PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Collectible in Your Collection?

racer2c
12-05-04, 09:58 PM
I went through a couple of boxes of racing collectibles I have. The wife makes me keep 90% packed up. I rotate through things every year or so. I have many diecast cars, old F1 trading cards, lot's of Senna stuff, lot's of PPG indyCar stuff, about two dozen hats misc crap you pick up at races year after year.

I guess my favorite things are the two lighted wall signs of Al Jr and Booby Rahal. They hang in my office.
The signed and numbered Jerry Gambaccini Senna in his McLaren ink that hangs in our kitchen.
My Senna statuette that lives under a dome of glass on my desk. I bought that in '94. At the time Autoweek said it didn't resemble him in the least, but I like it.
The Mansell and Senna litho at the Spanish GP in '92. Hangs in our living room.
My Zanardi/Vasser Weaties box of cereal.
The 25 cent 1958 post card of Indy where the person writes back home about the 500 they are at.
My many pictures of my granddad and pop at the 500 in the late 60's with Mario and Vukovich.

These are just a fraction of some things I like in my collection.

Tell me about yours.

cart7
12-05-04, 10:15 PM
My 94 Mario diecast. I've got some old 1980's event hat pins I like and an entry form to the 1974 Indy 500.

nrc
12-05-04, 10:22 PM
Probably our signed #4 Zanardi Target diecast.

TorontoWorker
12-05-04, 10:38 PM
I collect car parts - end plates, parts of wings, barge boards etc.. F1, Champ Car as well as a few ALMS parts as well.

RTKar
12-05-04, 10:40 PM
A Kaiser Aluminum dirt car signed by Roger Ward. I spent quite awhile chatting with him at a charity event several years back. I also have a #98 "Old Calhoun" roadster signed by Parnelli Jones. I chatted a bit with him as well. Both of those guys were great names from my childhood that I saw race. In my collection, though, they are the things I cherish the most because of the time they both spent chatting racing with me.

Ziggy
12-05-04, 11:10 PM
being able to hang out with some of the guys who made history. Some of them are really cool.

I got tons of stuff. Sound like you do to RTKar. We should give our wives a pat on the back for putting up with all this macho clutter! My 3 yearold granddaughter knows what a McLaren, Ferarri, Lotus and Eagle are.

Aint no Precious Moments or Longbarger Baskets here, take up to much room!

Would trade it all in today if I could change the outcome of the split, cause nobody cares

Champcar, No Doors, No Dales :gomer:

Ziggy

Sean O'Gorman
12-06-04, 12:20 AM
I have a blue Matchbox NASCAR Lumina that says Matchbox Racing on it and has the #35, it is my favorite because it inspired my number. :cool:

Beyond that, probably my 1/64 scale '93 Minichamps. I have a Senna McLaren, Andretti's Lola, Tracy's Penske, and a Castrol DTM car. It was such a huge deal to me when I was 10 to have a handful of $10 diecast cars that I bought with my allowance, they were obviously the only ones at the time I didn't take out of the box.

Michaelhatesfans
12-06-04, 01:33 AM
Favorite??? Tough call...
This is the one that my wife always says that she is going to get if we ever get divorced. ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=223&item=6938087935&rd=1
I've had it for years - she brought it home for my birthday in '96, and wasn't sure if I'd like it because of the rain tires. I just went like this - :eek:

I've got a lot of signed diecasts, I'll have to get some photos online to share one of these days.

I've got a Montoya autograph on an Indy poster from the year he won it, as well as an Emmo signed 1989 Indy program. On a lighter note, I had Moreno sign an old On Track in which he was on the cover for the F3000 season review (he borrowed it for the weekend, I had to stalk the transporter on Sunday morning to get it back!)

Like most, I tend to think of the missed opportunites, things I didn't get signed or didn't buy - which are endless, I'm afraid! :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
12-06-04, 12:33 PM
Mine's a bit personal, but I'll include it anyway.

A picture of me and Ayrton Senna at the 1984 Detroit Grand Prix. He's actually smiling too!

Winston Wolfe
12-06-04, 01:40 PM
Lotsa stuff.
My JV \ AZ Wheaties box.... signed by both.
My TCGR "4xs" Champions 1\64 scale tin with all 4 Champ Cars in it, and all 4 drivers on the lid, and all 4 signatures of the drivers, each over their picture. (And special thanks to Dave99 who got Monty's sig, just before the line closed at the autograph session in Fontana in '00 and JPM was off to F1.... thanks again, D99 :thumbup: ....)
My pic of Alex Zanardi and me at LBGP in '01.... I had this deal where I would get a picture of me with each driver at LB in the spring, then get the good ones enlarged to 5x7 and take it to Laguna or Fontucky in the fall, and get that driver to sign it..... Obviously, I never got the chance to have Z-man sign this one, but it is still on the wall, in the frame, waiting for the day I can actually get it signed.
I also really like the collection of signed 1\18th I have.... Tracy '98 KOOL, Vasser Superman, big Mo '98 Hollywood, GDF Valvoline Walker car, Max Papis Harley car, and then a whole bunch of 1\43rd scale with the plexi lids...
But the Zanardi pic, and any of the '98 - '00 Honda, TCGR stuff has got to be the favorites....

Anteater
12-06-04, 02:12 PM
1:18 scale Pioneer car (da Matta's from 2000)

Redwing
12-06-04, 02:19 PM
My autographed programs from the Historic Races at Road America. I have two from Stirling Moss and one signed by Juan Manuel-Fangio. I also have a photo taken by another fan of Fangio singing mr poster.

My photo of me standing next to Sir Frank Williams at Compaq.

A collection of programs from Road America dating back to 1968. Lots of fun stuff.

Ferdman
12-06-04, 02:54 PM
My favorite is my 1/18 Greg Moore '97 Reynard that I converted to the correct Player's livery and had Greg autograph at Long Beach in '99. I plan on taking it apart and painting the gloves on the figure to Greg's signature red gloves.

Close favorites:
-Gavin MacLeod print titled "Champion" which depicts Jacques V crossing the line of bricks in '95. It is signed by the late artist and JV. The print is #27, same as his car#.
-1/18 '97 Reynard of Alex Zanardi signed by Alex, Chip, and Mo.
-3 liter magnum bottle of Merlot (I think) commemorating Alex Zanardi's back to back CART Champ Car championships. The glass is etched and painted with Alex's Reynard and is autographed by Alex. Of the 100 bottle run, I have #98 and my brother has #97. We chose these numbers as the years Alex won his championships. :cool:

JoeBob
12-06-04, 03:05 PM
I don't collect that much stuff. I have lots of autographs accumulated over the years, including a helmet visor signed by Max Papis, Greg Moore, and Tony Kanaan. (I also have one of Adrian Fernandez's visors signed.)

The only "car part" I have is Greg Moore's skid plate from Cleveland his rookie season (his second career podium finish). Its the kind of thing I've pondered getting rid of (its just a hunk of scraped up aluminum) but I can't seem to do it.

If anyone wants to give it a good home, drop me a line!

anait
12-06-04, 03:10 PM
I have only a few collectibles. A glossy 8x10 of Greg Moore, bought for me by mr anait off ebay; PT's current car in paper by paper, won for me by mr anait in T-O this year (signed case, very nice :cool: ); and an inexpensive Hot Wheels version of this lovely car: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=223&item=6938685145&rd=1 .

theunions
12-06-04, 03:19 PM
Excluding stuff I made myself (i.e., built model kits, signed banners), I guess I'd have to say the Memo Gidley ('02 downtown Portland pit stop demo) and Johnny Unser ('95 Le Mans) helmets atop my bookshelf, representing two of the people who have been the most influential in my professional motorsports "career," and very good friends to boot. Even though MG wrote something "unprintable" on the back of his... :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
12-06-04, 11:16 PM
Signed Greg Moore hat. He signed it at Milwaukee the year he died. I thanked him for signing it and told him his save coming off turn three was the most amazing car control I had ever seen. He actually looked up and said " thankyou, it's nice you noticed that". Damn, the nicest guy I ever met, one of the most talented ever. :(

Cam
12-06-04, 11:34 PM
A personally signed pic of Mika Hakkinen... I have several rare diecasts but the Mika autograph stands out. :)

Spicoli
12-06-04, 11:38 PM
1996 Buddy Lazier T-Shirt. signed by AJ Foyt. :gomer:

Cam
12-06-04, 11:47 PM
1996 Buddy Lazier T-Shirt. signed by AJ Foyt. :gomer:

MUST BITE TONGUE! I am not going there..... :D

Chitowncartfreak
12-06-04, 11:48 PM
My 1998 Alex Zanardi Barilla cap. It is from the stash that accompanied he and the team that year - it is not a replica.

JohnHKart
12-07-04, 12:07 AM
My 1992 British Grand Prix hat signed by the winner Nigel Mansell (at his Kmart appearance in Long Beach in April 1993.) It was amazing to me then to meet a reigning F1 World Champion at a Kmart and it's even more unfathomable and impossible for something like that to happen now.

John

Methanolandbrats
12-07-04, 12:31 AM
My 1992 British Grand Prix hat signed by the winner Nigel Mansell (at his Kmart appearance in Long Beach in April 1993.) It was amazing to me then to meet a reigning F1 World Champion at a Kmart and it's even more unfathomable and impossible for something like that to happen now.

John No sheet, you're the winner. That is NEVER going to happen again.

Wabbit
12-07-04, 01:35 AM
Vasser/Zanardi autographed Wheaties box
Picture of me and Mario Andretti
Drawing my wife did of Michael Andretti winning in Australia for Ganassi and the Reynard 1994, signed.
Picture of me standing in Forsythe Racings shop next to the car of Greg Moores first CART win.

Ankf00
12-07-04, 01:57 AM
senna's penske indycar
moore and carp matching players cars
button williams
F333SP

Robstar
12-07-04, 01:59 AM
My signed PT hat - I had nothing for Jimmy to sign so I got him to sign the back... :D

He said "Not sure if PT'll be happy about that... " :laugh:

DjDrOmusic
12-07-04, 12:19 PM
My Wheaties box signed by Jeemy and Alex, and my bronze belt buckle, that has Mario in his Lotus on the front with a list of his race wins from his World Championship year. It was a gift from my Father, he gave it to me at Watkins Glen in 1980 at the Grand Prix. About an hour later, I realized I was camped next to Mario's Motorhome and waited near the door to ask him for his autograph on the box. It was also the year I watched him ream Mikey's @$$ for not being nice to a few fans who had asked for an autograph, Mikey had just won the supporting Kart race, and heard Mario proclaim as he wailed on Mikey's rear end, "Those people make sure you have a career by buying tickets to watch you race, don't you ever let me see you snub a fan again!" Mikey must have not learned his lesson!

racer2c
12-07-04, 12:34 PM
I'll trade you guys with the Alex/Jimmy signed Weaties box, for a nice clean Alex/Jimmy Weaties box without messy signatures on them. ;) :)

KobySon
12-07-04, 02:13 PM
don't really have much either...

I have one of Junqueira's sparco turtlenecks. I don't treat that like a collectable.

I caught the Gran Premio of Mexico hat that Kenny Brack threw during the hat dance at the first race there... again, I don't really treat it like a collectable.

RacinM3
12-07-04, 02:30 PM
A picture of me and Ayrton Senna at the 1984 Detroit Grand Prix. He's actually smiling too!

If I had one of those it'd be my favorite, too, hands down. Nice job.

I guess mine is my KMart/NH hat from '93 that Mansell signed for me at Laguna. A lot like JohnHKart's.

That's really about the only 'collectible' I have, though.

rabbit
12-07-04, 03:37 PM
My favorite used to be a Kmart/Texaco-Havoline hat given to me by Michael Andretti for giving him a lift in a golf cart at Cleveland a few years ago. My wife and I had a garage sale last summer and I put 50 cents on it... no takers. :gomer:

Wabbit
12-07-04, 03:42 PM
My favorite used to be a Kmart/Texaco-Havoline hat given to me by Michael Andretti for giving him a lift in a golf cart at Cleveland a few years ago. My wife and I had a garage sale last summer and I put 50 cents on it... no takers. :gomer:

Do you still have it? I'm interested.

mapguy
12-07-04, 04:02 PM
Don't have much in the area of racing collectables. Most of my stuff is aviation related. But I do have a Player's Ltd racing hat that I got at a Toyota Atlantic race at Mosport back in 1993. On it I have signatures from Jacques Villeneuve, Claude Bourbonnais, Patrick Carpentier, Trevor Seibert, David Empringham, Mark Dismore and Colin Trueman.

rabbit
12-07-04, 04:03 PM
Do you still have it? I'm interested.
Dunno. I think it got donated to Goodwill.

pchall
12-08-04, 11:37 AM
I have only one collectible, a Cox .049 Chaparral 2 tether car which Jim Hall was kind enough to sign for me at Indy during practice.

nissan gtp
12-08-04, 06:00 PM
I got tons of stuff. And my wife let's me put it all over the house :D

Favorites include some Randy Owens serigraphs... "Monaco Grand Prix" is the most valuable I think, "May Day" (Senna tribute) is great, "The Cat's Ass" is my favorite from a purely artistic point of view.

Gots buches of die cast in 1/43 and 1/18... favorite ? .... dunno, I like most of em ;)

Books... "The Turbo Years" is sweet.

I fly my Champ Car flag on the front of the house pretty often.

FCYTravis
12-08-04, 06:12 PM
A three-foot-long carbon-fiber honeycomb chunk of the right sidepod of the #37 Banana Joe's/Intersport Lola/MG LMP675, complete with Banana Joe's logo, number panel, IMSA position lights and the autograph of the driver who crashed it, Duncan Dayton.

I picked it up off the track during last year's ALMS race at Sears Point, where Dayton T-boned a Porsche 911 hard enough to crack the tub. If you've seen pictures of that car afterward, you know what I mean :eek:

Duncan suffered a foot injury in the crash, but was a good sport and gracious enough to sign it at Laguna Seca later that year.

Duncan Dayton
What's Left!!!!!
Sears Point 2003

:cool:

Now if I can just find a wiring diagram for the position lights...

Probably my other most treasured memento is a Cooper Tires Racing hat autographed by all the 2004 Cooper Tires Zetec Championship drivers.

FCYTravis
12-08-04, 06:14 PM
Champcar, No Doors, No Dales :gomer:
Dale Coyne? :laugh:

racer2c
12-08-04, 06:56 PM
I've always wanted a piece of a real Champ Car or a tire. In the late 80's and early 90's I would see people walking out of the race gates with wings and tires. They're better talkers than I, because I always got that look like, "who do you think you are" or "you're not a chick". :D

Are there any web sites that sell that stuff? When I google it, I get very expensive visors and I'm not into the look of the visor sans helmet, espicially for what they go for!

RTKar
12-08-04, 07:15 PM
Are there any web sites that sell that stuff? When I google it, I get very expensive visors and I'm not into the look of the visor sans helmet, espicially for what they go for!

Yup,

http://www.jmjauto.com/

RHR_Fan
12-08-04, 08:45 PM
I think mine would have to be the Ford hat I got from Ryan at the podium in Milwaukee. I was so afraid to wear it outside of the house at first because you can't buy those.

~Nicole

Dave99
12-08-04, 09:42 PM
For racing I'd say my favorites are:

1- Mario Andretti Arrivederci replica helmet (signed in person)

2- Jackie Stewart 1971 Monoco GP diecast (signed in person)

3- Greg Moore 97 UT with Player's decals (signed in person)

Non racing:

1- 1981 World Series baseball signed by Dodgers Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey, Fernando, Yeager, R. Monday, D. Baker and R. Smith (all signed in person)

2- Full size USC helmet signed by Trojans Sam "Bam" Cunningham, Anthony Davis, Pat Haden, Charles White, Marcus Allen and Ronnie Lott (all signed in person)