PDA

View Full Version : Ganassi's bid for Cosworth

RichK
11-15-04, 02:37 PM
SPEED article (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/13927/)

I didn't know that!

racer2c
11-15-04, 02:51 PM
Champ Car -2, Tony George - 0.

devilmaster
11-15-04, 02:53 PM
SPEED article (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/13927/)

I didn't know that!

If its true, its not surprising. Hell, there isn't much in OW racing that surprises me anymore. And here I am, chastizing people for watching soap operas on TV.
:gomer:

Steve

Ankf00
11-15-04, 03:11 PM
Can't blame people for that, the women on those shows are hot.

devilmaster
11-15-04, 03:15 PM

Ank, do you watch 'your stories'?
:laugh:

Steve

RacinM3
11-15-04, 04:23 PM
It's funny to watch Kalkhoven play shark to TG's bucket of chum.

Someday TG is going to wake up and realize just how out-matched he is against real businessmen who built their fortunes as opposed to inheriting them.

Rarus enim ferme sunsus communis in illa Fortuna.

RichK
11-15-04, 04:32 PM
It's funny to watch Kalkhoven play shark to TG's bucket of chum.

Someday TG is going to wake up and realize just how out-matched he is against real businessmen who built their fortunes as opposed to inheriting them.

It's amazing to see TG bungle two business deals, you'd think he could hire someone to at least do research and make a fake business case for buying Cosworth or CART's assets. Everything he does is transparent and half-assed, which, if I recall, is what the CART board pretty much said about his "business plan" when he tried to get a seat on the CART board years ago.

Wabbit
11-15-04, 04:36 PM
The two best quotes

"But I'm not going to hold a grudge. I intend to call Chip (Ganassi). I'd be very happy to build his engines for NASCAR."

and

Of course the most ironic thing about this entire engine situation is that Kalkhoven and Forsythe will continue to honor the contract with General Motors on its IRL engine for 2005.

"Why wouldn't we," says Kalkhoven with a grin. "It's good business."

And it's not too far-fetched to imagine Honda and Toyota leaving the IRL after 2006 with Kalkhoven and Forsythe still owning a normally-aspirated engine with IRL specs.

"My," drawled Kalkhoven, "wouldn't that be interesting?"

Yes it would.

pchall
11-15-04, 05:15 PM
60s flashback: "I'd rather be the hammer than the nail..."

Especially when the hammer is now in the right hands!

rabbit
11-15-04, 05:32 PM
And it's not too far-fetched to imagine Honda and Toyota leaving the IRL after 2006 with Kalkhoven and Forsythe still owning a normally-aspirated engine with IRL specs.

Yes it would. :rofl: :thumbup:

Skater_36
11-15-04, 05:45 PM
It's amazing to see TG bungle two business deals, you'd think he could hire someone to at least do research and make a fake business case for buying Cosworth or CART's assets. Everything he does is transparent and half-assed, which, if I recall, is what the CART board pretty much said about his "business plan" when he tried to get a seat on the CART board years ago.

IMO this is not so much a case of TG bungling yet another business deal, but more a case of big business in the form of Chevrolet and now Ford letting TG and the world know what they think of his business plan and his "league".

I have to laugh at the die hard IRL supporters coming up with reasons why this is a bad thing for CCWS.

Ankf00
11-15-04, 05:50 PM
Ank, do you watch 'your stories'?
:laugh:

Steve

Hey, all i was saying is there's no need to mock Wussy's favorite form of entertainment when he's at work. :gomer:

Jayblues
11-15-04, 06:25 PM
Having had the privellge of meeting Kevin Kalkoven this summer, i am left with no doubt that he is leading a team of people that will see CCWS emerge as the premier open wheel series in North America and beyond.

Further more and probably more importantly; he is leading the series with intergrity and smart business sense. By doing the right things, at the right time and for the right reasons he is showing that other open wheel organizations and folks involved with other series do not share the same values and integrity.

Congratulations to KK, CCWS and good luck.

:thumbup

oddlycalm
11-15-04, 07:48 PM
you'd think he could hire someone to at least do research and make a fake business case for buying Cosworth or CART's assets. That's the problem faced by those that only hire toadies and ass kissers instead of real talent. They may get you buy if there's no serious competition or nobody paying attention, but when it's crunch time it's another story entirely.

TG basically has a "posse" of toadies, wankers and hangers on that would never get a place at the table in a real business. What we are seeing out of TG is pretty typical of many that inherited their money and positions. Their sense of entitlement doesn't allow them to question whether someone will come along and knock them on their ass simply because they are in the way, so they don't prepare accordingly. It also effectively makes the point that at the end of the day, even a big local track owner is still just a local track owner. TG has no reference point for either valuing the assets and liabilities of CART or Cosworth. Like everything else, you learn about acquisitions by doing them.

This also makes clear Penske's lack of involvement, which is something worth knowing. He and his people would be able to size up a possible Cosworth deal just as quickly as Kalkovan and Forsythe, so it's clear he's not lifting a finger on TG's behalf.

oc

DaveL
11-15-04, 08:12 PM
I can't add much to what everyone else already said.

TG couldn't run a lemonade stand and sell his product to thirsty people. I'm just sitting back and enjoying watching Tony completely ruin his series. I'm willing to sacrifice Indy just to see Idiotgrandson crash and burn.

gjc2
11-15-04, 08:17 PM
TG is going to wake up and realize just how out-matched he is against real businessmen

That is exactly what's happening, and is why the new Cosworth principles will honor there contract with Chevrolet for there IRL program.

George

Cam
11-15-04, 08:36 PM
Taking this viable business concern out of corporate politics and into private hands, is going to be a huge boost to the company. I think Ford saw this and that's why they went the way they did. :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
11-15-04, 08:48 PM
What a relief. I'd hate to see the company renamed Cowsworth. :P

spinner26
11-15-04, 09:29 PM
Is it not is funny how in the court proceedings in the bid for CART the judge ruled he favored CCWS' business model / plan to the money of TG. Now with the sale of Cosworth CCWS wins again vs. money (FATASSI) because of a better business plan / future for the product. I'd love to read somewhere that Chevy runs tough with the Yen next year.

Railbird
11-15-04, 09:51 PM
I'd love to read somewhere that Chevy runs tough with the Yen next year.

Won't happen, Panther is the only team they've got worth a damn and the tech line got a little more difficult for John Barnes once "boy wonder" left.

Chevy won't step up with the development cash and I figure KK needs to spend money elsewhere.

PopOffValve
11-16-04, 10:28 PM
For the trifecta, they should take over the Indy Speedway right from Tony George. That would really be history. wow, that's just amazing what they were able to do.

Andrew Longman
11-16-04, 11:03 PM
This also makes clear Penske's lack of involvement, which is something worth knowing. He and his people would be able to size up a possible Cosworth deal just as quickly as Kalkovan and Forsythe, so it's clear he's not lifting a finger on TG's behalf. oc

That a very interesting and noteworthy quote. RP has done nothing since the spring when he orchestrated the stillborn "summit".

Like him or not, I have enough repsect for RP as a businessman and racer to guess that was his last attempt to help and now knows where the future is.

Ganassi on the other hand...

And Rahal, Fernandez, Andretti and Nunn are just trying to pay there bills and make money without having to think or work too hard.

dando
11-17-04, 12:23 AM
"But I'm not going to hold a grudge. I intend to call Chip (Ganassi). I'd be very happy to build his engines for NASCAR."

Of course the most ironic thing about this entire engine situation is that Kalkhoven and Forsythe will continue to honor the contract with General Motors on its IRL engine for 2005.

"Why wouldn't we," says Kalkhoven with a grin. "It's good business."

Yes it would.

Now wouldn't that be :cool:?!?

-Kevin

TravelGal
11-17-04, 02:10 AM
That a very interesting and noteworthy quote. RP has done nothing since the spring when he orchestrated the stillborn "summit".

Like him or not, I have enough repsect for RP as a businessman and racer to guess that was his last attempt to help and now knows where the future is.

And Rahal, Fernandez, Andretti and Nunn are just trying to pay there bills and make money without having to think or work too hard.

Yep. RP may be an a## and a pain in the a## but he's no horse's a## like Gana##i. I feel sorry for the others. For SO many reasons. Good post AL. :thumbup:

gjc2
11-17-04, 08:42 AM
For the trifecta, they should take over the Indy Speedway right from Tony George. That would really be history. wow, that's just amazing what they were able to do.

That would end the debate. How much would they want for it?

How about building a state of the art racing facility in Cuba, an oval and a FIA spec road coarse, It would require the over throw of Fidel Castro, but as long as we're dreaming.........

George

Skater_36
11-17-04, 09:32 AM

I have noticed the same thing regarding Penske and agree, like him or not, he made his own empire (unlike TG and Ganassi) so I respect his business sense. Penske is on the tail end of his sponsorship agreement with Marlboro, has an engine program with a manufacturer that is headed to NASCAR and clearly knows that the IRL product isn't working hence the unification talk.

L1P1
11-17-04, 06:14 PM
I wonder if there's anything in the Cosworth/Chevy contracts (either with each other or the IRL) that requires a certain number of engines/cars/teams.

If Chevy's car count is low or non-existant, Cosworth could wind up on the winning end of a lawsuit/settlement without even having to build any engines.

JohnHKart
11-23-04, 09:39 AM

Well hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only watch the ones from Colombia.....HOT HOT HOT...When's the next flight to Bogota? :)

John

From the current Telemundo Te Voy Ensenar A Querer:

Catherine Siachoque, who I have met and sometimes correspond with
http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0914/3729620.jpg

Danna Garcia

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0914/3729595.jpg

Ana Lucia Dominquez

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0914/3729679.jpg

And Paola Rey from Mujer En El Espejo:

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/1103/3886610.jpg

Natasha Klauss from Mujer En El Espejo:

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/1103/3886647.jpg

Last but not least Zharick Leon.....from Pasion De Gavilanes....(as were all the above cept for Cathy)

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0331/2964622.jpg

Winston Wolfe
11-23-04, 12:29 PM
JHK, I think we just learned WAYYYY too much ! :laugh:
You have actually met these chicks ?

pchall
11-23-04, 03:40 PM
JHK, I think we just learned WAYYYY too much ! :laugh:
You have actually met these chicks ?

Probably introduced to them by Madam Palm. ;)

G.
11-23-04, 03:43 PM
Probably introduced to them by Madam Palm. ;)How is Rosie doing these days?

JohnHKart
11-23-04, 06:59 PM
Ha ha very funny.....Yes I have met Catherine Siachoque....here's my picture with her. I actually met her twice the weekend of the Telemundo Fanfest....in March and got two hugs from her! Before I met her I found her posting on a bulletin board for one of her shows. I wrote that I was a fan and she wrote back...Since I met her I've had three emails from her. It's pretty cool, I know this is Latin America, things are different, in the US would never happen. Danna and Paola and Natasha were also at fanfest, but didn't get to meet them....if I'd only gotten out of bed 20 mins earlier on the Saturday I would have. I guess nobody works on Sunday because the UniCityWalk was a mob fest then...(I think I cut a line a mile long to get this pic)

John

http://img77.exs.cx/img77/79/JohnandCatherineSiachoque.jpg

Rogue Leader
11-23-04, 09:33 PM
my god they are all ridiculous!!

gjc2
11-24-04, 08:49 PM
Taking this viable business concern out of corporate politics and into private hands, is going to be a huge boost to the company. I think Ford saw this and that's why they went the way they did. :thumbup:

I would imagine Ford's deal with Red Bull for the F1 team was contingent on the rite people getting Cosworth. I doubt Red Bull would have wanted to have to count on the IRL "brain trust" for there engines.

George