PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 1.0

Ankf00
11-09-04, 10:55 AM
Officially released at 1am today :D

DOWN WITH IE :flame:

http://news.com.com/Mozilla+readies+Firefox+1.0+release/2100-1032_3-5443931.html

racer2c
11-09-04, 12:26 PM
Firefox 1.0 Released
The fabled Firefox 1.0 browser has now been released;

The Mozilla Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving choice and promoting innovation on the Internet, today announced the worldwide availability of the Mozilla Firefox 1.0 web browser. Development of Firefox has been driven by a desire for a more robust, user-friendly and trustworthy web experience. Mozilla Firefox 1.0 arrives on the heels of last month's highly successful Preview Release that over eight million people downloaded, contributing significantly to the final phase of its open source development.
The Mozilla Firefox browser has already garnered rave reviews and awards for its stability, trustworthiness and innovative features.

Pop-up Blocking — Firefox includes an integrated pop-up blocker that lets users-not websites-decide when they will view pop-ups. Mozilla continues to set the standard in assisting users avoid annoying pop-ups.
Online Fraud Protection — Firefox helps users protect themselves against online fraud such as "phishing" (attempts to trick users into giving away their passwords) and "spoofing" (fraudulent sites masquerading as popular, trusted sites) by clearly displaying the true identity of secure sites.
Faster, Easier, More Accessible Search — Firefox tightly integrates support for leading search services into the toolbar, including Google search, Yahoo!, eBay, Amazon, Dictionary.com, Creative Commons, and more. The new Firefox Start Page also provides access to Firefox information, resources and application tips, coupled with an integrated Google search box.
More Efficient Browsing — Firefox's innovative Tabbed Browsing allows many web pages to load within the same window, improving the speed and utility of web browsing. Firefox also introduces Live Bookmarks, which allows users to easily glance through the latest news and blog headlines.
Extensible with Hundreds of Add-ons — More than 100 extensions are available for Firefox today, including the A9.com, Google, and Yahoo! toolbars, which make Firefox even more customizable and convenient to use.
Easy Migration — With Firefox it's easy to switch from Internet Explorer and other browsers. Firefox imports your existing bookmarks, passwords, cookies, and other data.

nrc
11-09-04, 01:26 PM
Firefox: 90% less "suck" than IE. :)

tllips
11-09-04, 01:34 PM
Will sites that "require" IE be able to run on Firefox? Or will I still get the message that states something to the effect "you are not supporting the almighty Bill Gates! Please do to access our site." :shakehead

Cam
11-09-04, 02:07 PM
Will sites that "require" IE be able to run on Firefox? Or will I still get the message that states something to the effect "you are not supporting the almighty Bill Gates! Please do to access our site." :shakehead

FF has an extension you can d/l and install called "User Agent Switcher". Basically if you hit one of those damn sites, you go into the switcher and FF will lie and tell the web site it is IE running on WinblowsXP.

I use it on my Linux boxen. Works 90% of the time! :D

CART T. Katz
11-09-04, 02:30 PM
i am a pretty dedicated opera user (now using opera 7.6 rc2). however the one thing that i do have a question about is with ff plugins. is there any known documentation if they would work with opera?

nothing against ff. i just prefer opera. at least it isn't explorer.

IlliniRacer
11-09-04, 07:14 PM
i am a pretty dedicated opera user (now using opera 7.6 rc2). however the one thing that i do have a question about is with ff plugins. is there any known documentation if they would work with opera?

nothing against ff. i just prefer opera. at least it isn't explorer.

Nothing wrong at all with Opera. I really like the tabbed transfer console. Its great when you downloading lots of stuff.

JLMannin
11-09-04, 09:56 PM
Do virus writers support Firefox yet?

IlliniRacer
11-09-04, 10:37 PM
Do virus writers support Firefox yet?

Do you mean Anti-virus software like McAfee, Norton etc.? Yes. Antivirus software works just as good with Firefox.

Classic Apex
11-09-04, 10:48 PM
Awesome.

Thanks for the heads-up, Ank.

:cool:

Clown
11-09-04, 11:33 PM
'fox owns :D

JLMannin
11-10-04, 09:02 PM
Do you mean Anti-virus software like McAfee, Norton etc.? Yes. Antivirus software works just as good with Firefox.

I was writing my question cynically. Is Firefox vulnerable to viruses (or is it viri?) that are targeted towards IE?

Turn7
11-10-04, 09:36 PM
In cellabration on doing my first readhat installasion the other day, I downloaded FF and am currently utalizing it to view this webpage.

Is their and extintion for FireFox liek ieSpellcheck?

(I think Im gonna need it!) :gomer:

Turn7
11-10-04, 09:56 PM
Found one with google. Spellbound 0.6. I tried to correct my above message and it only had suggestions for about 50 % of my blatant misspellings.

Can anybody suggest a better extension?

Sean O'Gorman
11-10-04, 09:57 PM
In cellabration on doing my first readhat installasion the other day, I downloaded FF and am currently utalizing it to view this webpage.

Is their and extintion for FireFox liek ieSpellcheck?

(I think Im gonna need it!) :gomer:

http://images.honda-tech.com/set1/smile/embeer.gif

EDIT: Oops, I see you did that on purpose. :o

Clown
11-10-04, 09:58 PM
They sooo have to dump the standard theme though :rolleyes: :shakehead
And now I have to wait a few weeks for a new compatable version of Qute :(

dando
11-10-04, 11:53 PM
That depends...if the problem is a rendering issue (poor Web page display), the UA spoofing extension will help. However, if a site uses Active-X (aka: craptiveX), then you will need to use IE. There is (was?) an extension for running Active-X controls in FF, but I found it problematic during the early preview releases. You will definitely not be able to use FF with the Windows Update Service for non-automatic updates like XP SP2.

Also, in some cases you will find that the UA for FF is misidentifed as Mozilla or NS, which could result in blocking access. This problem should be limited since the more recent NS releases (7.0+) and Mozilla are more widely supported.

Otherwise, get rid of IE as your primary browser and party on!

-Kevin

dando
11-10-04, 11:56 PM
I was writing my question cynically. Is Firefox vulnerable to viruses (or is it viri?) that are targeted towards IE?
In short, security in FF is handled much differently than in IE...of course that suggests that IE has security. :saywhat: However, never say never, as it could be possible that a common hole is exploited, but not likely.

-Kevin

dando
11-11-04, 12:00 AM
Easy Migration — With Firefox it's easy to switch from Internet Explorer and other browsers. Firefox imports your existing bookmarks, passwords, cookies, and other data.

While I like the importing of bookmarks, importing of passwords and cookies seems like a violation of security, @ least in spirit. :thumdown:

-Kevin

nrc
11-11-04, 12:20 PM
While I like the importing of bookmarks, importing of passwords and cookies seems like a violation of security, @ least in spirit. :thumdown:

-Kevin

If it's possible to just import them without any kind of master key then they were never really secure to begin with.

dando
11-11-04, 01:04 PM
If it's possible to just import them without any kind of master key then they were never really secure to begin with.
I did not mean security as in secure or encrypted. My point is that the reasoning behind policies like P3P was to prevent sites from reading cookies from other sites. This should extend to software as well. I'm a FF fan, but this is a very slippery slope.

-Kevin

chop456
11-21-04, 09:30 AM
I've been using it for about 3 days now and I love it. The search window, the window tabs, the document search and the latest headlines pull-down. All very cool. :thumbup: