PDA

View Full Version : Southern hemisphere winter tour?

oddlycalm
12-29-04, 06:02 PM
Remembering the South African and Tasman series of old, I was musing on whether CCWS could pull off a 6-7 race southern hemishere series. Most CCWS fans are lukewarm or opposed to a substantial number of flyaway races during the regular season, but would anyone really oppose the series running through the winter elsewhere? It's certainly clear that some demand exists.

It would be hard on teams for certain, but it would be huge exposure for the series during months there is little racing elsewhere in the world. With little or no car/engine development to do, there is really no functional barrier preventing it from happening. Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa should be good for a half dozen races I would think. Oz would be able to host at least two races I would think.

More offseason musing of little consequence I expect...

oc

Ankf00
12-29-04, 06:08 PM
I like it :thumbup:

that leaves more races for the US during the summer season

dando
12-29-04, 06:13 PM
While I would welcome some racing during the winter mos. (Christ, could they just get a race or two on the schedule before April!), IMHO, the big issue is competing against the NFL for eyeballs this time of year.

-Kevin

Railbird
12-29-04, 06:47 PM
Four or five race mini series btween the Super Bowl and Long Beach. With the time difference you wouldn't draw a decent live TV audiance anyway so tape em and show them whenever Nascar isn't. Use the shows as a promotional device for the coming season.

All dumb ideas but I'm bored.

L1P1
12-29-04, 06:59 PM
I you called it the "Southern Hemi" series, it might actually get some ratings. ;)

I like it except for the drain on the crews - which is probably insurmountable. Perhaps a new new set of teams that could show up at Long Beach for a battle royale. Then make Mexico City the final race of the "Northern Hemi" Champ Car season and the opener for the southerners.

RTKar
12-29-04, 07:09 PM
Interesting idea...it keeps the series in the news somewhat while also "scooping" the irl and F1 is down for the season as well....get some unsigned F1 guys to drive a race or two also... :thumbup:

Winston Wolfe
12-29-04, 09:09 PM
Sounds like a pretty viable idea, to me....

Re: NFL eyeballs - run the races on Sat, instead of the regular Sunday. Keep practice and Q on Friday, and then run the race Sat.

Crew & Teams - Yes, there would be a toll on Family and Travel during the Holiday season, but what is wrong with going Dark in December, and getting the season started in Jan \ Feb, and hitting the ground running in Long Beach in April ? Just end the season earlier than previous years, avoid the inevitable Football season start-up, and the NEXTEL Cup Chase comparisons, and that way the teams have from mid-Sept to early January as "off"....

I like the idea...... but then again I am bored after painting the master b'room and closet, and just need to get back to work !

RusH
12-29-04, 10:15 PM
Great idea if it`s condenced to about 6 weeks to convince the teams, they need a break too. Not that many places down there anyway, since the world is top-heavy. :D

stroker
12-30-04, 12:31 AM
Why not run that as Obi-Wan's Reynard series for testing new drivers?

pferrf1
12-30-04, 11:22 AM
A1GP beat you to the idea.

Mike Kellner
12-30-04, 11:25 AM
Didn't F1 used to have the Tasman Series, or something, where any F1 teams that wanted ran a few no points races in Austraila and New Zealand before the regular season started? Of course, it was a shorter season then, maybe 10 races.

mk

Jervis Tetch 1
12-30-04, 11:36 AM
Didn't F1 used to have the Tasman Series, or something, where any F1 teams that wanted ran a few no points races in Austraila and New Zealand before the regular season started? Of course, it was a shorter season then, maybe 10 races.

mk
I know there was a New Zealand Grand Prix and Australian Grand Prix (before the F1 version in 1985 began) in the 70s and probably beyond. I'd have to dig out my old archives to find out.

Mike Kellner
12-30-04, 11:43 AM
There was also Bahama, or Bermuda Speed Weeks in the 60s, where they ran an assortment of races before the regular season. It was a sorta run what ya brung series. Part racing, part vacation. I seem to recall that rans sports cars and open wheelers.

mk

Forza Lancia
12-30-04, 12:01 PM
Just thought I'd do a little Google footwork, for those interested in the Tasman Series (http://www.tasman-series.com/default.htm) and the Springbok Series (http://wspr-racing.com/wspr/results/spring/nf_spring_home.html). I wonder if a ChampCar revival of these series could co-exist with A1GP (just as ChampCar co-exists with F1 now)?

Spicoli
12-30-04, 12:03 PM
There was also Bahama, or Bermuda Speed Weeks in the 60s, where they ran an assortment of races before the regular season. It was a sorta run what ya brung series. Part racing, part vacation. I seem to recall that rans sports cars and open wheelers.

mk

since the Yen-suckers stole St. Pete's, I would attend that. sun, cocktails, bikinis, fast cars, vacation?

uh, okey dokey! :thumbup:

Wabbit
12-30-04, 12:50 PM
Teams are really busy tearing down and rebuilding the cars for next year. There is not much time for running a second series.

Kiwifan
12-30-04, 04:22 PM
I'm old enough to remember the Golden Days of Motor Racing and a time when NZ was to the forefront of the sport but as we discussed on 7G a few years back Father Time has not been kind to the tracks coupled with the increased speeds of the cars. I believe our tracks are just too outdated for todays cars. :(

With the Aussie V8s being so popular they may be able to run some Australian Tracks but there wouldn't be too many Kiwi ones that I think could do justice to the drivers.

Have a look back at some of the names of previous Grand Prix winners, and interesting mix! From the Good Old Days (http://www.motorsport.org.nz/mrnz/Pages/Pagestext/nzgptextwinners.htm)

I believe several other drivers used to come down in the off season including Parker Johnstone.

In saying the cars aren't suitable for the tracks take a look at these. (BTW, you have to excuse the dirty T word. ;) ) New class starting... (http://www.motorsport.org.nz/mrnz/Pages/Pagestext/news24Apr04FToyota.htm)

Take care and have a great New Year!

Rusty.

oddlycalm
12-30-04, 06:30 PM
WW is right about how to handle conflicts with other pro sports in ALL countries, run on Saturday. Depending on how the schedule was handled, crews may or may not be effected. Cutting the season shorter in the fall would be a good idea according to just about everyone I've spoken with and leaving more NA dates open so we can avoid marginal weather is a good thing.

I had in mind that a SH series could add needed money to the CCWS bottom line, add value for international sponsors, build a much larger Southern hemisphere audience and add some race mileage that would bring the younger drivers along faster. I also had in mind that running on some actual closed courses where the cars could show their legs would be a positive. Finally, it would leave more race dates for NA.

I would start the series in Oz and then travel West with the last race in Brazil or Argentina. These are among the strongest motorsports markets in the world, and I think you could count on audiences similar to Surfers at each stop. That kind of crowd for 6 races then you find yourself at Long Beach. No way that it wouldn't be a bigger story for the North American media, such as it is.

What I don't want to see is adding offshore Northern Hemisphere dates like street races in Korea or China that eat into the North American schedule and serve only to reduce momentum here. There is no doubt CCWS needs the revenue, I just think the traditional tried and true motorsports markets are where to get it.

It may even result in a track or two being brought up to current standards, eh Rusty? Prior to CART coming to Portland the track and facility was rubbish. PIR still has plenty more work that could be done, but the revenue allowed it to become a workable FIA certified facility, which in turn allowed other series to come here as well. :thumbup:

oc