PDA

View Full Version : PaddockTalk.com - Credible Enough for Google News?

L1P1
11-28-04, 05:56 PM
I don't know much about who's behind it, but I've noticed that paddocktalk managed to get itself in Google News search results. I don't think sites like SpeedTV.com have earned this distinction.

RaceChic
11-28-04, 07:11 PM
I think PaddockTalk is credible. There are good people behind it.

As for the Google part, they have Google ads on their webpages.

Cam
11-28-04, 07:15 PM
Bullhockey! :flame:

He is no more credible than MarkC..... :rolleyes:

RaceChic
11-28-04, 07:16 PM
^^^^^^^

Bwaaaa haaaa haaaa. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RaceChic
11-28-04, 07:19 PM
And did somebody say "Hockey" ??!?? :cry: :cry: :cry:

trish
11-28-04, 07:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken you pay for that.

Cam
11-28-04, 07:22 PM

Yep..... You are right....

Nevermind..... It's not worth it.....

RaceChic
11-28-04, 07:36 PM

Google ads?

Or to appear in the results of Google searches?

The ads actually add $$$$ in the site's pockets when visitors click on them at the respective sites.

L1P1
11-28-04, 07:53 PM
It looks like they have paid Google (racing link) ads on their site as well as many more Amazon links. I think the Google ads probably generate a few cents per click-through (direct from Google it's 5 cents) but the Amazon ads only pay off if the clicker buys something (from some previous research I did).

But I sincerely doubt that either account for their News placement. I could be wrong though.

trish
11-29-04, 07:38 AM
Google ads?

Or to appear in the results of Google searches?

The ads actually add $$$$ in the site's pockets when visitors click on them at the respective sites.
You pay for your position in search results.

RaceChic
11-29-04, 07:30 PM
Didn't know that, trish. Thanks. :D

L1P1
11-29-04, 08:12 PM
You pay for your position in search results.

I don't think that is correct. Google has earned its reputation by supplying relevant search results based on Google-Rank (its algorithm which uses the number of sites that link to the page). Its brilliance is that it clearly delineates paid results in an unobtrusive manner.

For example, go to Google and type in 'Purse'. You'll see two sets of ads. In my case, I can see that two sites (coach.com and ebags.com) paid a premium for listings above the top of the search results. A number of others took the cheaper way out and their ads are on the right. They pay 5 cents for each click-through (nothing for just displaying it). The search results themselves have nothing to do with payments. That's why Google works.

Goto.com (and others) tried to do paid placement and failed. It was because they were showing you what they wanted to show you - and not what you wanted to see. And they thought that was cool. But we didn't. And so, now if you go to goto.com, you'll be redirected to goto.myway.com.