PDA

View Full Version : Helio

Sean O'Gorman
11-30-04, 06:36 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/14152/

Helio also revealed today that he declined an invitation to be “The Bachelor” in ABC’s popular TV program.

I'm too tired to make a tasteless joke about this, someone help me out.

racer2c
11-30-04, 06:40 PM
I don't have a joke, but the TV show would have made him more famous than driving IndyCars. But I don't think the boys of Brazil have heard of The Bachelor. ;)

Racewriter
11-30-04, 06:55 PM
Wrong team.

DaveL
11-30-04, 08:38 PM
If Katy was on the "Bachelorette" I'd be interested.

As for Helio, no big loss for ABC. They can easily find another race driver with far more name recognition that him.

Like Carl Long or someone...

Dr. Corkski
11-30-04, 09:58 PM
"She kissed me under yellow!"

Jag_Warrior
11-30-04, 11:05 PM
Wrong team.

That's what I was thinking too. I think Bravo has a show that he might feel comfortable on.

Dave99
12-01-04, 11:53 AM
Queer Eye For The Fence Guy?

Andrew Longman
12-01-04, 12:42 PM
Its not like 3rd string Giant QB Jessie Palmer did great things for the show, and vice versa. And not like I care

At least Helio has won something.

FWIW, a coworkers niece was engaged to him a few years back, but he called it off. At least that's what she said... :)

TedN
12-01-04, 01:35 PM
Helio has also ruled out any future in F1. Story link. (http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=40992&s=5)

Castroneves rules out F1
Indy Racing League star claims grand prix dream is over
Autosport.com

Two-times Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves has finally admitted this his dreams of ever making the switch to Formula 1 are over – primarily because he enjoys his racing too much in the United States.

The Brazilian, who tested a Toyota F1 car in 2002 and has been linked several times with a possible switch to grand prix racing, now concedes that he will almost certainly see out his F1 career in America.

“I reckon Formula 1 matters way more here, and also in Europe,” said Castroneves in a television interview in Brazil on Tuesday. “But I've conquered a lot in America, especially with my two Indianapolis 500 wins, which are like the [football] World Cup in the States

“I tested Toyota's F1 car in 2002, and I had a ball. At the end of the day, I just can't leave everything I achieved in the US behind just to chase a childhood dream. The Lord works in mysterious ways, I guess.”

Castroneves' comments will come as unwelcome news to IRL rival Scott Dixon, who is targeting a switch to F1 in the future. He tested for Williams earlier this year but the team decided not to chase him further for a race or test deal.

Toyota F1 test driver Ryan Briscoe is also looking increasingly likely to make the switch to the IRL, having failed to land a full-time race seat in F1 for 2005.

Ted

Winston Wolfe
12-01-04, 01:49 PM
Delusional..... :rolleyes:

His two Indy 500 wins are the equivalent of the World Cup in the US ?
Yeah, RIGHT..... Maybe back in the early 80's, or 70's, when it truly was a "world stage" for all drivers from all over the world who would compete.

Gay-lio.... "I tell you man, this wins at the Eeen-de-yun-app-uh-leese fi-hunnert is sure going to get me some chicks, I tell you"... oh yeah, and telling all of the chicks in Brazil and South Beach Miami that your F1 dreams are effectively over should get you alot of sympathy tears with some of your "male" fans, "I tell you dat for sure..."

Dood just LOVES to hear himself talk.... :laugh:

oh, and btw Helio, what happens when Toyota $$$ and the Marlboro Team $$$ goes bye-bye.... whatcha gonna do then ? :shakehead

B3RACER1a
12-01-04, 03:06 PM
I think you all are forgetting what he did in CART when he was here.

RaceGrrl
12-01-04, 04:22 PM

No we're not. Helio acts like an ass now, so I've lost respect for him. I can have respect for a person's accomplishments without respecting the person. Case in point: Whiney Andretti.

Racewriter
12-01-04, 04:48 PM
Delusional..... :rolleyes:

His two Indy 500 wins are the equivalent of the World Cup in the US ?
Yeah, RIGHT..... Maybe back in the early 80's, or 70's, when it truly was a "world stage" for all drivers from all over the world who would compete.

No, he's absolutely right. Nobody watches the World Cup in the US, and fewer and fewer people watch the Indyana-apolis Yacht Club Racin' Five Hunnert each year.

nrc
12-01-04, 06:04 PM
Helio has also ruled out any future in F1. Story link. (http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=40992&s=5)
Ted

I seem to recall him singing a different tune when he found out that his F1 test was just a dog and pony show.

Steve99
12-01-04, 06:55 PM
FWIW, a coworkers niece was engaged to him a few years back, but he called it off. At least that's what she said... :)

I'm confused. Which "him" are you referring to here, Helio or Jesse Palmer?

Andrew Longman
12-01-04, 07:26 PM
I'm confused. Which "him" are you referring to here, Helio or Jesse Palmer?

Helio

Funny thing is my coworker had no idea who he was (he'd just won the 500 though) but thought I would be interested to hear that she had been introduced to her niece's race car driving fiance.

sundaydriver2
12-01-04, 07:47 PM
Shelio like being on the Pole. :gomer:

mapguy
12-01-04, 07:54 PM
Shelio like being on the Pole. :gomer:

Helio loves having the pole...

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/irl/2004/ric/irl-2004-ric-tm-0201.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
12-01-04, 07:58 PM

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/photos/build_photo-test.php?photo_id=11580&size=med

The fact that you found that so quickly is rather disturbing, mapguy. :eek:

mapguy
12-01-04, 08:03 PM
The fact that you found that so quickly is rather disturbing, mapguy. :eek:

As quickly as Ank found his Target stuff?

:D

Sean O'Gorman
12-01-04, 08:07 PM

After awhile, I've started to replace the term "disturbing" with "expected", when it comes to Ank. :D

Ankf00
12-01-04, 08:22 PM

nevermind the dimwitted, he only wishes he was as sharp as us :gomer: he even recycles his line

pchall
12-01-04, 08:22 PM

LOL

It's not like he is a two time CART champion or anything...

Winston Wolfe
12-02-04, 12:58 AM
LOL

It's not like he is a two time CART champion or anything...

No, but he is a two-faced, Pimpski lovin' Yen Ho'... just like the rest of 'em.

I just loved it when the TF-istas mocked him for the fence climbing deal, but when he went to the darkside with Cap'n Liverspots, they all started saying how cute it was..... Talk about two faced.... sheesh ! :rolleyes:

DjDrOmusic
12-02-04, 09:10 AM
..... oh, and btw Helio, what happens when Toyota $$$ and the Marlboro Team $$$ goes bye-bye.... whatcha gonna do then ? :shakehead

He can always do commercials for Yoda! I imagine he could give a whole new meaning to the ad line.."Oh What A Feeling!" :D

Racewriter
12-02-04, 11:44 AM

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/irl/2004/ric/irl-2004-ric-tm-0201.jpg

Uhhhh....

Is his left hand moving, or is it just an optical illusion? :eek:

Winston Wolfe
12-02-04, 12:04 PM
Uhhhh....

Is his left hand moving, or is it just an optical illusion? :eek:

wait a minute..... is that.... no, it couldnt be.... is that Depender from TF just behind Gaylio on the left, wearing that fashionable Hawaiian wanna be shirt, just dreaming of the day that he could share the pole with his favorite driver?

Which reminds me of a racing related sports trivia question:

"Who has been on the pole more often: Helio or Liberace ?"

(btw: this question can also be used for a host of other sports, such as football - "who is a better wide receiver : Jerry Rice or Liberace?"
hockey - "who is a better stick handler : Wayne Gretzky or Liberace?"

obviously the possibilities are many, and it is a great way to break up the monotony of a couple of sports nuts who are trying to "out-trivia" each other) :rofl:

mapguy
12-02-04, 06:09 PM
wait a minute..... is that.... no, it couldnt be.... is that Depender from TF just behind Gaylio on the left, wearing that fashionable Hawaiian wanna be shirt, just dreaming of the day that he could share the pole with his favorite driver?

That's not Defender the cable guy. That's Knock-Off.