PDA

View Full Version : TG on the new earl engine spec

cart7
12-03-04, 04:13 PM
Tony George Speaks Out on Future IRL Engines
Written by: Dan Carney Dearborn, Mich. – 12/3/2004

The Indy Racing League will announce its 2007 season rules for engines by mid-2005, said Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Tony George during his appearance at the Society of Automotive Engineers Motorsports Engineering Conference in Detroit .

With rumors swirling in the wake of General Motors’ announced departure from the IRL, George is discussing a new rules package with manufacturers designed to make supporting the series more appealing. At this point, all options are on the table, said George.

The IRL began with production-based engines, but as it has moved to pure race engines speeds have accelerated, prompting calls for a return to production-based engines. “Production engines are very good for road racing, but they are not as good for ovals,” opined George. But he added that the final decision could go either way, depending on what potential participants want.

“Production engines are something that we will look at and consider as part of the process,” George said. However, he noted, the danger of building a series around production engines is what to do if the manufacturers that build those engines pack up and go home? “If all the manufacturers pull out, we need something we can go racing with,” said George. Specialty racing engine builders like Cosworth and Ilmor could easily fill that gap, which is part of the appeal of purpose-built engines.

The IRL’s primary goals for the new engines are stability and cost containment, George said. Rules written with those goals in mind should make the series more attractive to manufacturers and teams alike. The IRL has had “one very productive meeting with one manufacturer” regarding participation in the series, and has another expressing interest in the series, but with whom he has not yet met, George added.

racer2c
12-03-04, 04:27 PM
Tony said they would look at production based engines and pure race engines. In other words he's waiting for someone (from Japan) to tell him what they will offer.

Don Quixote
12-03-04, 04:39 PM
This guy is in so far over his head ....

Wabbit
12-03-04, 05:23 PM
“one very productive meeting with one manufacturer”

Toyota?

Sean O'Gorman
12-03-04, 05:31 PM
Specialty racing engine builders like Cosworth...could easily fill that gap

No it can't. :D

racer2c
12-03-04, 05:33 PM

Toyota?

Oldsmobile! ;) :D

Hey Tony, break out those old 4.0 liter boat anchors that you say are so good at road racing and badge them Tonymobiles you half wit!

JoeBob
12-03-04, 06:52 PM
“If all the manufacturers pull out, we need something we can go racing with,”

Gee, why is Tony even thinking of this scenario?

Chitowncartfreak
12-03-04, 07:34 PM

Toyota?

They've also had "very productive meetings" with new series sponsors, new teams, new drivers, etc. Not too much to show from these productive meetings...

pinniped
12-03-04, 07:39 PM
The key lies with analyzing the words he used. "Productive" and "meeting" have many different connotations. Arguably, if he called someone on his cell phone while taking a crap, it could be a "productive meeting."

KobySon
12-03-04, 08:19 PM
Gee, why is Tony even thinking of this scenario?

Ha! I'm surprised that his handlers didn't train him better than that. But we are talking about Toeknee.

pineapple
12-03-04, 09:12 PM
The IRL began with production-based engines,

“Production engines are very good for road racing, but they are not as good for ovals,” opined George.

Huh? So, the IRL started with the wrong engine, and has raced an all-oval schedule with the wrong engine all this time?

Someone just give him a hot-shot and get it over with - it would be a kindness.

JLMannin
12-03-04, 09:29 PM
The "productive meeting" was probably with whoever bought all those old Buick/Menard engines. Or maybe Judd. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dave99
12-03-04, 09:29 PM
Quote:

Very astute observation by Mr. TG.

Translation: If we don't have any engines, we'll need engines. :gomer:

RTKar
12-03-04, 11:02 PM
Quote:

Very astute observation by Mr. TG.

Translation: If we don't have any engines, we'll need engines. :gomer:

Without engines, he'll have Soap Box derby....and the second best one at that.

nrc
12-03-04, 11:18 PM
“Production engines are very good for road racing, but they are not as good for ovals,”

Man, just when you thought he couldn't get any more stupid. Are there any two words from him in that piece that can be connected to sound like he has any clue what he's talking about?

DaveL
12-03-04, 11:25 PM
Huh? So, the IRL started with the wrong engine, and has raced an all-oval schedule with the wrong engine all this time?

:laugh: :thumbup:

If I may, I'd like to summarize what Idiotgrandson said (ahem) "We don't have an effing clue about what engines we're gonna have in '07 and we're praying that someone will step up to bail our sorry asses out."

If I've left something out, please add.

Dave99
12-03-04, 11:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Tony George needs help tieing his shoelaces in the morning. You left that out. :)

pineapple
12-04-04, 12:36 AM
:laugh: :thumbup:

If I may, I'd like to summarize what Idiotgrandson said (ahem) "We don't have an effing clue about what engines we're gonna have in '07 and we're praying that someone will step up to bail our sorry asses out."

:) Well, according to his illogic, he can't run production engines because they are made for road courses, and he can't run "pure race engines" because they are made for road courses, so he'll have to find a manufacturer to build .....

production engines!!!

He better hope Eddie doesn't screw up that Mecachrome deal. :eek:

Ozarkian
12-04-04, 02:07 AM
“Production engines are very good for road racing, but they are not as good for ovals,”

Man, just when you thought he couldn't get any more stupid. Are there any two words from him in that piece that can be connected to sound like he has any clue what he's talking about?

Must have something to do with that "coefficient of friction" thingee ...

Winston Wolfe
12-04-04, 02:44 AM

Someone just give him a hot-shot and get it over with - it would be a kindness.

DOOD, that is, without a friggin; DOUBT, the MF'in Post of the year !!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

(and I am not even exactly sure what a "hot shot" is, but in this scenario, it sure does sound good !) :D :thumbup:

Racewriter
12-04-04, 11:59 AM

If "production engines aren't as good for ovals," I'm curious WTF it is that 100,000 oval racers are using every frickin' weekend? Or, for that matter, what the biggest racing series in the US is using?

He may be the dumbest SOB ever to infect racing.

FTG
12-04-04, 12:12 PM
"May be" who else is a contender?

Railbird
12-04-04, 12:33 PM
I see they let "mumbles" out of his cage again.

I would imagine the folks in damage control are making a little overtime this weekend.

Brickman
12-04-04, 01:01 PM
Tony George Speaks Out on Future IRL Engines
Written by: Dan Carney Dearborn, Mich. – 12/3/2004

The Indy Racing League will announce its 2007 season rules for engines by mid-2005, said Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Tony George during his appearance at the Society of Automotive Engineers Motorsports Engineering Conference in Detroit .

With rumors swirling in the wake of General Motors’ announced departure from the IRL, George is discussing a new rules package with manufacturers designed to make supporting the series more appealing. At this point, all options are on the table, said George.

The IRL began with production-based engines, but as it has moved to pure race engines speeds have accelerated, prompting calls for a return to production-based engines. “Production engines are very good for road racing, but they are not as good for ovals,” opined George. But he added that the final decision could go either way, depending on what potential participants want.

“Production engines are something that we will look at and consider as part of the process,” George said. However, he noted, the danger of building a series around production engines is what to do if the manufacturers that build those engines pack up and go home? “If all the manufacturers pull out, we need something we can go racing with,” said George. Specialty racing engine builders like Cosworth and Ilmor could easily fill that gap, which is part of the appeal of purpose-built engines.

The IRL’s primary goals for the new engines are stability and cost containment, George said. Rules written with those goals in mind should make the series more attractive to manufacturers and teams alike. The IRL has had “one very productive meeting with one manufacturer” regarding participation in the series, and has another expressing interest in the series, but with whom he has not yet met, George added.

If the manufacturers pull out it will be because of the $$$$$ they need to spend racing in the IRL building the "specialty racing engines".

I would suggest speaking to them all at once. George needs Toyota and Honda NOT because of the engines, but because they write the checks that make the teams run. Which makes this comment soo foolish “If all the manufacturers pull out, we need something we can go racing with,” You need real sponsors TG. :shakehead

The only one person in ALL of these years who doesn't have his head up his ass when it comes to engines is Kalkhoven.

Winston Wolfe
12-04-04, 01:40 PM
If the manufacturers pull out it will be because of the $$$$$ they need to spend racing in the IRL building the "specialty racing engines".

I would suggest speaking to them all at once. George needs Toyota and Honda NOT because of the engines, but because they write the checks that make the teams run. Which makes this comment soo foolish “If all the manufacturers pull out, we need something we can go racing with,” You need real sponsors TG. :shakehead

The only one person in ALL of these years who doesn't have his head up his ass when it comes to engines is Kalkhoven.

.... and Brick chimes in with post with about equal parts of drama and intelligence as Mr. George. :rolleyes:

- "I would suggest talking to them all at once."

Gee, do ya think ? :shakehead

This is "Mumbles" were talking about here.... duh !

Brickman
12-04-04, 05:19 PM
.... and Brick chimes in with post with about equal parts of drama and intelligence as Mr. George. :rolleyes:

- "I would suggest talking to them all at once."

Gee, do ya think ? :shakehead

This is "Mumbles" were talking about here.... duh !

Gee ya think you could be critical about something of substance rather than my common sense comment. Emulating Tony yourself? I have no doubt he wouldn't be able to chair the disscussion. I doubt he will be able to come up with a reasonable solution on his own.

spinner26
12-04-04, 06:38 PM
Does this gomer grandson wasteoid crackhead sob have a frickin clue about racing and what it takes to be successful? :shakehead

I mean his vision faild, all the gasoline alley teams / builders..... Gone.

All the sellout teams and yen mfg's are looking to bail a.s.a.p........ Failure.

NASCAR, F-1 at 16 & G'town, because his vision failed and the attendance of the once greatest race which supported the facility went south..........Dum bass.

Will he have to sell IMS to ISC??? It could be in the future vision :rofl:

DaveL
12-04-04, 08:31 PM
Does this gomer grandson wasteoid crackhead sob have a frickin clue about racing and what it takes to be successful? :shakehead
:

The answer is within the question itself.

One thing I'd like to know is why he claims a "production based" engine is more suitable for road racing? I mean, what criteria is going on? Someone? Anyone? :confused:

Quick, someone let the folks if F1 know they're using the wrong engine.

DjDrOmusic
12-04-04, 11:48 PM
Without engines, he'll have Soap Box derby....and the second best one at that.

That is TOO true! This past summer, at the All American SoapBox Derby, I was forced to set up and perform right across the access road from the Cheepmobile. To make a long story short, I let the CW description slip out, and one of the kids that was racing that weekend, came up and laughed and said that his derby racer looked faster and better than "that thing". :D :thumbup:

Jag_Warrior
12-05-04, 12:07 AM
Unless he goes with Grand Am style engines, my guess is he is SOL.

Daimler-Chrysler will be in total control of Ilmor by 2007. An Amigo owns Cossie. They work for $ - crazy things actually expect to turn a profit! Anybody heard of any manufacturer wanting to spend big money (badging engines) just to get .5's on ABC? On top of all that, the Colombian rebels are having trouble moving "product" into the U.S. Poor Tony just can't catch a break, can he?! Dayuum! Poor dumb b@stard... :cry:

Peter Venkman
12-05-04, 12:22 AM
"One thing I'd like to know is why he claims a "production based" engine is more suitable for road racing? I mean, what criteria is going on? Someone? Anyone?"

I don't propose to know what goes on in that little coke heads head, but perhaps he means that a production engine, which he thinks won't rev as high as a real race engine would have more torque, and that is definately good for road racing as opposed to a pure racing engine that is designed to run at a very small rev band, as on ovals.

But he should know that because he's been head of a failing series, dicatating the rules and specifications for how many years now?

The guy is pooping red hot thingies, knowing that he's up a creek with his current engine providers (team money providers), and he's llooking for someone to provide a candle so that he can find his way out of his own arse.

I will bet a six pack of fine Polish beer that when, not if, the Nipponese bail, and GM sqiggles away, and KK gives him a proposed bill for Cosworths, that selling his little series and its playground may not be as heritical as it seems.

Go Tony! Dimwit.

Spicoli
12-05-04, 09:55 AM
The dick's got a belt loose somewhere, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

But to suggest he's going to sell IMS is just a joke. NO way.

But the .1RL folding? I see that happening for sure. Absolutely they will shrink it down to about 4 races first (in the name of cost savings), as the Yen hurls itsself into the arms of Na$cab.

Fred's take on this will be good. Can't wait for it. :shakehead

Rome is burning.

FTG
12-05-04, 01:23 PM
Just my opinion, but I think TG has got enough family money to prop up the .1RL indefintely. When the family gets tired of subsidizing his little toy, they'll sell the brickyard to ISC.

Skater_36
12-05-04, 04:05 PM
Just my opinion, but I think TG has got enough family money to prop up the .1RL indefintely. When the family gets tired of subsidizing his little toy, they'll sell the brickyard to ISC.

The key phrase is "family money". I believe the family, as in siblings, have already registered a complaint about the amount of family money that has been flushed away on Tonys hobby. I believe TG will have to spend his own portion of the family trust from 2005 on out so he may be a tad more stingy with his generosity going forward. I would be surprised if the Hulman family ever sold IMS, too much of a family heirloom.

Bottom line, the IRL could be facing serious issues when the yen goes away because Honda and Toyota are the only thing holding the series together right now.

sundaydriver2
12-05-04, 08:55 PM
My question is who are the teams going to be without homoco and TuRD??

Fielding 18 cars will be almost impossibe not to mention the car count for the 497.

Next year will be the last year. :thumbup: