PDA

View Full Version : Sponsors Report

TedN
11-24-04, 01:25 PM
Anyone ever heard of this report (http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/racing,view.spy?artid=32133&pg=1)? Is there one done for Champ Car? If so, are the results made public?

Ted

nrc
11-24-04, 01:57 PM
Anyone ever heard of this report (http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/racing,view.spy?artid=32133&pg=1)? Is there one done for Champ Car? If so, are the results made public?

Ted

One exists. You can buy it from Joyce Julius. I doubt that Champ car will tout it because the lack of network TV will put a bullet in their "sponsorship value" the way Joyce Julius measures it. The IRL won't mention it next year either becaue their switch to more ESPN coverage will almost certainly kill their numbers.

The problem with JJ measurements is that they simply multiply TV exposure time by the ad rate for that program. They don't take into consideration at all how many people are actually watching.

oddlycalm
11-24-04, 06:18 PM
The problem with JJ measurements is that they simply multiply TV exposure time by the ad rate for that program. They don't take into consideration at all how many people are actually watching. Agreed, the JJ measurements are one dimensional. You could have attendence of 5 million people for the season but if the TV wasn't there it would still add up to a big goose egg. With so many manufactured-for-TV sports out there, nobody seems to be concerned any more about how many people buy tickets and show up. That's a short sighted and amateur hour approach, because it does matter, and in a big way.

oc

FCYTravis
11-24-04, 07:34 PM
I've seen some of the EARL's JJ reports - they're around if you know where to look...

They're fluff pieces giving the EARL wayyyy wayyyy wayyyy too much credit - especially given the absolutely atrocious ratings they're getting.

RacinM3
11-24-04, 08:58 PM
The problem with JJ measurements is that they simply multiply TV exposure time by the ad rate for that program. They don't take into consideration at all how many people are actually watching.

But wait, isn't the number of people watching already figured in to what the ad rate actually is? I mean, they're not charging super bowl rates for a champ car race.

nrc
11-24-04, 09:25 PM
But wait, isn't the number of people watching already figured in to what the ad rate actually is? I mean, they're not charging super bowl rates for a champ car race.

That depends on whether advertisers are really paying market value. In the case of the IRL the manufacturers have been arm twisted into buying a certain amount of TV advertising per season as a condition of their participation in the league. That would enable the network to keep the ad rate higher than if they were selling their inventory strictly on supply and demand.