PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

fourrunner
12-19-04, 02:38 PM
I'm thinking of downloading Windows XP Service Pack 2 into my computer

Will this conflict with Norton Internet Security 2005 or Spysweeper which I also have in my computer?

Am I duplicating efforts with these two Security software already there

Comcast has suggested downloading Servicepack 2 but I'm wary that I'm overkilling the situation?

Advise & help would be appreciated! :)

Cam
12-19-04, 07:24 PM
I'm thinking of downloading Windows XP Service Pack 2 into my computer

What brand computer? First Q...

fourrunner
12-19-04, 07:55 PM
Cam ....

Hewlett Packard !

FCYTravis
12-19-04, 08:10 PM
Test, test testing this... hearing many reports that OC is not up for some people - DNS servers fail to resolve offcamber.net, at least any that I've tried :confused:

Cam
12-19-04, 08:42 PM
Cam ....

Hewlett Packard !

Check on HP's website..... They may have a custom SP that will not cause any conflicts..... BUT.... whatever you do check with HP first!

fourrunner
12-19-04, 09:02 PM
Thanks Cam

I've heard horror stories from a few people.... others seem fine

I'll check HP first though !!

Wabbit
12-19-04, 10:05 PM
Make sure to save the uninstall information.

Backup all your data before you start.

Pray, Pray, Pray.

You shouldn't have any conflicts with the mentioned software. I am running them fine on my laptop with SP2.

oddlycalm
12-21-04, 12:34 PM
I'm running XP SP2 with Norton 2005 and Spysweeper with no issues. When you set up SP2 just turn what they refer to as virus checking to off.

SP2 doesn't offer real virus protection, and you are not duplicating anything.

oc

KLang
12-21-04, 12:58 PM
I upgraded our three pc's at home a while back. The only issue I had was the 2004 flavor of Norton was not recognized by Windows as a running anti-virus package. Just had to tell windows not to worry about it. A subsequent update from Norton took care of it. As mentioned above just turn off the windows supplied firewall and virus applications.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the the new pop-up blocker in IE actually works quite well.

Dougrun
12-21-04, 02:09 PM
way to upgrade to SP2:
1. download the full SP2 install, or wait until autoupdate says it's ready to install.
2. start menu> run> "msconfig". go to the startup tab and uncheck all. Restart the computer.
3. Install SP2. restart
4. during the SP2 boot, you can turn off the firewall if you think you have something that conflicts with it. Otherwise I suggest leavig it on. I went from using ZoneAlarm to using the windows firewall because ZA had memory leaks.
5. start menu> run> "msconfig". go to the startup tab and check all or just check some to see what happens. Restart the computer.

thats the safest way to upgrade and I've done it several times, even on laptops.

Methanolandbrats
12-21-04, 02:24 PM
I upgraded all the XP Home computers on my network by logging onto Mr. Softy and letting it run. Worked great. The mentioned pop-up blocker really works and it also has a firewall that recognizes a network, so no configuring.
I use Norman AV and it recognized that, so no problems.

Hard Driver
12-21-04, 08:07 PM
Better safe than sorry. Also, even with a AV program and firewall, there are still security holes in Windows. For instance some malicious website can run code on your machine when you attach through the web. So I would reccomend SP2. It can stop some poorly written sites and programs from working. But I still would suggest installing it and then tryingto fix any problems you do have.

L1P1
12-21-04, 08:10 PM
I upgraded to SP2 and had problems with a couple of programs - Pop-Up Stopper and ZoneAlarm. They both became somewhat redundant with SP2's new features but I might look for a new version of ZoneAlarm since I feel a little more comfortable with it.

So I didn't have any problems with the things you mentioned but there are potential problems lurking. But I think it was worth it.

IlliniRacer
12-21-04, 09:40 PM
This works really well for me
linky (http://www.mandrakesoft.com/) ;)