PDA

View Full Version : How to build CCWS brand loyalty

Andrew Longman
11-18-04, 03:21 PM
See page 3 http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/041122/biztech/22nascar.htm.

Interesting quote: NASCAR fans do differ from other fans in a critical way, however. "They definitely are more responsive to sponsorships," says Beatriz Perez, vice president of sports and entertainment marketing at Coca-Cola, which has sponsored a NASCAR cup race in Charlotte, N.C., every Memorial Day weekend for the past 21 years. To an uncanny degree, NASCAR fans make conscious decisions at the grocery store to support their sport and their favorite driver. "From a sociological point of view, it's quite interesting; from a marketing point of view, it's pure gold," says Andrew Grenville of Ipsos-Insight, a global survey firm that measures NASCAR fan brand loyalty.

All jokes about mindless goobers aside, how did that happen? What did NASCAR do? What should OWRS learn from that to get some of the same gold? TG wanted to NASCARize OW racing and failed in every aspect, but perhaps this most of all. I can't imagine any greater loyalty to 7-11 just because Kanaan won the IRL title.

Yes OWRS needs to have its own niche and it will never be NASCAR, but there may be marketing lessens here that will produce the dollars racecars run on.

I believe it starts by being a true marketing partner for the teams and sponsors, creating a consistently high quality and cleanly delivered message for the sponsors' brands within a larger series brand. For example NASCAR is very specific about how the cars are presented in terms of sponsor placements on the car. And I believe they provide a lot of support and consulting on how to make the most of a NASCAR sponsorship on and off the track.

I'm as pure race fan as there is, but I have to admit that a field of colorful and smartly designed liveries is a might finer site, and more attractive to fans and sponsors than sponsorless and poorly thought out liveries we usually see of late.

This is something I hope the 3 Amigos are thinking about once they are finished buying engine companies and securing venues and TV deals.

And just to throw this off topic, what was this about: "Surprisingly, there have been relatively few challenges to the France family's grip on stock-car racing since Big Bill France faced down a Richard Petty-led driver insurrection in 1969". What did Petty and the drivers want?

Mike Kellner
11-18-04, 03:59 PM
One of the things NASCAR did was create a group identity. It has worked to the point where in this year's election, the "NASCAR Dads" were viewed as a voting block politicians worried about. NASCAR is to its fans, not a mere sporting league, but their tribe, so sponsors are more than logos on cars, but are viewed as kinfolk. They even speak of sponsors joining the NASCAR Family. It works. Look at all the crap sold with NASCAR drivers on the label. It's not buying the stuff you need, it's supporting your kin.

I am not sure how to achieve this level of membership, but if we could, ChampCar would thrive.

mk

Robstar
11-18-04, 06:41 PM
V8 Supercars in Oz have done the NASCAR thang in terms of marketing...
It's basically Ford V Holden (GM) &, as MK put so well, they're like tribes now...
You can buy HRT or SBR or FPR merchandise in K-Mart/Target...

RichK
11-18-04, 07:15 PM
And just to throw this off topic, what was this about: "Surprisingly, there have been relatively few challenges to the France family's grip on stock-car racing since Big Bill France faced down a Richard Petty-led driver insurrection in 1969". What did Petty and the drivers want?

Petty organized a driver's union, and they told France on Saturday at Talledega that they weren't going to race on Sunday because of safety concerns. France said "fine" and hired a bunch of no-name drivers to race and the race went on. The next race weekend, all the regulars were back and everyone knew not to **** with Bill France!

Andrew Longman
11-18-04, 07:32 PM
Petty organized a driver's union, and they told France on Saturday at Talledega that they weren't going to race on Sunday because of safety concerns. France said "fine" and hired a bunch of no-name drivers to race and the race went on. The next race weekend, all the regulars were back and everyone knew not to **** with Bill France!

A union in the south? ...in 1969? Worried about safety on the big track at Dega? No, that wouldn't go over well, would it?

But they probably worried more about being called "pinko commie fags" (their words, not mine) than messing with France. Heck, only a few years ago it was "shut up and race" at Texas. Fans don't always care about driver safety. Add a union to the mix in the deep south in 1969 and you don't get a lot of support.

Back On Topic.

Sean O'Gorman
11-18-04, 07:37 PM
All jokes about mindless goobers aside, how did that happen? What did NASCAR do?

They educated the fans on the importance of sponsorship for the show to go on. Ever see the spot that Nextel has been airing lately with Jimmie Johnson and a couple of crew members celebrating in front of no fans, and then they come to the realization that nobody cares? Every time I see that, I think of road racing. Whether it is the fact that there is no promotional/marketing support for the ladder series, shifting events to where the fans aren't, or the lack of interest in the drivers, the ad is talking about us.

"Without the fans, it means nothing."

But whatever, what do I know, I'm just a fan who rambles on over and over again about the same thing. Clearly the path to Champ Car salvation is racing in Korea and Argentina. :p

L1P1
11-18-04, 07:45 PM
I agree with Mike's kinfolk point. But then the question becomes "Why?" or "How?".

I think there may be two things working in concert here. I heard a statement today that advertisers like to reach the 18-24 year-old market, not because they spend money, but because if you can get 'em young, they'll remain loyal. It could be that NASCAR appeals more to the younger audience because it's very straightforward (or some trait along those lines).

But that all goes for naught if you can't keep the heroes in the system. Dale Earnhart, Rusty Wallace, et. al. fans have been able to continue to follow their drivers while raising their sons on the sport. Those sons might pick younger drivers who they identify with more to root against Dad's driver. That creates a continuum.

I think that there's an argument to be made that The Split was not the real problem, but rather the loss of the (superstar) Andrettis, Foyts, Sullivans, Mears', etc. Now, if you're a Montoya or daMatta fan, what's here for you now? (Christiano's rumoured return notwithstanding).

Mike Kellner
11-18-04, 07:55 PM
"Clearly the path to Champ Car salvation is racing in Korea and Argentina."

If people there will buy tickets, and those people buy the things our sponsors sell, exactly what is wrong with that? I would rather see CC race in front of a full house in Seoul than an empty track in Denver. NASCAR has already rounded up all the race fans in Dixie.

Tony already tried the isolationist xenophobic racing league. It flopped, and ended up filled with wine & cheese tasting rich boys with foreign ride buyers for drivers anyway.

This is not a discussion about where to race, but how to sell the series. If a talented likable Korean driver became the top dog in CC, and they kept him around, and developed him as a star, kids would be glad to get his action figure for Christmas. Heck, NASCAR managed to create Tony Stewart fans.

Drivers and Teams need to be marketed as stars. Action figures, posters, and Hot Wheel cars have to be in Wal*Mart for next Christmas. They should view that stuff as marketing, and not a get rich quick scheme, and price it cheap to get it out there.

mk

RichK
11-18-04, 08:23 PM
I think that there's an argument to be made that The Split was not the real problem, but rather the loss of the (superstar) Andrettis, Foyts, Sullivans, Mears', etc. Now, if you're a Montoya or daMatta fan, what's here for you now? (Christiano's rumoured return notwithstanding).

Good point. I was a Michael fan (My name is Rich and......I was a Michael fan. "Hi Rich!") because of his dad.

I remember taking friends to Long Beach separated by a couple of years. In Friday practice, they asked "Where's Zanardi? I liked him!"

Michaelhatesfans
11-18-04, 08:23 PM
Drivers and Teams need to be marketed as stars. Action figures, posters, and Hot Wheel cars have to be in Wal*Mart for next Christmas. They should view that stuff as marketing, and not a get rich quick scheme, and price it cheap to get it out there.

mk
No kidding. NASCAR latched onto the stack it high and sell it cheap philosophy long ago. You can make your merchandise/collectables affordable without tarnishing your image. Champ Car needs to remember that it's not just about license fees and the cost of a t-shirt or hat, it's how many people see those hats and t-shirts out on the streets after they are purchased. Ok, you didn't make as much as you could have on the licensing? Who cares? You've got people out there walking down the streets advertising for you.

Likewise with the toys and collectables - high quality diecasts are great, but don't forget the toys (I'm hoping McDonalds steps up on that one). Hook the little buggers while they're young, I say. Again, letting these things go for a decent price is an investment in the future of the sport.

L1P1
11-18-04, 08:24 PM

I don't think action figures make stars. Stars make action figures.

Sure, KK could pay Mattel to produce a line of PT action figures. He could have a warehouse full. But then he'd have to get them on store shelves. Target would say "Let me get this straight. You want me to use shelf space for cheap PT dolls when it could be used for the insanely popular Crash-Test Cabbage-Patch Ninjitsu Hedonists? We're selling those for 40 bucks a piece."

TV Spots (campaigns) focusing on a single driver would help, but are still pretty pricey.

L1P1
11-18-04, 08:28 PM
(My name is Rich and......I was a Michael fan. "Hi Rich!")

:laugh: I feel ya' man.

Wabbit
11-18-04, 08:58 PM
Merchandising is definately a big thing.

A couple years ago, I went to Portland for driver autographs. Went to K-Mart and stood in line to see Michael Andretti. Since we got there early, I went to the toy section, and other areas and did not see a single CART and/or Andretti item.

After leaving K-Mart, we went to Target in Vancouver. The line to see Vasser and Zanardi was surrounded by TCGR merchandise. I got a couple shirts while there.

This is definately an area where CART/K-Mart lost out. Unfortunately, we don't have any retailers to partner with at this time. Maybe K-Sears will step up to the plate.

Mike Kellner
11-18-04, 09:29 PM
L1P1 writes:

"that all goes for naught if you can't keep the heroes in the system. Dale Earnhart, Rusty Wallace, et. al. fans have been able to continue to follow their drivers while raising their sons on the sport."

Great point. CC needs to cultivate a cadre of drivers who want CC as a career, not ride buyers who view it as a stepping stone to F1. One reason the drivers of the 60s had a following was, they were still around in the 70s and 80s. Zanardi and Montoya had the potential to be big stars, but they left for F1. It is hard to match the drawing power of F1, but paying the top dogs a lot of money would help. Creating a system where the long timers had some stake in the system would help. Longevity pay from the series, or something. A check paid for qualifying in races based on lifetime points earned, or wins, so an aging top dog got more money than a Hiro. I know that sounds expensive, but is likely cheaper than racing in front of empty stands.

mk

Opposite Lock
11-18-04, 10:44 PM
... and they kept him around, and developed him as a star, kids would be glad to get his action figure for Christmas. Heck, NASCAR managed to create Tony Stewart fans.

Good point. :)

But if NASCAR's marketing is really that good, let's see 'em market a Jimmy Spencer action figure - now that would be a test.

On second thought, I withdraw the challenge, for the sake of the landfills.

CARTNUT
11-18-04, 11:15 PM
It's back to the "'Merican" thing I think. American fans (Gomers, Bubbas, etc.) love American drivers driving American cars in American towns. And maybe those huge @$$ billboard size hoods, fenders, and doors that work well for advertising American products. That's how NASCAR did it!

Not my idea of a good time, mind you. I have appreciated the fact that it's been easier to get an affordable hotel near Laguna Seca the last several years due to the lack of fan support for CART/ChampCar. I'd hate to see that go away, but...

Rogue Leader
11-18-04, 11:27 PM

I heard that he had some camaros, mustangs, and jaguars on the track for that race!

Skater_36
11-19-04, 09:46 AM
I think that part of the problem in building driver recognition and loyalty in open wheel vs nascar is the length of time the drivers are in the cockpit. In open wheel a long run(in current situations)would be 10 years and is many times less than that because of aspirations to F1 etc. NASCAR drivers can and do stick around for 20 years, sometimes more, and dig in for the long run.

Mike Kellner
11-19-04, 10:23 AM
Drivers do not begin to lose their edge until their late 30s, so if CC could snag talent when they are in their early 20s, that is 15 years in the public eye. How long does a series need to promote a star?

Parnelli Jones career was only about 8 years, and he was quite famous in his day. I wonder if part of the problem is sports writers who are more familiar with Parnelli than Bourdais. If that is true, it is up to the series to make reporters more familiar with the drivers we have now. Schmoozing, free food and drink, and pre-written stories can work wonders with the free press.

mk

Ankf00
11-19-04, 10:26 AM
yes, but the real question is, will we have CCWS branded ninjas?

Andrew Longman
11-19-04, 11:05 AM
"the insanely popular Crash-Test Cabbage-Patch Ninjitsu Hedonists?" :laugh:

If a key to marketing the series is to market the drivers a key will be to keep a core of drivers in the series.

Too many seats are filled by 3 and 4 drivers in a season. There are too many new faces every season. Not enough new faces are being sufficiently groomed in the ladders. The best we've seen is the PR built around Danica Patrick, but it doesn't like she's coming to CCWS.

I don't think it matters if they are Americans so long as they have personality on and off the track. Zanardi, for me, is the prototype. Tracy is there too. Bruno is the anti prototype. Sorry.

Key will be keeping guys like Seebass, AJ and the like around and building some fans around them. Tie them into comprehensive sponsor programs. As someone was mentioning about the NEXTEL ads. They include the driver, not just the car, in the ads.

racer2c
11-19-04, 11:51 AM
I don't think action figures make stars. Stars make action figures.

Sure, KK could pay Mattel to produce a line of PT action figures. He could have a warehouse full. But then he'd have to get them on store shelves. Target would say "Let me get this straight. You want me to use shelf space for cheap PT dolls when it could be used for the insanely popular Crash-Test Cabbage-Patch Ninjitsu Hedonists? We're selling those for 40 bucks a piece."

TV Spots (campaigns) focusing on a single driver would help, but are still pretty pricey.

Check the isle at your local toy store. There are action figures and toy cars of NASCAR drivers I've never heard of.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-19-04, 12:24 PM
What we also need is some more colorful drivers like Paul Tracy.

Let's face it, most of these guys are as colorful as a glass of water. Michel, Seabass, RHR, Dinger, Oriol, they're not personalities on the level of the above mentioned PT, Max Papis, Emmo, Mario, Nigel Mansell, Alex Z, hell even the Sammach man himself (although I NEVER liked him).

Now I don't think we should force-feed a personality on say Michel, but some colorful quotes, a fun attitude and some general emotion would be great. What Michel did at Long Beach in two years ago was a good example of emotion when he didn't win. That picture of him and Rayhole was all over the papers and on the Internet.

What ChampCar needs to do is cultivate one of the drivers who shows potential not only on the track, but off it. Max was a great example of that. So were some departed stars like Gil or even Helio. Say what you want about Mr. Castronervous, but his climbing of the fence after winning was great (the first few times). His interview starters are predictable though "I tell you..."

Skater_36
11-19-04, 12:24 PM
Drivers do not begin to lose their edge until their late 30s, so if CC could snag talent when they are in their early 20s, that is 15 years in the public eye. How long does a series need to promote a star?

Parnelli Jones career was only about 8 years, and he was quite famous in his day. I wonder if part of the problem is sports writers who are more familiar with Parnelli than Bourdais. If that is true, it is up to the series to make reporters more familiar with the drivers we have now. Schmoozing, free food and drink, and pre-written stories can work wonders with the free press.

mk

The difference between Parnelli Jones' career and todays drivers is that PJ drove in several different types of cars and series, that allowed for greater exposure to a larger total audience of race fans. Todays drivers are usually limited to a single series either by contract or by choice. If you had a driver running Long Beach, the Daytona 500, Indy 500, Sebring, etc. and winning while actively driving in multiple series then he (or she) would become a legendary name too. Unfortunately, due to todays sponsorship agreements and schedule loads this becomes unlikely.

Wabbit
11-19-04, 12:54 PM
The difference between Parnelli Jones' career and todays drivers is that PJ drove in several different types of cars and series, that allowed for greater exposure to a larger total audience of race fans. Todays drivers are usually limited to a single series either by contract or by choice. If you had a driver running Long Beach, the Daytona 500, Indy 500, Sebring, etc. and winning while actively driving in multiple series then he (or she) would become a legendary name too. Unfortunately, due to todays sponsorship agreements and schedule loads this becomes unlikely.

I think part of the thing keeping drivers from running successfully in different series is technology as well as money. How much technology was involoved in the late 60's/early 70's when Mario and AJ wre hopping between series and winning. Now there is so much to learn about setting up cars that people could be running a series for years and never get it right.

Andrew Longman
11-19-04, 01:20 PM
I think part of the thing keeping drivers from running successfully in different series is technology as well as money. How much technology was involoved in the late 60's/early 70's when Mario and AJ wre hopping between series and winning. Now there is so much to learn about setting up cars that people could be running a series for years and never get it right.
I think in those days guys like Mario did so much racing because it helped pay the bills. Today, Dale Jr or Tony S runs a sports car race for fun only. Then they are bashed because it might jeopardize his gravy train.

One thing for certain though. I think if OWRS is to promote their drivers they need to do it an authentic way. Michel's tears at LB, Zanardi's donuts, Heck even M Andretti's whining is genuine. I don't think the CCWS brand need charactatures like Michael Waltrip to promote the sport. And I don't think they need to play up "bad boys" like Kurt Busch or Tony Stewart either. That's too WWF. Just tell the story of these guys and show them to be human.

Mike Kellner
11-20-04, 05:13 AM
What if there is nothing left to promote? When I was a lad, race car drivers had personalities. They were very smart, had egos the size of Texas, more opinions than a Crossfire highlight reel, and a limited tolerance for idiots. This made them a great show, and created stars you either loved or hated. They were real. Dale was the last race car driver with a personality. The rest all had their personalities removed by media consultants who changed them from race car drivers into corporate spokesmen. That makes them about as interesting as Donnie Osmond. Perhaps the first step in resurecting racing is to let race car drivers be race car drivers, not advertising robots who can't speak a sentence without mentioning everyone with a decal on the car, and keeping a restrictor plate on their personalities, so as to not annoy a sponsor.

mk

Skater_36
11-20-04, 08:27 AM
Dale was the last race car driver with a personality. The rest all had their personalities removed by media consultants who changed them from race car drivers into corporate spokesmen. That makes them about as interesting as Donnie Osmond. Perhaps the first step in resurecting racing is to let race car drivers be race car drivers, not advertising robots who can't speak a sentence without mentioning everyone with a decal on the car, and keeping a restrictor plate on their personalities, so as to not annoy a sponsor.

mk

Amen to that!

Winston Wolfe
11-20-04, 11:38 AM
What if there is nothing left to promote? When I was a lad, race car drivers had personalities. They were very smart, had egos the size of Texas, more opinions than a Crossfire highlight reel, and a limited tolerance for idiots. This made them a great show, and created stars you either loved or hated. They were real. Dale was the last race car driver with a personality. The rest all had their personalities removed by media consultants who changed them from race car drivers into corporate spokesmen. That makes them about as interesting as Donnie Osmond. Perhaps the first step in resurecting racing is to let race car drivers be race car drivers, not advertising robots who can't speak a sentence without mentioning everyone with a decal on the car, and keeping a restrictor plate on their personalities, so as to not annoy a sponsor.

mk

Can I get an "Hell Yeah" to that !
Brother Kellner speaks the word !

I, for one, was relieved, more than anything else that we even HAD a CCWS to cheer for this year. This was the season that never should have been, with the forces from the dark side trying to take teams away, trying to win in court, and trying to convince the rest of the racing world that they had the teams, the drivers, the stars, the names, the sponsors, the "biggest race" of 'em all, and most importantly, the momentum to use the hammer, and put the final nail in what was left of CARTs coffin.
Didnt happen.

Now, I am all for building brand loyalty, and there are plenty of good people out there who are trying to do the same, but "brand" is not something you buy, brand is something that evolves over time, and with the constant dynamics of an ever changing market, consistency is key. There is too much discord and division in OW racing, both in N.America and abroad. OWRS needs to concentrate on its strengths as a series, whatever they are, and until it is the pinnacle of OWRS, only then can it promote its stars.
Take a look at the CART Champions from the past 5 years.... the past 10 years.... Pretty much every one of them ASPIRES to go to F1. Some went to F1. None of them were hugely successful in F1..... If they love to drive, and love the series, they have to be PAID to stay..... that brings up a whole set of issues \ problems in and of itself.... Jeemy & Paul are the only champs who have remained stateside.... we need more guys like them !

TRDfan
11-20-04, 01:01 PM
Start with the simple things....

When you walk into Wal-Mart, the kids get a smiley sticker. It's been the same for years.

How about when you arrive at a race, there are members of the "Champ Car Ambassadors" at the gate to give the kids a sticker, a coloring book, and a postcard to join the "Junior Champ Car Ambassadors." On the post card, they list their favorite driver and on their birthday, they get a card with a trading card of that driver. (The trading cars of a few years back were huge with my boys, we still have a bunch)

Online chats with drivers. Or heck, invite a driver to the OC chat room.

The consistency is a big thing. Sometimes from race to race, nobody knows who is in a car. That again would help with young fans. "Where's the _____
car ?" It seems in Nascar they refer to the sponsor on the car more than the driver sometimes.

On a side note...big props to RHR.
I went to his website to e-mail him and encourage him to stay in OWRS and got a quick personal reply. I also included that fact that my son likes him and he included a note to Nicholas in the reply. To me, that one simple thing is HUGE.

oddlycalm
11-20-04, 06:12 PM
I certainly agree with pretty much all of the comments made in this thread. I'm also aware that by age 15 people form preferences that they carry with them for life. That the effective tactics are all well known is pretty much demonstrated by the fact that here we have a marketing/merchandizing discussion with probably not more than one or two marketing pros involved. The fact is, the average US adult understands all of this, so CART was indeed way off course when proved that it didn't. :laugh:

The problem hasn't been lack of good methods, or lack of good drivers, it's been lack of a management team that could execute and control by an obstructionist franchise board dominated by old men who didn't understand the reasons for marketing because they made their money in ways where marketing simply wasn't a factor.

The most encouraging thing I've heard from the new management is when KK said that the foundation for turning around Champ Car was the fan base, because that was where it's greatest strenght was. He indicated that the product was just ok, but not great, and he politely didn't mention the rest of it. My guess is that they know only too well what we are talking about here. While I suspect it will take some time to fully implement, I do expect that modern marketing will be employed. If it's not, then we will once again be doomed by management's incompetence. I prefer to think that will not be the case.

I do agree with Kellner about one thing. Sponsors are missing the boat by asking the drivers to be toadie boys to their sponsors. Kids are very perceptive, and this is behavior that has negative consequences for promoting drivers with kids. We don't need street thugs or plate headed idiots, and neither do the the stick and ball sports for that matter, but we don't need neutered walking billboards either.

BTW, the first female driver with that has the chops will be a mega superstar that will transcend the sport itself in popular culture, and could bring an entire generation of kids into the tent. Patrick is a cute midget, but lacks 'Dinger's chops. She would have reached journeyman level had she been given a chance to continue in CCWS. Given the number of girls in karting these days however, it's only a matter of time.

oc