PDA

View Full Version : A lesson on event promotion

Sean O'Gorman
12-14-04, 11:20 PM
I posted this in a thread back in May, but no one really paid attention

http://www.jgtcusa.net/gtlive_attraction.html

GT LIVE is designed like a theme park. But instead of fish or stuffed animals, it's all about cars. That means GT LIVE is full of attractions. Some run all the time, like Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland, and some are on a schedule, like Shamu at Sea World. The point is that for two days in December we will create a place you will call heaven. You’ll be able to see the hottest cars and girls, watch some of the best racing and drifting in the world, get a ride with a JGTC driver, race your own car in an autocross, display your car, dance, and shop. You name it, we’ll have it for you.

Here is a list of what you can expect:

JGTC ALL-STAR 200 (Saturday)
JGTC All-Star race, sanctioned by Sports Car Club of America, featuring 20 cars from Japan as well as a number of US entries. This race is full of innovations such as two mandatory pit stops and allowing an additional driver. The JGTC ALL-STAR 200 is also the first ever JGTC night race. You will want to check out the pre-grid 30 minutes before the start of the race to get an up close look at the cars, hang with the drivers and stars and get pictures with the race queens.

JGTC ALL-STARS SPRINTS (Sunday)
In case you miss the main event on Saturday, we’ll have plenty of exciting JGTC racing for you on Sunday as well. We’ll run two 24-minute sprint races, sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America, on the interior road course that are guaranteed to be packed with action as we line up all the cars on a much shorter track. Race one will feature the number one driver, race two the number two driver.

JGTC Garage Walk (Sunday)
Since the JGTC teams will be extremely busy with qualifying and race preparations on Saturday, there will be little opportunity to see the cars up close or photograph them. So on Sunday the cars will be on display in the garage area. You will also have the opportunity to talk to the drivers directly and get their autograph, or have your picture taken with the race queens from Japan.

D1 Grand Prix U.S. vs. Japan Pro Drifting Exhibition (Sunday)
The top drifting series in the world joins the most exciting racing in the world to bring you one hell of a show. D1GP will run its U.S. vs. Japan competition Sunday evening under the lights on the interior road course. For more details on the D1GP program, please visit D1GP.com.

Xtreme Drifting League-XDL (Sunday)
If you’ve thought you’ve seen all the drifting there is, think again. XDL is an hour-long show that brings innovative new elements to the scene. XDL will run full laps, and there will be no judging. And you’ll be able to check out hot girl drifters, top pros drifting trucks, probably some sedans drifting and more.

Tuner Time Attack (Sunday)
The top 20 fastest cars from the EuroTuner/Super Street Time Attack in early November are eligible to compete at GT LIVE. The format will be two 30-minute sessions with 10 cars each. The best time at the end of the two sessions wins.

Formula D Drifting Exhibition (Saturday)
Our friends at Formula Drift are showing off their best talent in a one-hour exhibition program that is sure to excite. Details on the Formula D show are at FormulaD.com

GT Demo Runs (Saturday & Sunday)
A JGTC or NASA driver will give you hot laps around the track. All you need to do is wear a helmet and hang on. You’ll be riding in a production car tuned for the race track, or if you are really lucky, you might be one of only several people that get to go for a ride in a real JGTC race car. Rides will be given out through a lottery system in December. Although this is not a VIP thing, there is a limit to the number of rides we can give. Our schedule allows for four 1-hour sessions only so if you are interested in the ride of your life, check back after December 1st.

GT Autocross (Saturday & Sunday)
Driving someone else’s ride is one thing, but wouldn’t you like to see how you and your car stack up against the rest? We thought so. That is why you can bring your ride and do laps on our autocross course. Laps will be timed and a set of four costs $30.

Eight laps go for a reduced rate of $50. The Autocross will have a driver’s lounge for you to relax in and bum advice off professionals.This event is open to all drivers that wish to autocross their own car. You will be required to have a Snell 95 or newer rated helmet and sign a release of liability. Your car must pass a technical inspection common to all autocross events. The car must be in good mechanical condition with no leaking fluids, good tires, and working seatbelts. You do not need a membership or any form of license to participate. A few days before the event, you will receive a run group schedule which will indicate an approximate time block for your runs. This will be a timed event but no classing or prizes will be awarded. Purchase 4 AutoX Lapsor Purchase 8 AutoX Laps

Go Kart Demo (Saturday & Sunday)
The best race car drivers in the world get their start in karts and now you get a chance to do the same. At GT LIVE you’ll be able to race karts all weekend long.

RC World
Touring cars have been the hottest trend in RC car racing for some time now and GT Live is proud to present our very own RC car attraction. We fill feature the RCGT, a professional RC race featuring some of the biggest names driving JGTC-bodied cars. Practice and qualifying for RCGT is Saturday and all the racing action takes place Sunday. RCGT is producced by HPI Racing. Click here for more info.

When the track is not used for racing it is open to fans at no extra charge to try out RC cars themselves. The RC demo is run by Pacific Coast Hobbies.

Super Street Car Show (Saturday & Sunday)
If you think you’ve seen everything there is to see in terms of car shows, think again. The GT LIVE car show will be staged inside the garage area, right next to the race cars and teams! You cannot get a better seat in the house. The garage area will be packed with hot cars and hot chics. Slots are limited to 300 cars. $75 fee includes 2-day car show registration and 1 weekend pass.

Car Club Fan Lap (Saturday)
Ever wonder what it is like to drive around California Speedway in your car? If you signed up with a car club you can find out by participating in our Fan Lap. You and a few hundred of your best friends will do a lap around the Auto Competition Course, the same configuration used by the JGTC race. Speeds will be limited so this is more an hour-long party on wheels.

Car Club Packages (Saturday & Sunday)
A lot of you belong to a club or group so we thought we’d give you the opportunity to represent at GT LIVE. Starting in June we’ll be offering car club packages that include a weekend pass, preferred parking, a dedicated lounge in the parking area and participation in the VIP fan lap, which is exclusive to car clubs. Registration is now closed.

Shopping (Saturday & Sunday)
We’re guessing that after about a half day of watching race cars and driving, you’ll start getting plenty of ideas of things to modify on your own ride. After all, it is the weekend before Christmas and you’ll want to do something for yourself, or maybe a loved one. Christmas shopping may not be the right word, but if it has to do with cars you’ll probably be able to buy it in the vendor display area.

Car Audio & Electronics Audio Challenge (Saturday & Sunday)
This attraction has been cancelled.

Turbo High-Tech Performance Dyno Challenge (Saturday & Sunday)
OK, so you got whupped by your friends in the Autocross but now you can get your revenge by showing them you have the most under the hood. We will be able to put cars side-by-side on mobile dynos for a head to head showdown.

Lounges (Saturday & Sunday)
At some point during the course of any event, you just feel like sitting down and taking a break. We hear ya. All across GT LIVE will be lounges that offer shelter, a place to sit, as well as drinks and music.

Main Stage (Saturday & Sunday)
Our main stage will be the node of the event. DJs and MCs will call this home for the weekend. All victory and award ceremonies will take place here, as will the JGTC ALL-STAR 200 driver autograph session on Sunday.

GT Ride and Drive (Saturday and Sunday)
Manufacturers will be providing cars for you to drive through a coned off course. This is a great chance to see how some of the newer cars on the market feel on a more challenging and fun test-drive than you’d typically get from a dealer.

Rumor has it that 50-60k tickets have been sold for this race. At Fontana. Probably more than CART, IRL, and Grand-Am combined for the last times they've each run there. For a series that has never raced in the U.S. and barely has any exposure here aside from in car magazines and video games.

Thoughts?

Methanolandbrats
12-14-04, 11:37 PM
Thoughts? JGTC? WTF is that? It is a nice website and they have lots of stuff planned, sort of like a State Fair for Ricers. The guy operating the nitrous oxide refilling booth will make a fortune.

racer2c
12-14-04, 11:42 PM
Grass roots and a youth market connection i.e. drifting etc. Two things Champ Car lost a long time ago.
A presence at these events, even as just a trailer with a car or two would be better placed than at the hot rod events I've seen CART at in the past.
Champ Car would benefit greatly in making itself known to this crowd. But they have to do it right, not like "hey kids we're cool and hip" ala SpeedFreaks.

manic mechanic
12-14-04, 11:43 PM
You forgot one IMPORTANT factoid about this deal, SOG:

The 2 day pass costs only $50.

Compare that to what other series/venues charge, and it's a no-brainer as to how there may be an "estimated" 50-60k tickets sold at present.

It makes me want to take a close look at how certain sanctioning bodies/series are trying to ream the fans in order to make ends meet...I'm well aware of how the France family (and their associated venues) turn the screws on the fans, and this event seems a bit "out of character" for that group.

Quick note to ChampCar: You want to turn casual fans into long term fans? Start by stabilizing the venues, then look at "value per dollar".
You don't need to sell us hardcore fans, although we wouldn't mind a bit less "out of pocket" when we attend. :thumbup:

manic

Sean O'Gorman
12-14-04, 11:49 PM
JGTC=Japan GT Championship

They are ridiculously modified, mostly Japanese sports cars, that are about as similar to the road cars as a NASCAR stock car is to the street version. V-8s in Supras, turbo NSXs, etc. and suspensions that are completely different than the road going versions. Still very interesting cars, and what little I've seen of it on SPEED, they have some great on track action. There will be some American teams running (from ALMS GTS to Speed World Challenge GT cars and Trans-Am are all eligible) too.

http://www.jgtc.net/race/2004/04team/04team_ph/04tm001m.jpg

http://www.jgtc.net/race/gallery/gall2004/043gallery_ph/043_001.jpg

http://www.jgtc.net/race/gallery/gall2004/043gallery_ph/043_009.jpg

http://www.jgtc.net/race/gallery/gall2004/047gallery_ph/047_007.jpg

http://www.jgtc.net/race/gallery/gall2004/047gallery_ph/047_018.jpg

http://www.jgtc.net/race/2004/04team/04team_ph/04tm031m.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
12-14-04, 11:51 PM
Grass roots and a youth market connection i.e. drifting etc. Two things Champ Car lost a long time ago.
A presence at these events, even as just a trailer with a car or two would be better placed than at the hot rod events I've seen CART at in the past.
Champ Car would benefit greatly in making itself known to this crowd. But they have to do it right, not like "hey kids we're cool and hip" ala SpeedFreaks.

Good point. I doubt a simple booth/display would really do anything, however. Part of the JGTC appeal is the image, the JDM bla bla bla stuff. What exactly is the image that Champ Car portrays anyway? They haven't had anything resembling an image or a direction since the days of Andrew Craig.

Methanolandbrats
12-14-04, 11:54 PM
Champ Car would benefit greatly in making itself known to this crowd. But they have to do it right, not like "hey kids we're cool and hip" ala SpeedFreaks. Hmmmm, I'm an old guy, but I still help run an autocross series. I've noticed the young guys only follow one pro racing series, the Speed Challenge. They don't even know F1 and Champcar exist and they hate Nascar. Champcar should hook up with the import sedan road racers as a support series........like the old IMSA Firehawk.

extramundane
12-15-04, 12:45 AM
JGTC=Japan GT Championship

They are ridiculously modified, mostly Japanese sports cars, that are about as similar to the road cars as a NASCAR stock car is to the street version. V-8s in Supras, turbo NSXs, etc. and suspensions that are completely different than the road going versions. Still very interesting cars, and what little I've seen of it on SPEED, they have some great on track action. There will be some American teams running (from ALMS GTS to Speed World Challenge GT cars and Trans-Am are all eligible) too.

It should be noted that, as they stand, the two JGTC car classes would wipe the floor with ACO/FIA-spec GT1 & GT2 cars. Any ALMS cars that run must run in ALMS spec...

Sean O'Gorman
12-15-04, 12:56 PM
It should be noted that, as they stand, the two JGTC car classes would wipe the floor with ACO/FIA-spec GT1 & GT2 cars. Any ALMS cars that run must run in ALMS spec...

I know, that is why they are trying to even things out by allowing the US teams to make one less pitstop, and some other things.

Steve99
12-15-04, 01:37 PM
Hmmmm, I'm an old guy, but I still help run an autocross series. I've noticed the young guys only follow one pro racing series, the Speed Challenge. They don't even know F1 and Champcar exist and they hate Nascar. Champcar should hook up with the import sedan road racers as a support series........like the old IMSA Firehawk.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but I think SPEED World Challenge will be with Champ Car in Denver for '05.