PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean that the owners of

SteveH
11-15-04, 06:18 PM
Champ Car now have access to the inner workings of the IRL? Will they participate in the IRL's next engine spec?

Boggles the mind, doesn't it!!! :laugh: :thumbup:

DaveL
11-15-04, 08:14 PM
The hammer is in the other hand now. :thumbup: :D

Jervis Tetch 1
11-17-04, 12:33 AM
Yes it would, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had the inner workings years ago.

audi quattro
11-17-04, 05:43 PM
Well really, unless cosworth on it's own is willing or accepted as an engine supplier, they will be out by the end of '05. Which means really that they will have very little say. They will be treated with some respect, but if they are out after '05 I am sure the IRL is not required to share anything with cosworth.

datachicane
11-17-04, 09:28 PM
Look for Cozzie to rapidly depart the ranks of TG's 'approved' engine suppliers.
They'll get Lola'ed in favor of some incestous deal, ala Falcon.

oddlycalm
11-18-04, 07:14 AM
Champ Car now have access to the inner workings of the IRL? What inner workings? :confused: From where I sit it looks like TG and a few guys with names like Fred, Earl or Vern just make stuff up as they go along. About the only thing tangible they have done is come up with a barebones rulebook (plenty of room for TG's "interpretation"). Everything else is blue sky or oral flatulence.

oc

cart7
11-18-04, 09:20 AM
Clearly, Honda's intentions are quite different than either Chebbie or Yoda. In order to appease Chevy, TG would have to return to pre-2003 engine rules, neither Toyo or Honda would go for that so basically Chevy is gone. In order to retain Toyo, the new engine will have to be production based, seeings how Honda doesn't even make a V8 I don't see that happening so Toyota's gone after '06 to run cabs full-time.

It seems that Hondas intentions of sinking Cart at whatever cost are in lockstep with the Speedways. They'll probably be rewarded as the sole engine supplier of the IRL after 2006.

JMO of course.

sundaydriver2
11-18-04, 12:06 PM
Homoco's business plan is to beat TuRD at any cost. Being the sole supplier to the Retirement League is not. I would bet that the Earl will have to go to an engine builder ala Mechacrome.

Winston Wolfe
11-18-04, 12:11 PM
Clearly, Honda's intentions are quite different than either Chebbie or Yoda. In order to appease Chevy, TG would have to return to pre-2003 engine rules, neither Toyo or Honda would go for that so basically Chevy is gone. In order to retain Toyo, the new engine will have to be production based, seeings how Honda doesn't even make a V8 I don't see that happening so Toyota's gone after '06 to run cabs full-time.

It seems that Hondas intentions of sinking Cart at whatever cost are in lockstep with the Speedways. They'll probably be rewarded as the sole engine supplier of the IRL after 2006.

JMO of course.

And how is the evil Honda going to supply ALL of the teams, when they say they are having difficulty supplying the current teams they have?
And speaking of ROI... they win all but the first and last race of the EARL season, yet no one is watching, no one is attending and no one cares. So why continue to spend all of the money buying drivers, giving out free engines, and doing everything they can to make their arch enemy, 'yoda, fall on their sword in defeat, when they have done EVERYTHING in the series already. 'Yoda said it.... there is no such thing as ROI when it comes to the EARL and its sponsors.
Drivers Champ, Engine Champ, EARL "Shadow of its former self" 500, R-O-Y, Best "Metrosexual" driver, and finallly winning on their home turf in Motegi.
What else is left for Honda?
Does Cozzie seem to care about next year? Panther only.... hmmmm, NOPE.
Does 'Yoda appear that they are going to come out swinging, or are they going to "rope a dope" Hon-duh for most of the year?
Dont forget, the "H" teams are stacked with road racing talent and they are going road racin' with all of them there furrin' devils this year.
With any luck, this will be the final year of the EARL for many a driver and team.

cart7
11-18-04, 12:53 PM
I'm not suggesting that Honda will want to run the entire field, although, looking at that field, they are fielding over half the cars on the grid as it is.

Honda is the one running the spending up. There appears to be no concern on ROI on there part as compared to Chevy or Yoda. I can't imagine new engine rules that wouldn't take Honda's best interests to heart more than the other 2 simply because they're opening the pocketbook w/o complaining (at least not publicly).

TG has wizzed of so many ex earl teams, fans, now GM and Toyota, that he's screwed just about anyway he goes. If he goes to a more open engine plan nixing the lease deals which is cheaper, he'll lose the the 2 manufacturers that are supplying 90% of his current field with absolutely no promise from anyone (old earl teams priced out of the league the last 2 years) that they'll come back to the irl even if the costs are greatly reduced.

I personaly think that TG is screwed no matter what he does. Chevy is gone and Toyota is probably out the door behind them. The next engine rule will probably be very close to what Honda wants, not Toyota. When Toyo says they're leaving, Honda probably will say they can't afford to supply the whole field and just what manufacturer would want to get involved supplying engines to the irl when the deck is already stacked in Honda's odds.

Skater_36
11-18-04, 04:00 PM
I personaly think that TG is screwed no matter what he does. Chevy is gone and Toyota is probably out the door behind them. The next engine rule will probably be very close to what Honda wants, not Toyota. When Toyo says they're leaving, Honda probably will say they can't afford to supply the whole field and just what manufacturer would want to get involved supplying engines to the irl when the deck is already stacked in Honda's odds.

Add the fact that Honda is purchasing the BAR F1 team. Honda may not have aspirations in NASCAR but they apparently want to dominate F1 and that will take lot's of money and engineering talent. Honda has accomplished everything they wanted to get out of the IRL, next step F1 constructors championship. Honda has already embarassed Toyota in F1, will they continue to be content with being beaten by Honda on the world stage?

I agree that TG has angered too many people and companies with his business practices to make the IRL a viable series. The only hope for the Indy 500 may be if it were opened up to an equivalency formula that would allow various combos and the old one off teams to return.

Andrew Longman
11-18-04, 04:17 PM
The only hope for the Indy 500 may be if it were opened up to an equivalency formula that would allow various combos and the old one off teams to return.

I would prefer to go the other direction. Make the I500 an virtually unlimited class race. Make the month of May necessary to test and develop a myriad of one-off designs. Crowds would be there all month seeing how speeds climb and designs are being tweeked. Even the slow cars would be scary fast.

It would be fabulously expensive to be competitive. But because of the massive exposure it would be a thrill and economically viable from a sponsor's view, even to just to spend the month trying to make the show.

The world's best drivers form the biggest series would specify in their contracts that they must be allowed to compete in the I500.

The Speedways owner would plow his massive profits into continual safety improvements to the facility and research into future mandated safety features for the cars (the only rules pertaining to maximizing safety).

If 500 miles is no longer an endurance test for man and machine then raise it to 750 or 1000 miles. If speeds are high enough, it won't take that long.

Oops. Tony had other ideas. Never mind.