PDA

View Full Version : Kanaan and "Managed Racing"

Wabbit
11-19-04, 06:23 PM
From speedtv: http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/13980/

"Kanaan’s newfound love for oval racing doesn’t extend itself to tin-tops, though. NASCAR’s popularity may be growing worldwide, Brazil included, but Tony made clear his dissatisfaction with the Frances’ “managed racing” model.

“There’s no doubt NASCAR is akin to a religion in the USA right now, but many people – and most open-wheel fans for that matter – question the way their races always seem to have a Hollywood ending,” he declared. “Not to take anything away from Dale [Earnhardt] Jr.’s victory right after his father died, or Jimmie Johnson’s successes following the Hendrick plane tragedy,” Kanaan continued, “but these sorts of ‘coincidences’ can make you go ‘hmm’ sometimes.”
"

Someone needs to look at his own "league" before complaining about NASCAR.

RacinM3
11-19-04, 07:29 PM
He must not have gotten the memo about the IRL becoming "NASCAR with no fenders".

Winston Wolfe
11-20-04, 08:43 PM
yeah, right :rolleyes:
Virtually EVERY friggin race ends with Porky Page blathering on about how this was the "Xth Closest Finish in EARL Contrived Racing History !!!! "....
The picture in the dictionary for contrived racing is any one of the recent finishes where Sham Hornish won in his Cos-rolet - Chev-worth powered Panther racing whatever, pretty much the second half of last year!
I always thought Tony K's nose was a little too large for him to get in close for some real good ol fashioned ass kissin', but I guess becoming the Champ does that to you....

This reminds me of a Metallica song.... "Where's your crown, King Nothing..."

Chiphead_Dave
11-21-04, 10:25 AM
I always thought Tony K's nose was a little too large for him to get in close for some real good ol fashioned ass kissin'

Look at it this way his nose is like a guide so that once he gets in close he can't miss. Besides most of the guys he is butt smooching have a significant amount of ass to go around.

Just remember what the difference is between an ass kisser and a ****head. Depth perception.

Racewriter
11-21-04, 06:48 PM
Tony just has lemming envy.

It's a common malady that afflicts drivers who win a championship, then look around and realize that nobody gives a rip.

Railbird
11-21-04, 06:53 PM
Gotta wonder if Kurt Busch even knows who or what Tony Kanaan is.

DaveL
11-21-04, 07:12 PM
Gotta wonder if Kurt Busch even knows who or what Tony Kanaan is.

You can combine the notoriety of Indyunapolis Fivehunnert champ Rice and IRL champ Kanaan and it won't match Kurt Busch's catch can man.

Kurt Busch (a racer's racer BTW) has more fame and notoriety than the whole IRL field.

The irony of Kanaan, who drives a high downforce rev limited spec wing formula where drivers basically floor it and steer, knocking NASCAR where drivers have do to stuff like use the brakes is not lost.

Methanolandbrats
11-21-04, 09:14 PM
You can combine the notoriety of Indyunapolis Fivehunnert champ Rice and IRL champ Kanaan and it won't match Kurt Busch's catch can man.

Kurt Busch (a racer's racer BTW) has more fame and notoriety than the whole IRL field.

The irony of Kanaan, who drives a high downforce rev limited spec wing formula where drivers basically floor it and steer, knocking NASCAR where drivers have do to stuff like use the brakes is not lost. Yup, the Brazillion Hillbilly can't hang with a NASCAR Intellectual. Very telling.

bdogg187
11-22-04, 12:56 AM
The irony of Kanaan, who drives a high downforce rev limited spec wing formula where drivers basically floor it and steer, knocking NASCAR where drivers have do to stuff like use the brakes is not lost.

Kurt Busch, as much as I dislike him, has won at Bristol and Martinsville, come within inches of winning at Darlington and Rockingham, and has had solid finishes on road courses. These are NASCARs toughest tracks. I definitely think Busch is better than Kanaan.

nrc
11-22-04, 01:07 AM
Besides, Kurt Busch is a Champ car driver. ;)

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Content/Photos/2003/By400/20030205P_0013.jpg

Jag_Warrior
11-22-04, 01:43 AM
Besides, Kurt Busch is a Champ car driver. ;)

Yep, remember it well. And that's the story I'm uh gonna stick with. He's one uh our boys (almost... sorta... kinda).

cart7
11-22-04, 08:49 AM
Give Kurt as much training and seat time in a Champcar as Tony has had and he'd probably kick Kanaan's *** on a regular basis. Kurts the real deal, a pretty aggressive driver but who could win in about anything you put him in.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-23-04, 12:09 PM
Give Kurt as much training and seat time in a Champcar as Tony has had and he'd probably kick Kanaan's *** on a regular basis. Kurts the real deal, a pretty aggressive driver but who could win in about anything you put him in.As much as I hate that whiney punk, I agree with you. But put him in an F1 car and I don't think he would win right away like I think Jeff Gordon would. More so in a year.

If Kurt was to start out with his style of racing in F1, the field would put him in his place fast.