support, and it was great watching all of the cars bashing around each other....

Is there some sort of sponsorship conflict, or what is the deal ?

JoeBob
01-03-05, 06:43 PM
The Touring cars that ran with ChampCar back in the mid 90s were the North American Touring Car Championship. That was actually a series sanctioned by CART.

SPEED World Challenge will be a support race for ChampCar in Denver (and also for the IRL at St. Pete) They've run with ChampCar in a few other places in the past as well. (Road America, IIRC)

Turn7
01-03-05, 07:02 PM
Pimp Papis in a Caddy!

Bubb Rubb and Lil Sis says....

http://www.millerarts.com/interactive/BubbRubb/images/originals/gothic-sis.jpg

spinner26
01-03-05, 07:27 PM
Did I miss where he was let go from Fatassi's Grand AM Team. Didn't he win the title this year with Pruett? Wonder why he was let go? Money? No way!

Sean O'Gorman
01-03-05, 07:33 PM
BLING, BLING and "That's WHACK"....

In all seriousness folks, can anyone tell me why CCWS doesnt have Speed as a support series to bulk up the weekend ?

IIRC, at the LBGP a few years back we used to have some sort of Touring Car Championship race as a support, and it was great watching all of the cars bashing around each other....

Maybe it is because the whole road racing world doesn't revolve around Champ Car?

L1P1
01-03-05, 07:42 PM
"The new Cadillac CTS offers 400% more body roll than European sport sedans. Now, every corner can offer that special off-camber excitement." ;)

http://www.cadillac.com/images/models/cts/gallery/photoExt4_big.jpg

Winston Wolfe
01-03-05, 08:24 PM
Maybe it is because the whole road racing world doesn't revolve around Champ Car?

Sean O - I am painfully aware of that, but was suggesting that it used to make a great ticket when they had the NATCC at the LBGP, and maybe a Speed World Challenge deal would also be a nice addition to the line-up. seeing as things are getting pretty thin the promotional area these days.

Michaelhatesfans
01-03-05, 11:10 PM
"We are racing to help sell cars and change the image of Cadillac."

Well, admitting that you have a problem is always the first step... Let's hope this 12 step lasts longer than the LMP project. :p

extramundane
01-03-05, 11:25 PM

SWC tends to share weekends with ALMS because they share similar fan demographics. Not to mention the fact that many SWC drivers (and at least 1 major team) also drive in ALMS.

B3RACER1a
01-03-05, 11:33 PM
LOL Turn 7! They's jus fo' decoration! :rofl:

FCYTravis
01-04-05, 01:26 AM
SWC tends to share weekends with ALMS because they share similar fan demographics. Not to mention the fact that many SWC drivers (and at least 1 major team) also drive in ALMS.

They also have a contract which makes them an official support series of ALMS. They utilize some IMSA support assets, such as the IMSA Safety Team, during their on-track activities.

RacinM3
01-04-05, 12:48 PM
Yep, SWC is locked into ALMS contractually. There's been a lot of talk about supporting the LBGP the past few years but little action.

oddlycalm
01-04-05, 03:23 PM
"We are racing to help sell cars and change the image of Cadillac."

Well, admitting that you have a problem is always the first step... Let's hope this 12 step lasts longer than the LMP project. :p Step #2 should be to fire the entire design staff as well as the incompetent oafs that approved the last five Caddie designs. If the CTS actually looked and sounded anything like the SWC version they would have something worth selling, but it doesn't. The CTS sets new standards for ugly, which is quite an accomplishment considering some of the wretched beasts Caddy has rolled out the door in the past. Is there actually a target demographic for ugly? :confused:

Cadillac seems destined to forever be the Anna Nicole Smith of auto companies; sometimes busting at the seams, sometimes slimmed down, they always manage to look cheap and garish.

oc

Steve99
01-04-05, 03:40 PM
Is there actually a target demographic for ugly? :confused:

Dodge seems to think so.

RacinM3
01-04-05, 04:50 PM
Cadillac seems destined to forever be the Anna Nicole Smith of auto companies; sometimes busting at the seams, sometimes slimmed down, they always manage to look cheap and garish.

I don't know......I think Cadillac is enjoying a surge in sales and a dramatic lowering of their median demographic age. I mean, I'm seeing a lot of these Escalades and CTS cars out there, and they're not being driven by your typical blue-hair.

My buddy's got a CTS-V (the car the SWC GT Cadillac is "based" on), and while I'm smart enough to realize it is FAR from being the same car as the SWC car, it's a pretty nice ride and a great performer. I'm at least willing to give them that after the crap they've been foisting on the American public the past 30 years.

And here's where I contradict myself. Would I buy one? No.

RichK
01-04-05, 05:16 PM

A couple days ago I saw an XLR, and said the same sort of thing: "That's a cool looking car, but for $75k I'd buy a Mercedes SL500."

Michaelhatesfans
01-04-05, 06:12 PM
I don't know......I think Cadillac is enjoying a surge in sales and a dramatic lowering of their median demographic age. I mean, I'm seeing a lot of these Escalades and CTS cars out there, and they're not being driven by your typical blue-hair.
I'm expecting this little surge to be temporary. Cadillac (or GM for that matter) has never really grasped the quality/holding it's value/re-sale thing.

Winston Wolfe
01-04-05, 10:09 PM

My buddy's got a CTS-V (the car the SWC GT Cadillac is "based" on), and while I'm smart enough to realize it is FAR from being the same car as the SWC car, it's a pretty nice ride and a great performer. I'm at least willing to give them that after the crap they've been foisting on the American public the past 30 years.

i'm with ya, RM3... i went to the Caddy Ride & Drive in Irvine at the old El Toro Air base this summer, and was VERY impressed with the CTS-V.
It has a monster V8 motor, derived from the "Vette, a 6 speed trans, Brembo brakes, BIG fat tires, and all of the whiz bang traction, stability, anit-lock gizmos you can get, along with a really cool sounding engine and all the dead-cow interior peices you can imagine. It was a blast to drive, and even more fun to thrash on someone elses nickel.

BUT.

Would I buy one ? HELL NO !.... do you have any idea how crappy the residual values and resale is\are on any Caddy's these days ? Or for the last 10 years for that matter ?

Sean O'Gorman
01-04-05, 10:19 PM
I think the CTS is ugly, but I drove the new STS a few weeks ago and I thought it was a much better looking car. It had similar exterior dimensions too, which surprised me.

Is the STS FWD or RWD?

pchall
01-04-05, 11:14 PM
LOL Turn 7! They's jus fo' decoration! :rofl:

If Pimpske put dubs on a crapwagon everybody at TrackForum would assume they were movable aerodynamic devices and whine about The Unfair Advantage.

Gnam
01-05-05, 02:28 AM
That SWC GT Cadillac sounds MEAN. :thumbup: Not the same as the GTS Corvettes, but still...very very nice.

The stealth bomber styling of the new Cadillacs isn't quite as jarring as it used to be. It's still not pretty, but you get used to it.

JohnHKart
01-05-05, 05:44 AM
Step #2 should be to fire the entire design staff as well as the incompetent oafs that approved the last five Caddie designs. If the CTS actually looked and sounded anything like the SWC version they would have something worth selling, but it doesn't. The CTS sets new standards for ugly, which is quite an accomplishment considering some of the wretched beasts Caddy has rolled out the door in the past. Is there actually a target demographic for ugly? :confused:

oc

I cannot agree more. We went to a Cadillac test day at El Toro Marine Base in Orange County...last May. The cars have some great technology, feel good and perform well. But they are so damned butt ugly that I would not buy one of them and their ugly image overwhelmed any positive points with me. I'm sure the general consumer feels the same....oh except for those useless escalades which many love, and are number one on the to steal list. (probably by people that look like some of the characters in this thread)

John