PDA

View Full Version : SCCA Runoffs

RacinM3
12-13-04, 12:36 PM
OK, I know I'm way behind the times, but I just saw most of the Runoffs on SPEED last weekend.

What a joke. At least three races had situations where the leader was punted out of the lead. Then the SCCA goes ahead and awards the wins to the punters. I mean, these were blatant moves. Guy gets up alongside the leader's rear fender (where he can't be seen), leader turns in, an BOOM, leader gets spun.

I know the SCCA reputation was for hard racing, with contact being the norm, but I didn't realize dirty racing was encouraged.

Anyway, I know my strategy if I ever decide to take part in the runoffs. After all, this year provides plenty of ammo for an appeal of a "dirty driving" DQ.

RichK
12-13-04, 12:50 PM
I didn't watch any punting races, so I can't comment on that. But I will point out that the Formula Ford and Formula Vee races were amazingly good!

Sean O'Gorman
12-13-04, 12:57 PM
Jim Daniels did lose his SSC win for the contact he made, and several drivers were docked positions in the T2 bashfest. They weren't mentioning these things on the broadcast. In the F500 race, they didn't mention how Doug Marsh was DQed.

But yeah, I agree, there was way too much contact. Nothing like watching a great 16 lap race, only to have the leader punted and ruin the whole race. :shakehead

RacinM3
12-13-04, 02:21 PM
Thanks, Sean, I hadn't gone to my back issues of SportsCar to see what the final results were. Daniels' move was by FAR the most blatant, and he deserved to lose the win. I'm assuming, however, that the 2nd place car was given the win (not the guy who was punted), so it still sucks.

Methanolandbrats
12-13-04, 02:45 PM
I didn't watch any punting races, so I can't comment on that. But I will point out that the Formula Ford and Formula Vee races were amazingly good! Yup,
No fenders = good racing.
Fenders = rich guys playing bumper cars.

FCYTravis
12-13-04, 05:29 PM
The final (post-DQ) results weren't mentioned because the production of the shows is done live-to-tape - no editing at all is or can be done post-race. We run with what we got.

There was some outstanding racing all week long, and it was a thrill to be there.

Travis
SCCA/SPEED TV Production Support Liaison

Sean O'Gorman
12-13-04, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Sean, I hadn't gone to my back issues of SportsCar to see what the final results were. Daniels' move was by FAR the most blatant, and he deserved to lose the win. I'm assuming, however, that the 2nd place car was given the win (not the guy who was punted), so it still sucks.

I didn't see Daniels' move, but it was evident from watching the race in person that he was going to catch the guy anyway, I don't know why he resorted to the chrome horn.

Ironic too since I raced against him one night on Xbox Live and I kept punting him for being a newbie, before he revealed he was an SCCA driver. :laugh: :o

Ankf00
12-13-04, 06:04 PM
Ironic too since I raced against him one night on Xbox Live and I kept punting him for being a newbie, :laugh: :o

[android comic book shop owner] biggest. nerd. ever. [/android comic book shop owner]

Steve99
12-13-04, 07:33 PM
I know the SCCA reputation was for hard racing, with contact being the norm, but I didn't realize dirty racing was encouraged.

But punting is allowed in NASCAR. It must be okay. :gomer:

Rogue Leader
12-13-04, 08:18 PM
SCCA

See Come Crash Again :gomer:

(PS yes I am a long time SCCA member!)

Methanolandbrats
12-13-04, 08:30 PM
SCCA

See Come Crash Again :gomer:

(PS yes I am a long time SCCA member!) SCCA also = Spoiled Children Crashing Automobiles.

Amanda B.'s Mom
12-13-04, 09:09 PM
I staying away from making the comments I really want to make about what
SCCA stands for. there are a lot of very dedicated people in SCCA who run clean races almost every weekend. they are occasssionally rewarded for this by reaching the podium. I have also seen SCCA racers advance to professional racing levels and be uite successful. It is all what a person wants it to be.

Fio1
12-13-04, 10:42 PM
It's fun to watch, but I never understand the point of the SCCA production classes. Some super rich guy with an extremely modified MG racing another rich guy in an extremely modified Triumph. I dodn't get it, it's the guy with the biggest budget that wins. They should get rid of these useless classes and have Spec Miata as a class. The SCCA is stuck in the 60's.... :rolleyes:

Sean O'Gorman
12-13-04, 10:54 PM
Spec Miata is joining the National level in '06.

FCYTravis
12-13-04, 11:13 PM
Uh, useless classes, Fio?

Some of the prod classes (EP, for example) have some of the highest participation rates in National racing. Ever heard of something called a Miata?A VW Golf? Your blessed "Miatas" are racing in Production and winning national championships.

If you wanna ban "rich guy" racing, why not start with CSR or Formula Atlantic - clearly the two most expensive classes in the SCCA?

Touring 3 is being created, it's likely that D Production will be started shortly - for World Challenge Touring Cars and other heavily modified modern sport sedans and as Sean said, Spec Miata is going national in 2006.

Rogue Leader
12-14-04, 12:04 AM
I staying away from making the comments I really want to make about what
SCCA stands for. there are a lot of very dedicated people in SCCA who run clean races almost every weekend. they are occasssionally rewarded for this by reaching the podium. I have also seen SCCA racers advance to professional racing levels and be uite successful. It is all what a person wants it to be.

That acronym was actually told to me by my instructors at Skip Barber. I've been a member of the SCCA since 1998 and the Chief Technical Inspector for NY Region Solo II for the past 2 years, I've found quite a bit to like. I honestly have not participated in anything SCCA related beyond Solo II. However seeing some of those races, and things I've heard over the years makes me question it sometimes. But to speak for my compatriots from NY, I know they are clean drivers, and many of them are very skilled.