PDA

View Full Version : The Next Dan Marino...

JoeBob
12-27-04, 12:51 PM
Great for your fantasy football team, not so great in "must win" games.

Congrats Payton Manning.

Now, lets see if you can beat the Patriots.

DaveL
12-27-04, 01:12 PM
Unlike Marino, Manning has a great running back to balance the offense. But like Marino, he's on a team with a bad defense. If the Colts play the Steelers for the AFC Championship I have to give the edge to the Steelers. We shall see...

Jervis Tetch 1
12-27-04, 01:16 PM
More to the point, Peyton is not the new Dan Marino, but instead the one and only Peyton Manning.

dando
12-27-04, 01:38 PM
Unlike Marino, Manning has a great running back to balance the offense. But like Marino, he's on a team with a bad defense. If the Colts play the Steelers for the AFC Championship I have to give the edge to the Steelers. We shall see...
Steelers will have the edge due to home field. That field is a POS this time of the year, so teams with speed like the Colts will be @ severe a disadvantage.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-27-04, 01:45 PM
edge > bus
tennessee choker > miami hype
orangeman > plexiglass

go horse.

JoeBob
12-27-04, 01:52 PM
Like Marino, Payton plays his best in the games that matter the least.

IMO, it was the 4 INTs he threw against the Patriots in the conference championship game says more about him than the 6 TDs he threw against Detroit. In the last year or so, he's played the Patriots 3 times. He hasn't beaten them yet.

In a 5 week period, (weeks 8-12) Manning racked up 24 TDs against KC, Minnesota, Houston, Chicago and Detroit. Running up the score agains those teams is hardly a difficult task. (And he lost to KC, and barely escaped against Minnesota :eek: )

At the end of the day, it comes down to wins and losses - especially wins and losses in January. In January, I'll take Tom Brady over Payton Manning any day. Brady might not generate big numbers, but when its all on the line, he gets the job done. Get back to me when you can say the same about Manning.

dando
12-27-04, 02:13 PM
At the end of the day, it comes down to wins and losses - especially wins and losses in January. In January, I'll take Tom Brady over Payton Manning any day. Brady might not generate big numbers, but when its all on the line, he gets the job done. Get back to me when you can say the same about Manning.
IMHO, the Pats defense makes this comparison apples and oranges. Brady knows the D has his back, so it's not all on him to win the big games unlike Manning.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-27-04, 02:30 PM
IMHO, the Pats defense makes this comparison apples and oranges. Brady knows the D has his back, so it's not all on him to win the big games unlike Manning.

-Kevin

Citrus Bowl, Spurrier, nuff said :p (and before you make your cork patented Holiday Bowl/OU crack, you're going to the Alamo, so save it :gomer: )

dando
12-27-04, 02:40 PM
Citrus Bowl, Spurrier, nuff said :p (and before you make your cork patented Holiday Bowl/OU crack, you're going to the Alamo, so save it :gomer: )
Uh, OK.... :confused:

The white stuff get to you over the weekend, nancy boy? :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-27-04, 03:08 PM
the point:
Peyton never beat Spurrier
Peyton always went to the Citrus

conclusion:
Peyton chokes regardless

WickerBill
12-27-04, 03:54 PM
This is precisely what everyone said about Elway for 12 years.

They don't say it anymore, and largely because of a guy named Terrell Davis. Marino had a reasonable D and no running game, same with Elway -- Manning has a good running game but a miserable D.

Point being, it takes a team. I dare you to tell me Manning wouldn't win with the Patriots' supporting cast. That's foolish....

dando
12-27-04, 05:59 PM
Interstingly Manning vs. Brady has been debated all afternoon on ESPN Radio. There's also a poll on the subject on the ESPN Radio site:

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/index

Manning leads by a healthy margin of 53% to 14%.

-Kevin

dando
12-27-04, 06:05 PM
Ooops

L1P1
12-27-04, 06:59 PM
Manning did choke in the biggest game of his career to date. But I'm not ready to saddle him with any labels as a result. It's hard to say that this week's game was not pressure packed. He (and/or the Colts) stmbled out of the gate, but in the end, with the game, the third playoff spot and two NFL records on the line, he wound up with a come from behind OT victory and all missions accomplished.

So is he going to choke again, or has he learned the playoff pace? I dunno. I guess that's why they play the games. But I do think the Colts are going to need some luck in the matchups of their opponents, and are going to need to get some turnovers.

WickerBill
12-29-04, 02:21 PM
Come on JoeBob, I've been looking forward to reading your half-baked response to this for several days now......

This is precisely what everyone said about Elway for 12 years.

They don't say it anymore, and largely because of a guy named Terrell Davis. Marino had a reasonable D and no running game, same with Elway -- Manning has a good running game but a miserable D.

Point being, it takes a team. I dare you to tell me Manning wouldn't win with the Patriots' supporting cast. That's foolish....

DaveL
12-29-04, 02:43 PM
Miami had a "reasonable defense"? Maybe in the early 80s with the Killer Bs but after that they were in the bottom half of the league each year.

Ask Dan Fouts how far a team with a great offense but lousy defense goes.

JoeBob
12-29-04, 03:19 PM
Come on JoeBob, I've been looking forward to reading your half-baked response to this for several days now......

When Manning wins a big game - any big game, people will stop saying it about him too. Elway did have some big wins in his career. I don't remember him ever self destructing in big games to the extent that Manning has. In the meantime, Mannings 4 INTs in the conference championship mean more than his touchdowns against bottom dwellers.

If anything, we can turn this into a, "is there a more overrated position than quarterback?" discussion. Why teams continue to waste top draft picks on QBs is beyond me.

DaveL
12-29-04, 03:43 PM
If anything, we can turn this into a, "is there a more overrated position than quarterback?" discussion.

Watch a really bad QB (ie anyone playing for the Bears at the moment) and then ask the question again.

WickerBill
12-29-04, 03:43 PM
Super Bowl XXIV:
Denver Att. Comp. Yds. TD Int.
Elway 26 10 108 0 2

Super Bowl XXII:
Denver Att. Comp. Yds. TD Int.
Elway 38 14 257 1 3

Elway carried the Broncos to the Super Bowl(s) by himself then completely laid an egg. Manning will learn. And again... go ahead and tell me he couldn't win if surrounded by the Patriot personnel. It's nonsense.

Ankf00
12-29-04, 05:18 PM
the diff is the pats weren't built for brady, the colts were built for peyton

dando
12-29-04, 06:07 PM
the diff is the pats weren't built for brady
Correct. The Pats lucked into Brady. A trained monkey...or even Chrissie Sims...could win on the Pats. :gomer:

-Kevin

JoeBob
12-29-04, 06:11 PM
Yet Drew Bledsoe couldn't...

DaveL
12-29-04, 06:19 PM
A trained monkey...or even Chrissie Sims...could win on the Pats.

Put Jonathon Quinn at QB for the Pats and they might win 5 games. Who the QB is makes a big difference.

dando
12-29-04, 06:23 PM
Yet Drew Bledsoe couldn't...
What? Take them to the Super Bowl in '96 and '01? Didn't he win two AFC championship games? Who knows if he wouldn't have won XXXVI against the Lambs. The Pats that played the Packers in XXXI weren't the same team as the past couple of years, and that GB team was damn good.

-Kevin

dando
12-29-04, 06:25 PM
Put Jonathon Quinn at QB for the Pats and they might win 5 games. Who the QB is makes a big difference.
I said a trained monkey. Quinn doesn't pass that test...literally. :gomer:

-Kevin

Railbird
12-29-04, 06:41 PM
Another diff between Manning and Marino is the fact that Peyton calls most of his own plays.

The Colts are getting closer but I still fear for their run stopping capabilities.

As far as last year's AFC championship game goes most folks seem to think that was the game that led to the tightening of the five yard rule.

The Colts can beat the Pats, I'm much more worried about the Steelers.

dando
01-10-05, 12:29 AM
I thought I'd resurrect this thread since Brady and Manning face off next weekend. Sweeeet! :thumbup:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
01-10-05, 01:34 AM
I liked how Denver called the Indy players soft right before their new tough secondary got torched by the Colts' #2 receiver and their all-world CB got punk'd by Marvin Harrison of all people. :rofl:

With Poole and Law gone the five yard rule might be the least of NE's problems. It will be more like the NE patchwork secondary vs Manning. The guy Indy has to worry about is Dillon. If the two above hold up there is no reason NE would lose unless Brady decide to play to his talent level like he did in Miami 3 weeks ago.

Racing Truth
01-10-05, 12:34 PM
Ya, Denver really put on a tackling clinic didn't they? :laugh:

dando
01-10-05, 02:51 PM
Weather could be a big factor Sunday. The cold outbreak should be moving east with a possible storm gearing up along the east coast. Bears watching later in the week. The forecast models are playing catch up @ this point.

-Kevin

G.
01-10-05, 02:58 PM
Bears watching later in the week. Yep. The Bears are watching the playoffs from home this year. :cry:

Spicoli
01-10-05, 03:59 PM
I was at the Colts game yesserday.

What a game. Been waiting 20+ years for this team to get to this point.

Reminiscing on Jeff (no relation) George. They did a nice ceremony at halftime for Jimmy Harbaugh, retiring his number or whatever. This may be the real deal. :thumbup:

Al Czervik
01-10-05, 05:25 PM
I heard that Peyton Manning was seen driving around his neighborhood for hours and hours last night. Seems that someone had painted "Patriots" in about 10 yrd high letters in his front yard, so he couldn't find his house :D

Spicoli
01-10-05, 05:30 PM
I heard that Peyton Manning was seen driving around his neighborhood for hours and hours last night. Seems that someone had painted "Patriots" in about 10 yrd high letters in his front yard, so he couldn't find his house :D

maybe i'll drive by and see. :D

Al Czervik
01-11-05, 12:06 AM
maybe i'll drive by and see. :D

I've heard stories about you and "surprises" in people's yards :thumbup:

Jervis Tetch 1
01-11-05, 11:44 AM
Here's hoping the Colts can "Edge" the Pats this year. I think they can and I feel good about it.

You heard it hear first, but don't be surprised if the Jets knock off Pitt and the Vikings moon Atlanta.

Al Czervik
01-16-05, 08:51 PM

Post game bump

Jervis Tetch 1
01-16-05, 09:23 PM
Colts. Ouch.
:shakehead :(

Ankf00
01-17-05, 02:14 AM
first spurrier, now the patriots :laugh: :laugh:

dando
01-18-05, 05:55 PM
According to Mike & Mike this AM, Boomer made a comment to the effect of the thread title on the CBS wrap up show after the game....with Marino on the set. Marino was reportedly unhappy based on his reaction. :rofl: Wish I would have stay tuned to see that, but the CBS pre- and post-games shows are simply worthless (IMHO).

-Kevin

Ankf00
01-18-05, 06:18 PM
According to Mike & Mike this AM, Boomer made a comment to the effect of the thread title on the CBS wrap up show after the game....with Marino on the set. Marino was reportedly unhappy based on his reaction. :rofl: Wish I would have stay tuned to see that, but the CBS pre- and post-games shows are simply worthless (IMHO).

-Kevin
Saw that, ya Marino had quite the stoney face when Boomer said that :laugh:

nrc
01-18-05, 08:12 PM
Manning is on pace to match Marino's Super Bowl record. :)

Gnam
01-18-05, 08:22 PM
Manning is on pace to match Marino's Super Bowl record. :)

Hey, there's always the Isotoner endorsement to fall back on.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/peyton_manning_050116.jpg

*blatantly stolen from espn.com link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050118)

Sean O'Gorman
01-18-05, 10:51 PM
Maybe Manning can have a supporting role in an upcoming Jim Carrey movie too.

KaBoom21
01-24-05, 11:43 AM

-Kevin

It was classic. The death stare from Marino before they cut away was priceless.

JoeBob
01-24-05, 11:48 AM
If you haven't seen Boomer/Marino yet, here's the video: http://www.epicmod.com/video/boomer.mpg

Sean O'Gorman
01-24-05, 09:04 PM
If you haven't seen Boomer/Marino yet, here's the video: http://www.epicmod.com/video/boomer.mpg

Bandwidth limits pwned that guy.

This clip should work:

http://www.blogtelevision.net/p/Watch-Video-___1,2,,8535.html

EDIT: Dammit, it doesn't even show Marino's reaction...thats the whole reason I wanted to see the clip!

G.
01-25-05, 11:35 AM
Boomer was on the radio this AM stating that he and Dan cleared up any confusion after the show. Dan thought Boomer meant that Dan chokes in the big ones, but Boomer meant that he was greatness with no defense.

That's what he said, I haven't seen the piece.