PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Butch

DjDrOmusic
11-30-04, 10:20 AM
Butch Davis is gone, news conference at 2pm...I'm really tired of waiting for "next year"....I hope Randy Lerner can put the right people in place to put the teeth back in the Dawgs!!

Ankf00
11-30-04, 10:43 AM
Butch thinks he's replacing Mack Brown :rolleyes:

Sean O'Gorman
11-30-04, 11:12 AM
Good, now I can laugh when he goes to some other NFL team someday and becomes the next Belicheck. :D

rabbit
11-30-04, 11:25 AM
Statement from former Browns coach Butch Davis

Butch Davis, who resigned Tuesday as coach of the Cleveland Browns, released this statement:

"As you know there has been enormous speculation in recent weeks regarding my current and future status as the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. This intense pressure and scrutiny has caused considerable turmoil and distractions with the team, coaching staff, and organization that had an adverse effect on the team.

"The criticism and frustration with lack of success on Sundays has made it necessary for the Cleveland Browns ownership, management, and myself to move in different directions. Instead of the focus each week being specifically on my job, this will allow the team to focus on the games and the management to focus and create a new beginning in personnel as well as coaching.

"I accept responsibility for the mistakes that we have made, but it was my and my staff's intention to do everything we could to lay the foundation and build a team that could win a Super Bowl. I hope that some of my decisions we have made will be a part of a brighter future for the Browns organization.

"My future is clear for the moment. I intend to spend significant time with my wife and son. They have made the ultimate sacrifices as a family with my commitments as a head coach. This will give me an opportunity to reconnect with my family.

"I have no immediate plans to stay in coaching. I love football. I love the relationship with the players and coaches. I want to personally thank the Lerner Family for this opportunity and wish them the best in the future. I want to publicly thank the players for all their hard work and sacrifices, to thank a terrific coaching staff that worked tirelessly to be good teachers and coaches and to help bring a winner to this city.

"Thanks also to our tremendous football support staff for all their hard work and dedication. I'd like to thank the fans. It was always my and our coaching staff's intention to build a first-class organization and a team that everyone who cares about the Cleveland Browns would love and respect."

Ziggy
11-30-04, 12:35 PM
Kansas City, Kansas City here I come

Well there's a crummy little football team there, and I think I can get er done

spinner26
11-30-04, 02:03 PM
IF! IF he goes back into coaching it'll be back to NCAA. I think he's had his fill of the Not For Long, when you make decisions like he has. He'll be someones savior in the college ranks again.

Timmy Couch needs a golf partner, maybe they can mend their differences and discuss their futures. :rofl:

Don Quixote
11-30-04, 03:53 PM
Is Sam "pops" Rutigliano waiting in the wings? :gomer:

Classic Apex
11-30-04, 05:14 PM
And now Notre Dame announces the firing of Tyrone Willingham.

Coincidence?

Ankf00
11-30-04, 05:15 PM
And now Notre Dame announces the firing of Tyrone Willingham.

Coincidence?

most likely not.

that's probably urban meyer's job, former assistant and one of the 3 places his Utah contract specifically has an out for.

Ty's firing looks to be calculated b/c I don't believe any ND coach has been fired so quickly, and ND wouldn' want a situation after the conclusion of the next season, with urban at florida, where they settle for a new coach like they did when they had to "settle" for Ty.

I'd say Butch is in at Florida, Foley seems dumb enough to hire him, plus he can recruit down there, I'd guess it's Ty and Tedford up for grabs at U Dub if Cal doesn't start their renovations giving Tedford an out in his contract

I was right, this IS the first time a coach hasn't been allowed to finish his contract at ND, ND is definitely aiming for urban

Sean O'Gorman
11-30-04, 06:20 PM
Speaking of Cleveland sports, does anyone else think that new guy on Channel 19 reminds them of Cork?

http://www.ksee24.com/news-team2/images/Anchor-minn.jpg

"I can see them being very annoyed one minute - and bursting out in laughter the next," Minn says.

Ankf00
11-30-04, 06:47 PM
cor, i mean, william hung, invented teleportation eh?

dando
11-30-04, 08:14 PM
As a Bungles fan, I'm damn glad to see him go. :cry: :cry: :cry:

:D

-Kevin

Tim
11-30-04, 11:38 PM
The players suck so lets fire the coach.

rosawendel
12-01-04, 09:27 AM
Is Sam "pops" Rutigliano waiting in the wings? :gomer:

i'm sure someone out there is playing the 12 days of browns football song: "on the first day of christmas, my true love gave to me, a rutigliano super bowl team...."

Don Quixote
12-01-04, 10:26 AM
i'm sure someone out there is playing the 12 days of browns football song: "on the first day of christmas, my true love gave to me, a rutigliano super bowl team...."
LOL, after my dad died several years ago I found that 45 record when I was going through his stuff. What a classic. Then came red right 88 and another dream was shattered. :laugh:

dando
12-01-04, 08:26 PM
The players suck so lets fire the coach.
Yeah, but Davis was responsible for drafting/signing many of the bad players, as well as other poor decisions on keeping players, making bad deals, etc. It was definitely time for him to go.

-Kevin