PDA

View Full Version : IRL car count slow to materialize

devilmaster
12-23-04, 02:20 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_Story.asp?ID=108348

With the start of the 2005 Indy Racing League season less than three months away, only eight teams have firmly committed to the upcoming season.

While those eight teams represent 18 cars it should be noted that three of them - Andretti-Green Racing, Rahal Letterman and Target Chip Ganassi - account for 10 entries....

Steve

Spicoli
12-23-04, 07:42 AM
I'd like to point out that of those 18 cars, 17 are funded by Yen. GM has a contractual obligation to Panther.

Skater_36
12-23-04, 10:07 AM
I'd like to point out that of those 18 cars, 17 are funded by Yen. GM has a contractual obligation to Panther.

An obligation that could be concluded with a monetary settlement.

FRANKY
12-23-04, 01:18 PM
As passed along to me when I asked, although I was told to "stuff it" a couple times first. :(

CONFIRMED:

AGR (4) - Kanaan, Franchitti, Wheldon, Herta
Rahal Letterman (3) - Meira, Rice, Patrick
Panther (2) - Scheckter, ?????
Penske (2) - Castroneves, Hornish, Jr.
Ganassi (2) - Manning, Dixon
Fernandez (2) - Fernandez, Sharp
Super Aguri Fernandez (1) - Matsuura
Foyt (1) - Foyt IV
Cheever Racing (2) - Barron, Carpentier
Dreyer and Reinbold (1) - ??????
Total = 20

Methanolandbrats
12-23-04, 01:23 PM
CONFIRMED:

AGR (4) - Kanaan, Franchitti, Wheldon, Herta
Rahal Letterman (3) - Meira, Rice, Patrick
Panther (2) - Scheckter, ?????
Penske (2) - Castroneves, Hornish, Jr.
Ganassi (2) - Manning, Dixon
Fernandez (2) - Fernandez, Sharp
Super Aguri Fernandez (1) - Matsuura
Foyt (1) - Foyt IV
Cheever Racing (2) - Barron, Carpentier
Dreyer and Reinbold (1) - ??????
Total = 20[/QUOTE]

Schecter, Sharp, Matsuura, EyeVee and the D&R hack will use up lots of tubs and money. It will be more interesting to see the grid half-way through the season, that's when the **** will hit the fan :thumbup:

JoeBob
12-23-04, 01:36 PM
If you have a ??????? can something really be "confirmed"

Adrian Fernandez is far from "Confirmed" with his team as anything but a Yen Counter.

Foyt's effort is also far from confirmed. Right now, they have 16.

cart7
12-23-04, 02:20 PM
I thought Fernandez was Indy only as he opted to just run the team since the 2 sponsors fled back to Mexico.

D & R? As optimistic as Reinbold was in an interview, Buhl was far less so when the GM announcement was made. He sounded like the outlook was pretty bleak.

As stated, I haven't read or heard where AJ has any money. I've only heard about another possible Nextal effort.

Even though they rolled it out like it was a done deal, aren't they still trying to secure sponsorship for Danica next season?

Panther? They were running the second car with Menard money last year, is that even an option this year? I've only heard about rumours of them running a second car.

NismoZ
12-23-04, 04:26 PM
I wish I was as optimistic about CC as some here seem to be pessimistic about the JRL. Things are tough ALL OVER, I believe...what's the latest CONFIRMED for CC? Three car teams? Sure are a LOT of drivers being tested. Are we confident they will be chosen on their merits or are the owners also looking for cash? Is there some kind of cash-talent ratio one has to meet before being chosen? ;)

Steve99
12-23-04, 04:51 PM
I thought Fernandez was Indy only as he opted to just run the team since the 2 sponsors fled back to Mexico.

He is also planning on doing the most important race of the year: Motegi

Even though they rolled it out like it was a done deal, aren't they still trying to secure sponsorship for Danica next season?

The car was all decked out with her Atlantic sponsors. Are they not signed yet?

cart7
12-23-04, 05:15 PM
The car was all decked out with her Atlantic sponsors. Are they not signed yet?
I thought I heard where they needed more than just Argent.