PDA

View Full Version : Driving without seatbelts.

JohnHKart
11-25-04, 07:56 AM
Just really cannot believe it when I read stuff like this. Buckle up.

John

Whittier Daily News 11/25/04
Crash victim was on way to hospital

By Jason Kosareff, Staff Writer

ROWLAND HEIGHTS -- Thomas John Hartley had it all going for him.
The 21-year-old was on the way to a career in hospital administration, about to get married and had finished work on his masterpiece -- a customized Honda Civic.

And Hartley was especially connected to his father, Harry.

"They had an excellent relationship," said Hartley's mother, Anna.

When Harry's heart problems landed him in a Whittier hospital Monday night, his son rushed to see him.

But along the way, the younger Hartley lost control of his second vehicle, a Ford Expedition, trying to pass another car on the southbound Orange (57) Freeway at Temple Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Hartley drove along the freeway shoulder trying to pass another car, CHP officials said.

While trying to merge back into traffic he clipped a Chevrolet Cavalier with his SUV and veered off the freeway, CHP officials said. Hartley was ejected from his Expedition as it rolled several times down an embankment. Hartley succumbed to his injuries on Tuesday.

CHP investigators believe Hartley was not wearing a seat belt, said Officer Joe Zizi.

Hartley's fiancee, Marjory Lugo,23, of Rowland Heights was wearing a seat belt and suffered minor injuries.

A funeral has not yet been arranged. Hartley's father is still recovering and declined an interview.

Anna Hartley said it was unusual for her son to drive without wearing a seat belt.

"He would even put his seat belt on when he moved his car around to wash it," she said.

Hartley was raised in Rowland Heights and graduated from Rowland High School, where he played football. He was studying hospital administration at Fullerton College. He worked at St. Jude's Medical Center in Fullerton, a job that started him on his career path.

Hartley had many interests outside of work.

"One of his biggest passions was working on cars," his mother said Wednesday. "He loved experimenting with different graphic designs. In fact, he was supposed to be doing one for a friend today."

Hartley founded the Fusion Car Club with his friends. They would enter their customized cars in shows, with paint jobs often designed by Hartley.

Anna Hartley, a Rowland Unified School District employee, described her son as a generous and well-liked young man.

"He had a lot of really good friends," she said. "He knew that not everybody had that, and he felt really lucky."

David Bassett, a friend of the Hartley family, said he was dependable and trustworthy.

"Tommy was just a real friendly and warm-hearted guy who was deeply in love with his fiancee," Bassett said. "Those two were inseparable."

spinner26
11-25-04, 12:41 PM
Just really cannot believe it when I read stuff like this. Buckle up.

John

Whittier Daily News 11/25/04
Crash victim was on way to hospital

By Jason Kosareff, Staff Writer

Hartley lost control of his vehicle, a Ford Expedition, trying to pass another car on the southbound Orange (57) Freeway at Temple Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Hartley drove along the freeway shoulder trying to pass another car, CHP officials said.

While trying to merge back into traffic he clipped a Chevrolet Cavalier with his SUV and veered off the freeway, CHP officials said. Hartley was ejected from his Expedition as it rolled several times down an embankment. Hartley succumbed to his injuries on Tuesday.

CHP investigators believe Hartley was not wearing a seat belt, said Officer Joe Zizi.

Chances are no seatbelt needed for driving on highway where said vehicle should have been and NOT on the shoulder?

Anna Hartley said it was unusual for her son to drive without wearing a seat belt.

Sure, always , after the fact.

I know my responses sound rediculous but look at the facts, the kid was driving stupid and putting others at risk and lost his life. Such a pitty at this time of year but I do firmly believe in poetic justice.

I stopped wearing mine at age 17 when I watched my best friend burn to death because we couldn't get his seatbelt off of him after he flipped due to a blowout.

nrc
11-25-04, 11:02 PM
I stopped wearing mine at age 17 when I watched my best friend burn to death because we couldn't get his seatbelt off of him after he flipped due to a blowout.

The odds of you getting killed by an ejection are much greater than in a fire. If you're really worried about it just buy a seatbelt cutter and keep it taped to the side of your seat.

JohnHKart
11-26-04, 07:25 PM
The odds of you getting killed by an ejection are much greater than in a fire. If you're really worried about it just buy a seatbelt cutter and keep it taped to the side of your seat.

Exactly. I read many reports of those killed without seatbelts but none about people burning up because they couldn't unlatch their belts. Among the many dead this year are Adan Sanchez, Mexican singer who wasn't wearing his belt...his car flipped over killing him but not the others who had belts on. And in a reverse situation Princess Diana's bodyguard was the lone seat belt wearer out of the four onboard (three who were killed of course.)

John

JLMannin
11-26-04, 10:19 PM
One summer, the place where I worked had all their safety meetings cover the topic of seatbelt usage. Illinois had recently passed a seatbelt law, and the plant security guards would keep track of seat belt usage by department for awards and such.

One meeting I will never forget was when an Illinois State trooper spoke to us and said "the saftest place to be during a car accident is inside the car". Those are very hard words to argue against.

Spinner26 - I'm with you on the poetic justice part. Callous? Not really, when an idiot passes on a shoulder. I feel more compasion for the fiance that I do the stupid aggressive driver.

rocket
11-28-04, 08:44 AM
I started wearing mine everytime I get in a vehicle back in 2/89. I survived a rollover crash where my friend was driving. A Z28 that flipped 8 times, and came to rest upside down. During the flips I was thrown out, head first thru the glass t-tops that were still on, tore up a rotator cuff, had 40 stitches in the back of my head, and an imprint of the wheel on the side of my face where it split my eye open and took a tooth out. The bruise it left was identical to the outside of the rim and one of the spokes. Sprained knee, twisted ankle, and a ripped thigh muscle topped it off. The car stopped and it had my leg pinned underneath it. Another 2 feet and I would've been toast. My best friend walked away without a scratch, and neither of us was wearing our belts. He saw it coming, I was messing with the stereo. I was told by the trooper that this was the one in a million shot where I was better off with no belt on. Due to my height I had about 1/2" of headroom in that car, and the roof wound up almost totally collapsing, had I been inside in an upright position it would have been much worse. I realize though it was my one in a million shot and the belt is on now.

It sucks to see that happen, but when you act like an idiot behind the wheel, and the worst case scenario happens, it's good to hear no innocent people were affected.

Well....I guess his family is affected and they are innocent....but you know what I mean.

TravelGal
11-28-04, 02:48 PM
....this was the one in a million shot where I was better off with no belt on. >snip< I realize though it was my one in a million shot and the belt is on now.

Mine is on now for the same reason. When I was 17, a woman hit me straight on in the driver's door. I was in a '64 Plymouth Valiant with the bench seat. She hit me so hard the bench seat bent into a V and steering wheel bent toward the passenger side. By the time it was over, my passenger and I were squashed together on her side of the car. If I'd had on a belt, I think I would have been a cripple. But I, too, knew that was the one in a million and have always worn seat belts since then.

When they came out with the shoulder belt, I used to put it under my arm because I'm short enough that it hits my neck the wrong way sometimes. Then I saw a demonstration of what that can do to your body in a crash. So now I wear it properly. Everyone please do the same. I want you all around to cheer and swear with for many years to come.

L1P1
11-28-04, 06:13 PM
I never wore my seatbelt until I got a car with an automatic shoulder harness. There was a label on it that said "Warning: Failure to use lap belt in conjunction with this device may result in serious injury, including decapitation."

The word 'decapitation' proved most effective in convincing me to religiously fasten my lap belt.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-28-04, 09:32 PM
I never wore my seatbelt until I got a car with an automatic shoulder harness. There was a label on it that said "Warning: Failure to use lap belt in conjunction with this device may result in serious injury, including decapitation."

The word 'decapitation' proved most effective in convincing me to religiously fasten my lap belt. :eek: I often think that car manufacturers should say this on the seatbelt label: Warning: Failure to use this means you probably will die a lingering, horrible death."

nz_climber
11-28-04, 11:51 PM
being a youngin here - ever since i can remember nz has had a seatbelt law - so i have always worn one as that is how i grew up.... (can't comment on how good seatbelts are cause i have been lucky to not have been in a major accident yet)

Ankf00
11-29-04, 12:01 AM
being a youngin here - ever since i can remember nz has had a seatbelt law - so i have always worn one as that is how i grew up.... (can't comment on how good seatbelts are cause i have been lucky to not have been in a major accident yet)

seat belts have kept me from being ejected twice, once into a brick wall and once into the fender of the oncoming SUV

Beevis
11-29-04, 12:13 AM
Sorry to say, but this kid is dead because he's an idiot.

Robstar
11-29-04, 12:18 AM

Same here - I put mine on before I start the car... It feels sort of unnatural not to have it on.

race chica
11-29-04, 01:48 AM
Just a reminder to everyone how important a strip of fabric, some metal, and plastic can be. I know that ever since my Dad's accident i always wear my seat belt and freak out if someone starts driving and i dont have it on.

rocket
11-29-04, 02:59 AM
Wow, I just talked to a coworker and she is going to a funeral over in Ohio. Her cousins only child, a 17 yo son was killed in a car wreck. All his fault too, I guess they were partying at Miami univ. in Ohio??? and decided to drive back up to Columbus where they all live. He was driving...drunk (there were others in his car...not sure how many tho), fell asleep at the wheel and rear ended anther car, which shot them into oncoming traffic. Not sure if they were clipped by anyone at that point, but the car flipped at some point and he was ejected, and spent he last 5 or 7 days in a coma before he died. He was the only one not wearing a seatbelt, everyone else involved survived almost unscathed.

Stupidity kills once again :shakehead