PDA

View Full Version : DC baseball dying quickly

The Doctor
12-16-04, 01:56 PM
WASHINGTON (Dec. 15) -- Washington's new baseball team shut down business and promotional operations indefinitely Wednesday as its move to the nation's capital teetered on the brink of collapse.

The decision by Major League Baseball followed the District of Columbia Council's decision Tuesday night to require private financing for at least half the cost of building a new stadium. The September agreement to move the Montreal Expos to Washington called for a ballpark fully financed by government money.

"Yes, I think baseball is now in jeopardy," Mayor Anthony A. Williams said.

A previously scheduled news conference to unveil new uniforms was called off and fans who bought tickets to watch the renamed Nationals next season at RFK Stadium can get refunds, said Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer.

Baseball will not resume talks with other cities until after Dec. 31, the deadline in the agreement for Washington to put a ballpark financing law in place.

Time to off this franchise once and for all.

Jervis Tetch 1
12-16-04, 02:22 PM
Time to off this franchise once and for all.
I predicted this amongst friends. No, they'll play back in Montreal IMO.

They could always go to Vegas. In the latest SI, Vegas is really wanting some kind of pro team.

Steve99
12-16-04, 03:36 PM
I'm no expert on baseball economics, but it is probably worthwhile to make sure they play somewhere in '05, even if it is in Montreal. If not, the team becomes worthless and has to be written off.

JohnHKart
12-16-04, 06:38 PM
That is right....Vegas has no baseball (and no football right?) I can't even remember if they have a basketball team. Seems like a no brainer and a total winning situation that Vegas should have major league sports, especially baseball.

John

Wabbit
12-16-04, 06:49 PM
I'm glad to see the government say no to having to fund professional sports stadiums. The government won't buy me a new building for my company, why should they have to pay for stadiums.

nissan gtp
12-16-04, 06:51 PM
I could GAF about baseball, but he DC city council doesn't want to pay for the whole new stadium and assume all the risk of over-runs, etc. DC is not on great fiscal footing, so it makes some sense. MLB is just trying to **** over the city, so I hope it does fall thru. I also llike the politicos look like retards :gomer:

bring back ALMS instead ! :D

RTKar
12-16-04, 07:49 PM
I could GAF about baseball, but he DC city council doesn't want to pay for the whole new stadium and assume all the risk of over-runs, etc. DC is not on great fiscal footing, so it makes some sense. MLB is just trying to **** over the city, so I hope it does fall thru. I also llike the politicos look like retards :gomer:

bring back ALMS instead ! :D

I enjoy baseball....well, at least what the game once was but the ALMS track in DC looked like a raceable street course. It's a venue Champcar and ALMS should look in to.

IlliniRacer
12-16-04, 08:16 PM
I would say its San Juan for '05.

Look for the Norfolk, VA people to get back into the bidding along with the aforementioned Vegas and Monterrey, MX for '06

bdogg187
12-17-04, 03:41 AM
Lets see, the MLB wants to dump one of the worst teams in the league on DC, and make them fully fund the arena. This kind of crap really bugs the **** out of me. First of all, apparently there is already an arena in DC that could accomodate this team (which will apparently accomodate the team until the new stadium gets built), so why waste money on something they already have. Second, Washington already has three sorry sports franchises, only the Redskins would even be worth following, so why waste taxpayer money on building a stadium for a fourth.

They shouldnt have given up on the ALMS race!

Las Vegas has no sports franchises, put the team there.

Michaelhatesfans
12-17-04, 04:11 AM
Oh, God, I hope they don't start pimping that ***** in Portland again.
"Hey! We've got a great idea! Just cough up a zillion dollars of taxpayer money to build a new stadium and we'll give you the worst team in the league!" :saywhat:

Michaelhatesfans
12-17-04, 04:13 AM
"Hey! We've got a great idea! Just cough up a zillion dollars of taxpayer money to build a new stadium and we'll give you the worst team in the league!" :saywhat:
Oops - sorry, bdogg - didn't mean to look like I was leeching off of your thread! I didn't even read yours until after I entered mine. Great minds, eh? :laugh:

bdogg187
12-17-04, 12:32 PM
Oops - sorry, bdogg - didn't mean to look like I was leeching off of your thread! I didn't even read yours until after I entered mine. Great minds, eh? :laugh:

Personally, I dont cringe at the thought of Taxpayer funded arenas. But only in certain cases. If the team is good (or at least fan support is good), they deserve a nice arena. If there arent any usable arenas in the area. Or finally, if there are no or only one pro-sports franchises in the area.

However, if the team sucks, theres already a usable arena, and there are already 2-3 pro sports franchises in the area, its stupid to think you can screw the taxpayers over for another team.

oddlycalm
12-17-04, 04:09 PM
"Hey! We've got a great idea! Just cough up a zillion dollars of taxpayer money to build a new stadium and we'll give you the worst team in the league!" :saywhat: Amen. If you can't fill a basketball arena on a regular basis it's a big stretch to think you could fill a baseball stadium with a lackluster home team as a draw in a town with no baseball tradition.

Not sure Las Vegas will do any better, even with an indoor stadium. Banking on out of town visitors to fill a baseball stadium isn't a smart bet. While the population has exploded there, it's still puny in comparison to most successful baseball markets.

oc

dando
12-17-04, 04:25 PM
That is right....Vegas has no baseball (and no football right?) I can't even remember if they have a basketball team. Seems like a no brainer and a total winning situation that Vegas should have major league sports, especially baseball.

John
Vega$ has no pro sports teams (unless you count the former XFL Team ;) ), but the Dodgers AAA affiliate plays there (after the Dodgers ended a long association with ABQ a few years back). One would think that the pro leagues cringe @ the thought of a franchise in Vega$ (potential conflict of interest), but IMHO it's a natural fit.

-Kevin

IlliniRacer
12-17-04, 04:35 PM
One would think that the pro leagues cringe @ the thought of a franchise in Vega$ (potential conflict of interest), but IMHO it's a natural fit.

-Kevin

I know that the Vegas sports books don't make or take lines for UNLV games. I would assume the same would be true for a professional team.

Sean O'Gorman
12-17-04, 06:35 PM
So is it safe to assume that Washington's team will beat the Tigers in the "eliminated from playoff contention" race? :D

Car-B-Q
12-17-04, 09:12 PM
What's lost on most people is that there are plans already to revitalize this area of the city and Anacostia River. They already want to add more shops and retail space in the area and develop the waterfront property. I think the DC government is not looking at the big picture and only seeing this as a baseball stadium-only issue.

If they consider using the stadium as the centerpiece of their revitalization plan, I believe the area would start to develop on its own in addition to the other government-based plans. There was also talk about ading a soccer-only stadium accross the river for the DC United.

The Federal Government has already started talking about doing something about the southern entrance into the city (which is where the new stadium is to be built). Right now its a major eyesore. In a few years they will have to replace (or spend gazillions to repir/facelift) the Fredrick Douglas Bridge, which also is in this area.

There's a lot of potential upside for fixing up this area and a lot will be done with or witout the stadium. But I think it would be much better with it.