PDA

View Full Version : Free Champ Car ride for Atlantics champ

jonovision_man
12-21-04, 02:45 PM
http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=3&nid=103805

Some kind of vague information about Champ Car tests for the top Atlantics drivers.

But this was interesting:

In addition, the driver that wins the Toyota Atlantic Championship next season will also have the opportunity to compete in the November 6 Champ Car season finale at Mexico City – literally earning a one-race Champ Car ride – to close out their championship campaign.

That's great incentive, sure it's just one race but look how Valiante managed to impress with his one-off shot.

jono

JoeBob
12-21-04, 02:50 PM
http://www.toyotaatlantic.com/News.asp?ID=772

jonovision_man
12-21-04, 03:02 PM
http://www.toyotaatlantic.com/News.asp?ID=772

Thanks... pretty much no other info there on the tests, just that they are "invitation only"... which is the case today. :)

Anyway, the focus on Atlantics seems very strong at the moment, stronger than I can remember it in some time. It's a good thing.

jono

racer2c
12-21-04, 03:57 PM
it's about time they make a do something along these lines. The Fogerty fiasco is an embarrassment.

DaveL
12-21-04, 04:23 PM
It's about frickin' time. What's the point of having a feeder if the series champs don't get the chance to move up?

Sean O'Gorman
12-21-04, 04:30 PM
Oh cool, now they get one race in Champ Cars before being ignored by the team owners. :gomer:

Turn7
12-21-04, 04:37 PM
OK, proof positive that I am a pessimist.

What if the Champ Car Championship is up for grabs and this one race whatzit screws it up? New to the car in a new to him series on a new to him track getting in the way and farking up.

jonovision_man
12-21-04, 04:41 PM
OK, proof positive that I am a pessimist.

What if the Champ Car Championship is up for grabs and this one race whatzit screws it up? New to the car in a new to him series on a new to him track getting in the way and farking up.

An Atlantics Champ couldn't do any worse than the latest Coyne ride-buyer. :p

jono

DaveL
12-21-04, 04:45 PM

That's racin'

rabbit
12-21-04, 04:48 PM
That's racin'
Yup. Every single driver out there was the first-race-in-a-new-car-on-a-new-track guy once.

racer2c
12-21-04, 04:56 PM
Yup. Every single driver out there was the first-race-in-a-new-car-on-a-new-track guy once.

But coming from an Atlantics car? The old argument of adjusting the Atlantics formula to better prepare for a Champ Car comes to mind. Although Fogerty said that's hogwash.

L1P1
12-21-04, 07:28 PM
But coming from an Atlantics car? The old argument of adjusting the Atlantics formula to better prepare for a Champ Car comes to mind. Although Fogerty said that's hogwash.

I think there have been plenty of one-time drivers. Heck, the official standings show 24 drivers in '04. That's a few more than there were cars at any one race. Should the last race be the only race that's immune to one-off meddlers?

I think this is a great idea. But I'd like to know what/whose car they'll be driving.

Dr. Corkski
12-21-04, 08:04 PM
But I'd like to know what/whose car they'll be driving.Well, it probably wouldn't be Forsythe, since he saves his seat for a true Atlantics standout like Rodolfo Lavin. :gomer:

Unless Alex Figge wins the 2005 title (which would even require him to stop using other cars as brakes), the contenders probably don't have to worry about the champion. It's pretty hard to win an Atlantics title nowdays by being a constant mobile chicane. The talent (if the champion has it) will adjust to Champ Car from Atlantics. Gaston Mazzachicane drove a F1 car and look how much that helped.

jonovision_man
12-22-04, 12:38 PM
Oh cool, now they get one race in Champ Cars before being ignored by the team owners. :gomer:

Think one race can't make a difference?

http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=3&nid=103827

"Things were stuck in neutral for a while - there was a lot of interest from various teams, and I flew to some races expecting to drive, but somehow I never seemed to get in the car," the Canadian said, aware that finishing second overall in the super-competitive Toyota Atlantic championship in 2002, and third in 2003, was not enough to bridge the gap to the top flight, "Now, however, the Mexico City race seems to have broken the log jam, and two different Champ Car teams are working to find the funding to run me in 2005."

jono

Sean O'Gorman
12-22-04, 01:34 PM
Note that any chance of him getting a Champ Car ride is still entirely dependent on him finding sponsorship. Atlantics drivers are still not being considered for the funded rides.

jonovision_man
12-22-04, 02:24 PM
Note that any chance of him getting a Champ Car ride is still entirely dependent on him finding sponsorship. Atlantics drivers are still not being considered for the funded rides.

What do you consider "funded rides" on the grid?

jono

Sean O'Gorman
12-22-04, 04:18 PM
What do you consider "funded rides" on the grid?

jono

Newman-Haas, Rocketsports, PKV, etc.

jonovision_man
12-22-04, 04:47 PM
Newman-Haas, Rocketsports, PKV, etc.

Not a lot of seats available in those teams at the moment.

Point is, he's receiving more attention post-Mexico-one-off than pre-Mexico-one-off, in his own words. I think it's a positive thing to give these guys that shot, could easily lead to more, and it's an advantage over other perspective talent.

jono