PDA

View Full Version : Road America rumours on Windtunnel

cart7
11-17-04, 09:16 AM
According to Despain last night who has word from a viewer within the Raceway, BGN to RA by 2006, Cup to the track by 2008 and supposedly a night sportscar race in the future.

Warlock!
11-17-04, 10:24 AM
According to Despain last night who has word from a viewer within the Raceway, BGN to RA by 2006, Cup to the track by 2008 and supposedly a night sportscar race in the future.
If they get Nascar there won't be any reason to chase after or make accommodations for ChampCar. :shakehead

Warlock!

Dirty Sanchez
11-17-04, 10:39 AM
FMK

pchall
11-17-04, 11:24 AM
I'd pay to see the Cup drivers struggle around a four mile lap. :laugh:

cart7
11-17-04, 11:42 AM
They'd probably average what? 80mph? Shoot fire, that means I only get to see Jr. once every 3 minutes or so. Bwwaaaaaa :cry:

Sean O'Gorman
11-17-04, 11:43 AM
You guys can't possibly think whoever wrote that in is serious, can you? :saywhat:

cart7
11-17-04, 12:16 PM
You guys can't possibly think whoever wrote that in is serious, can you? :saywhat:
According to Despain it's a viewer within the RA organization. Apparently the Busch deal is the closest to happening at this time.

Ankf00
11-17-04, 12:34 PM
wow, imagine all that thunder coming up the hill, how majestic :rolleyes:

JoeBob
11-17-04, 12:41 PM
I dunno, the thought of 43 cup cars storming into turn 5 might be worth the trip.

The question is, how many will make it to the carousel?

Railbird
11-17-04, 12:50 PM
already happened in '56.

Like it or not they would pack the place just like The Glen.

RichK
11-17-04, 01:09 PM
4 mile laps? Where is The Empire going to build The Chute (TM)?

Winston Wolfe
11-17-04, 01:17 PM
already happened in '56.

Like it or not they would pack the place just like The Glen.

I'm with ya, 'bird....
The place will be a a HUGE success, with plenty of wrecks and lots of spinouts and fender rubbin'.... Riverside used to be a HUGE sellout and was considered a pretty damn good road course. Why would RA be considered any different ? It'll be a great show, with more people than the place has seen in years... As much as I hate to see anything but Champcars runnin' there, it's reality folks. The vendors, the local hotels and motels, camp grounds, gas stations, convenience stores, etc., are gonna have a HUGE boost to their economy as well....
BGN is going to be headed to Mexico as well for a road race, arent they ?

Wheel-Nut
11-17-04, 01:56 PM
I'd doubt they (NASCAR) would use the entire 4+ miles of RA. I'm certain there would be some sort of "U-Turn" added from T6 to 13A.

http://www.roadamerica.com/2004/maps/images/map_track_580w.jpg

JoeBob
11-17-04, 02:02 PM
I don't think you could connect 6 and 13A because of the elevation changes. They could use the shortcut at T5, but that would require either making the track an oval with right turns instead of left turns, or adding a new pit road somewhere.

FCYTravis
11-17-04, 02:35 PM
They could use the shortcut at T5, but that would require either making the track an oval with right turns instead of left turns.

And from NASCAR's standpoint, what would be wrong with that? :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
11-17-04, 02:56 PM
I don't think you could connect 6 and 13A because of the elevation changes. They could use the shortcut at T5, but that would require either making the track an oval with right turns instead of left turns, or adding a new pit road somewhere.

That would be one hell of a mess if someone were to lose their brakes headed into that corner! :eek: The car would go through that barn and onto Rt 67! :rofl:

It has been awhile since my one visit to Road America, but what if they were to just cut out T4-T7? :saywhat:

chop456
11-17-04, 04:18 PM
How about if they just stay away and not befoul the place with their wretched stench?

FRANKY
11-17-04, 04:38 PM
People need to understand that Busch is going to Mexico (uhummm) and Watkins Glen. Why would RA be a reach for them? As far as Cup goes, I doubt that at this time. Busch North has raced at Lime Rock over the past 11 years.

stroker
11-17-04, 04:58 PM
Brakes.

After 20 laps they'll have no frikkin' brakes.

nissan gtp
11-17-04, 09:04 PM
NASCAB would probably just go straight on at 5 .... they don't like long laps, and couldn't deal with the back part of the track

... remember Suzuka ? :laugh:

nrc
11-17-04, 11:25 PM
Busch might make sense. NASCAR is looking for opportunities to send them to different venues so they can get two paydays on a weekend instead of one from a combined event.

A Nextel Cup date doesn't seem likely to me. They've already got a packed schedule. They're already in the Chicago market and they've got prospects in other, bigger markets.

But I'm sure they'd like the Wisconsin folks to think that a Nextel Cup race is in the wings if they see big support for a Busch race there.

oddlycalm
11-18-04, 07:35 AM
This one sounds like it was either a spoof, someone's fantasy, or at least hugely overstated. I'm sure the folks in Wisconsin would love it, but I don't see it happening.

oc

RacinM3
11-18-04, 12:27 PM
I love the night-time sports car race idea. This year's ALMS race at Laguna into the night was a great experience.

RTKar
11-19-04, 10:56 PM
...not enough paved run off. Canada Corner would be murder unless it was "fixed" :( :shakehead :thumdown: