PDA

View Full Version : A New Music Thread

Jervis Tetch 1
11-12-04, 10:08 AM
Hey, it's been awhile since we've had one...

Who would you say have been the five most influential bands of all time? By that I mean groups that transposed the boundries of R&R, shifted trends, stayed at the top of their game and just basically put out some great music.

My five in alphabetical order are:

The Beatles
Nirvana
The Rolling Stones
The Sex Pistols
The Velvet Underground

The Beatles of course did so many things and so much has been written about them that I couldn't possibly add more here--but take my word (for once) on this one.

Nirvana brought Indie/Garage/Punk/Alternative to the mainstream and simultaneously wiped out hair metal--to which I'll always be eternally grateful.

The Stones rocked longer than anyone else and added the Blues element so many of their descendents used later.

The Pistols, while only doing one proper album, brought that unmistakable attitude and also punk that gave rock a much needed kick in the ass, and the Velvet Underground were the first band to add the sex and drugs to the lyrics.

Others I'd consider would be Queen, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis and Buddy Holly.

JMHO. What's yours?

rabbit
11-12-04, 10:51 AM
I think one that is often overlooked is the Beastie Boys. I believe they influenced the whole genre of so-called "rock-rap."

Easy
11-12-04, 11:14 AM
I'd have to place the Ramones over the Sex Pistols for influencing punk. (I like the Sex Pistols, but) Sid Vicious was way too monumentally untalented to even pump gas and dragged the whole ship down. I agree on the attitude thing though, Bay Area punk probably would have been different w/o John Lydon.

Ankf00
11-12-04, 11:34 AM
leaving zeppelin off is a big mistake

DjDrOmusic
11-12-04, 12:01 PM
Just the old guy in me speaking, but my five would have individuals and one group.

The first would be Buddy Holly, what he composed and the recording techniques he used have stood the test of time and to be honest had he not died, I'm not sure there would have been a British invasion.

Also on the list would be Hank Williams, not Jr., but THE Hank Williams. He also wrote music that is still being used today and his influence crossed over the country music boundary into rock and pop. I believe he is the only member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to come from the country music world.

Elvis Presley goes on the list as the performer who meshed so many styles of music and made such an impact that I doubt anyone will wrest his King title away.

Elton John, the one performer/composer that has had top 10 hits in every decade since the 70's. Every era has a composer that can be identified as the major influence and he is arguably it for the late 20th century.

The Beatles would also be on mine, for the influence that they have on just about all popular music. Of course if you want to know the biggest influence that The Beatles had, look at number 1 on my list!

Just my two cents. :)

cart7
11-12-04, 12:06 PM
Hmm, just 5 huh?

Buddy Holly - for the reasons the Good Dr. gave

Chuck Berry - One of the first real showman of rock and broke the race barrier.

The Beatles - Made rock music something to be taken seriously.

Rolling Stones - Picked up the ball where the Beatles left it. Strong stage presence and put the rock into rock and roll.

The Who - The first punk/grundge band.

Michaelhatesfans
11-12-04, 12:11 PM
Nirvana brought Indie/Garage/Punk/Alternative to the mainstream and simultaneously wiped out hair metal--to which I'll always be eternally grateful.
And rescued us from the hellish Michael Bolton/Kenny G/Whitney Houston era, don't forget!
Hard to pick a top five... I'd have to find a way to squeeze Johnny Cash in there. "Hurt" showed how powerful he was right up until his final days. :cool:

DjDrOmusic
11-12-04, 12:16 PM
I stand corrected! I forgot Johnny Cash was in the R&R HOF. :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
11-12-04, 12:40 PM

Cross off Zeppelin and insert Yardbirds. The starting ground for Clapton, Beck, and Page, it doesn't get much more influential than that.

I'd also throw in:

Johnny Cash
Elvis Presley
Beatles
Velvet Underground

It is too hard to stop at five, but I think I covered a pretty diverse base with my picks. If you want to dig deeper, you can go and add early blues musicians like Leadbelly, but I'm sticking to 50s on up.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-12-04, 01:10 PM
leaving zeppelin off is a big mistakeMy bad, that's for sure, but let me tell you they are No. 6 in my book.

I was going to place them in there, but after an extended conversation with a musician friend of mine, who knows his history, he gave me the pros-cons on Zep and Velvet Underground...I literally flipped a coin on that one

But make no mistake, Zep is on any critics list.

DjDrOmusic
11-12-04, 01:21 PM
....I forgot the outright MASTER.....

Weird Al

....running and hiding :rofl: ;) :D

Ankf00
11-12-04, 01:40 PM
Cross off Zeppelin and insert Yardbirds. The starting ground for Clapton, Beck, and Page, it doesn't get much more influential than that.

I'd also throw in:

Johnny Cash
Elvis Presley
Beatles
Velvet Underground

It is too hard to stop at five, but I think I covered a pretty diverse base with my picks. If you want to dig deeper, you can go and add early blues musicians like Leadbelly, but I'm sticking to 50s on up.

ya, but the extent to which zep incorporated the blues in their first 2 albums outweighs the chronology of the 2 bands imo :p

and shouldn't you be listening to raver ricer music? Dance Dance Revolution, or something like that? :gomer:

chop456
11-12-04, 02:44 PM
Nirvana's record label brought grunge to the mainstream, not Nirvana.

Most overrated band ever

You can't leave Hendrix off the top 5, no way, no how.

racer2c
11-12-04, 04:12 PM
Queen
Elvis Costello
Motorhead
The Beatles
Black Sabbath

pchall
11-12-04, 05:45 PM

This counts only when you bought your first LZ album in London in 1969. ;)

Ankf00
11-12-04, 05:53 PM
well aren't you special :p

RTKar
11-12-04, 10:09 PM
Alot of Ska/ Reggae influence in music these days and in the recent past (The Clash, Police, Green Day, Mighty, Mighty Bosstones...etc..), probably in Rap as well. The obvious name that pops out is Marley but before him the Ska boys started a new genre that altered the mainstream. I think Buddy Holly is a name that probably should be on the list. Bands like the Stones and Beatles may have brought and popularized little known sounds to the mainstream. Currently I think the Roots Rock thing is interesting; bands like Wilco/ Uncle Tupelo and a host of other little known groups may be shifting Rock from a hard edge to a more "accousticy" sound.

denith
11-13-04, 12:13 PM
I dunno much of those old bands and stuff, but I'd go with Zeppelin, Beatles, Elvis.

And Ray Charles, cuz he sang Georgia. :D

EDwardo
11-13-04, 12:30 PM

I think I saw LZ in Amsterdam about 1969. Or 1970. I do remember that I was in Amsterdam at the same time Zep was playing. I remember starting a plan to acquire some snacks for the show. I'm pretty sure I did that. It was a great show! Unfortunately the details escape me right now. Amsterdam was a lot of fun......

LZ
Stones
Beatles
Velvet Underground
and Klaatu, just because I like 'em and apparently no one else has ever heard of them!

I need to start writing stuff down.....

Ankf00
11-13-04, 12:30 PM
they reaired The Simpsons "The Regina Monologues" last night where they vacation in England....

Homer: "There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."

:rofl:

EDwardo
11-13-04, 12:31 PM
they reaired The Simpsons "The Regina Monologues" last night where they vacation in England....

Homer: "There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."

:rofl:

Did you know that Jimmy Page was in a band before Puff Daddy? ;)

Sean O'Gorman
11-13-04, 01:31 PM

:shakehead

Does anyone remember when the Simpsons used to be funny? You know, before every line was one of the characters trying to make a witty comment like that?

Michaelhatesfans
11-13-04, 01:33 PM
I think I saw LZ in Amsterdam about 1969...
Liar. I've yet to meet anyone who remembers a damn thing about Amsterdam!

:laugh:

RTKar
11-13-04, 10:21 PM
Zeppelin ?......not a chance :thumdown:

Jervis Tetch 1
11-13-04, 10:42 PM
Nirvana's record label brought grunge to the mainstream, not Nirvana.

Most overrated band ever

You can't leave Hendrix off the top 5, no way, no how.Sorry, but Sub Pop didn't bring grunge to the mainstream. Sure, Bruce Pavitt and Jon Poneman did a good job in keeping Sub Pop from folding, but Nirvana distrusted them and left for Geffin.

Pavitt and Poneman did get a percentage of "Nevermind's" sales because they (Nirvana) were still under contract to them.

And since this is an opinion deal and yours counts just as much as mine, then put Jimi in the top five--that's great. But Nirvana is not overrated. People talked about them when they were around. They are talking about them now 10 years later. Ten years from now they will still be talking about them. And 50 years from now they will still talk about them.

Just like they will the Beatles, Stones and a few others.

They won't be doing that with Creed, No Doubt, 50 Cent or Britney Spears.

That's what makes Nirvana so great. They changed music. For better (Pearl Jam) or worse (Limp(dick) Biskit).

chop456
11-13-04, 11:01 PM
Nirvana. As for what made them popular - who knows? What makes any band popular? Usually because they're different. Nirvana was as different as any other grunge band from Seattle. They played crunchy, distorted, sloppy music, Cobain was just more photogenic than Mark Lanegan and his ilk. Cobain was a great songwriter, mediocre lyricist, and below average guitarrist. His wild-eyed angst was an attraction to those people who are attracted to things other than the music. By now they'd be as stale as R.E.M. As for being talked about in 50 years? Not a chance if Cobain didn't suck on a 12-gauge. I have their albums. I know their music. I just don't believe that they're anywhere near as important as people think. Like you said - one guy's opinion. ;)

He also gets a 1,000,000 point deduction for touching Courney Love. :gomer:
(Billy Corgan, too).

Dirty Sanchez
11-13-04, 11:45 PM
^agree with this... so far, this thread is about as wankerific as it gets. thank God this site isn't about musical superiority.

Sean O'Gorman
11-13-04, 11:54 PM
I think part of Nirvana's mystique (aside from Cobain's suicide) is the fact that they've been the last major innovators of rock music. Seriously, who has come around in the past ten years that has done something different? KoRn? Jet? ROFLMAO.

I'm worried about the genre, I think marketing killed rock music. :shakehead

DaveL
11-14-04, 12:33 PM
I still contend that The Shaggs were the most unique and original band to have ever recorded. Nothing in the history of the music had ever sounded like them or ever will.

chop456
11-14-04, 01:06 PM
You got that right. :D

Ankf00
11-14-04, 01:49 PM
The classic rock station here has been offed to make room for yet ANOTHER tejano music station.... and the alternative station just plays emo and that soft nu-metal crap

clear channel will kill rock.

Night Train
11-14-04, 01:51 PM
Emo is the worst music ever invented.

Makes hair metal look like Zeppllin or Sabbath

Sean O'Gorman
11-14-04, 02:51 PM
Emo is the worst music ever invented.

Makes hair metal look like Zeppllin or Sabbath

Ugh! You just had to bring up emo, didn't you?? :D

I wish those stupid emo kids would just live up to the threats they write in their dumb journals and kill themselves.

Robstar
11-15-04, 12:28 AM
I think one that is often overlooked is the Beastie Boys. I believe they influenced the whole genre of so-called "rock-rap."

Here here :thumbup:

SteveH
11-15-04, 01:09 AM
and Klaatu, just because I like 'em and apparently no one else has ever heard of them!

Canadian band that had the world thinking for about 5 minutes in 1977 that they were the Beatles reunited. I love Karen Carpenter's cover of Calling All Occupants of Interplanetary Craft. :D

Very trippy band. Bought their first album.

Classic Apex
11-15-04, 01:42 AM
That's what makes Nirvana so great. They changed music. For better (Pearl Jam) or worse (Limp(dick) Biskit).

The Pixies changed music, not Nirvana. Hell, even Kurt Cobain publically stated that when he was writing 'Smells Like Teen-Spirit' that he was trying to sound like The Pixies.

Pixies were the driving force. Nirvana got the credit.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-15-04, 02:18 PM
^agree with this... so far, this thread is about as wankerific as it gets. thank God this site isn't about musical superiority.
Well then give us your insight instead of wankering on.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-15-04, 02:20 PM
He also gets a 1,000,000 point deduction for touching Courney Love. :gomer:
(Billy Corgan, too).
Does that count for Russell Crowe too?

Jervis Tetch 1
11-15-04, 02:21 PM
I still contend that The Shaggs were the most unique and original band to have ever recorded. Nothing in the history of the music had ever sounded like them or ever will.They must be as probably 90% of the posters here have never heard of them.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-15-04, 02:23 PM
The Pixies changed music, not Nirvana. Hell, even Kurt Cobain publically stated that when he was writing 'Smells Like Teen-Spirit' that he was trying to sound like The Pixies.

Pixies were the driving force. Nirvana got the credit.I know about that, and believe me I love the Pixies (I caught their gig in LA this past summer) but I wouldn't say they changed the music. I'd say Jane's Addiction was doing that in the midst of the hair metal explosion.

Dirty Sanchez
11-15-04, 02:43 PM
Well then give us your insight instead of wankering on.What's the point? Its a bit like trying to convince Wilke that the IRL sucks.

btw, did anyone mention Mozart? :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
11-15-04, 02:57 PM
What's the point? Its a bit like trying to convince Wilke that the IRL sucks.

btw, did anyone mention Mozart? :gomer:
The point is give us your opinion. If you note, no one's slamming anyone's picks.

Dirty Sanchez
11-15-04, 03:14 PM
I gave you my opinion.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-15-04, 04:35 PM
I gave you my opinion.Uh, okay. Thank you.

Ankf00
11-15-04, 08:59 PM
seeing as this thread no longer has a point due to crapus crapping crap crap crappity crap...

aggy, meet offcamber

offcamber, aggy

http://www2.gol.com/users/coynerhm/TexasAntiTerror.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
11-15-04, 09:13 PM
http://hometown.aol.com/blackstarre/derailed.jpg

Dirty Sanchez
11-16-04, 08:52 PM
I thought you guys did a pretty good job of ignoring me... ;)

nz_climber
11-16-04, 10:24 PM

Pixies were the driving force. Nirvana got the credit.

I think the pixies did alot to change music in their era, although they might not have been as popular as some other bands mentioned, but they influenced alot of band also around then and now (see nirvana/placebo/pj harvey/radio head)

1:Sonic Youth - For being the best band band ever, they were never popular like the beatles but have continued to play tour and record for over 20 years, and helped nirvana get away from subpop and on geffin

2:The Beatles - For the reasons already stated
3:Pixies - for the above reason
4:Beastie Boys - for reasons already stated
5:Shihad (Pacifier) - For NZ music (rock/alternative band)

datachicane
11-17-04, 01:46 PM
Hendrix
Jerry Garcia
Buddy Holly
Robert Johnson
Pink Floyd before Roger Waters devolved into a self-obsessive giant japanese salamander

...with honorary mention to:
Bob Dylan
Peter Green
Neil Young
Traffic
Radiohead
Stones/Who/Beatles

chop456
11-17-04, 02:02 PM
Hendrix
Jerry Garcia
Buddy Holly
Robert Johnson
Pink Floyd before Roger Waters devolved into a self-obsessive giant japanese salamander

...with honorary mention to:
Bob Dylan
Peter Green
Neil Young
Traffic
Radiohead
Stones/Who/Beatles

Good list. :thumbup:

racer2c
11-17-04, 04:07 PM
Influential?

Bowie
New York Dolls
Iggy Pop
Megadeth
Metallica

Tim
11-17-04, 08:40 PM
Radiohead sucks

nz_climber
11-18-04, 12:34 AM
ps/ why does Johnny Cash get credit for Hurt - its a NIN song and he covered it (the orginal is heaps better in IMHO) :) :thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
11-18-04, 01:17 AM
Radiohead sucks
Wanna step outside, pal?

:p

Michaelhatesfans
11-18-04, 01:24 AM
ps/ why does Johnny Cash get credit for Hurt - its a NIN song and he covered it (the orginal is heaps better in IMHO) :) :thumbup:
I posted something about it earlier, but I wasn't giving Johnny credit for the song itself, just giving Johnny credit for taking on an edgy alternative song after being pigeon-holed for years in the C/W (no, not CrapWagon!) genre.

Jervis Tetch 1
11-18-04, 12:58 PM
I posted something about it earlier, but I wasn't giving Johnny credit for the song itself, just giving Johnny credit for taking on an edgy alternative song after being pigeon-holed for years in the C/W (no, not CrapWagon!) genre.Johnny also did a very nice version of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage." It's a very nice listen.