PDA

View Full Version : A little exclusive preview for my friends at OffCamber

rabbit
02-20-03, 05:36 PM
I just finished my CART preview column for the paper. It is supposed to run Sunday morning. I thought I'd post it here for you to read in advance. I hope you like it.
--------------------------------------------------------
Race in peace: Chris Pook leads new-look CART series

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — A funny thing happened on the way to CART’s funeral. The deceased failed to show up.

Flowers had been ordered, the eulogy written, and the hearse was idling in the driveway.

But somebody forgot to tell Chris Pook. Or maybe he just wasn’t listening.

Either way, when the green flag drops for the start of the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg today, Pook will have officially pulled off one of the greatest miracles in sports management history.

As the 2002 race season wound down, auto racing pundits and scribes across the fruited plain declared the series dead.

CART, the home of Roger Penske, Chip Ganassi and Michael Andretti, was now the former home of Penske, Ganassi and Andretti.

All three had deserted the Champ Car Series for its bitter rival, the Tony George-led Indy Racing League. Engine manufacturers Honda and Toyota, which had pumped millions of dollars into the series and its teams, did the same. CART was a series without engines and without drivers.

Enter Pook. The first-year CEO faced a steep challenge, much like the one he faced when he organized and staged the first Long Beach Grand Prix in 1976.

Pook secured engines in the form of a two-year deal with Cosworth to be the sole supplier to the series. He secured series sponsorship from Cosworth’s parent company, Ford, and from Bridgestone. It was a much needed vote of confidence in Pook’s vision.

Pook promised at least 18 cars, the same number that ran at most CART events in 2002, would be on the grid come 2003. There are 19 on the St. Pete entry list.

Among them, Jimmy Vasser – the 1996 CART champ, Paul Tracy – the series’ active leader in race wins, and Bruno Junqueira and Patrick Carpentier, who finished second and third respectively in the 2002 season point standings.

Sure there are a lot of new faces and names to learn. But some of the greatest drivers in CART history were “unknowns” in the United States when they came on the scene. Juan Montoya and Alex Zanardi immediately come to mind. F3000 champion Sebastien Bourdais is expected to make an immediate impact on the series.

Sure some of the top teams are gone. But just as many of the top teams remain, such as Newman/Haas, Players/Forsythe, Patrick Racing, Team Rahal and Fernandez Racing.

And the new teams aren’t what you’d call second-tier. CART legend Emerson Fittipaldi has started a one-car team and plans to add a second car. Fellow former driver Stephan Johansson has started an All-American effort - appropriately named American Spirit Team Johansson – with Vasser and highly-touted rookie Ryan Hunter-Reay.

Then there’s PK Racing, owned by former Formula One big-wig Craig Pollack, and Rocketsports, owned by three-time Trans Am champion Paul Gentilozzi.

The on-track product looks to be more exciting than in recent years. Traction control has been banned and the new Ford-Cosworth engines have significantly more low-end torque, putting more of an emphasis on driver ability and less on computer engineer ability.

CART and Pook still face some significant issues, but these pale in comparison to the issues they have already overcome.

The funeral has officially been cancelled.

My St. Petersburg prediction: New track, new drivers, new rules. It’s a level playing field. Rookie Sebastien Bourdais (pronounced Bore-day) wins his first race.
--------------------------------------------------------

turn1
02-20-03, 05:38 PM
Well done my friend!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

lone_groover
02-20-03, 05:42 PM
:cool: :cool: A tip of the RayBans, big guy!:cool: :cool:

:thumbup:......................................... ...:thumbup:

racer2c
02-20-03, 06:05 PM
I liiiiiikkkkkkeee it!:thumbup:

Warlock!
02-20-03, 06:05 PM
Just an FYI that I got from one of CART's PR folks... ChampCar, ChampCar, ChampCar... CART should only be used to inform people what it was... they want us to keep saying ChampCar. That's right... ChampCar. That's the word they wanna sell. ChampCar. What's our series? That's right... ChampCar. Got it, ChampCar fan? Good. ;)

Good article, bro :thumbup:

Winter Warlock!

ChampCar!

Don Quixote
02-20-03, 06:09 PM
but, but, but, I thought CART was dead. This article should be forwarded to motorsports "journalists" nationwide so they can finally know the truth. :cool:

sundaydriver
02-20-03, 06:14 PM
Beautiful! Nice article. This is going to be a great year. :thumbup:

Ziggy
02-20-03, 06:40 PM
Rabbit

I realize you write for a living. This looks alot like the article by Steve Levinson titled "Cancel the funeral" that was posted at AR1 about 5 weeks ago.

otherwise "/|\ 1"

Ziggy

rabbit
02-20-03, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Rabbit

I realize you write for a living. This looks alot like the article by Steve Levinson titled "Cancel the funeral" that was posted at AR1 about 5 weeks ago.

otherwise "/|\ 1"

Ziggy

I hadn't read that article. Frankly, the articles on AR1 bore me. I only go there for the Rumors and Hot News pages. I'll have to check it out.

Any similarities are purely coincidental.

Ziggy
02-20-03, 06:51 PM
Frankly, the resemblance is uncanny. I dont doubt that you dont read AR1, but Im wondering how much email you get? and from whom?

Ziggy

mello
02-20-03, 07:04 PM
Wonderful job!

Lizzerd
02-20-03, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote
but, but, but, I thought CART was dead. This article should be forwarded to motorsports "journalists" nationwide so they can finally know the truth. :cool:

Don, rabbit IS a motorsports journalist. Just not nation wide... yet. But, I hear what you're saying. Would love to see this show up on the wire services and passed around to the nay-sayers.

Good work, rabbit.

rabbit
02-20-03, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Frankly, the resemblance is uncanny. I dont doubt that you dont read AR1, but Im wondering how much email you get? and from whom?

Ziggy Maybe I'm misinterpreting the question. Let me ask it back to you to make sure I get it right. Are you asking if I'm expecting to get email from AR1 readers accusing me of plagerizing Levinson? If so, the answer is, I don't know. They can accuse me all they want, but that piece is 100 percent my own. I have never and will never steal anyone else's work, nor have I ever been accused of it. It's not something I take lightly.

RTKar
02-20-03, 07:10 PM
Was that CHAMPCAR?

Ziggy
02-20-03, 07:17 PM
No, I doubt you get any mail from AR1 readers. I just happen to remember that article. It also happens to be written by a person that I know very well. It also happens to be very similar.

Plagerization is something that I take very seriously as well.

Good /\rticle

Ziggy

rabbit
02-20-03, 07:35 PM

GOFAST1
02-20-03, 08:44 PM
Very nice!:thumbup:

MightySurfClam
02-20-03, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by rabbit

Either way, when the green flag drops for the start of the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg today, Pook will have officially pulled off one of the greatest miracles in sports management history.

We're not even close to saying that. Lets wait till the end of the season, or at least the midway. Up to right now CART has had to put out tons of money to stop the bleeding and it remains to be seen if the bandage will hold.

As for CART/Champcar. Im confused. Or maybe CART marketing just clued in. For years everyone called it CART, except CART is a sanctioning body not a series. Its like calling F1 "FIA". There's CART Fedex Champcars, CART Atlantics, CART Barber Dodge, etc. So I understand renaming it from Fedex Champcar whatever to Bridgestone etc, but im not sure I understand the move away from the sanctioning identity suddenly. Hell if you call the corporate offices they answer "Champcar" and not "CART" which is a bit odd. Imagine if you called Daytona and they said "hello winston cup, thank you for calling"

I guess I just feel like if you constantly change your name and marketing you're going to have people thinking there's 5 OW series :p

rabbit
02-20-03, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by MightySurfClam
We're not even close to saying that. Outside of the diehards on internet message boards, how many people thought CART would turn a wheel in 2003? What he did, pulling together team owners, drivers, sponsors, engine and chassis suppliers. An organization that was written off less than a year ago is not only alive, but is kicking up a storm, and Chris Pook is the man who can take every ounce of credit for it.

chop456
02-20-03, 09:40 PM
CART has had to put out tons of money to stop the bleeding

Link?

mello
02-20-03, 09:46 PM
Rabbit posted a nice positive thread and where did it go? I for one will again say you did a wonderful job rabbit!!!!!

MightySurfClam
02-20-03, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by chop456
Link?

Check the sidepods at ASTJ (2) Coyne (2) Conquest (1) and PK (1) ;)

And do you really think the Royal Automobile Club are putting up that much money for CART?

Now I dont have a problem with ESP. However the problems havent been solved that caused the teams to lose money. The series itself just through money at it, so what do they do in 2004? There's a pretty unspectacular TV package and serious championship issues.

I see cars on the track, but I dont see solutions

nrc
02-20-03, 10:47 PM
I guess I just feel like if you constantly change your name and marketing you're going to have people thinking there's 5 OW series :p

A lot of people would argue that they didn't change their marketing, they just started it. This isn't a new approach. They did it with "IndyCar" back in the early '90s. The series brand name was the focus. That made sense except for the unfortunate detail that they didn't control the trademark.

Once that was taken away they wandered in the marketing desert for six years or so like they really didn't want to replace IndyCar with something else. Those days are over.

RacinM3
02-20-03, 10:53 PM
Great article. Thanks for the preview. I've never read anything remotely like it. :thumbup:

CART2Day
02-21-03, 09:34 AM
Rabbit- Great piece! Excellent explanation, and the 'tip' for pronouncing Bour-day is appreciated to educate too :D

turn1
02-21-03, 10:24 AM
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the question. Let me ask it back to you to make sure I get it right. Are you asking if I'm expecting to get email from AR1 readers accusing me of plagerizing Levinson? If so, the answer is, I don't know. They can accuse me all they want, but that piece is 100 percent my own. I have never and will never steal anyone else's work, nor have I ever been accused of it. It's not something I take lightly.

I have known and worked along side Rabbit for years. Trust me in my judgement that he is far far above "borrowing", "stealing" or and other plagaristic term. Drop the subject before I get angry!

:mad:

rabbit
02-21-03, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by turn1
I have known and worked along side Rabbit for years. Trust me in my judgement that he is far far above "borrowing", "stealing" or and other plagaristic term. Drop the subject before I get angry!

:mad: Thanks for rushing to my defense, but I don't think Ziggy or anyone is accusing me of plagarism, just merely pointing out the similarities. I have had the pleasure of meeting Ziggy and have a lot of respect for his knowledge and passion for the sport. Trust me, there is no Biggerfan.

racer2c
02-21-03, 04:42 PM
I thought you guys came here to get away from the 7G attitude :p

That was an insult right? Could you break it down for me because I have no idea what a brick stripe is

Wrong, we came here to get out from under the heavy fisted censorship and warm and fuzzy crowd.

Just a tip in helping to clear up what appears to be part of your confusion, FedEx is gone. Hope that helps a bit.

Ziggy
02-21-03, 05:36 PM
Rabbit, you would be correct. I was just pointing it out, and although I dont read your columns, if I did and saw something fishy, I would for sure notify you.

Turn1, you have a private message

Ziggy

cart7
02-21-03, 06:53 PM
Just read it. Great Job!!:D :thumbup:

mexican
02-23-03, 05:25 AM
The series itself just through money at it, so what do they do in 2004? There's a pretty unspectacular TV package and serious championship issues.

oh my goodness... I thought CCWS was dead come 2003 (or was that just CART?) The BPTCCWSPBF looks good today, it will look better in a month (si, muy bonito) and even better yet a month from that (dude).

so I guess it will be dead come 2004, at least in 2005, particularly if they do not earn any income in the following year or so. :rolleyes:

I see the deficiencies, I see the issues, and I do see attempts at solutions

but I digress... you're right, we're dead by 2006, I'll join you singing "you spin me right round baby right round, like a record player baby right round" but only until 2007, or 2008, by the time I give in (up)

nz_climber
02-24-03, 03:17 AM
Nice article rabbit - keep it up!! :)

would like to see more of your articles - so keep us informed

thanks

aaron

G.
02-24-03, 04:53 PM
Nice article, rabbit! Thanks for posting.

Any similarities to any other article merely confirms what we all know - it's the truth!

Jag_Warrior
02-25-03, 02:42 AM
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the question. Let me ask it back to you to make sure I get it right. Are you asking if I'm expecting to get email from AR1 readers accusing me of plagerizing Levinson? If so, the answer is, I don't know. They can accuse me all they want, but that piece is 100 percent my own. I have never and will never steal anyone else's work, nor have I ever been accused of it. It's not something I take lightly.

Yours is an entertaining and well written piece. Glad you're here. Since there have been SO many articles written about CART's death, I don't think it's surprising that there might be one or two... or TEN based on the fact that the CART Champ Car World Series is alive and well.

Without going into detail, you might get an e-mail from this person or that... strange people who think that they own thoughts and ideas. Mine, yours... everyone's. I took an oath in school, and I took it seriously. I'm funny about those sorts of things too. I'm so funny about it that I'll pay someone $150/hour to see that it gets straightened out, if need be. If you get any "interesting" e-mails, tell that person I said "hi" ;)

Great article! :thumbup:

Kiwifan
02-25-03, 03:59 AM
'They' really offended you didn't they Jag? I know how I feel when someone thinks that I have deliberately gone out of my way to deceive them in my shop. It's just something I would not do. Grrrr.

Good luck mate.

Rusty.

tomahawk
02-25-03, 08:43 AM
Who says the hare doesn't win the race? Great job rabbit!

:tomahawk

Jag_Warrior
02-25-03, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Kiwifan
'They' really offended you didn't they Jag? I know how I feel when someone thinks that I have deliberately gone out of my way to deceive them in my shop. It's just something I would not do. Grrrr.

Good luck mate.

Rusty.

Let's just say that 200 years ago, I'd have slapped someone's face with a leather glove, and we'd have been selecting pistols or swords. I guess ya can't do that now, so you call the "mouthpiece" the next day and see what basis there is for action. Yeah, that's one thing I'm very touchy about. :mad:

But what's great about this place is I'm seeing names that I wondered where they went. I won't bring any old baggage with me here. This CART season is one I've looked forward to more than any in recent memory. It's great to finally be able to discuss the upside for CART.

Spicoli
02-25-03, 09:57 PM
Check the sidepods at ASTJ (2) Coyne (2) Conquest (1) and PK (1) ;)

And do you really think the Royal Automobile Club are putting up that much money for CART?

Now I dont have a problem with ESP. However the problems havent been solved that caused the teams to lose money. The series itself just through money at it, so what do they do in 2004? There's a pretty unspectacular TV package and serious championship issues.

Uh-oh.

Did you check out those sidepods during the race? Do you have any proof of the financial dealings going on at those teams?

Another "concerned CART (ChampCar) fan?:rolleyes:

more proof that ChampCar is dead........ :

The Visteon Patrick Racing Champ Car World Series team in Indianapolis, USA, has secured new sponsorship from Infineon Technologies. Headquartered in Munich, Germany, the global semiconductor manufacturer has recently sponsored the triple Le Mans winning Audi Sport team, and remains in ALMS competition with Joest Racing. It also holds the naming rights at the Sears Point road circuit in Sonoma, CA.

www.patrickracing.com

Champ Car World Series team Dale Coyne Racing has agreed a new marketing partnership with the City of Lugano, Switzerland, the home town of driver Joel Camathias. The agreement is part of a series of plans by Lugano to raise awareness to the region's tourist and business opportunities.

www.champcarworldseries.com

The new, one-car PK Racing Champ Car World Series team, part-owned by former BAR F1 team principal Craig Pollock, has secured sponsorship from Optium. The company in Chalfont, PA, produces a proprietary device for transmitting and regenerating computer data.

www.optiumcorp.com

Three business partners of Johnson Controls have extended their relationship with the US company by signing as associate sponsors of Rocketsports Racing. The new co-sponsors of the debutant Champ Car World Series team in Lansing, MI, are Microchip Technology, Futaba and Big Lake Transport.

www.rocketsportsracing.com

Champ Car World Series team American Spirit Team Johansson has reached a sponsorship agreement with caffeine-free energy drink producer Merlins Energy Source. The deal will start from the next round of the series in Monterrey, Mexico, on March 23.

www.speedtv.com

rabbit
02-26-03, 01:10 AM
Great post Spicoli.:thumbup:
Where you at notsomightysurfclam?

mapguy
02-26-03, 07:52 AM

Ross is too busy trying to find new ways to pizz in out collective wheaties.

Spicoli
02-26-03, 08:07 AM

Thanks...

I just get really tired of people making assumptions about things in ChampCar.

Smack me if I get out of line. :)

Warlock!
02-26-03, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Spicoli
Smack me if I get out of line. :)
Eff the smackin'... I'm buyin' the next round! :cool:

I was just gonna link to your Crapwagon post that included those quotes, but I guess you saved me some time ;)

Winter Warlock!