PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car: A Phoenix Rising

TedN
11-18-04, 03:47 PM
Good Reading (http://www.globemegawheels.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20041118/CHAMP18/cars/)

Ted

:thumbup:

Clown
11-18-04, 04:06 PM
:) :thumbup:

DjDrOmusic
11-18-04, 04:29 PM
I like the good PRESS that is coming out lately...it's about time! :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
11-18-04, 04:30 PM
I thought I was reading the Indy Star... not.

Seriously, north of the (US/Canadian) border the media is much more open and informed on all things open wheel.

In the US, outside of Indy, you're not likely to get anything except MAYBE some re-purposed AP crap taken from Indy. The rest is NASCAR.

Meanwhile, even Brian France complains that the media gives NASCAR less coverage than it deserves, given the fan base. Its all stick and ball stuff.

Anyway this is the most positive CCWS/CART piece I've ever seen in the main press :thumbup:

Don Quixote
11-18-04, 04:31 PM
Nice.

racer2c
11-18-04, 04:50 PM
From time to time I remember back to a poll that was printed in Sports Illustrated in 96. The question asked was "Which sport entity will not survive 10 years from now?" Or something to that affect. CART was number 1 with the IRL number 2. It made me so mad. They said without Indy, they'd never survive.
I've been checking the months off the calendar for years now and this year seemed like the year that their prediction would come true. Now it looks like it's far from the truth. The day the IRL is no more, will be one of the happiest days in my life.

Skater_36
11-18-04, 05:20 PM
It is nice to see good press about CCWS for a change. Even more interesting is the perception of the IRL and it's team owners to the media outside of Indianapolis and Disney.

jonovision_man
11-18-04, 07:51 PM
Seriously, north of the (US/Canadian) border the media is much more open and informed on all things open wheel.

It's a nice article for Champ Car, but not all that "informed".

"While Champ Car's new ownership stopped paying to prop up teams and promote races"

I wish. :)

jono

audi quattro
11-18-04, 09:58 PM
except the chuckleheads in vancouver
sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh

RacinM3
11-19-04, 12:46 PM
I still love how TWICE now the IRL's bids have been higher dollar-wise for assets critical to Champ Car's survival, and twice they have lost. People are seeing the lack of a clear business plan on the part of the IRL. Someday TG may learn that just throwing money at a problem doesn't necessarily solve it. KK understands that providing value, not just money, convinces people to go your way, even when the money you offer is less.

oddlycalm
11-20-04, 05:27 PM
The press loves to jump on the bandwagon. When SI ranked the forming of the EARL among the top 10 dumbest moments in sports over the last 50yrs, it was bound to change the tone of subesequent articles. Right or wrong, SI is the 300lb. gorilla in the sports world, so the IRL is officially a brainfart forever. The declining audience numbers simply confirm the trend for the press.

On the other hand, the huge crowds at the final two races of Champ Car's season-that-wasn't-supposed-to-happen followed by the huge Cosworth news has re-focused positive attention on CCWS. Postive press will be a big help for the 2005 season.

oc