PDA

View Full Version : Setting the Idle on my car

Tifosi24
12-27-04, 06:48 PM
When I was doing my regular filter changes on my car today, I had to ground my battery and power was shut off to my car. Since I opted to replace my fuel filter, I also bleed the pressure out of my fuel system. Long story short, everything started up fine after I got everything done, but now the car is working to find an idle when I am under 25 mph and when I start it up the engine spikes to 3000 rpm before settling down. My best guess is that I haven't set the idle, and I don't have my Chilton's manuel on me so I don't know what kind of procedure I should use. My car is a 1990 Chevy Lumina Sedan with the 3.1L V6. Crossing my fingers that it is the idle that needs to be set, because I have already put enough into this thing during the last year.

Methanolandbrats
12-27-04, 10:09 PM
Don't know anything about General Moteurs, but double check you did'nt knock a wire off a sensor while working. Oxygen sensor, temp sensor and idle stabilzation valve are possiblities, at least they cause a hunting idle on VWs.

manic mechanic
12-27-04, 11:47 PM
Tif, you don't need to re-set the idle speed.

What you need to do is go through the "relearn" procedure for the computer.

I'll see if I can dig one up for you at the shop tomorrow. :thumbup:

manic

manic mechanic
12-28-04, 12:37 PM
The proper ("quick") relearn requires a scan tool that can impersonate a Tech 1 (or a Tech 1 itself).

The "adaptive" method is accomplished by letting the computer relearn over time.

Quote from MOD ver. 5.7:

"Vehicle computers memorize anfd store vehicle operation patterns for optimum driveability and performance. After battery disconnect, default data is used until new data from each key start is stored.
As the computer restores its memory from each new key start, driveability is restored."

So unless you have a scan tool, you gots to live with it.

manic