PDA

View Full Version : ChampCar race at the Lemans circuit?

L1P1
12-27-04, 06:40 PM
From a link posted to RASC (en Francais):

http://www.lemans.maville.com/actu/Detail.asp?idDOC=186428&idCLA=53 along with a babelfish translation

Apparently Bourdais is pitching a CCWS race at Lemans (IIRC, he's from that area). I couldn't find the story (or didn't understand which one it was). If anyone parlee voozes the francais, perhaps we can get a better translation.

Posted babelfish translation follows....

Car: S. Bourdais dreams d'amener the Field Bus on Bugatti Yesterday evening,
with the town hall of Mans, Sebastien Bourdais clearly announced qu'il would
put all works about it for qu'une race of Field Bus takes place in 2005 in
Mans. A tempting project which frightens however a little l'ACO. Last week
at the time of the Race of the Champions at the Stage of France, Sebastien
Bourdais had already spoken about this project. But with l'Automobile club
of l'Ouest one n'avait be very receptive "Such an organization would cost 10
million dollars, advances Daniel Poissenot, director of the sporting
services of l'ACO. We would need 100 000 spectators to show a profit
l'investissement. And then in 2005 we n'avons practically more date of free.
It would be in addition difficult to d'accueillir the Field Bus after having
refused, here are a few months, a proposal which was made to us to receive
Formula 1. " Yesterday evening, however, the leaders of l'ACO agreed d'un go
with Sebastien Bourdais in relation to the organizers of the American
series, very interested by l organisation d'une race in Europe "Aujourd'hui,
c'est a project to which I hold much, Sebastien specifies. And I am
persuaded that for four or five dollars million one could conclude this
operation. With, why not, the support of private partners. At one time when
it n'y has more French pilots out of F 1, a "package" Field Because-Bourdais
should make receipt. D'autant more than several others control French could
find a wheel for this race. And then, Eurosposrt which will retransmit the
series in 2005, would find there certainly an interest " These next days,
Sebastien Bourdais will receive more precise figures of the promoters of the
Field Bus As well as examples of assemblies to facilitate l organisation
d'une such race. There will communicate them to l'ACO. "He is many cases of
figure to conclude this project. With l'ACO or d'autres promoters. And if
everyone wants to play the game, I am persuaded qu'il has something there to
make. Three dates are available in September. I repeat it, c'est something
which is due to heart and that j'aimerais to support and support "Business
to be followed.

Ziggy
12-27-04, 10:47 PM
While the exposure would be good, I cant name one time I read of a driver being enthralled with the Bugatti circuit........

M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E

What would be better, a street race on home soil, or a rinky dink track in Europe?

Let the bashing begin :D

FCYTravis
12-27-04, 10:52 PM
No bashing here, I agree with you 100 percent. If you're going to go all the way to France... well, there's Magny-Cours and Paul Ricard, and while neither is exactly the epitome of amazing, they're ten times better than Bugatti could ever hope to be.

Just over the border there's a little place called Spa-Francorchamps...

coolhand
12-28-04, 08:48 PM
While the exposure would be good, I cant name one time I read of a driver being enthralled with the Bugatti circuit........

M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E

What would be better, a street race on home soil, or a rinky dink track in Europe?

Let the bashing begin :D

MickyMouse? not exactly.

there are plaenty of decent race tracks in Frace that will draw a crowd.

We dont need another stree race.

Ankf00
12-28-04, 11:00 PM
since when is Bugatti a street course? :confused:

nrc
12-29-04, 02:02 AM
Info on the Bugatti course...

http://www.racingcircuits.net/archives/LeMans/index.html

2.6 miles doesn't seem bad but it does have a few too many chicanes and it looks narrow in the pictures on this site.

Mike Kellner
12-29-04, 02:07 AM
I think a few races in Europe would be a great idea. I am not sure Le Mans is the best place. The old Targa Florio circuit would be cool too, but I am not sure it is the best place for open wheel cars.

I like the idea of SPA, but they would not endanger their F1 race for ChampCars. More likely, CC would be used to scare Bernie into guaranteeing the GP, rather than any honest negotiations over a race.

I am sure there is somewhere suitable to race.

mk

pchall
12-29-04, 11:30 AM
If Bourdais and his father can swing a race in his hometown and get it paid for by decent sponssor, the Champcars should go, especially if they can get another race the next weekend in Spain, Portugal, or England.

BTW, if memory serves, Bugatti might have been the first European track to be called "Mickey Mouse" by GP drivers. Of course all those Tilke Twisters probably make it look like the real deal these days.

Jervis Tetch 1
12-29-04, 11:45 AM
I think Dijon would be a better track, but that's just my opinion.

Easy
12-29-04, 01:31 PM
The old Targa Florio circuit would be cool too, but I am not sure it is the best place for open wheel cars.

The Targa Florio circuit is like 45 miles per lap, all public roads. Good news, the backmarkers wouldn't get lapped.

If they really wanted to race in Europe and stand apart from F1, they ought to try and get in at the street races at Pau or the Norisring. Pau might be a tad tight for Champ Cars but the Norisring could be an actually exciting street race which are Champ Cars strongest events.

L1P1
12-29-04, 06:42 PM
Info on the Bugatti course...

http://www.racingcircuits.net/archives/LeMans/index.html

2.6 miles doesn't seem bad but it does have a few too many chicanes and it looks narrow in the pictures on this site.

Huh. It uses the Sarthe circuit S/F. A Lemans style start would be cool.

Jdcooperclan
12-30-04, 01:05 AM
IMHO there's only one European place for us to be. The Nurburgring. The OLD Nurburgring. Can you imagine the response that would bring ? Dangerous ? Yes, certainly. But...the entire world would be watching.

Spa's good too, but we'd inevitably here comparisons with F1 just like we do at Montreal. If we're looking to make a splash, there's none bigger than Nurburgring. If we're NOT looking to make a splash; stay home.

Michaelhatesfans
12-30-04, 04:00 AM
IMHO there's only one European place for us to be. The Nurburgring. The OLD Nurburgring. Can you imagine the response that would bring ?
What would it bring? It would bring coroners.

Mike Kellner
12-30-04, 11:39 AM
The Ring used to get huge crowds. It was like Road America only bigger. Fans could bring the whole family, and camp out for the weekend. I like the idea. The track is still there. You can drive it for a few bucks.

They would have to try hard not to have full course yellows. Single car qualifying would take all day, so it would have to be traditional road race qualifying. Pace laps would be stupid, so standing starts would be needed. A warm up lap at 80 would take about 10 minutes.

If two races make more sense than one in Europe, they could use the old Hockenheim layout without the chicanes in the back 40, and have some serious fast road racing.

I like these ideas. Try something exciting. We have enough tracks that are second gear parades.

Zandfort. Brands Hatch. Osterrich Ring. Where else? While Berine is racing in Zimbabwe because they allow cigarette ads, Champ Cars could bring racing back to Europe.

mk

Joelski
12-30-04, 02:28 PM
Nordschlieffe would totally rock, but many parts of that old track simply can't handle champcar speeds any more than a Vega$ parking lot. I agree that CCWS should be raking it in on Eroupe's best tracks since Bernie can only focus on tobacco money. I'm sure Champcar could command princely sums by today's standards that Bernie wouldn't even take a second look at. A dream come true would be an outlaw mini series in which an investor pays to have the series shipped over, then CCWS rents haulers, etc, to do a three race swing before departing with tons of cash and new fans. This is something that rich foolish sheik should have though of before dumping all his cash into A1GP or whatever...

The April to June gap would be perfect for such a thing.

Ziggy
12-30-04, 03:28 PM
Pretty good idea Joelski

harking back to the Formula Libre days

Mini Euro Series, with title sponsorship and big time hype

FCYTravis
12-30-04, 03:52 PM
If two races make more sense than one in Europe, they could use the old Hockenheim layout without the chicanes in the back 40, and have some serious fast road racing.
Sadly, it's all torn up now and reforested. The old Hockenheim is gone for good :(

Michaelhatesfans
12-30-04, 04:26 PM
Sadly, it's all torn up now and reforested. The old Hockenheim is gone for good :(
Yep. I want to throw up every time they take that right hander onto the new section, for the past couple of years you could see where they had torn out all of the good stuff. :mad:

Ziggy
12-30-04, 05:43 PM
Face it, the 'ring is a major pipe dream. That rinky dink track at the base of the old one would be better than the Bugatti circuit IMO. They might still run bikes and little cars on the old ring, but no driver in his right mind is gonna put his butt on the line on this circuit that has not been upgraded since Carter was in office!

Since Senna got killed, they have butchered every decent racetrack with chicanes, or quit using them all together....

Methanolandbrats
12-30-04, 06:22 PM
Since Senna got killed, they have butchered every decent racetrack with chicanes, or quit using them all together....

Three decent tracks left: Spa, Road America and Suzuka.

pinniped
12-30-04, 11:18 PM

Which is the last thing a competitor like Senna would have wanted...I nearly puke every time I hear a reference to a "Senna chicane". :thumdown:

Jervis Tetch 1
12-31-04, 11:55 AM
My sentiments exactly. Where have all the great old circuits gone?

Jdcooperclan
01-02-05, 06:39 PM
Yes indeed; racing at the 'Ring is a pipedream. That's why we gotta go !
I further suspect that with todays SAFER barrier technology it could be made somewhat less dangerous (but not completely). Therein lies the excitment.

The financing would be a challenge. Given the number of civilians who mort themselves there each year I think it might be a good investment.

Here's the perfect opportunity to bust-it-off in Bernie's ass. Doesn't get any better than that!

racer2c
01-02-05, 07:28 PM
Which is the last thing a competitor like Senna would have wanted...I nearly puke every time I hear a reference to a "Senna chicane". :thumdown:

You beat me to it. My sentiments exaclty.

mueber
01-03-05, 08:34 AM
Well, to get back to the original subject, we're Frog friendly around here, right? I’m all for us taking the series to new markets and running at circuits that want us to be there. If Circuit Bugatti wants us, we will come.

Mike Kellner
01-03-05, 10:51 AM
"If Circuit Bugatti wants us, we will come."

I think that has to be the attitude. Anyplace with a suitable track, where ChampCar can make money and fill the stands should be considered. I want to see us cultivate Europe and South America. Those are the two biggest markets for big time road racing.

mk

Racing Truth
01-03-05, 03:40 PM
Three decent tracks left: Spa, Road America and Suzuka.

I know I enjoy the V8's too much for someone not in Australia, but I would add Bathurst to that.

Elevation changes of Laguna (and then some) with high-speed straights of RA.

Robstar
01-16-05, 06:55 PM
I know I enjoy the V8's too much for someone not in Australia, but I would add Bathurst to that.

Elevation changes of Laguna (and then some) with high-speed straights of RA.

Agreed ! :thumbup: