PDA

View Full Version : What are Montoya's chances?

WickerBill
02-21-03, 09:50 AM
I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on what chance JPM has against the dominant Ferrari team (both drivers), his own teammate, and the McLaren team this season. It certainly seems to me that his only opportunity is going to be "best of the rest", and he'll have a strong fight for that with DC, Kimi, and Ralf.

Does anyone think a WDC is in the cards for this guy... this year, or ever? He seems to be in F1 at the wrong point in history.

mapguy
02-21-03, 10:10 AM
I really don't think he can win the title this year. From what I have been reading the new Williams is a bit of a dissapointment. That said, he'll probably get plenty of poles and maybe a win or two.

Classic Apex
02-21-03, 10:29 AM
What mapguy said.

The FW25 unfortunately is not the revolutionary design that Williams was hoping it would be. Sure it has smashed some records from last year, but then again so ha everyone else so far in testing.

I see Juan as the pole meister again this year. A win, maybe two if he is lucky or the chin stumbles.

Warlock!
02-21-03, 10:34 AM
Look how quickly Williams fell from grace after 97... it can turn around pretty quickly. Mike's keeping Ferrari on top of their game. I'm guessing once he's gone, unless they find someone else with that kinda leadership (which I don't see in F1 right now), they will fall to pieces, leaving the williams at the top. If Juan's still in the seat at that time, he's got a WDC in his pocket.

Winter Warlock!

mnkywrch
02-21-03, 11:09 AM
What mapguy said.

He should dominate Ralf, for sure...

OTOH, the new Michelin tires (that they can design for each car) might suit the McLaren and Williams better. That seemed to be one weak spot for both teams.

It could be worse for him, he could be Fisi; talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time... that's his entire career!

Hink
02-21-03, 11:51 AM
No chance this year, even if the German breaks a leg.

Once the car looks consistently strong over a race distance of couse he'd be a threat.

Ziggy
02-21-03, 07:11 PM
I think it all depends on the tires. From what I read this morning about Frank and Ron calling the new rules into question, there might be another championship in 2004..........

Juan is the real deal. Last year it was tires. I also think BMW is committed to winning in this arena. As long as they keep spending money, its bound to get better. Williams is no shrinking violet. From big gambles on engines too hiring of talent it takes to get the job done, I would not bet on them being fume suckers for too much longer.

I think its time to put Patrick Head out to pasture. Wonder if Falcon needs any help with new manufacturing techniques?

Ziggy

RacinM3
02-21-03, 10:12 PM
Not this year, but Schumi's only going to do this for so much longer. I think at that point Montoya's going to be the man most sought after by all the teams.

I think he could easily be a WDC. But can you see him going to Ferrari after Schumacher, only to have the team self-destruct and have Williams end up on top? Or McLaren? Stranger things have happened. The way I see it, he'll be with Williams or Ferrari. McLaren seems to be hinging their future (smartly) on Kimmi.

tomahawk
02-22-03, 08:58 PM
I agree with what many have said above - he should dominate the whinny half-Chin, but probably won't have the car to run with the full-Chin. If pre-season means anything (and it usually doesn't), Williams may be stretched to stay with McLaren.

:tomahawk

rabbit
02-22-03, 09:15 PM
Montoya will do fine. He's focused on the job at hand, not pissing and moaning all over the press about the car unlike a certain teammate of his who will remain nameless.;)

02-22-03, 11:06 PM
I'll be a little bit more optimistic for 2003: I think the FW25 is going to be a very good car. Yes, initially it was a dog but they had some very decent tests last week when all of the components were on the car.

I look for Ralf & JPM to be close again, although I give the clear edge to Juan. I don't really care for Ralf, but I have to admit he is a very good driver. If his last name wasn't Schumacher then many would praise him as a future WDC, IMHO.

JPM's chances of winning the WDC in 2003 remains to be seen, but I would say that he has a better chance of winning races than he had last year.

nrc
02-24-03, 12:11 AM
Poor.