PDA

View Full Version : 'Minister of Defense' Reggie White dies at age 43

Tim
12-26-04, 01:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8037370

Wow he was only 43 years old. One of the most dominant defensive ends ever.

spinner26
12-26-04, 01:50 PM
From USA Today

'Minister of Defense' Reggie White dies at age 43
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (AP) — Reggie White, one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history, died Sunday of a massive heart attack at his home near Huntersville, N.C. He turned 43 last week.

Reggie White had 198 sacks during a 15-year NFL career.
By Mike Roemer, AP

"Today our beloved husband, father and friend passed away," White's wife, Sara, said in a statement through a family pastor. "His family appreciates your thoughts and prayers as we mourn the loss of Reggie White. We want to thank you in advance for honoring our privacy."

A two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, White played a total of 15 years with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Carolina.

Nicknamed the "Minister of Defense," White retired in 2000 as the NFL's all-time leader in sacks with 198. The mark has since been passed by Bruce Smith.

White went to two Super Bowls with Green Bay, winning a ring following the 1996 season.

"We are deeply saddened by the passing of one of the greatest men ever to play the game of football," Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said in a statement. "On behalf of the entire Eagles family, our condolences go out to his wife, Sara, to his children, and to all those who have been touched by Reggie throughout his life. His legacy on and off the football field will never be forgotten." :(

Contributing: SportsTicker

Ankf00
12-26-04, 02:26 PM
wow :(

Winston Wolfe
12-26-04, 03:00 PM
Reggie White the football player was awesome to watch.
I remember the "Gang Green Defense" when he was with Philly, and then he and Farve pretty much re-vitalized Green Bay and the Packers franchhise back in the 90's....
Dying at 43 is not "natural"..... I noticed they have not listed "cause of death".... Consider that he led a "good life" off the field and devoted much of his time and money to charity and inner city youth, I dont suspect an OD... but did not know if he had a long term illness (Brain tumor like Johnny Oates who recently passed away), or drug related probs (Like Camminiti). Time will tell, I guess.
Reggie White - The "Minister of Defense" - what a cool name. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
12-26-04, 03:05 PM
Have to hire some Asians to turn some old wood doors into a coffin. They're good at that.

Classic Apex
12-26-04, 05:57 PM
:(

rabbit
12-26-04, 06:14 PM
That sucks. :(

spinner26
12-26-04, 07:11 PM
Reggie White the football player was awesome to watch.
I remember the "Gang Green Defense" when he was with Philly, and then he and Farve pretty much re-vitalized Green Bay and the Packers franchhise back in the 90's....
Dying at 43 is not "natural"..... I noticed they have not listed "cause of death"....
Consider that he led a "good life" off the field and devoted much of his time and money to charity and inner city youth, I dont suspect an OD... but did not know if he had a long term illness (Brain tumor like Johnny Oates who recently passed away), or drug related probs (Like Camminiti). Time will tell, I guess.
Reggie White - The "Minister of Defense" - what a cool name. :thumbup:

I read this: Reggie White, one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history, died Sunday of a massive heart attack at his home near Huntersville, N.C. He turned 43 last week.

RTKar
12-26-04, 07:16 PM
Totally sucks...with all the jerks we hear about in sports, it's tough to lose a good guy so young.

JohnHKart
12-26-04, 08:18 PM
Have to hire some Asians to turn some old wood doors into a coffin. They're good at that.

I loved that speech.....it was hilarious, filled with stereotypes, but it was all true, which is why everybody got pissed off. You can't go around saying things like that or listing stereotypes in public.

John

Dr. Corkski
12-27-04, 02:18 AM
I loved that speech.....it was all true, which is why everybody got pissed off. You can't go around saying things like that in public.

JohnAll true my ass. I don't think he was trying to be a racist bigot like some portrayed him to be, it was more like he had no idea what he was talking about, sort of like LA Lakers fans and basketball.

fourrunner
12-27-04, 10:11 AM
Reggie was a great Football Player.... We loved him in Philly .... Were outraged at our Elitist Owner Norman Braman (He's gone thank God) for trading him, merely because he wanted to be paid what he was worth.

However, Reggie loved the limelight, never saw a microphone he couldn't say something into and think it was inspired thought (the sports press' fault ).... He often was humorous, but he was also a bit of a loose cannon ... when he tried to be smart & glib, he could put his foot in his mouth .... He was a Celebrity just like Brad Pitt is a Celebrity ... and I'm not gonna confuse either of them as Great Thinkers... they are just good at their primary jobs !

As a Minister, I'm sure he had his followers, and Good for them !

Sean O'Gorman
12-27-04, 04:07 PM
All true my ass. I don't think he was trying to be a racist bigot like some portrayed him to be, it was more like he had no idea what he was talking about, sort of like LA Lakers fans and basketball.

Quit whining and get back to making my TV watch! :gomer: