View Full Version : Just Wondering...

Pages : 1 [2]

Ankf00
12-05-04, 09:44 PM
I heard Toyota F1 hates puppies, and jeebus, and therefore hated DaMatta

RTKar
12-05-04, 09:48 PM
seldom see it get this stupid on OC.

The fact is CdM got fired and no other team bothered to inquire about his services.

Get over it

It's always amazed me how some guys in F1 can hang around, seemingly forever as some guys in NASCAR do, with little to show in the way of results while others are bounced who appear to have talent and potential. F1 is a fickle world. If you aren't the flavor of the month, you may not get a chance and if your image isn't correct or you speak your peace....good bye. CdM getting fired doesn't surprise me. The corporation certainly isn't going to blame itself for not being competitive. What does bother me, is him not getting any inquiries. One chance in an also ran spec is not chance enough.

Fried
12-05-04, 09:57 PM
It's always amazed me how some guys in F1 can hang around, seemingly forever as some guys in NASCAR do, with little to show in the way of results while others are bounced who appear to have talent and potential. F1 is a fickle world. If you aren't the flavor of the month, you may not get a chance and if your image isn't correct or you speak your peace....good bye. CdM getting fired doesn't surprise me. The corporation certainly isn't goint to blame itself for not being competitive. What does bother me, is him not getting any inquiries. One chance in an also ran spec is not chance enough.
there are no politics in f1. it's pure sport. at the highest level. and only the most talented drivers in the world race in f1.

juast ask, railbird, he's been around a long time. he'll confirm this.

racer2c
12-05-04, 10:01 PM
I heard Toyota F1 hates puppies, and jeebus, and therefore hated DaMatta
:rofl:

Dr. Corkski
12-05-04, 10:15 PM
yep. and so would everyone up to position 17 on the grid. I'd only exclude the 2 minardi drivers and klien, and even then it'd be fairly close. not much to it when the car's 1-2 secs quicker than the rest of the field.That's assuming that every one of those 15 non-Ferrari drivers are capable of having the identical input into the Ferrari's design as their current team.

pinniped
12-05-04, 10:32 PM
That's assuming that every one of those 15 non-Ferrari drivers are capable of having the identical input into the Ferrari's design as their current team.

I doubt that Schumacher is really giving them THAT much input. He might be good at technical input but so are other drivers. He certainly isn't designing the car. The fact that they listen to him has a lot to do with their approach and desire to win which is evidenced by the huge amount they spend.

But that isn't the subject, drivers is. And I think that like the 1993 Williams, you could just about get Bonzo the chimp to the championship in one of those things. (no offense to rubens)

Ziggy
12-05-04, 11:04 PM
ah, the crutch of the Internet is summed up in this statement

"I doubt that Schumacher is really giving them THAT much input".

Where else can guys with no lives argue the topic of how much "input" a SEVEN TIME WORLD DRIVING CHAMPION, SEVEN TIME I REPEAT, is given to a bunch of technicians.

I would even go so far as saying Schumacher does not know a spring from a dampner. Would not be able to tell how fast a car turns in with reguards to wheel spacers or offset.

pinniped, you have made some good contributions to this board over the past year or so, but with this statement I must say

Your underware are showing!

Ziggy

Ankf00
12-05-04, 11:34 PM
there are no politics in f1. it's pure sport. at the highest level. and only the most talented drivers in the world race in f1.

juast ask, railbird, he's been around a long time. he'll confirm this.

dude, there's politics in bloody little league, wtf are you smoking?

Railbird
12-06-04, 06:11 AM
there are no politics in f1

wow

chop456
12-06-04, 07:25 AM
1) In FB's defense, I think he was being facetious.

2) Crushed was a poor choice of words on my part. Look at the relative finishes when both cars did, the overall dropouts, etc. and get back to me.

3) If a "mouth breather" is what you are for thinking daMatta was an abject failure in F1, well sign me up for a case of nose clips. It seems I'm in pretty good company with some people who know a thing or two about F1.

4) It's entirely possible that Cristiano will be the third best driver employed by Newman-Haas next year. :laugh:

jonovision_man
12-06-04, 09:01 AM
Da Matta sure did prove himself in Champ Car. Oh that's right, he won because of the weight advantage. :rolleyes:

Didn't hurt.

He's not the first and won't be the last to impress in a Champ Car and fail in F1. It's a different world, higher expectations, car development.

jono

Dirty Sanchez
12-06-04, 10:56 AM
yep. and so would everyone up to position 17 on the grid. I'd only exclude the 2 minardi drivers and klien, and even then it'd be fairly close. not much to it when the car's 1-2 secs quicker than the rest of the field.Then why did you predict Montoya would win it all last year?

Gotcha :laugh:

Hard Driver
12-06-04, 02:53 PM
Reality. There can only be one pinnicle. F1 is and has been. So Champcars is certainly not F1 in status and it would be a long climb for Champcars or a long fall for F1 for the situation to change.

Yea, the gap between them has increased, not decreased since the devil stabbed CART in the back. But bemoaning the situation is not the current issue. Just making CART the best it can be is enough.

Spicoli
12-06-04, 05:00 PM
there are no politics in f1.

crackhead! ;)

how you been anyway dooder?
:p

pinniped
12-07-04, 01:46 PM
ah, the crutch of the Internet is summed up in this statement

"I doubt that Schumacher is really giving them THAT much input".

Your underware are showing!

Ziggy

That makes me very nervous because of two reasons: (1) I'm not wearing any, and (2) why are you looking at my butt?

However, I just don't buy into the mythical Schumacher-is-God stuff out there. Maybe Senna raised the bar too high for that to happen with me. I know all the media is looking for a good story and they like to write that he organized the team and all - fine - that I believe: He certainly helped them put together the skilled personnel from his Benneton days which has contributed to their success...maybe another driver couldn't do THAT but that is a different issue...

I didn't address input into set up, but input into design. That was what was being discussed. :rolleyes:

P.S. I'm gonna send Alice to yer house with a pair o plastic attachments if there are any more of these outbursts.

Fried
12-07-04, 01:54 PM
Then why did you predict Montoya would win it all last year?

Gotcha :laugh:a clear case of desperation trumping logic. kinda like sleeping with a fat chick (not that i would know) :D

Ankf00
12-07-04, 01:55 PM
However, I just don't buy into the mythical Schumacher-is-God stuff out there.

you shouldn't, because according to AWOL corkie (3 days and counting), schumacher's not god, he's the father :laugh:

but seriously, the man's almost perfect, it's ridiculous, no one else is getting that done, at that level, and with that consistency

Fried
12-07-04, 01:56 PM
crackhead! ;)

how you been anyway dooder?
:p :D

Dirty Sanchez
12-07-04, 01:57 PM
fair enough... I'll keep that in mind for when you make your da Matta prediction for next year :gomer:

regarding F1 politics... I should remind you that Jarno Trulli was also a victim of team politics... and he still landed a job in F1. ;)

pinniped
12-07-04, 02:14 PM
you shouldn't, because according to AWOL corkie (3 days and counting), schumacher's not god, he's the father :laugh:

but seriously, the man's almost perfect, it's ridiculous, no one else is getting that done, at that level, and with that consistency

Ayrton Senna was God. Schumacher is the devil.

pinniped
12-07-04, 04:44 PM
Where else can guys with no lives argue the topic of ...

You mean like guys that have over 1,000 posts at an obscure champ car forum? :p

Ziggy
12-07-04, 04:49 PM
Im small change seeing how I was here from day one

but thats not the point.

Second guessing how much a SEVEN TIME WORLD DRIVING CHAMPION knows about the inner working of his car and team is a bit over the top

dont you think?

pinniped
12-07-04, 04:56 PM
Second guessing how much a SEVEN TIME WORLD DRIVING CHAMPION knows about the inner working of his car and team is a bit over the top

dont you think?

Into design of the car? Uh, No, I don't think that drivers have that much input into design. Maybe Schumi in addition to being God is a closet aerodynamicist?

Turn7
12-07-04, 04:59 PM

Ziggy
12-07-04, 05:02 PM
You dont change anything without imput, It aint all done on the PC (no matter what you read)

whatever

Im was not a fan of Senna's, nor Michael. Pictures in my home are of Jim Clark and Dan Gurney

pinniped
12-07-04, 05:08 PM
You dont change anything without imput, It aint all done on the PC (no matter what you read)

whatever

Im was not a fan of Senna's, nor Michael. Pictures in my home are of Jim Clark and Dan Gurney

No, it isn't all done on the p.c. Some of it is done in the wind tunnel. Some of it is done in the lab. Some of it is done on the track when the parts desinged on the pc break or don't work as expected.

This is sort of a non-argument. I posted that I don't believe shumacher has a great deal of input into design. You argued that he has input into set up. We aren't really disagreeing there...

Clark and Gurney were great drivers...two of the best...Senna, Schumacher and Clark are certainly all exceptional and I don't know that it is possible to rank them...but I still am a bigger fan of senna than the present germanic automaton...

Cheers

Steve99
12-08-04, 05:30 PM
If Bernie keeps butting heads with the GPWC that should help solve the problem.

losedagrooves
12-09-04, 03:40 PM
You are correct. Mansell shocked the racing community when he announced his retirement from F1 and his jump to CART in the same press conference.

i've always had trouble pimping mansell's tour in cart. I truly believe the only reason he came here after his winning his f1 championship was to show how insulted he was. There was no way he was going to share anything with Prost at williams in 93. So the lion in all his "I'll show you " bravado comes with pomp and circumstance to NH. Sure he does well winning easily driving the best chassis on a great team. Prost, coincidently wins another champ for williams. And all are happy. But, then comes the 94 season (saddly one that can't be forgotten). And the drama unfolds. Seems over at williams another world champ is on his way out, doesn't want to share the spotlight with the new guy, Senna. So Prost's bomb is that he's retiring as well. Meanwhile across the pond the 3 at Penske are a rolling machine. NH's Lola ain't cuttin it and old Nige is pissed. Fate...senna is killed. . .and Nige is back in at williams.
hmmm. I think he did win Australia.

losedagrooves
12-09-04, 03:43 PM
Ahhh, da Matta... :p

Just proving the rule that the only drivers who trash F1 are those that (1) have no shot or (2) blew their shot.

jono

See above.

Ziggy
12-09-04, 05:12 PM
He did win Oz.

It was a giant shot in the arm for CART, Huge.

It sent BE's lawyers scrambling to look at contracts, and set the evil axis in motion for the power play we have endured the past ten years.

El Leon was a money making machine. I saw more Brits at CART races than ever (and not in the paddock) :rofl:

pinniped
12-09-04, 05:55 PM
Nigel was great, those were the good years...I think 1994 CART was some of the most competitive racing ever...one thing about Nigel though: He was the absolute whiniest bastige ever, perhaps with the exception of Bruno ( ;) ) but for his day, he was definitely el numero uno whinero...I remember him complaining after the 1994 season about all of the attention focused on Andretti's retirement...gee ya think he might've been jealous?