PDA

View Full Version : Texas weather

KLang
12-22-04, 10:20 AM
Wow, here is part of my daily email weather forcast for Houston:

Thursday Night
Partly cloudy in the evening then mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain...snow...or sleet after midnight. Lows in the upper 20s. North winds 15 to 20 mph.

Friday
Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain...snow...or sleet. Breezy. Highs in the mid 30s. North winds 15 to 25 mph. Wind chill readings 17 to 21.

:eek:

I lived in Iowa for a long time and driving on snow and ice doesn't bother me but if we get it down here I will not leave the house. No way these folks down here can drive in the stuff.

Wheel-Nut
12-22-04, 10:25 AM
Driving in sleet / ice on Houston highways is a bit interesting!!

Looks like I need to stock up on beer!

KLang
12-22-04, 10:27 AM
Looks like I need to stock up on beer!

Thanks for the reminder! :thumbup:

dando
12-22-04, 11:04 AM
Trade ya...we're looking for a foot around Cbus. Folks here can't drive when we have a 2" snowfall.

In other news, I'm liking the new Khumos in the snow. They beat the heck out of the P Zeros I had previously.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-22-04, 11:39 AM
HAH :rofl:

that's what you guys get for living on the wrong side of town :p

down by the bay things are just balmy, nary an ice alert :)

hrmmmm, think I feel like raw oysters tonight :D

Wheel-Nut
12-22-04, 12:09 PM
HAH :rofl:

that's what you guys get for living on the wrong side of town
down by the bay things are just balmy, nary an ice alert :)

hrmmmm, think I feel like raw oysters tonight

Check your forcast again college boy . . . . :laugh:

Santa Fe, TX

Thursday Night
Partly cloudy in the evening then mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain...snow...or sleet after midnight. Lows in the lower 30s. North winds 15 to 20 mph inland...north 20 to 30 mph coast.

Friday
Cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain...snow...or sleet. :thumbup: Windy. Highs in the upper 30s. North winds 20 to 30 mph.

Friday Night
Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of rain and snow in the evening. Lows in the upper 20s.

Ankf00
12-22-04, 12:25 PM
i'll put $ down it STILL doesn't ice over in clear lake, I remember too many days the entire metro area was shut down and CCISD still shipped us to school that day :mad:

Wheel-Nut
12-22-04, 12:51 PM
You're probably right. The Texas City plants are pumping too many carcinogens into the Clear Lake sky to allow for any substantial kind of cool down!!

You need to move up north, where the air is clear and cancer free!!

cart7
12-22-04, 12:55 PM
HAHA! Houston area body shop owners are putting deposits down on expensive summer vacations and in-ground pools as we speak. :laugh:

Ankf00
12-22-04, 01:36 PM
mmmmmm, the deer park air, how sweet the smell :D

Turn7
12-22-04, 03:11 PM
It gets bad enough with a little bit of rain, let alone throwing ice and snow into the mix. :laugh:

http://www.houstonian.freeservers.com/history/1971-1999/downtownflood.jpg

Plus, I don't think they took icing into account when building the interchanges.

http://www.texasfreeway.com/houston/photos/bw8/images/bw8_290_3.jpg

http://www.texasfreeway.com/houston/photos/bw8/images/bw8_290_1.jpg
http://www.texasfreeway.com/houston/photos/bw8/images/bw8_59s_1.jpg

KLang
12-24-04, 01:34 PM
Well, we are getting a light dusting of snow west of Houston. Glad I wasn't planning to drive anywhere today. :cool:

Ankf00
12-24-04, 03:34 PM
no, they definitely didn't take icing into account, some of these new interchanges on 8 are just ridiculously tall, absolutely no need...

oddlycalm
12-24-04, 06:25 PM
Been there and it wasn't pretty. We flew into San Antonio in the middle of a Blue Norther with temps in the high teens, pipes burst everywhere with water frozen on the streets, then a few hours later the ice storm moved in. I had a ball in the rental Taurus... just like an ice race. The few locals actually moving on the roads did not look amused. Onliest time I ate at Taco Cabana without having to wait in line. :thumbup:

oc

KLang
12-24-04, 08:34 PM
It's coming done pretty good now. Temp is below freezing so it's actually collecting on the ground. We're drinking white russians to celebrate the occasion. :)

Forcast is for almost 70 by Monday or Tuesday. :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
12-24-04, 08:43 PM
Been there and it wasn't pretty. We flew into San Antonio in the middle of a Blue Norther with temps in the high teens, pipes burst everywhere with water frozen on the streets, then a few hours later the ice storm moved in. I had a ball in the rental Taurus... just like an ice race. The few locals actually moving on the roads did not look amused. Onliest time I ate at Taco Cabana without having to wait in line. :thumbup:

oc

"Onliest"?? Where did you get that word, the Anktionary?

It has been hell here in Cleveland, all the cars at work are frozen stuck where they are. The place I work at was so understaffed and so unprepared that all I can do is line up all the cars in the back of the lot and let the next shift deal with it. It looks like a red flag after a 25 car pileup at Talladega. I think I'm putting in my two week notice on Monday, I'm way too good to be wasting my time at this job.

The snow was so bad the other night, I had to park the MR2. It took me an hour to drive 10 miles (odo says 14 from all the wheelspin) home, all uphill. I got online the next afternoon and ordered some Blizzaks from Tire Rack, and they showed up 23 hours later. :thumbup: Now I just have to get them mounted.

Ankf00
12-24-04, 09:06 PM
hey, lay off the AnkSpeak TM biotch.

you're just jealous cuz you didn't invent your own 'speak.

anywho, there's snow outside...

white stuff

frozen....

collecting on the ground...

SNOW!!!

IT'S EVERYWHERE!!!!

*runs and locks self in bunker*

oddlycalm
12-24-04, 11:39 PM
"Onliest"?? Where did you get that word, the Anktionary? Nope, picked it up from the wife who is an Aggie (class of '68). She's from SA, which is why we were there to demonstrating a little ice driving.

oc

nrc
12-25-04, 12:08 AM
anywho, there's snow outside...

white stuff

frozen....

collecting on the ground...

SNOW!!!

IT'S EVERYWHERE!!!!

*runs and locks self in bunker*

Still intrigued? :D