PDA

View Full Version : RA Returns?

blueprint
12-13-04, 09:45 AM
According to Robin Miller in an article dated 12/12:

Elkhart Lake, the toughest challenge in American road racing, may be back on the 2005 Champ Car schedule.

President Dick Eidswick met with Road America officials last week about putting the legendary, 4-mile road course back on the '05 schedule. It's believed Elkhart Lake, which began running CART races in 1982, is interested but only if Champ Car runs in May.

A glimmer of hope on a cold and snowy day in Wisconsin.

rjohnson999
12-13-04, 10:01 AM
Memorial Day weekend is one week before the AMA RA race. The track can't cycle two pro spectator weekends in a row. The weekend of the 20-22 is in conflict with an SCCA National at Blackhawk and SCCA workers are not too kindly disposed toward CART/OWRS. RA has announced the weekend of the 13-15 is contracted to SVRA on its traditional date for the first big vintage event of the season. Anything before that risks destroying the turf.

I doubt this is going to happen.

Spicoli
12-13-04, 11:29 AM
Memorial Day weekend is one week before the AMA RA race. The track can't cycle two pro spectator weekends in a row. The weekend of the 20-22 is in conflict with an SCCA National at Blackhawk and SCCA workers are not too kindly disposed toward CART/OWRS. RA has announced the weekend of the 13-15 is contracted to SVRA on its traditional date for the first big vintage event of the season. Anything before that risks destroying the turf.

RA is the one offering the May date, not CCWS.

stroker
12-13-04, 11:34 AM
Memorial Day weekend is one week before the AMA RA race. The track can't cycle two pro spectator weekends in a row....

yeah, but what a great week as a spectator--see the Champ Cars and then knock around Wisconsin (Experimental Aircraft Association Museum, Door County, Madison, whatever) with friends for a few days and then catch the AMA race...

I wonder if they'd let you camp for the week... What would be REALLY cool is if they extended the season ticket deal as a result of picking up Champ Cars.

Yeah, I know. Ain't gonna happen...

Jervis Tetch 1
12-13-04, 11:45 AM
It would be nice.

Methanolandbrats
12-13-04, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=rjohnson999]Memorial Day weekend is one week before the AMA RA race. The track can't cycle two pro spectator weekends in a row. QUOTE]
Why?

KLang
12-13-04, 12:25 PM
Maybe I'm too picky but RoadAmerica in May just doesn't appeal to me that much. I'd prefer a warmer time of the year.

Why would RA insist on a May date?

Methanolandbrats
12-13-04, 12:35 PM
Maybe I'm too picky but RoadAmerica in May just doesn't appeal to me that much. I'd prefer a warmer time of the year.

Why would RA insist on a May date? We traditionally have four weeks of nice weather per year. Two weeks in late May/Early April and two weeks in late Sept/early Oct. During the summer you can count on brutal humidity interrupted by lines of violent thunderstorms. With a little luck, late May is very nice. Here is the mean climate data

http://www.uwex.edu/sco/msnnrmls.htm

Dirty Sanchez
12-13-04, 12:37 PM
I'm stoked for a May date. The weather there is always a challenge... I don't care what time of year it is. Just be prepared. :thumbup:

KLang
12-13-04, 12:39 PM
I lived in Des Moines for 25 years so I'm familiar with the weather up there, thus my lack of enthousiasm for visiting in May.

Amanda B.'s Mom
12-13-04, 08:08 PM
One thing I have learned after living near RA for many years. We would always leave the area Memorial Day weekend and head to northern WI. We would travel to areas where there were cold temps, and usually rain. back home the weather was beautiful. dunno if 20 years of living in the area counts for anything, but that is my 2 cents worth.

I would definately like to see a CCWS race at RA on Memorial Day weekend. There are many summer activities in that area. Very few things are going on that weekend. Finding a hotel room shouldn;t be a problem, even at this late date. WI is beautiful in the spring. And, if for some reason the race is rained out on Sunday, Many people have off on Monday.

RHR_Fan
12-13-04, 09:34 PM
May is not a good time for me. Besides, Champ Car needs to schedule their races around my schedule. :D April 1-3 would be a good time.

~Nicole

Railbird
12-13-04, 09:40 PM
I've learned to take the full range of clothing any time I head to Elkhrt Lake no matter what time of year.

Bring it on

Methanolandbrats
12-13-04, 10:03 PM
I've learned to take the full range of clothing any time I head to Elkhrt Lake no matter what time of year.

Bring it on This is the post of the year. Just put all your clothes in the car and drive to the track. That's what real racefans so :thumbup: :thumbup:

rjohnson999
12-14-04, 12:00 AM
Permanent track staff plus mower company contracts provide only enough resources to do the clean up and grooming on a two week cycle.

Memorial Day weekend is one week before the AMA RA race. The track can't cycle two pro spectator weekends in a row.
Why?

Mike Kellner
12-14-04, 12:01 AM
I live in Madison, and it could be anything from 90° and humid with thunderstorms that include hail and tornadoes to a blizzard. Perhaps all in the same weekend. Come in your halftrack, and bring two of everything. If everyone prepares for the worst imaginable weather, the Weather Gods may decide to play a trick, and serve up 72°, blue skys, and light winds.

mk

Redwing
12-14-04, 10:19 AM

Bring it on

I second this as post of the year. Remember the '86 two week race? How about the '97 deluge? And nobody complained about the '02 race, even though it was 90 and sunny at the start of the GT race, and rain delayed the start of the Champ car race hours later. May at RA - maybe it will snow.

pferrf1
12-14-04, 05:59 PM
May is a sure recipe for a dismal turnout. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong.

Methanolandbrats
12-14-04, 06:38 PM
May is a sure recipe for a dismal turnout. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong. You're wrong.

pferrf1
12-14-04, 06:41 PM
You're wrong.

How many were at this year's race during the summer? 20K? 25k? How many of than number camped at the track?

I would suspect that a May race, If only going to be worked on from January forward, would attract significantly less that last summer's race.

Methanolandbrats
12-14-04, 06:58 PM
They used to run in the fall, sometimes in crummy weather and there was'nt a blade of grass left to park on. Undoing FTG's ten years of scorched Earth will take a while. 04 was much better attended and upbeat than 03. As the IRL implodes and resources slosh back to Champcar, RA will improve. Champcar can either take a longterm view and preserve their most historic events or they can abandon them. Why not use a little cash from the parades to fund the real races until they recover?

skaven
12-14-04, 07:53 PM

Bring it on

I've got a small fortune invested in outdoor backpacking gear, so bring it on indeed. :cool:

RTKar
12-14-04, 07:56 PM
Ice fishing on Elkhart Lake after the track sessions are over :D

Ankf00
12-14-04, 08:19 PM
do they have moose up there? i always wanted to see a moose. montreal never has any moose when i visit :(

Opposite Lock
12-14-04, 09:01 PM
In my dream schedule, RA becomes a two-stopper on the circuit, with races in May AND in August. And I'd be camping again. :)

Railbird
12-14-04, 09:02 PM
http://ttc.coe.uga.edu/Debbie/Donna/GAvisit02/images/MooCow_JPG.jpg

Wisconsin moose

Opposite Lock
12-14-04, 09:05 PM
From this angle, that mosse looks like a tripod.

Ankf00
12-14-04, 09:08 PM
didn't know moose carried sponsorship these days, guess they're getting into the racing spirit in time for RA

RTKar
12-14-04, 09:32 PM
do they have moose up there? i always wanted to see a moose. montreal never has any moose when i visit :(

Further north and west, near Lake Superior there are a few. They come over from Minnesota. The U.P. may have some too......cools animals, big, gangly looking, and tempermental.

ncmlj
12-14-04, 09:52 PM
If May is the month they chose, so be it, i'll be there. Doesn't mean I agree though. I would like to see it like this.

Montreal Aug 28th
Road America Sept 11th
Las Vegas Sept 24th
Laguna Seca Oct 2

TorontoWorker
12-14-04, 10:02 PM
... and SCCA workers are not too kindly disposed toward CART/OWRS.

Why is this?

Methanolandbrats
12-14-04, 10:26 PM
Further north and west, near Lake Superior there are a few. They come over from Minnesota. The U.P. may have some too......cools animals, big, gangly looking, and tempermental. Yup, gotta go a little further north to see a moose. Tempermental and big is a good description. Basicly the moose is mellow and just hangs out, but it is also very good at stomping the living **** out of anything that happens to walk in front of it. If you meet one head-on while walking a narrow trail, you have a problem :eek:

Ankf00
12-14-04, 10:47 PM
http://ttc.coe.uga.edu/Debbie/Donna/GAvisit02/images/MooCow_JPG.jpg

Wisconsin moose
:rofl: :rofl:

dando
12-14-04, 10:48 PM
Here you go:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~phbaumga/bullwinkle.jpg

Welcome. :gomer:

Perhaps the moose hide when yer in Montreal? :p

-Kevin

dando
12-14-04, 10:50 PM
Wisconsin moose

No. That's more like Wisconsin Bevo. Ya gotta post in terms Ank can understand. ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-14-04, 10:58 PM
vocab smack from ohio state dude, novel ;)

Methanolandbrats
12-14-04, 11:02 PM
Bullwinkle is from Minnesota.

Mike Kellner
12-15-04, 01:11 AM
"Bullwinkle is from Minnesota."

Frostbite Falls, if my memory is still working.

mk

SteveH
12-15-04, 10:46 AM

mk

Home of Whatsamatta U.

pchall
12-15-04, 01:20 PM
No. That's more like Wisconsin Bevo. Ya gotta post in terms Ank can understand. ;)

-Kevin

That's DNFisher refining her roadracing skills at RA.

DaveL
12-15-04, 01:27 PM

mk

Home of world's supply of Upsydaisyium too.

Mike Kellner
12-15-04, 01:28 PM
Wisconsin moose? Wisconsin Bevo? DNFisher?

Heck, I thought it was a fat deer. Perhaps that is why no one wants to go hunting with me.

mk

rjohnson999
12-15-04, 11:21 PM
History of abusive treatment from race control. Oh, and the corner worker crew that bailed on Miami is Wisconsin based.

Why is this?

dando
12-15-04, 11:47 PM
That's DNFisher refining her roadracing skills at RA.
:rofl:

:thumbup:

-Kevin

gjc2
12-16-04, 08:27 AM
Home of world's supply of Upsydaisyium too.

Don't forget the world's greatest fish bate, mooseberrys.

George

G.
12-16-04, 01:14 PM
Wisconsin mooseIf you put your eyes real close to the screen and squint, I think I can see the number 3 on the ass end of that thing.

ncmlj
12-16-04, 07:36 PM
http://www.wisinfo.com/sheboyganpress/news/archive/local_19057499.shtml

Methanolandbrats
12-16-04, 11:10 PM
This year’s race, held Aug. 8, drew only 30,000, a drop of about 30 percent from the previous year.9
No F'n way. I drove and walked the entire track on friday and sunday in both 03 and 04 and there were more people in the paddock friday and many more motorhomes and people on sunday in 04. People have to wake the hell up, even 30,000 is nearly half of the peak years. It's not that big a stretch to build it back up when money comes sloshing back to Champcar. For a few years drop the sanctioning fee, promote it, find a sponsor or two.

The Doctor
12-16-04, 11:16 PM
Don't care who/how/when/why it gets back on the schedule. RA just needs to be there. Especially if they're not returning to Laguna. Can't work on new promotional ideas if they don't race there.

Andrew Longman
12-17-04, 04:34 PM
No F'n way. I drove and walked the entire track on friday and sunday in both 03 and 04 and there were more people in the paddock friday and many more motorhomes and people on sunday in 04. People have to wake the hell up, even 30,000 is nearly half of the peak years. It's not that big a stretch to build it back up when money comes sloshing back to Champcar. For a few years drop the sanctioning fee, promote it, find a sponsor or two.

I was there on 02 and 04 and there was quite a drop off from 02. But I'm likely to go again any and all times they run there. It is my Mecca of sorts. I just wish I would not be mostly motivated by the fear that "this year might be the last".

Yes, get it on the schedule. Keep it on the schedule. Promote it and the series and people will come. This series needs road course events of this type to define the brand and series and show people what these cars are really capable of. Taking it to the streets makes sense for the obvious economic reason, but its also nuts to take a car or that caliper and run it on the streets. That's why people come. But you only appreciate it if you really know what the cars can really do.

Methanolandbrats
12-17-04, 05:45 PM
I was there on 02 and 04 and there was quite a drop off from 02. But I'm likely to go again any and all times they run there. It is my Mecca of sorts. I just wish I would not be mostly motivated by the fear that "this year might be the last".

Yes, get it on the schedule. Keep it on the schedule. Promote it and the series and people will come. This series needs road course events of this type to define the brand and series and show people what these cars are really capable of. Taking it to the streets makes sense for the obvious economic reason, but its also nuts to take a car or that caliper and run it on the streets. That's why people come. But you only appreciate it if you really know what the cars can really do. All true and 03 was the bottom.

TorontoWorker
12-19-04, 12:44 AM
History of abusive treatment from race control.

Define "abusive". Are we talking about pre-Gary era, THE Gary era, or post-Gary era?

Notice the running trend in the above question? :D

I find the current race control (speaking of race com only) to be one of the best in pro racing, BUT... I do have to admit that there were chief coms such as the one from Vancouver and the "Clowns" flunky we called "Barf Man" who were not exactly highlights in the CART/ChampCar/OWRS working relationships when it came to corner workers.

Of course G.B was a special case all to himself. A real type A. (as$hole) While I never had a problem with him - I do know many who did.

(The all time Gary quote to a corner com to be relayed to her corner chief over an open net: "IM NOT YELLING AT YOU - IM YELLING THROUGH YOU - TELL YOUR CORNER CHEIF HE IS FIRED!)

Mind you, all of the people who had their flesh removed by Gary - DID make some mistakes. One COULD argue that this tough treatment shouldn't be handed out to volunteers. I don't see it this way. I just see myself and our crews as a bunch of professionals who the payroll dept has managed to miss getting our names on the cheques again... :rofl: However, one rule should always prevale: The amount of s**t flung - should match the scope of the screw-up.

I could never come to grips with Gary's public floggings over minor faults. I don't treat my employees this way - a quiet talk works much better, (and these are people paid for this work I might add). When you have a group of people missing family BBQ's and birthday parties to keep rich guys safe while they race - one must try to refrain from acting like a screaming queen on PCP.

Ever worked Montreal (F1) in the 80-90''s? Try it as an Anglo from Ontario during the political drive to leave Canada. I started to use my Atlanta accent (picked up from my SCCA friends - thank you!) just so race control (oop's CENTRAL!!!) would reply in English to me. Of course all this went downhill when "größenwahnsinniger anfuhrer", (look it up) Lynda P. found out I wasn't American! Even crap in french sounds like crap...

I take it all in stride and treat corner workering as a form of entertainment (for me). When I find something I fancy that is better then what I do at the track - I go do it. Certainly corner working is cheaper then flight training!

I always say: You don't like my flagging? Then dock me some pay - or F off! :rofl:

FCYTravis
12-19-04, 03:00 AM
(The all time Gary quote to a corner com to be relayed to her corner chief over an open net: "IM NOT YELLING AT YOU - IM YELLING THROUGH YOU - TELL YOUR CORNER CHEIF HE IS FIRED!)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I had heard Gary was bad. I hadn't heard he was *THAT* bad.

Wow.

For what it's worth, I've worked six Champ Car races - Laguna Seca, Portland, Road America and Mid-Ohio in 2003 and Long Beach and Laguna Seca in 2004. I've found the "new" regime to be wonderfully easy to get along with and to work with. Jim Swintal is a complete class act on the headset, IMO. I've heard the horror stories about the old days, but the current Champ Car crew is tops in dealing with us flaggers.

Even when things go to **** - like the 2003 Jet Dryer Grand Prix of Rain America's interminably terminally stupid rain delay - Jim treated us right, giving us all the info he possibly could and being a very good transmitter of our concerns out on the corners.

When things work great - like at the Laguna Seca Atlantics race when he called for a Black Flag board on Ryan Dalziel in Turn 4, Turn 5 quickspotted and I nailed him with the board in Turn 7 all on the same lap - he's quick to commend and praise us for doing our jobs with precision, accuracy and speed.

I *love* working Champ Car, and as long as Jim Swintal stays as Clerk of the Course, I don't think that'll change.

TorontoWorker
12-21-04, 03:17 PM
Jim Swintal is a complete class act on the headset, IMO. I've heard the horror stories about the old days, but the current Champ Car crew is tops in dealing with us flaggers.

You got that right! :thumbup: In fact Jimmy has been a flagger in the past (pre-cart starter days) so he can relate to what we go through.

The final straw for a few people around these parts (Ontario) as well as Detroit Region/MIS Turn workers was the treatment dished out to workers who had "hardcards". While there were a few goof-off's who had hardcards because of "who" they knew instead of what they knew - I found for the most part these people were the most experianced workers at the track. Yes some seemed to think they were in a different world then the rest of us and that they were gods gift to race working - essp one guy from Detroit... :rolleyes: however, what Chris Pook did was plain stupid.

Remember right after Pook's changes when we had THREE people in race control who all shared "control" of the race? Madness! No wonder things went into a powerdive. The name escapes me but one guy hired to take over Wally's job lasted a race or two and had a heart attack right inthe control booth, I think in OZ. Thats because he had to deal with all these major "roids" in the row behind him all yelling at him.

Spicoli
12-21-04, 04:36 PM
:group hug for flaggers: