PDA

View Full Version : Pistons v. Pacers

Pages : 1 [2]

dando
11-21-04, 07:22 PM
(but Jackson and Wallace should have got more)

Agreed. IMHO, Wallace deserves more...perhaps 10 games for his response to the hard foul by Artest.

Jackson should be gone for @ least half the season. He went into the stands after Artest, and got involved again with the fan Artest punched while leaving the floor. Not sure how the NBA determined that ~half of the Artest punishment was sufficient in this case. :confused:

-Kevin

rabbit
11-21-04, 07:27 PM
Agreed. IMHO, Wallace deserves more...perhaps 10 games for his response to the hard foul by Artest.

-Kevin
Yup. The foul was stupid. But if Wallace turns the other cheek, this whole thing never happens.

Railbird
11-21-04, 07:33 PM
Damn Ed. don't throw out a hip over all this.

The NBA's problem is how they dole out justice?

How about the fact that their product is nearly unwatchable?

Basketball?

I don't see any real basketball being played. Just a bunch of globetrotter/alleyball BS being thrown down with a side dish of hiphop.

Ankf00
11-21-04, 07:35 PM
Basketball?

I don't see any real basketball being played. Just a bunch of globetrotter/alleyball BS being thrown down with a side dish of hiphop.
werd.

dando
11-21-04, 07:39 PM
Geez Kevin, where have you been?

Try to keep up.

;)
Hey, mine woulda been posted first, but my one-year old decided it was a good time to play w/daddy's laptop. I think she was trying to type Artest is an idiot, but I couldn't quite make it out.... ;)

Nice how the NBA got that out for the 6pm ET news, eh?

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
11-21-04, 07:41 PM

Basketball?

Agreed on that point. The playoffs are the only compelling part of the league, and they even let too many teams in to make it interesting.

How do they dole out justice, on the other hand? How about fairly? You tell the players that if an altercation happens, they cannot go into the stands. Then, an altercation happens, a player does what he's told, gets whacked in the noggin with a flying chair and has some tubby bastard who has no business being on the floor out there ready to take swings at his teammates. He responds, and for that you suspend him for a quarter of the season?

It's absurd, and the message that resonates from the NBA office today is that if you want to ruin somebody's season, get liquored up at an NBA game and start a riot -- it's FAN-tastic! :shakehead

Way to go, David Stern. Once again, sportsmanship takes a backseat to the WWE mentality that the NBA seems to embrace these days.

Ed_Severson
11-21-04, 07:42 PM
Edit: Doh! Double post (my first ever, I think -- yippee!)

Spicoli
11-21-04, 07:43 PM
WHAT BULLSCHIT. :shakehead

Artest should be after heads on this one. Dial up the lawyers, its gonna get busy next couple O weeks.

dando
11-21-04, 07:46 PM
Holy cr@p, this thread dragged Spic out of the woodwork?!? :gomer:

Spic, you forgot to engage the cloaking device. ;)

-Kevin

DaveL
11-21-04, 07:53 PM

Basketball?

C'mon Railbird. You don't like seeing the point guard walk the ball up the court, passing to the one guy who can score, seeing him go one on one isolation while the other 4 guys stand around and watch, and force up a bad shot because the 24 second clock is winding down?

I like seeing the guy standing there celebrating his dunk while the opposing team is working a 5 on 4 fast break...the missing guy being the one who is still celebrating his dunk rather than getting back on defense.

And what is more fun than seeing someone score 30 pts on 12 of 32 shooting from the floor, and 6 of 10 from the line?

NBA action. Gotta love it.

fourrunner
11-21-04, 08:05 PM
GO EAGLES !!! ;)

Coldfart
11-21-04, 08:06 PM
Artest should be after heads on this one.

thats what got him into trouble in the first place :rofl:

rabbit
11-21-04, 08:11 PM
From the way-back machine...

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3915&highlight=essay

The photo links are dead now. But they did show a series of hard fouls that all occurred in a three-day span.

The NBA does indeed suck.

Cam
11-21-04, 08:21 PM
Spicoli..... I am with you...

dando
11-21-04, 08:31 PM
Was this the right way to handle this? You be the judge:

ESPN poll linky (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=1011)

-Kevin

rabbit
11-21-04, 11:00 PM
The moral of the story: Beer is for drinking, not throwing.

Dirty Sanchez
11-21-04, 11:21 PM
In other NBA news tonight... the Pistons win in double OT. :gomer:

Ziggy
11-21-04, 11:53 PM
Just like the Sprewell incident, this will be a blip in the radar screen by this time next year.

There are NO hall of famer's playing in the NBA right now, the game should be played on paved parking lots with chain nets.

I was a long time Pacer season ticket holder. Quit about six seasons ago (when they moved into their new home) Did'nt like the direction the game was going, and have not watched the Pacers much since. (Playoff's included)

You dont have to be a savant to know Artest is a lose cannon. There is no doubt he is a gifted basketball player, and the best the Pacers put on the floor. They should have gassed him in the offseason.

Ziggy

bdogg187
11-22-04, 12:52 AM
In other NBA news tonight... the Pistons win in double OT. :gomer:

Fans of the Bobcats are about ready to shoot themselves! All those suspensions and still we cant beat this team! :(

Oh well, I think we may be better than Atlanta and New Orleans. :D

Michaelhatesfans
11-22-04, 01:46 AM
Absolutely. And unless these sorry excuses for fans learn to start treating people with respect, this sort of thing is bound to happen again.

I have no sympathy for anybody who opened his mouth and got beaten to hell as a result. You reap what you sow.
Maybe you should just watch golf? :laugh:
C'mon! A guy gets ready for a free throw and 30,000 people break out the noise makers and nerf sticks, then heckle him after he chokes... I mean, that's a lot of asses to kick.

chop456
11-22-04, 03:16 AM
CNN.com

What do you think of the decision to ban basketball player Ron Artest for the rest of the season?

It's about right 41% 26227 votes

It's too long 17% 10968 votes

It's not long enough 41% 26078 votes

Total: 63273 votes

Jervis Tetch 1
11-22-04, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=Crapus]A hard foul is not assault... pushes and even (in most cases) punches thrown (there were none, btw) between competitors is also not assault. A thrown plastic cup full of liquid is also not assault.

Artest was assaulted exactly zero times.

Ah wrong Crap. At least according to a friend of mine, who happens to be a criminal defense lawyer in Indianapolis.

According to Indiana civil law, Artest was the victim of an assault, which is and he was reading this to me via phone "putting someone in reasonable fear of getting hit by any object (i.e. fist, weapon, object, etc.) to cause bodily harm or damage." It is a Class B-Misdemeanor. He believes the civil law is the same in Michigan and will do some research on the subject (he's getting tons of calls from other friends on the matter.)

Granted, I'm not sure how much damage a $5 soda or $10 beer will do to your body, but hit chest high near your face could cause some problem.

But your statement is wrong. Try again.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-22-04, 01:49 PM
And now this gem from Ed Severson in Private Message.

"Go **** yourself, eh? The only reason you get involved in discussions like this one is that you're a button pusher -- no better than the drunken slobs in Detroit Friday night."

Ed... dude... I think you should step away from the keyboard for a few hours. If this is all it takes to push your buttons bro, you need to re-evaluate. Now I think its easier to see why you might defend such an outrageous response over something so minor. See ya at 9 ;)Well Crap, you do start alot of it hence your name I guess. Maybe you should step away for a bit.

chop456
11-22-04, 02:00 PM
According to Indiana civil law, Artest was the victim of an assault, which is and he was reading this to me via phone "putting someone in reasonable fear of getting hit by any object (i.e. fist, weapon, object, etc.) to cause bodily harm or damage."

And as we all know, a nearly empty plastic cup will cripple a large athlete under most circumstances. Artest's reaction was revenge, not self-defense, proven by the fact that he didn't even go after the right guy.

It's all over but the fleecing. :laugh:

Jervis Tetch 1
11-22-04, 02:03 PM
NBA justice is a bit shall we say checkered?

SOURCE: Maxim Magazine
If Seattle Supersonic Vernon Maxwell ever asks you to go to the weight room, run away. Fast. Don’t take our word for it, just ask Carl Herrera or Gary Payton. When Maxwell was with the Houston Rockets in 1994, he once swung a free weight at Herrera, who needed 30 stitches to close the **** in his head. Mad Max reprised that scene during practice this season in Seattle, brandishing iron against Gary Payton, who picked up a chair in self-defense. Horace Grant, who rushed in to break up the scuffle, suffered a shoulder injury in the fray. Hey, way to take one for the team!

You might say that impulse control is not Vernon Maxwell’s specialty. In 1995 he was hit with one of the biggest fines in NBA history—$20,000—for going into the stands in Portland and punching out a 35-year-old home-products salesman. That same year he was arrested for allegedly waving a loaded pistol at a motorist who honked at his Porsche. And while Maxwell scored the most points in the history of the University of Florida, don’t look for him in the record books. Due to a series of shifty drug-, money-, and alcohol-related offenses, the NCAA doesn’t recognize a single basket he scored in his last two college seasons. Norm Sloan, the Gators’ coach at the time, is no fan either. Sloan still suspects that Maxwell fixed a game after his star player failed to score a single basket in the second half of a two-point loss to the University of Tennessee. “It’s amazing that no one has killed him or he hasn’t ended up in prison,” says Rich Lord, host of Sports Talk on KILT-AM in Houston. “I’m sure his mother is very proud.” -end

Commissioner Stern waves his iron fist and suspends Maxwell 10 games and fines him $20,000.

Now why would Maxwell get only 10 games? Shouldn't have that merited a full season suspension? To me it's clear that Artest (who's no angel) has had a target on his back for Stern as well as the Pacers. Artest has also never threatened anyone's safety like Maxwell did.

What say you on that matter? Oh, and Artest haters, don't let the facts of Maxwell get in the way either.

And you can't say I'm a homer either. I like the Pacers sure, but I'm a PHOENIX SUNS man myself. :p

Jervis Tetch 1
11-22-04, 02:05 PM
And as we all know, a nearly empty plastic cup will cripple a large athlete under most circumstances. Artest's reaction was revenge, not self-defense, proven by the fact that he didn't even go after the right guy.

It's all over but the fleecing. :laugh:
Laugh if you will, but something tells me Artest won't be wanting for soup in the breadline. :p

chop456
11-22-04, 02:08 PM
Laugh if you will, but something tells me Artest won't be wanting for soup in the breadline. :p

Don't be too sure. :rofl:

"The Bulls despaired, and they also feared for the likable, generous kid who was nearly broke because he never could say no to a family member or friend. He tried to get a part-time job on Sundays to supplement his salary".

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10233831.htm?1c

Dirty Sanchez
11-22-04, 02:17 PM
Try again? :laugh:

ok...

I'm just off the phone with my uncle who is also a criminal defense attorney. I got a somewhat differing legal opinion. Battery constitutes "unlawful touching"... assault is the act of threatening bodily harm. If anything the fan that threw the cup at Artest is guilty of battery.

At this point, there are no arrests.

Certainly no one disagrees, besides maybe Homer Severson, that Artest's response was against the law. Whether the prosecutor decides he wants to go ahead with criminal charges is a different matter. He's got a lot of factors to take into consideration... and he knows he'll be up against the best legal defense that money can buy. Say what you want about Artest's checkered NBA past... I don't believe he has a criminal record. All things considered, I wouldn't be surprised to see criminal charges dropped in exchange for an agreement by Artest to attend anger management or whatever counseling is en vogue these days.

KLang
11-22-04, 02:18 PM
Charles Barkley interviewed on CNN this morning:

BARKLEY: Well if somebody hits you, you have the right to hit them back. That's where me and commissioner Stern disagree with. Any time a fan touches you, you have the right to beat the hell out of them.

Forget, we were -- I'm a man. I'm not going to let anybody disrespect me. I mean I don't believe in that. They can say whatever they want to, but once they come close enough to touch you or throw something on you, you have the right to beat the hell out of them.

HEMMER: Let's try and be clear on what you're trying to say there. He was not touched physically. He was hit with a flying object. It looked like maybe a - maybe a cup of soda filled with ice came over and hit him in the chest.

BARKLEY: So, that's not being touched physically?

HEMMER: I'm just asking to clear it up. There is a big difference.

BARKLEY: Oh yes, so let me clear it up for you..

HEMMER: Go ahead.

BARKLEY: If somebody hits you with an object, you should go and beat the hell out of them.

:saywhat: :shakehead

Dirty Sanchez
11-22-04, 02:23 PM
Well Crap, you do start alot of it hence your name I guess. Maybe you should step away for a bit.I did for 4 hours. :laugh:

Nothing I read yesterday would prompt a "go **** yourself" response from me... using Ed's own standards I'm justified in beating the crap out of him for disprespecting me. :D

Michaelhatesfans
11-22-04, 02:25 PM
Ok, Charles... But somehow, I just don't see Dr. J, Bird, Jordan, or Magic storming into the stands throwing punches at fans... :shakehead

Michaelhatesfans
11-22-04, 02:25 PM
I did for 4 hours. :laugh:

Nothing I read yesterday would prompt a "go **** yourself" response from me... using Ed's own standards I'm justified in beating the crap out of him for disprespecting me. :D
:laugh:

Tim
11-22-04, 02:31 PM
Lets remember that this is pissing off the gomers!

Jervis Tetch 1
11-22-04, 02:37 PM
Try again? :laugh:

ok...

I'm just off the phone with my uncle who is also a criminal defense attorney. I got a somewhat differing legal opinion. Battery constitutes "unlawful touching"... assault is the act of threatening bodily harm. If anything the fan that threw the cup at Artest is guilty of battery.

At this point, there are no arrests.

Certainly no one disagrees, besides maybe Homer Severson, that Artest's response was against the law. Whether the prosecutor decides he wants to go ahead with criminal charges is a different matter. He's got a lot of factors to take into consideration... and he knows he'll be up against the best legal defense that money can buy. Say what you want about Artest's checkered NBA past... I don't believe he has a criminal record. All things considered, I wouldn't be surprised to see criminal charges dropped in exchange for an agreement by Artest to attend anger management or whatever counseling is en vogue these days.Well obviously the lawyers are going to differ--what else is new?

Artest to my knowledge has no criminal record. None at all, but that usually doesn't stop teams in any sport from hiring them to play.

For once (on this matter) I agree with you that criminal charges could be dropped (and hopefully probably will). Tie Domi got off a lawsuit by flying the fan he pummelled to a hockey game. And it's off the subject, but Axel Rose did the same thing to a fan he attacked at a G'NR concert in St. Louis. Signed an autograph and gave him other freebies. These same fans who threw their swill and crap would be the first ones to line up and ask for his autograph at a later game.

Michaelhatesfans
11-22-04, 02:40 PM
These same fans who threw their swill and crap would be the first ones to line up and ask for his autograph at a later game.
I think the only things that Artest will be signing are checks. :cool:

Jervis Tetch 1
11-22-04, 02:40 PM
I did for 4 hours. :laugh:

Well, that's your perogative and I certainly don't speak for Ed or anyone else here, but maybe Ed would agree. I'm willing to buy a ticket and fly anywhere to see this.

Perhaps with the money we raise from this, we could ALL get together and fund our own CC team.

I'm just not going to tell you who my money would be on.

Dirty Sanchez
11-22-04, 02:48 PM

Finally... a gambler in the crowd. :thumbup:

Get in line :gomer: if you want to see me take a beating, bro. Or better yet... save your money and go to a Champ Car race.

Coldfart
11-22-04, 02:51 PM
Now why would Maxwell get only 10 games? Shouldn't have that merited a full season suspension? To me it's clear that Artest (who's no angel) has had a target on his back for Stern as well as the Pacers. Artest has also never threatened anyone's safety like Maxwell did.

What say you on that matter? Oh, and Artest haters, don't let the facts of Maxwell get in the way either.

did Maxwell assault a fan that had nothing to do with the incident that provoked him?

:cool:

Jervis Tetch 1
11-22-04, 03:34 PM

Finally... a gambler in the crowd. :thumbup:

Get in line :gomer: if you want to see me take a beating, bro. Or better yet... save your money and go to a Champ Car race.Crap, I've been to dozens and dozens of races and I'll go to more and more. I don't gamble either (I need what little I get), but if it's worth a Champ Car race, put me down for two tickets!

Hey, I never said you'd get a beating either!

Jervis Tetch 1
11-22-04, 03:38 PM
did Maxwell assault a fan that had nothing to do with the incident that provoked him?

:cool:Point is Maxwell went into the stands to fight period.

Hey, if you hate Ron Artest fine. No worries here. I happen to hate Shaq and if this were Shaq going into the stands, I'd feel the same way about the length of time in suspensions.

The original 30 gamer was appropriate.

Dirty Sanchez
11-22-04, 03:43 PM
Point is Maxwell went into the stands to fight period.The real point is... the Maxwell fine wasn't a sufficient enough penalty to prevent an even more egregious offense (in this case... a player attacking an innocent fan) from taking place. If this severe penalty isn't a sufficient deterrent... I would expect future penalties to be even stiffer.

devilmaster
11-22-04, 05:41 PM
Breaking News from Detroit TV:

The man who threw the cup at Artest to which Artest jumped into the crowd, is believed to be identified, according to the Oakland county prosecutors.

John Green is the man in the white hat, not the man in the black shirt to whom Artest first attacked. According to Oakland County Prosecutor, he has lost his season tickets, and possibly will be charged.

In a joint press conference, Oakland police and the county Prosector have warned that it will take time before all charges are laid. They are working to improve video to see who threw the chair. The chair did strike a police officer, which can possibly be grounds for felony charges to the thrower.

both the police and prosecutor are warning that it will take some time to lay all the charges in this case and are asking for any help that may identify those they can't easily identify in the videos. There is much video to go through, plus they have been and will continue to interview anyone they have identified. They are working with NBA security. They have not talked to any Pacers as of yet, but will do so very soon.

When asked if players will be charged, the Prosecutor said "I don't want to pinpoint players, but I would say yes. Based upon what I've seen, I believe there will be some charges levied against certain players."

Steve

Dr. Corkski
11-22-04, 05:44 PM
When are people going to learn that putting sports teams in areas with the name "Oakland" is going to lead to nothing but trouble? :gomer:

JoeBob
11-22-04, 06:39 PM
Random Thoughts from The Sports Guy: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/cowbell/041122

Racing Truth
11-22-04, 06:50 PM
C'mon Railbird. You don't like seeing the point guard walk the ball up the court, passing to the one guy who can score, seeing him go one on one isolation while the other 4 guys stand around and watch, and force up a bad shot because the 24 second clock is winding down?

I like seeing the guy standing there celebrating his dunk while the opposing team is working a 5 on 4 fast break...the missing guy being the one who is still celebrating his dunk rather than getting back on defense.

And what is more fun than seeing someone score 30 pts on 12 of 32 shooting from the floor, and 6 of 10 from the line?

NBA action. Gotta love it.

I haven't been around here for awhile (frankly, OW racing is in such a state that I can't bring myself to giving a **** about any of it), but I felt the urge to comment on this. Dave and 'bird are right on. More troubling is that this isn't just an NBA issue. Simply put, we no longer play good basketball, at any level, in this country. Fundamentals? WHAT FUNDAMENTALS? Kids only care about 2 things: shooting (and mostly missing) 3-pointers and dunking the ball. Nothing else matters.

RichK
11-22-04, 07:01 PM
Random Thoughts from The Sports Guy: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/cowbell/041122

From that article:

Adam Carolla had an interesting take on this incident: Imagine being the guy at the game who was first attacked by Artest? You've been watching these guys for two hours, you're pretty buzzed, you're loving the seats ... and then this fight breaks out, and it's riveting as hell, and then suddenly Artest gets nailed by the cup and he's coming right at you. As Carolla said, it would be like watching "Captain Hook" in the movies for two hours, then Captain Hook comes right out of the movie screen and attacks you. Would you have blamed that first guy for soiling himself?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ankf00
11-22-04, 07:13 PM
Bill Simmons,

is,

the,

man.

Racing Truth
11-22-04, 08:49 PM
Overall view:

Artest CANNOT go into the stands. Period. What did he possibly think would come of that? A rational discussion on the coarsening of society? Man is crazy, and no Ed, bad though it was, throwing a cup of beer does not justify that. The cup was...a cup, not something putting him in any danger.

Stephen Jackson actually looked far more insane than Artest. He just started pounding people because he could.

The idiots who ran onto the court got what they deserve. In fact, someone should give these a-holes honorary Darwin Awards.

Fans have come to think that they are just as vital a part of the game as the athletes. Combine that with large quantities of alcohol and there you go.

dando
11-22-04, 10:08 PM
Breaking News from Detroit TV:

The man who threw the cup at Artest to which Artest jumped into the crowd, is believed to be identified, according to the Oakland county prosecutors.

John Green is the man in the white hat, not the man in the black shirt to whom Artest first attacked. According to Oakland County Prosecutor, he has lost his season tickets, and possibly will be charged.

In a joint press conference, Oakland police and the county Prosector have warned that it will take time before all charges are laid. They are working to improve video to see who threw the chair. The chair did strike a police officer, which can possibly be grounds for felony charges to the thrower.

both the police and prosecutor are warning that it will take some time to lay all the charges in this case and are asking for any help that may identify those they can't easily identify in the videos. There is much video to go through, plus they have been and will continue to interview anyone they have identified. They are working with NBA security. They have not talked to any Pacers as of yet, but will do so very soon.

When asked if players will be charged, the Prosecutor said "I don't want to pinpoint players, but I would say yes. Based upon what I've seen, I believe there will be some charges levied against certain players."

Steve

Check this out from channel 4 in Detroit:

Green was identified over the weekend as "the fan in the white hat" who apparently threw the plastic cup of beer while Artest was sprawled on his back on a scorer's table, away from a scuffle on the court. Artest then jumped up and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Green stepped aside and another person took the initial blow. The tape of Friday's fight then shows Green attacking Artest from behind.

What a putz!

Also, this is interesting:

Gorcyca said the investigation will begin with Green, but the prosecutor's office is expected to announce charges against 25 to 50 other fans who participated in the fight at The Palace.

Gorcyca said anyone who threw a cup or a punch -- including players and fans -- could face criminal charges.

"The throwing of an object and striking someone constitutes an assault," said Gorcyca.

Goryca = Oakland County Prosecutor.

IMHO, kind of a broad interpretation of assualt, but I'd love to see him made an example.

-Kevin

dando
11-22-04, 10:12 PM
The idiots who ran onto the court got what they deserve. In fact, someone should give these a-holes honorary Darwin Awards.

While I agree with most of your thoughts, RT....just playing devil's advocate...what if the guys on the court had floor seats? Not that I know if they did, it just puts things in a different light, eh?

-Kevin

dando
11-22-04, 11:21 PM
More updates:

Artest's 'regret' (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=576&u=/nm/20041123/sp_nm/nba_artest_dc_3&printer=1)

Beer chucker's record (http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/3938054/detail.html)

:shakehead

-Kevin

Cam
11-22-04, 11:27 PM
More updates:
Beer chucker's record (http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/3938054/detail.html)

-Kevin

Nice addition to society....... :shakehead

Sean O'Gorman
11-22-04, 11:42 PM
Nice addition to society....... :shakehead

Sounds like a typical Detroit resident to me. :D

At least he stayed crime-free from 1990-2002...

nrc
11-22-04, 11:55 PM
Sounds like a typical Detroit resident to me. :D

At least he stayed crime-free from 1990-2002...

Wasn't throwing stuff at players invented in Cleveland?
:p

Dr. Corkski
11-23-04, 12:00 AM
Beer chucker's record (http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/3938054/detail.html)With his record and his accuracy displayed at the game, he should have the Raiders starting QB job wrapped up by the end of the season.

L1P1
11-23-04, 12:02 AM
Man, what a cluster f***. There are no winners here. Even the one guy I saw that seemed to be trying to pull Artest off the guy in the black hat - I thought he was the one cool guy there - he may have started it all. He was wearing a white hat (I don't know if it was THE white hat.)

Whoever threw that cup (et. al.) should've had his should've been beaten to within an inch of his life. But not by Artest or anyone else on the floor. It should've been by the fathers (and/or mothers) brought their children to the game. And it should've been in a back room somewhere. Not on camera.

I don't see a problem with Artest's original foul. It was a hard foul, but not flagrant. Wallace's response *was more than* flagrant and if the ref's had immediately blew all their whistles and kicked him out at that moment, the whole thing might've been avoided. If the entire Detroit team had not charged Artest, it might've been avoided. If Artest had went to the middle of the floor, it might've been avoided. If Reggie Miller, instead of standing in front of Artest, had layed on top of him, it might've been avoided. If the D***-Head Piston fan hadn't thrown his cup, it almost certainly would've would've been avoided. If Artest hadn't gone into the stands, it could've been avoided. If Artest got the right guy, it might even be justifiable. But he didn't. He pummelled the crap out of an innocent guy. If all the rest of the Pacers stayed on the court, it mightn't have been so bad. If Detroit had reasonable security around the court, it may never have happened.

But on the radio talk shows in Indy today, one of the main topics is about how the Pacers fans get screwed for what one bozo in Detroit does. The formidable Pacers are eviscerated by one drunk guy with a cup.

Sure, it's a valid point that Artest should've restrained himself (or been restrained). And yes, no other Pacer should have gone into the stands (and no fan should've come onto the court). But to expect the Indiana Pacers to be the entertainment playthings of Detroit fans is, frankly insane.

And before you accuse me of bias, let me point out that I've lived in Detroit and then Indianapolis for about equal periods - accounting for almost all of my life. I've been to many games in both cities and the atmosphere is completely different. Indy is, while retaining the enthusiasm, much more staid. But I wouldn't want to wear a Pistons jersey into Conseco Fieldhouse now.

It's scary. At first I was surprised at how much press it was getting. But now I think this is a major test for us. This is so much more basic than the details. It's about the difference between screaming at the TV and someone in real life.

racer2c
11-23-04, 12:04 AM
I have to vent a bit and say how disgusted I am with mess, but even more so in todays media twist that now it's all the fans fault. Not just in this instance, but at all NBA games. I read in the Washington Post today where the sports guy (forgot his name) said it's despicable that fans, or "hooligans" as he put it, are allowed to act this way. Then it dawned on me, of course this is the twist. These people make a living covering this sport. They aren't going to piddle where they eat. On the way home I hear a sound bite of the coach saying that they are sticking by the players and the interviewer explained how the police were searching the video tape for guilty fans. Fox News had talking heads on this evening proclaiming the evils of beer at sporting events. It's the beers fault! It's the fans fault! It's the security's fault! It's the free access to the courts fault! It's everyone's fault now except the people who are actually guilty! Beautiful. Makes me sick.

They will take the beer away from the fans. They will take the floor seats away. They will add Gestapo style security to keep YOU, the paying fan, in your seat. Remember, angry millionaire jocks do not want you interfering with their fights! It's all YOUR fault Mr. Fan. :shakehead

dando
11-23-04, 12:06 AM
Wasn't throwing stuff at players invented in Cleveland?
:p

I do recall Sam Wyche saying sumthin' about that once during a game... :rofl:

-Kevin

bdogg187
11-23-04, 03:37 AM
1986 -- Carrying concealed weapons
Artest ran into the stands to get this guy, however, I wonder if he would have thought twice if he realized he had already been convicted of carrying a concealed weapon at one point in his life. :rolleyes:

Both sides, the fans and the players deserve equal blame. Only an idiot throws a beer at anyone, and only an idiot insites a riot by going after the guy while he is supposed to be doing his job, playing pro-basketball. I thought the punishments were fair. No side is blameless, not the Pacers, the Pistons, the Piston fans, the Palace security, or the NBA. They all could have preveted this mess.

Racing Truth
11-23-04, 02:46 PM
While I agree with most of your thoughts, RT....just playing devil's advocate...what if the guys on the court had floor seats? Not that I know if they did, it just puts things in a different light, eh?

-Kevin

So? Get your asses to the exits then. These morons clearly wanted some action, and, well, they got it. :laugh:

Dirty Sanchez
11-23-04, 03:56 PM
Boston is a 6.5 point road-favorite tonight against Indiana.

The only bigger road-favorite tonight is Detroit... 7.5 over Charlotte.

Ouch :laugh:

Jervis Tetch 1
11-23-04, 04:09 PM
Boston is a 6.5 point road-favorite tonight against Indiana.

The only bigger road-favorite tonight is Detroit... 7.5 over Charlotte.

Ouch :laugh:
And Charlotte's in Indianapolis on Saturday. I'll be there as I'm going to Indy for the Holidays.

rabbit
12-08-04, 01:25 PM
Freep says 10 to be charged today: 5 players and 5 fans (http://www.freep.com/news/metro/melee-bar18e_20041208.htm)

chop456
01-27-05, 04:51 AM
Let me take this opportunity to point something out:

________W L PCT
Chicago 21 19 .525
Indiana 20 20 .500

:rofl:

Jervis Tetch 1
01-27-05, 08:45 AM
Come playoff time I think the Pacers will go farther than the Bulls.

So I'm not too worried.

chop456
01-27-05, 09:17 AM
Come playoff time I think the Pacers will go farther than the Bulls.

So I'm not too worried.

Doesn't matter.

The point is that the actions of a few morons have taken what was a good team and reduced them to looking up at the suckabulls. Lesson learned? I doubt it.

Dirty Sanchez
01-27-05, 11:11 AM
its back :laugh: :thumbup:

artest: "but I haven't hit anyone in like 2 months" :gomer:

Dirty Sanchez
02-03-05, 03:04 PM
"if the season ended today..." :gomer:

the pacers would miss the playoffs :laugh:

Jervis Tetch 1
02-03-05, 03:09 PM
You got that right

Dirty Sanchez
04-01-05, 12:34 PM
Evidently I've been watching more than you.

Central Division

Indiana, 7-3
Cleveland, 6-3
Detroit, 4-4
Milwaukee, 3-4
Chicago, 0-7

They're dead in the water, and the wheels will be coming off long before we get to April or May. Last year doesn't mean a damn thing anymore.
Crow!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

chop456
04-01-05, 12:36 PM
11 games to go, though. It's not too late!

Dirty Sanchez
05-20-05, 10:02 AM
should I?

naaaaaaaaaaah...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

chop456
05-20-05, 11:51 AM
Just think, they probably could have won with Artest playing some defense.

He should be proud of himself. After all, he stood up for himself like a MAN should. If you let an empty paper cup hit you without retaliating, what's next, a cotton candy cone? Raisinets? A corn dog for God's sake? The madness has to end somewhere.

Way to be a team player, Ron. :laugh:

Racing Truth
05-20-05, 12:42 PM
Just think, they probably could have won with Artest playing some defense.

He should be proud of himself. After all, he stood up for himself like a MAN should. If you let an empty paper cup hit you without retaliating, what's next, a cotton candy cone? Raisinets? A corn dog for God's sake? The madness has to end somewhere.

Way to be a team player, Ron. :laugh:

OH THE HUMANITY!!!! :laugh: :D

chop456
12-13-05, 03:01 AM
Ron "Team player" Artest :laugh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2256741

chop456
03-06-07, 05:21 AM
Artest Arrested For Domestic Violence (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2788871)

Maybe she threw a paper cup at him, leaving him no choice. :thumbup:

chop456
05-04-07, 02:02 AM
Artest sentenced to community service, work project (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2859498)

What are the odds on him making it through 3 years of probation without getting arrested again? :laugh:

chop456
08-01-08, 04:35 AM
Way to keep it real. :thumbup:

Houston's Yao Ming had recently told the Houston Chronicle that he was concerned about Artest's role in the 2004 "Motown Melee" in which Artest, then with Indiana, charged into the stands after a fan who threw a drink of some sort on him, setting off a brawl.

Yao, when asked about a trade with Sacramento for Artest, said, "Hopefully he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands."

OK, so maybe that's not the best way to welcome a new teammate, but Artest made it worse when he essentially said he'd do it all again.

"I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto," Artest told the Sacramento Bee. "That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of Black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a Black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture . . .

"If you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there. Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed."
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2008/07/31/20080731p2main.html

:gomer:

Ankf00
08-01-08, 01:40 PM
absolutely hilarious listening to all the rockets fans in houston raving about picking him up.

Don Quixote
08-01-08, 02:53 PM
Way to keep it real. :thumbup:
:gomer: Makes me want to go out and buy a jersey today! :laugh:

Gnam
08-01-08, 03:47 PM
Why isn't Artest on the Olympic team?
I'd like to see him wade into the crowd in Beijing: Oh, I know you didn't throw that mushu at me! THUG LIFE! ;)

chop456
04-25-12, 04:34 AM
Oh dear. Poor, victimized Ron Artest has been suspended without cause again? Apparently people are going around hitting him in the elbow with their heads. (10th suspension in 9 years for those keeping count).

I can only hope someone's available to defend his behavior. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
04-25-12, 07:50 AM
I love Ron Ron. Playoffs are gonna be good this year. :thumbup:

Don Quixote
04-25-12, 10:37 AM
I sure hope his elbow is OK.

dando
04-25-12, 11:08 AM
I sure hope his elbow is OK.

Fortunately he didn't hit Harden's beard.... :saywhat:

-Kevin

devilmaster
04-25-12, 11:44 AM
Bringing the thread back reminds me of an article written not too long ago about the brawl....

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7612311/an-oral-history-malice-palace

dando
04-25-12, 11:47 AM
Bringing the thread back

We love us some zombies, eh? :)

-Kevin

Don Quixote
04-25-12, 01:12 PM
We love us some zombies, eh? :)

-KevinSOG is a zombie??!!!?? When did that happen?

cameraman
04-25-12, 01:20 PM
SOG is a zombie??!!!?? When did that happen?

It would explain some things.

dando
04-25-12, 01:23 PM
SOG is a zombie??!!!?? When did that happen?

I think it was when Ank went Ron Artest on him the Thur before the tOSU/Texas game back in '04.... :D

-Kevin

cameraman
04-25-12, 06:25 PM
And shouldn't you folks be referring to Mr Metta World Peace:rolleyes:

Don Quixote
04-25-12, 06:45 PM
And shouldn't you folks be referring to Mr Metta World Peace:rolleyes:SOG changed his name to Metta World Peace???!!!?? When did that happen? :D

dando
04-25-12, 08:21 PM
And shouldn't you folks be referring to Mr Metta World Peace:rolleyes:

A Ron Artest by any other name is still a Ron Artest.

-Ochocinco :gomer:

TKGAngel
04-26-12, 01:21 PM
SOG changed his name to Metta World Peace???!!!?? When did that happen? :D

If his FB feed is any indication, that's about the only thing someone hasn't changed his name to in error.